2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Is October 9th
- Good Things In 3s? 33-Year-Old Liliya Shobukhova Will Be Looking To Be 1st Person To Win 3 Straight Chicago Titles This Fall If she does, she'll pick up another $500,000 WMM bonus.
- RRW On Liliya Shobukhova "There is no secret in my training ... I always try to run the second half faster than the first half. Even if it is very hard to run, I try to run the second half two to three seconds (per kilometer) faster than the first."
Football/Track Stars In The News
- Jeff Demps Talks About His Decision To Turn Down $$ To Return To Football The article says he turned down "millions." We are almost certain that's not true.
- From Late July: It's Official: Jeff Demps Postponing Pro Track Career For 1 More Year Of Football
- VTech TJumper David Wilson Has Amassed 2,096 All-Purpose Yards And Scored 15 Touchdowns In Part-Time Duty Over Last 2 Years
World University Games *Schedule/Results *Watch Live Here *Photos (Note: The time in China is 12 hours ahead of EST (NY))
- Cas Loxsom (1:52.09) And Ryan Martin (1:49.90) Get Out of 800 1st Round Both were the last auto qualifiers in their heats.
- Jamaicans Sweep 100m Titles In 11.05 And 10.14
- Oregon's NCAA Champ Anne Kesselring Gets 7th As Two Russians Break 2:00
- World University Games Photo Gallery Oregon's NCAA Champ Anne Kesselring Advances To The 800m Final
- Recommended Watch? Japan's Suguru Osako Wins Men's 10k In 28:42.83 Russia's Sergey Rybin went out in 13:53 and got a huge lead but totally fell apart and ended up getting passed on the last lap before he staggered off the track with 200 left.
- Turkey's Fadime Suna Wins In Her Debut 10K
London Bids For 2017 World Champs
- London 2012 To Repeat In 2017?
- British Sports Minister Believes Hosting In 2017 Would Be "Pefect Legacy" For 2012 Games
More World Champs Updates
- Prize Money Breakdown For Daegu Top 8 pay out with $60,000 to the winner and an extra $100,000 for a world record.
- Things Aren't Looking Good For Caster Semenya According to the article, the defending champ is not getting on well with her coach, has been late to practices/just "doing her own thing" and is overweight and slow. Also says the real reason she skipped World University Games was because lack of prize money.
- Where Has World 1,500 Champ Yusuf Kamel Been? He has only competed once this year (1:46.89 800 in July). The article doesn't mention any injury, just makes it sound like he didn't feel like training hard.
- David Rudisha Tech Savvy In these pictures it's hard to say whether he's sponsored by Adidas or Apple.
- A Brief Chat With Jenny Simpson Ahead Of Worlds She said she's learned a lot about good 1,500m racing tactics from watching Morgan Uceny.
- Poland's Pawel Wojciechowski Sets NR And World Lead With 5.91m In Pole Vault
- Kenyan Teammates Linet Masai And Vivian Cheruiyot Will Battle It Out In Worlds 10 *2nd article on Masai
- The US Has Had Only One HJ World Champ, But As The World Leader Going Into Daegu, Jesse Williams Could Be The Second
- Olympic 1,500 Champ Nancy Jebet Langat: "I need a World Championships gold medal in my title collections."
- Belgium, Bulgaria, Israel, Moldova, Portugal, Slovenia And Switzerland Name Their Teams
- Kenya's 4 X 4 Team Looking To Break Their Medal Drought
- Allyson Felix's Pre-Worlds Diary: Says She Thinks The Universal Blood Testing Is A Great Idea
Everyone Is Wondering The Same Thing: What Kind Of Shape Is Bekele In?
Kenenisa Bekele's Manager Says He Is Definitely Running Worlds 10k And That He Is "Training Well" He has never lost a 10k on the track, but he also hasn't raced since Jan. 2010 and hasn't raced on the track since Sept. 2009. As defending champ, Bekele could do both the 10k and 5k, which his manager says he might depending on how the 10k goes. *MB: Game On: Kenenisa Is Going Try To Defend His Title
Athletes Feeling The Anticipation Ahead Of World Champs
- Brief Chat With Shalane Flanagan "I don't know if I'd even consider myself a master at the 10,000. Each race is so different. And that's how I approach even the World Championships right now, just kind of with an open mind. There is literally every kind of race."
