Three Cheers To London And Qatar
London To Host 2017 Worlds And Qatar Made Sure They Paid A Ton To Do It More money for the sport is a good thing, although we think the British taxpayers could be on the hook if things don't go as planned. London, however, says it will sell $1 Billion in Sponsorship.
*Doha Got London To Guarantee £4.5 Million More At Last Second
*Although Qatar Lost London 2017, It May Get 2020 Olympics And has the 2022 World Cup.
*Denise Lewis On Seb Coe: "Lord Coe's speech made the hairs on my neck stand up."
*Australia's Gold Coast Gets 2018 Commonwealth Games
Eugene Gets 2014 World Juniors
More Int'l News: Howard Aris President Of Jamaican Athletics Federation Has Died
*Teddy Tamgho To Return To Training This Month
*It's Official: Lukas V Leaving Oregon For Triathlon Hard to believe one of
the best high school runners'
college career lasted less time than Kim Kardashian's marriage. Lukas is leaving the Ducks 2 days before regionals. Hard to believe no adult told him to wait until after the season - wait a minute - it's hard to believe the adults are all gone and having teams jump from conference to conference with no loyalty whatsoever. In the year 2011, self interest rules.
*Oregon Release *USA Triathlon Release
*Message Board: It's Official Lukas Is Leaving
LRC NCAA Regional And National Fan Polls Released Wisconsin solidifies its spot as #1 while FSU stays on top on the women's side.
- IAAF Gets Smart - Top 15 Finish At World XC Now = "A" Standard In 10,000 Also Diamond League winners will automatically be placed in the World Champs, but a country is still limited to a max of 4 per event.
- IAAF Stays Stupid - List Of IAAF World Junior Records - Sadly, Isaiah Koech Has 2 German Fernandez has one.
LRC Exclusive LetsRun.com's (JK's) Official 2011 NCAA XC Regional XC Predictions
Discuss: MB: LetsRun.com's (JK's) Official 2011 NCAA XC Regional XC Predictions And you can always give us your predictions in the LRC NCAA Fan Polls.
Bureaucratic News - Radcliffe's Record Stands
- IAAF: Paula Radcliffe's World Record Will Stand But So Will No Pacemaking Rule Meanwhile, the IAAF will do nothing to all of the doped world records. *AP Article On IAAF Rule
- USATF Paid Doug Logan $1.095 Million In Legal Settlement
- Phil Hersh Gets Something Right: London, Not Sexist Doha, Should Get 2017 Bid Meanwhile, some wonder if Hersh's anti-Hall rants are related to Hall's faith.
- A Look At Where The Various Will Be Training In Britain Pre 2012 The US will be in Birmingham.
- NYC Marathon App Fails To Work As Promised & App Maker Says Too Many People Were Using It The app users now know how we feel when we try to watch most races online.
Big Drug News
- Will He Spill The Beans? Steve Mullings Skips Drug Hearing As He Fears For His Life In Jamaica *Pre-Hearing: Official Refuse To Re-Test His "B" Sample
- Pan AM LJ Gold Medallist Tests Positive Venezuelan LJer Victor Castillo tested positive for methylhexaneamine, which is found in energy drinks. Sympathy? Not so much. A 2-time offender - he may be banned for life.
- More Sprint News: All Of MVP Track Club Medallists, Including Asafa Powell Have Started Training For London 2012
2011 ING NYC Marathon *Men's Results *Women's Results *Viewing Info *Flash Yahoo Photos
LRC 2:05:06!!! Geoffrey Mutai Caps Year In Style An unbelievable year in men's marathoning had an appropriate finish, as the Kenyan man who had the most unbelievable of all years, Geoffrey Mutai, smashed the previous NYC Marathon record by a stunning 2:38 - that's two minutes and 38 seconds. If it wasn't the
greatest 2nd-greatest men's marathon performance
ever, you'll have to tell us what was. American Meb Keflezighi hung with the leaders for 20 miles after a blistering 63:16 1st half and ended up with a much-deserved PR. Mutai picked up $200,000 by winning, but the big financial winner was runner-up Emmanuel Mutai, who won $635,000 ($500,000 for the WMM title).
LRC Mary Keitany Beats Herself The women's race was full of gut-wrenching drama, as Mary Keitany went out in a crazy 67:56. The problem was she came back in 74:42, as unheralded Firehiwot Dado (Rome Marathon champ) got the win.