- Some Comments From Matt Centrowitz, Andrew Wheating, And HJer Jesse Williams Ahead Of WCs Centrowitz definitely seems physically and mentally ready to go. Wheating, on the other hand, has lowered his expectations some after having to end his European circuit early with a hamstring problem.
- Nick Willis Analyzes His Competition At Worlds In His Blog He also says his last bit of training has gone great.
- Ever Wonder How Runners Even Get Into Racewalking In The First Place? By Accident, Of Course In her school days, Kenya's Grace Wanjiru was a 5,000 specialist. But at one meet she showed up late and missed the 5k, so did the race walk instead because it was the only event left. Now she has the African 20k walk record and is going to Worlds.
- IAAF Walks Through The Career And Beginnings Of Mo Farah From An Eight-Year-Old Star To Current World Beater Farah: "I've always been confident, but once you start winning, it really whets your appetite for more."
- Jenny Barringer Simpson Says She's In About As Good A Spot As She Can Be "Sometimes I think the job of someone in the position I'm in is just relaxing and saying, 'OK, I have to stop looking for more things.' Sometimes the pursuit of the perfect situation never ends for people. Sometimes you need to say, 'OK, I found it, now let's make it work.'" She also says she misses the steeplechase and hints that could be her focus next year for the 2012 Olympics.
- With No Title To Defend, Rudisha Not Feeling Pressure
- Delilah DiCrescenzo's Injury Is A 2nd Chance For Stephanie Garcia Garcia was in 3rd with 200 to go at USAs, but fell in the last water pit.
*Columbia's DiCrescenzo Out Of Worlds, But The Ivy League Will Still Have 5 Alums In Daegu
- Q&A With Germany's 9:35 Junior Steeplechaser Gesa Felicitas Krause, Who Won Euro Junior Champs
Other World Champs News:
- Lead Scientist Hugh Herr, Who Helped Oscar Pistorius Win His Case With The CAS, Has His Say However, his main evidence is the lack of evidence against Pistorious; he doesn't even defend his own study. Does make a good point, though, that Michael Johnson wouldn't be running the 400 near 30 seconds if he was a double amputee,
so Pistorious' legs probably aren't a 10-12 second advantage as some have said.
*Pistorius Popular In Korea Despite Controversy Over Participation
- Germany Names Their World Champs Roster Led by their discus world champ Robert Harting and hammer WR holder Betty Heidler.
It's Official (Sort Of): Steve Mullings Left Off Jamaica Team For Worlds But Jamaican officials left themselves an out by saying "... if the matter is resolved in his favour, there is a provision
where he (Mullings) can be re-instated at a later date." The Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission disciplinary panel for Mullings is next Monday, August 22, only 5 days before Worlds start.
*Jamaica Names The Rest Of Their Team
Week That Was
LRC Week That Was In our weekly recap, LetsRun urges everyone to calm down on the anti-doping front so mass hysteria doesn't turn the Mike Rodgers and Steve Mullings cases into a repeat of the Salem witch trials; then we wonder if history will repeat itself again at the 2011 Worlds if Kenenisa Bekele tries to do what Haile G couldn't do in 2001; we then introduce you to the score of America's 3:55 milers on the year and tell you how lucky Gabe Jennings was to be born in 1979 and not 1989. We end the weekly recap by turning our famed analysis to the sprint world. All of that plus an old-fashioned lesson in sportsmanship and lots of talk about New Balance Falmouth.
From Sunday: Thorpe Cup: German Men Win Decathlon, US Women Win The Heptathlon On the men's side Ashton Eaton, Trey Hardee, and Bryan Clay all competed. Eaton did especially well, running 10.26 in the 100m to come within .04 seconds of the 100m decathlon WR. *Full Results
Update: Mike Rodgers Waiting On A Hearing And "B" Sample Test To Find Out If He's Eligible For Worlds Penalties for a positive test for stimulants can range from a warning to a suspension of several months. His agent wants to emphasize that he tested positive for a stimulant, and not "steroids or anything of that nature."
New Balance Falmouth *Full Results *Mile Results *Mile Photos *Men's Mile Video *Women's Mile Video
*American Lewy Boulet Wins Falmouth While Kenyan Lucas Rotich Gets Men's Title With the overall and American, win she "double-dipped" and pocketed 20 thousand. US steeplechaser Brian Olinger was 4th overall and 1st American on the men's side as Abdi Abdirahman was 5th and Ben True was 6th.
*Jordan McNamara Wins Falmouth Mile In 3:54.89, Leads Ten Sub-Four Jeff See was 2nd (3:55.24) as AJ Acosta was 3rd (3:55.30). Will Leer was back in 8th (3:58.41). McNamara won $3,000 for his victory ($2,000 for the win plus $1,000 for breaking four minutes).
*Falmouth Prize Money Draws Big USA Field, But May Impact Strategy With so much American-only prize money on the line, the fear is it could turn into two separate races, one between Americans and one with everyone else ahead. Isn't that ususally the case? The 1st and 2nd place Americans will make more than last year, but 3rd place gets the same in American-only money.
Falmouth Pre-Race News
Boston Globe: "Falmouth's Essence Remains The Same" But some things have changed. How about this: "When Bill Rodgers
this seaside ramble in 1974 he lost money on
the deal. He won a Waring blender but had his car towed." Good read.
Today: Will Leer To Try To Defend New Balance Falmouth Title Versus Ciaran O'Lionaird, AJ Acosta And Jordan McNamara
Previous: Micah Kogo And Wude Ayalew Headline 2011 New Balance Falmouth Road Race Kogo won TD Bank Beach to Beacon last weekend and is the favorite. There is $10,000 on the line for the winners and $10,000 on the line for first American.
World Championships-Related News
- With 10 Straight Victories, Mo Farah Is Looking For The Historic Double At World Champs
- Ireland Sending 4 "B" Athletes To Worlds
- Kenya's Jackson Mumbua Kivuva Says He Wants To Win In Daegu Up against a stellar field including David Rudisha, most likely he will be disappointed.
- World Championships Marathoner Akaba Gives A Report On Training On Boulder's Famed Magnolia Road Are you under the age of 25 and don't know about Magnolia Road? Then clearly you haven't read Running With The Buffaloes.
- Mac Or PC? David Rudisha ... is a tech-savvy Mac guy who has an ipad and does facebook and twitter. We sure as hell hope he also does letsrun.com.
- Jamaican 110H Record Holder Dwight Thomas Is Buoyed By Outpouring Of Support He's Received Since His Father Was Chopped And Shot To Death His father was a very quiet man and his tragic death is still a mystery.
- AP: Sebastian Coe Discusses Games Image After Riots In London
- Meet "The sexiest Russian female athlete of the year." 20-year-old European indoor LJ champ Darya Klishina is being hyped as a future star.
- It's Official: Christian Taylor And Will Claye Turn Pro
The Legendary Joe Newton (Elmhurst York High School, IL) Admits Getting Softer The Older He Gets "The big thing now is I am just listening more. You do that as you mature as a coach."
San Diego Runner Jon Tumilson Was One of 22 Navy Seals Killed When Helicopter Was Shot Down In Afghanistan A memorial run will be held for him on San Diego on Tuesday.
Wanna Be A Pro Runner?
- Minnesota Star Tribune Takes A Look At How To Take A Stab At A Pro Running Career The Team USA Minnesota people put on a camp, the RunPro Camp, last month trying to help aspiring pros learn how to
live a life of povertypursue their dreams. "Even if you're not one of the superstars of our sport, you have a certain amount of limelight and stardom. To be out there and pursue your dreams is not a reality for a lot of people. It's fantastic to do something you love every day."
- RunPro Camp Seen As Success By Participants
- How RunPro Came Together, Hopes For A Sequel
Team USA Is Final
Team USA Announced For World Championships And Bryan Clay And Lauren Fleshman Are On It The good news that results from USATF having bureaucrats like John Chaplin with dictator-like
powers is they don't have to follow their own rules and as a result Lauren Fleshman, America's top 5,000m
runner right now,
is now on the team, as the rumors of Desiree Davila giving up her spot were true. USATF rules state only 4 runners can chase times but thankfully that stupid rule was somehow ignored.