LRC Post Race Interviews: Meb And His Coach Bob Larsen Talks About His PR Despite Throwing Up Plus the winners Geoffrey Mutai, Firehiwot Dado, men's and women's top 3, Ed Moran, Molly Pritz, Lauren Fleshman and Bobby Curtis.
NYC On The Boards:
- Official New York Marathon Thread
- If That Wasn't The Greatest Marathon Ever Run, What Was
- How fast has New York M to be comparable to 2"03'38 ?
- How Bout Some Props to Meb Keflezighi
- NYC Mens preview - Brojos giving too much credit to Geoffrey Mutai
NYRR Dash To The Finish Line 5k *Results
LRC Chris Thompson, Sara Hall Win, Ritz Is 3rd (link fixed) Hall continued her fine fall campaign with the win in this race that serves as a huge NYRR recruiting tool. Most importantly for US distance fans, Dathan Ritzenhein did well and emerged from the race healthy (link fixed to story with Hall interview).
LRC Healthy Ritz Talks About Marathon Trials, His Track Ambititions And More After double foot surgery in March, a healthy Ritz ran what was likely his only race before the Olympic Marathon Trials in 10 weeks. He talked about his preparations for the Marathon Trials, his desire to run faster on the track, and showed he stil has a lot of fire: "The talent's still there. I'm still young. I'm 28 so hopefully I just keep getting better."
College XC News - 2 Great Articles
- Aspiring College Journalists, Read This Well-Written Article AZ Student Newspaper Profiles The Amazing Lawi Lalang, Who Gets Tons Of Praise From Coach Li Li, who knows a thing or two about Kenyan phenoms, as he coaches Bernard Lagat, says Lalang is truly special: "I have not seen someone in college running as well as he is and I've had a lot of Olympic-level athletes over the years. He's very exceptional, this one is for real."
- Indy Star: IU Men Ran Boldly In Trying To Beat Wisco - Hoping They Would They Crack - But In The End, The Hoosiers Cracked "I wish we could be the Big Ten champions," Helmer said. "I think we could have won all but one other conference championship in the country this weekend." The Hoosiers placed seven runners ahead of Wisconsin's sixth man. If scoring had been for seven instead of five, the Badgers' margin would have been 100-120. "They're not intimidating. They're just good," IU grad student Adrien Dannemiller said. "They're ranked No. 1 in the country for a reason."
SEC: Arkansas Men, Vanderbilt Women Win SECs Easily Eric Fernandez and Kristen Gillespie of Arkansas got the individual crowns.
Big 10s: Ignore The Rankings, We Have A Favorite For NCAAs Wisconsin Men Win 13th-Straight Big 10 Title In Dominant Fashion The Badgers made a mockery of the rest of the Big 10 by scoring 17 points vs. a talented Indiana team. *Results *MB: Big 10 Talk
*Michigan State Women Repeat In 3rd Closest Big 10 Meet In History 55 to 61 over Michigan. *Women's Results
PAC-12s: Wetmore Works His Magic As Colorado Sweeps *Results The PAC-12 is the new super XC conference. The CU men edged Stanford, and the women, who were only picked 4th coming in in the latest LRC polls (and 6th in the national coaches polls), pulled the upset.
*Colorado AD Is Particularly Thrilled As Colorado Had Won One Game In All Sports In PAC-12 Until The XC Titles "Just what the doctor ordered," according to the AD.
*Wetmore Gives His Teams A Grades For Their Showing - Refuses To Give Out A+ Since Colorado Isn't In The Ivy League & Doesn't Practice Grade Inflation "I would give it an A and an A and that's as high as I get. This isn't Harvard," Wetmore said.
*Katie Flood Surprise Winner At PAC-12s
*Stanford's Jason Dunn Disappointed A 5th Man Didn't Step Up
*Lananna On His Young Squad: "I thought the guys did a pretty good job."
On The Boards: PAC-12 Update Thread *Craig Lutz > Lukas Verzbicas *Bad day for Hasay?
Big 12s: German Fernandez And Oklahoma State Win Men's Crowns Iowa State Wins Womens
On The Boards: GERMAN FTMFW
Heps: Princeton Men, Cornell Women Win In The Snow! Congrats to friend of LRC Artie Smith for his first conference title. And if you want to see what can be done in terms of conference coverage with almost no budget, check out this link. *Heps XC On The Boards
Big East: Villanova Men Win Convincingly, Women Edge Providence (Results)
*Marcus O'Sullivan Impressed By Men's Win: "We had an unbeatable effort today."
ACC: Florida State Women Dominate, NC State Men Edge FSU Kendra Schaaf dominated on the women's side as Ryan Hill won on the men's. *ACCs On The Boards *Kendra Schaaf is back!
West Coast Conference: Portland Pilots Amazing 32-Year Conference Win Streak Is Snapped In Year 1 Of Legit Competition - BYU 25, Portland 32 More NCAA On The Boards: BYU vs. Portland Portland's 32-year conference XC streak came to an end.
NCAA Regionals Get Underway At 12 Eastern Today
Distance Triathlon News
Phil Hersh Talks To Lukas Verzbicas After He Quits On Oregon 3/4 Of The Way Through The Season Lukas' stepfather (a triathlon coach) reportedly wanted him to stay longer at Oregon. If this is Lukas' decision, then he deserves to be treated as an adult and criticized for quitting on his teammates.
- Oregon Men A Big Underdog At Regionals, Women Close To Doing Something Special Register Guard
- Lisa Koll Uhl Is Now Married, Back Racing Again, And Admits She Wasn't Sure About Kara Goucher Joining Her Group Now she's encouraged by it. And in case you didn't know, Adam Goucher retired this week. For inspiring half a generation of distance runners, it seems like he deserves more coverage.
- Simon Bairu To Try To Get Canadian Olympic Standard (Sub-2:11:59) At Houston Marathon
- USATF Profile On Molly Pritz Running Times did one yesterday.
International Distance News
- Sunday: There May Not Be World Cross This Year, But Pro XC Starts In Spain With Imange Merga And Linet Masai Racing
- Vivian Cheruiyot Has Had An Incredible 2011 She's up for athlete of the year versus Sally Pearson and Valerie Adams.
- Kenyan Paper: Vivian Cheruiyot Deserves IAAF Athlete Of The Year
- After Striking Out As A Sheep Seller And Maize Farmer, Wilson Chebet Turned To Running Guys like this drove Lukas V to the triathlon.
- Ethiopian 1-2 Dado And Deba Celebrated NYC Triumph In Ethiopian Restaurant In NYC
- Wejo Was Right - Deadspin's Report Was Wrong - Usain Bolt Has Zero Contact With Doper Angel Hernandez Usain Bolt's agent Ricky Simms has no idea how Bolt got associated with Hernandez. "I have no idea why Usain's name was brought up. Usain has no connection with any of these people. Nobody from Team Bolt has any connection or knows any of these people." Fortunately for the sport, LetsRun.com co-founder Weldon Johnson realized Bolt is so good that boxing trainers were referring to sprinters in general as Usain Bolt.
- Angel "Memo" Heredia Files Defamation Suit Against Victor Conte
- Crazy: Floyd Landis Gets Convicted Of Hacking Into French Doping Lab's Computer How he knew how to do that is beyond us.
- Steve Mullings' Lawyers Challenge Integrity Of Sample
- Portugese European Bronze Medallist Sara Moreira Says Tests Vindicate Her From Positive Doping Test At WCs Nope. It just shows the supplement she was taking included banned substances. She's still responsible for taking the supplement.
Post NYC News
- Runner With MS Finishes NYC Marathon In 31 Hours The 23rd year she has finished on crutches. Remarkable.
- Remarkable: NY 3rd Placer Kebede: "I only got one month's training" After Suffering Foot Injury Kebede certainly is a talent and the foot problem apparently is what explains his subpar London.
- After Getting Kicked Out of Hansons-Brooks, Molly Pritz Wanted To Quit The Sport - Now She's The Top American At NY Dating between team members was a no-no, so she was forced to leave.
Bryan Clay Has Been Named The 2011 Visa Humanitarian Of The Year By USA Track & Field In the six years since Clay established his foundation, he has raised more than $140,000 for schools and impacted the lives of thousands of children.
Craig Mottram Reflects On 2011 - Looks Ahead To 2012 People forget he was top 20 at World XC.