Nike Oregon Athletes On Team USA
World Championships News
- Distance-Related News: Kenyan Govt. Making Unprecedented $upport Of World Championships Team 300,000 shillings, which is a little more than $3,000, goes to gold medallist. If you make the final, you get a little more than $100. Yet somehow, the govt is spening more than $285,000 overall. Quite frankly, we think their govt. should spend nothing.
- Asbel Kiprop Says Anything But Gold In 1,500 Will Be Disappointment For Kenya - Says Kenyans Fear Only Laalou And Bernard Lagat Asbel, Bernard Lagat isn't even in the event, but Andy Wheating is and he has a better PR than you do.
- World Championships Silver Medallist Yoshimi Ozaki Runs 50km In Boulder And Is Feeling Good About Her Chances "I can see the scenario where I surge away."
- Namibia Names Its Team Of 2 For Daegu - 800-Meter Man Is Called Olympic Medal Hopeful Daniel Nghipandulwa has only run 1:46.
WADA Head Says At Least 10% Of Athletes Are Cheats "Statistically the numbers of people being caught is between one to two per cent, that's the numbers of positives against the number of tests. But the number of people doping are in the double digits."
In this episode, Delilah DiCrescenzo of "Hey There, Delilah" fame races to a 3rd place finish in the 3rd best time of her career before getting injured and having to pull out of Worlds. The injury will be addressed in the next episode early next week. *Episode 1: Delilah Makes Worlds *Ep. 2: Training In NYC *Ep. 3: Legendary Coach Gags *Ep. 4: Fast And Fashionable *Ep 5: In The Spotlight, In The World *Ep 6: Delilah Goes To Europe *Ep 7: European Living. More @Puma Running On Facebook
The World Championships Start Next Week
- Caster Semenya's PR Team Dismisses Reports Of Rift With Coach And Rumors Of Her Being Overweight "The recent media reports that Caster Semenya is not ready to defend her world 800m title are untrue."
- Kenya's New 10k Guy Trains In Japan Paul Tanui's Japanese Coach And Some Fans Will Take Ferry (& Bus) To Watch Him Compete In Daegu Which He Considers To Be A Dream Come True Tanui was added to the team after Wilson Kiprop was taken off with an injury. Don't think just because he didn't "earn" his way onto the team that he can't be a factor. Remember, in cross-country, he was added to the team as a coach's selection and got the silver at Worlds.
- Recommended Read: A Brief Chat With Jenny Simpson, Who Is Hopeful That Things Are Turning Around For Her As Daegu Approaches She's had a lot of setbacks since dumping coach Wetmore but seems upbeat as Worlds approach. She also admits she's surprised that the steeple hasn't become a "crazy event that's out of my league.'
- Jenny Meadows Is Confident Heading Into Daegu London will be her last Olympics.
- Louisville's Matt Hughes Is In Deagu Getting Ready To Run Steeple For Canada
- 13 Going To Daegu For Uganda, Including 4 Male Marathoners And Moses Kipsiro (10k/5k)
- Hard To Believe: As Recently As 1999, Kenyan Men Got 4 X 400 Silver They are supposedly pursuing another medal this year.
- Nice AP Profile Of US Hurdler David Oliver, Who Brings Football Mentality To Hurdles How about this hurdling advice which he got before his 1st hurdles race in HS - take eight steps out of the blocks, three steps in between hurdles and, other than that, just run fast.
- Two Years Ago, He Stunned Everyone By Getting Bronze - Now LJ Leader Mitchell Watt Will Be Disappointed With Anything But Gold
- High Jumper Jesse Williams: "I will be the favourite and I like that." If he wins, it will be America's 2nd winner in history and first since 1991.