He Will Be Missed Adam Goucher Retires Goucher is having knee surgery on Friday and says his competitive racing career is over. We've always said that one way to judge whether a runner's
career was a good one or not is simple: Were They Good Enough That They Could Retire Or Just Quit? Goucher certainly is retiring, as he had an INCREDIBLE career - Foot Locker champ, NCAA champ indoors, NCAA champ outdoors
and NCAA champ in XC, USA champ in XC and track and an Olympian. Goucher is a runner at heart and we wouldn't rule out seeing him in the 2016 Marathon Trials.
*MB: Adam Goucher retires
Great News: Missing Alaska Anchorage Runner Found Alive 2.5 Days Later Marko Cheseto went missing at 7 pm on Sunday morning and was found at 3
am Wednesday with big time frostbite. No one is really sure what happened and he may lose his feet, but the great news is he's alive.
*MSBNC: Not Wearing Hat Or Gloves, Shoes Were Frozen To His Feet & All He Could Say Was "911" The report also says he was upset about his teammates' suicide but has near a 4.0 GPA.
*Student Newspaper *Coverage From Britain
Previous: Kenyan Athlete Feared Dead In Alaska
- Phil Hersh Takes Another Shot At Ryan Hall Via Twitter Tweeted, "Ryan Hall, you're no Meb Keflizighi." *MB: Phil Hersh - Bashing Hall (Again)
- World Marathon Majors Making Fleshman Remove A Promo Tattoo
- WP: Could A Sub-2 Hour Marathon Happen Soon? Meb says yes. LetsRun.com says, "No way."
- Geoffrey Mutai Says He Writes All His Own Workouts; Patrick Makau Thinks Mutai Can Definitely Break His WR
- Quick Chat With Patrick Makau
- Lauren Fleshman's Blog: The NYC Marathon, Part 1
- Will 1-2 Finish In N.Y. Carry Firehiwot Dado And Buzunesh Deba To London Olympics?
NYC Coverage Continues *Video Highlights
- Recommended Read: Track & Field Superfan: "Five Things We Learned In New York" "This year, however, we've really seen what you can get out of a lack of pacemakers: interesting races. All the races on pancake-flat courses that use a 'flying V of pacesetters' end up being solo efforts against the clock. Great headlines, boring viewing. ... Competition, joy, pain, the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat. An outcome not determined until the very end. The reasons we compete and the reasons we watch competition. You can't have these with pacemakers."
- With Nothing To Prove, Meb Keflezighi Still Affirming His Greatness Meb says he doesn't like to "Tweet" about his training, but he has a training log that goes back to 1993.
- "Kenyan Athletes Rule The Roost In Big City Marathons" Kenyans have won 83 out of the 100 marathons this year and hold the top 24 positions in the world marathon rankings. Paul Tergat: "My fear is that Kenyans may be restricted in future marathon races as we have seen in the past."
Non-LRC Coverage Of New York
*Recommended Read: NY Times Recap: Geoffrey Mutai Wins New York Marathon With Course Record 7 years ago and unable to afford surgery needed for an injury, Mutai went to work as a lumberjack.
*Recommended Read #2: SI's David Epstein (A LRC Fan) Writes A Great Piece On The Evolution Of The Marathon Mary Keitany's coach says the reason is $$$imple: "In Kenya, if you don't go to the marathon, you remain a farmer. So talented athletes are coming right to the marathon without spending time in track."
*Rookie American Ed Moran Admits His 2:11 (10th Place) Was "Better Than I Hoped For"
*The NYT Takes A Look At The Elite Athletes' Pre-Race Heated Tent & Pre-Race Rituals
Women: *Kim Smith Is Happy & Disappointed With Her 5th-Place 2:25:46 Performance She was happy to run well in NY but disappointed to not finish in the top 3. "It was a much better run than I did in London when I set my PB where it is a very flat course.''
*Lauren Fleshman (2:37:23) Calls The Marathon "The Hardest Thing I've Ever Done"
*Recommended Read: Jere Longman Looks At Why Women's Marathoning Is So Far Behind Men's Nice quotes from Deena Kastor & Mark Wetmore.
*Brit Jo Pavey Boosts Olympic Chances With 9th-Place Finish She ran 2:28:42.
*Paula Radcliffe In New York To Cheer For Charity Is "Perversely Relaxed" As Olympics Near Radcliffe has just started training twice a day after having foot surgery.
Celebs: *Chilean Miner Pena Drop Out Of NYC Marathon
*Recap Of Celebrities Runs, Including Grete Waitz's Husband, Who Ran 3 Hours, 50 Minutes, 41 Seconds
- RIP Former Oregon Runner, Rhiannon Glenn Hull Hull drowned last week in Costa Rica while swimming at the beach with her youngest son. She was able to hand her son to a nearby teenager before being pulled under.
- HS Cross-Country Runner Dedicates County Championship Win To His Mother, Who Has Terminal Cancer
- Sam Chelanga Joins The OTC
- Ed Cheserek Running Foot Locker, Futsum Zeinasellassie's Running NXN And Foot Locker
Frankfurt *Larger Image Of Kipsang At Finish
Frankfurt: Oh-So-Close: 2:03:42 - Wilson Kipsang's World Record Assault Comes Up Just Short IAAF The world of marathoning continues to be simply amazing
on the men's side.
*AP Recap Levy Matebo was second (2:05:16) and Albert Matebor third (2:05:25) as the women's CR was broken by Mamitu Daska (2:21:59).
Pre-Race: Last Year's 2:04:57 Course Record Holder Wilson Kipsang Says World Record Can Fall At Sunday's BMW Frankfurt Marathon Kipsang may be getting a bit ahead of himself, but he's very good. More on Kipsang here.
Trying To Inspire The Next Generation
Monday's Quote Of The Day: "Who did I beat? I beat the demons within me." - Billy Mills in a Washington Post profile. Good read.
Gary Reed Hopes To Bring Track Back To Life "I don't know that a lot of people want to admit that, but I know it's dying. The next generation is really struggling. The numbers from junior to senior are falling off like crazy and I, as someone who got my whole life from track, would love to leave the sport better off than what I found it."
Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Results *Yahoo Photos
LRC Moses Mosop A Superstar, Liliya Shobukhova Becomes Second-Fastest Woman Ever Updated Moses Mosop dominated the final miles in Chicago after Wesley Korir tried to make it interesting. Russian Liliya Shobukhova ran 2:18:20 to become the second-fastest woman ever. American Ryan Hall ran 2:08:04 for 5th. Great for any other American marathoner, so-so for him.
LRC: Wesley Korir Impresses With 2:06:15 Second Place In Chicago The former Louisville Cardinal broke the race up with a surge at 30km. Afterwards, he revealed what he was trying to do.
Ryan Hall Says He Needs More Time At Sea Level To Work On Turnover RW
LRC Non-Quotes Of The Day From 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Hall talks about what 2:08 means, Canova talks about the world record.
LRC Quick Recap With Men's Splits: Moses Mosop Breaks Course Record At 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon, Shobukhova Runs 2:18:20
NYC Men's Photo Gallery
NYC Women's Photo Gallery
NYC Marathon Men's Highlights
NYC Women's Highlights
Meb Talks About His PR And Answers The Question Whether He Actually Runs In Skechers (More Here)
Ritz On The Marathon Trials, His Training And The 10k (More Here)
Friday's NYRR Live Show: Elite Men - G. Gebremariam Sounds Confident
LRC NCAA Polls Open
LetsRun.com NCAA National And Regional Polls Open Tell us who the top 10 teams are in the country and who the will make nationals in each region.
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was: Wilson Kipsang's Near Miss, US Men's Marathoners Vs. Frankfurt, Mark Wetmore And CU At PAC-12s And The Wisconsin Men At Big 10s We take at look at Wilson Kipsang's near world record run in Frankfurt, discuss how the entire history of US men's marathoning was eclipsed in Frankfurt and then turn to a discussion of NCAA XC action.
Wilson Kipsang Just Misses World Record (And Coolest Finish Of A Marathon We've Seen)
Training Corner (More In The Training Forum)
- Anyone else run hard workouts in the very-early morning?
- Stitches, breathing, and racing
- Anyone ever made a comeback after something serious (cancer)?
- I lost the spark between me and running
- How to develop speed endurance
BMW Berlin Marathon Photos! Makau Takes Geb's World Record
A Scintillating Men's 10,000 Finish (US Visitors Only)
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Lydiard vs magill vs malmo for summer cross country training
- Couple questions about summer training?
- Peter Snell Interview and his thoughts on Lydiard training
- Sprinter to Distance : My quest to run sub 2
Universal Sports Back To Top