- Trinidad & Tobago Team Set
- 1984 Olympic Pole Vault Champ Pierre Quinon Commits Suicide At Age 49 *IAAF: Pierre Quinon Has Died
- Poland's Pawel Wojciechowski Produces World Leader And National Record Of 5.91m In Poland
- Defending Champ Hooker - All I Want To Do Is "Jump Well"
NY Times: Cross Training May Not Help You Get Faster But Weight Training Might "You can maintain your cardiovascular capacity by cross-training, but it is extremely difficult to maintain your performance when you rely on cross-training. This is because you are violating the principle of the specificity of training."
*World High Jump Champ Blanka Vlasic May Miss Worlds With Hamstring Injury Sounds legit as she article is very specific about scans revealing a "partial rupture." She will announce Friday whether or not she's going to compete.
*Defending 800m World Champion Mbulaeni Mulaudzi Withdraws From Worlds With Hamstring Injury
*Jamaica's Observer Puts Out Cartoon Poking Fun At Jamaican Dopers Didn't get a good reaction from one Jamaican reader.
*CAS To Come To A Decision On LaShawn Merritt's Case By End Of Next Month After this, Britain's Olympic drug ban policy may be under legal threat even though they say they won't change their minds.
*Neil Wilson: "Suspension Not Enough, Just Jail The Dopers"
*2 Drug Cases Pending From World Masters Champs
Some US News
*After Winning Falmouth, Magdalena Lewy Boulet Is USATF Athlete Of The Week She says that after the first mile, she thought she was in the 2nd pack and didn't realize she was with the leaders.
*America's Finest City Half Marathon Elite Field Announced One in the elite field is Christian Hesch, who was the 10th man sub-4 in the Falmouth Mile. He followed his first sub-4 with a 34:11 in the Falmouth 7.1 Mile race, and now a week later is doing a half marathon. Definitely a busy week of racing.
*10 Questions With NJ HS Star Edward Cheserek He says in his free time he likes to watch "great Kenyan runner" Bernard Lagat on TV.
*Abdi Says He's "Back" After Finishing 5th Place (2nd American) At Falmouth He says his focus right now is training for the Olympic Trials for next year.
The Pre-World Champs Injuries Keep Piling Up And The Message Board Conspiracy Theories Begin
- World Half Marathon Champ Wilson Kiprop Has Dropped Out Of Worlds With Pulled Hamstring His place has been taken by Paul Tanui, who was 2nd at World XC and was 5th at the Kenyan Trials. Interestingly, Kiprop says that he pulled out because he didn't want to hurt the team, but might still race All Africa Games if he "recovers quickly."
- Germany's Junior Javelin World Champ Till Woeschler Out Of Worlds With Elbow Injury
- Josh McDougal Hired As Liberty Assistant Coach He is now an official coach, but has already been part of the staff for the last 4 years, first as a graduate assistant and then as a volunteer.
- LaShawn Merritt's Olympic Eligibility Case Scheduled For Arbitration On Wednesday Dwain Chambers and the BOA will definitely be watching the results of this case, as the UK imposes a lifetime Olympic ban on drug cheats.
- NJ Still Says It Won't Certify Carl Lewis As Candidate For State Senate
- Dathan Ritzenhein Recovering From Post-Operative Wound Infection
- Ashton Eaton Owes His New HJ PR To Watching YouTube Videos Of Olympic Champ Dick Fosbury From The 1968 Olympics Article also mentions that Eaton and Oregon's two-time NCAA heptathlon champ Brianne Theisen are officially engaged. Theisen is a Canadian Olympic hopeful, but will return to Oregon for her senior year.
- Texas & North Florida To Host NCAA Regionals (Or Preliminary Round) In 2012
Other International Stuff
*The Olympic Park Was Meant To Be A Target Of London Rioters, But Was Saved By Police Monitoring Of Twitter
*French Pole Vaulter Renaud Lavillenie Wins "Berlin Flies" Competition Between US, Russian, Germany & France Was "to mark 50th anniversary of the building of the Berlin Wall." They'd probably prefer to mark its deconstruction, but it would be a lot harder to hold the meet in November.
World University Games/World Champs News
IAAF Preview: NCAA And US Champ Jeshua Anderson Headlines World University Games
*Blog From Aussie 1,500m Runner Brenton Rowe, Who Is At WUG
*World Indoors 400m Gold Medallist Debbie Dunn Withdraws From Worlds With An "Unspecified Injury" It has also been announced that steeplechaser Delilah DiCrescenzo (3rd at USAs) is out with an injury and replaced by NCAA runner-up Stephanie Garcia.
Getting Ready For Worlds:
*Japan's Yuki Kawauchi Says If He Finishes In The Top 8 At World Champs, He Will Reward Himself With A Cup Of Coffee
*World Indoor 1,500m Champ Deresse Mekonnen Hopeful Going Into Worlds Despite Early Season Injury
*Silas Kiplagat Benefits From The Coaching Of 3-Time World Steeplechase Champ Moses Kiptanui AK training camps are smartening up and actually letting the athletes still be coached by their own coaches/do their own training.
*Polish Champs Recap And Polish Daegu Squad Released Some noteworthy mid-d and distance performances included Adam Kszczot (1:44.30), Marcin Lewandowski (1:44.61), Lukasz Parszczynski (8:15.47 SC) and Renata Plis (4:04.57 w1,500m).
*Norwegian Champs: World & Olympic Jav Champ Andreas Thorkildsen Reaffirms Himself As Heavy Worlds Favorite With 90.61m Heave
*Estonia Is Sending 9 To Daegu
Looking Ahead To After Worlds
*4 Days After Worlds, Weltklasse Zürich Will Host 18 Events & 17 Will Include The World Leader In That Event
*Preliminary Weltklasse Entries Highlights from an American distance perspective include Leo Manzano in the 1,500, Morgan Uceny (and Montano) in the women's 800, another AR attempt by Shalane Flanagan in the 5,000 (which also tentatively includes Bizzarri, Fleshman, Goucher and Hastings), and Bruce/Nelson in the men's steeple.
*Strenuous Worlds Schedule Causes Bolt To Pull Out of Weltklasse, Which is 4 Days After Worlds
- Richard Thompson Clocks 9.85 Trinidad & Tobago NR, Tying Him For 4th On The 2011 World List He broke Ato Boldon's record of 9.86. This run ties him for 4th-fastest this year and 9th-fastest ever. *MB thread here.
- Columbia's Caterine Ibargüen Ties WL And Breaks NR With 14.99m In TJ
- USATF Recap Of Thrope Cup Day 1(Team
ThrowingMulti-Competition): Germany Has Slight Lead On US
- IAAF Recaps Finland's Vattenfall Elite Games: Jukka Keskisalo Wins Steeple In 8:29.38
- After Stress Reaction Slows Her Down, Kara Goucher Still Hopeful Going Into Worlds, But Concedes She Might Not Be The One Pushing The Pace This blog post really gives a glimpse into the advantages of the technology the Oregon Project uses. Kara says she didn't lose much fitness, as she was still able to train on their "Alter-G" and underwater treadmills.
- Campaign Trail A Rough Run For Carl Lewis Still facing obstacles to stay on the ballot and criticisms about refusing to take a stance on major issues.
- No SEC Invite For Texas A&M There were rumors that Texas A&M would move to SEC, but a meeting of league officials led to the agreement that things would stay as it is for now. There is still a good chance this move will happen in the near future. *MB: The New SEC has 16 teams, ACC to follow
- 2:14 Marathoner Nate Jenkins Blogging About How Even The Best Runners Have Their Bad Days
- Lukas Verzbicas Tops DyeStat's "Most Outstanding Performers" List For Boys Distances
Another Drug Bust
- US's Mike Rodgers Tests Positive For Banned Stimulant His agent claims he drank an energy drink which contained the stimulant. Rodgers was the 3rd man on the World Champs 100m team after Walter Dix and Justin Gatlin.
- UK Athletes Blast Steve Mullings After Caught In Doping Violation And they showed no sympathy.
- Steve Mullings Says He Is "Confident His Name Will Be Cleared" Even if it was (which seems unlikely considering his past), it is unlikely that it will be in time for him to run in Daegu. The final list is due Monday, but his B sample won't be tested until Tuesday. This means that Nesta Carter would get his 100m spot.
The Most Ridiculous "Plastic Brit" Yet Come 2012, Yamile Aldama will run for her third country in three Olympic Games.
Ridiculous 18-Year-Old Skier Urinates On 11-Year-Old Girl During JetBlue Flight; Kicked Off US Ski Team Apparently he was drunk and didn't realize he wasn't in the bathroom.
"Will be interesting to see if athletes withdraw from Daegu with illness
or injury due to IAAF introducing all athletes to blood testing." - Former 400m bronze medallist Katharine Merry writing about the universal blood testing in Daegu. We hope some cheats get out but think the bigger implications will be down the road because the blood test in Daegu is to establish the baseline to catch the cheats in the future. Related On The Boards: Deagu "Drop Outs" Thread
Details On Steve Mullings
- Telegraph: "It is understood that the greater sensitivity of drug testing equipment to detect the masking agent furosemide, was behind Mullings' positive." Now it's important for people to realize that sometimes people testing positive for furosemide get off scot free, as was the case last month with some Brazilian swimmers.
- Jamaica Anti-doping Commission (JADCO) On Mullings: No Comment
- Amazing News! Every Single Athlete To Be Blood Tested At World Championships *BBC Article On Blood Testing - It'll Be Interesting To See Who Now Pulls Out We agree and all pullouts need to be heavily scrutinized. Back in 2000, we determined Regina Jacobs was on drugs when she pulled out.
*Look Who's Talking China Scolds West, Says London May Not Be Fit To Host Olympics After Riots Great comment from one reader: "It takes an oppressive police force, underaged athletes and serious air pollution to
host a successful Olympics. Thanks for the feedback, China - Crash Fu."
*South Africa Will Not Bid For 2020 Olympics But say, "We will certainly go for 2024." So without SA, that leaves Istanbul, Madrid, Rome and Tokyo as the confirmed bidders, with Doha still deciding whether or not to bid.
Looking Way Ahead Post-Worlds
*Milcah Chemos Going For Steeplechase WR At Final Diamond League Meet In Brussels, Belgium Sept. 16th IAAF It will be Sept. 16th in Brussels, Belgium. Her PR is 9:08.57 and the WR is 8:58.81 set by Gulnara Samitova-Galkina at the 2008 Olympics. Chemos also says that she thinks Kenya can sweep the steeplechase at World Champs.
Our Sport's History Is A Selling Point
- 75 Years Ago: Jesse Owens Made History At Berlin Olympics Article by ESPN's Jeremy Schaap, who has a book on Owens and the 1936 Olympics.
- 57 Years Ago: Roger Bannister Beat John Landy In Mile Of The Century
- 75 Years Ago: LetsRun Legend John Woodruff Won 800m Gold For America
Last Lap Or Full Race Of Manzano's Mile Victory In London (More London Coverage Here, UK Visitors Here)
Lauren Fleshman Runs Away From The Field
NCAA Star Kirani James Gets World Leader In 400 In London (More London Coverage Here)
Paula Speaks On Berlin (Story Here)
Poll: Vote Online For The Bowerman Award As of now, Washington State's Jeshua Anderson is winning for the men and Texas A&M's Jessica Beard for the women.
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
LRC Contest Recap - The Greatness Of You
LRC USA Nationals Contest Recap As usual we had a couple of ringers come out on top in our contest. Our winner is in the elite of the elite of LetsRun.com, as not only has he been to watch the World Championships and Olympic Trials, he has a @runner.org email address, and a real-life wife. Our runner-up was a state champion in high school and has started a post-collegiate group in Utah.
A Must-Watch (We're Not Sure How We Missed This) - Sammy Wanjiru's Mom Theatens Others With A Machete 2 Weeks Ago (More Here)
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Lydiard vs magill vs malmo for summer cross country training
- Couple questions about summer training?
- Peter Snell Interview and his thoughts on Lydiard training
- Sprinter to Distance : My quest to run sub 2
Boston *Recap Analysis: *JK On The Wind *Wejo On Desiree *Rojo *London And Boston *Video Highlights
Women's World XC In Photos
Men's World XC In Photos
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Universal Sports Back To Top