Toronto Waterfront on live for free now Tim Hutchings has been brought in to commentate.
*MB: Toronto Marathon coverage
*Deep Fields Set For Sunday's Toronto Marathon, Where 2:05:42 Man Derissa Chimsa Faces Defending Champ Sahle Warga 2:06 man Henry Sugut is also in the field with number of other sub-2:10 men. 2:24:34 woman Filomena Cheyech leads the women's field. Both sides will be going after the $35,000 CR bonus (2:07:58 men's, 2:22:43 women's).
Track News In The Off-Season
- South Africa Has Their Own Star In 17-Year-Old Phenom Gena Lofstrand, Who Won Both The 800 And 1,500 National Titles This Year She PRed by 10 seconds in one year to run 2:03 and credits a lot of her improvement to spending a lot of time on a stationary bike in an altitude chamber.
- With No Major Championship In 2014, Ashton Eaton Will Take The Year To Focus On The 400 Hurdles
- Lolo Jones Still Trying Desperately To Win An Olympic Medal And Will Get Another Chance If She Can Make US Bobsled Olympic Team At October 25th Trials Colorado Springs Gazette: "This quest for a medal, any medal, has defined her life for a decade."
- After Missing Moscow 2013 With Injury, HJer Blanka Vlasic Doing Intensive Physical Therapy In Ireland And Hopes To Be Healthy Again For 2014 World Indoor Champs "You don't know how much you miss it until it's taken away from you, but I think that we all need to be taken away from the things we love the most and we are, usually, at some point. You learn how to appreciate it more."
Weekend Marathon Action *Toronto Live & Free At 8:15AM ET *Amsterdam 3:15AM ET Live Stream
- Amsterdam: Wilson Chebet Thinks He Can Break The 2:05:41 Amsterdam CR Despite Projected Windy And Stormy Conditions He'll be going for his 3rd victory at the race, but facing tough competition in 2:04:50 runner Getu Feleke and 58:41 half runner Bernard Koech. Valentine Kipketer (2:24:33), Alice Timbilili (2:25:03) and 2004 Olympic 5,000m silver medallist Isabella Ochichi are the top contenders in the women's race.
- Beijing: IAAF Beijing Marathon Preview: World Champs Bronze Medalist Tadesse Tola (2:04:49) And Berhanu Shiferaw (2:04:48) Lead Field Last year's champ Jia Chaofeng will defend her title against a few mid-2:20s women.
- Kenya: Two-Time World Marathon Champ Abel Kirui Running Safaricom Madoka Half Marathon In Kenya Saturday
- Kansas: College Professor Trying To Set Guinness WR By Knitting A 9 Foot 10 Inch Scarf While Running A Marathon The current record is 6 feet, seven inches by a woman who ran 5:58 at the London Marathon. It's actually a pretty lame record since it doesn't matter how fast you run.
More Weekend Action
- Olympic 10,000 Bronze Medalist Tariku Bekele Vs. Abdi Abdirahman And Aussie Collis Birmingham For Sunday's Bupa Great Birmingham Run Half Marathon UK's Chris Thompson is also in the field, while UK's Gemma Steel leads the women.
- Deep Field Set For Sunday's Amsterdam Marathon Two-time defending champ Wilson Chebet faces 2:04:50 runners Getu Feleke and 2:04:53 man Bernard Koech.
- 61-Year-Old Doug Kurtis Aiming for 200th Sub-3:00 Marathon This Sunday In Detroit Kurtis has ran an amazing 76 marathons under 2:20 and qualified for the Olympic Trials 5 times and has a PR of 2:13:34.
*Blog Post From Kurtis, Who Says This Will Be His "Final Running Accomplishment" "After 38 years of running marathons I've decided this is a good place to stop putting in the 70-mile-plus training weeks that it takes for me to run this fast."
- Nov. 2nd: Evan Jager And Shalane Flanagan Talk To NYRR Ahead Of The Dash To The Finish Line 5k Jager said that he's not in great shape yet and after seeing the fields, he said, "OK, I definitely have to get back to work right now, So I'm going to put in some really hard miles over the next couple of weeks and try to build some fitness really quickly. I definitely do
not want to get embarrassed."
*Full Video Google Chat With Flanagan And Jager We didn't have time to watch the full 44-minute interview, but apparently Jager "drops a marathon hint" during it.
- Marine Corps Marathon Breathes Sigh Of Relief After Government Re-Opening The race was going to be cancelled if the government didn't re-open in time.
- USATF Preview: US 50-Mile Road Championship To Be Held Sunday In PA
Not Directly Running-Related But Interesting: Tribute To Recently Passed 87-Year-Old Japanese "Marathon Monk" Yusai Sakai Sakai is famous for being one of only one of three men to complete the Sennichi Kaihogyo twice. The Senichi Kailhogyo is a seven-year "quest for enlightenment" that by the end has the monks walking 51 miles a day for 100 days on barely any sleep.
Desire By Some To Race Under A Fake Name Or Anonymously At Odds With Increased Security At Road Races Some are worried about privacy while others just want to run as Bruce Wayne, "Hugh Jass" or Kermit Frog.
Former Head Of Jamaican Anti-Doping Renee Anne Shirley Throws Out More Accusations Against The Organization, Claiming They've "Never Carried Out A Blood Test" She claims they received 30 blood testing kits, but never used them and also says that she thinks Veronica Campbell-Brown's positive test for a diuretic should have resulted in a 2-year ban.
Week That Was
LRC Week That Was: Dennis Kimetto, Rita Jeptoo And All Things Chicago Marathon, Kim Smith, Stephen Sambu Pick Up $100k, Haile Gebrselassie Still Has It We look at just how good Kimetto's and Jeptoo's Chicago performances were, explain why we're not crazy about the BAA Distance Medley's gimmicky prize money structure and remind you that even at 40 years old, Geb is still very, very good.
- Study Finds That You Can Actually Talk Yourself Out of Exhaustion By talking to yourself during exercise, you can actually reduce perceived exertion and boost performance.
- Does Pregnancy Give Women An Athletic Performance Boost? Studies have found that pregancy results in increased blood flow and oxygen-carrying capacity, as well as increased levels of growth hormone, which can lead to performance boosts six to 12 months after pregnancy.
Bad Marathon News
- Kenyan Marathoner Dies At Kimbilio Marathon In Kenya As He Led With Only 2K To Go He collapsed and died in the ambulance before reaching the hospital.
- Government Shutdown Could Cancel Marine Corps Marathon An official decision will be made Saturday.
2013 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Results *LRC Men's Preview *LRC Women's Preview
Some Chicago Talk To Spice Up Your Monday Evening:
*What are the US men missing in marathon training???? A lot of discussion.
*Chicago winner today has never run a track race
*Kimetto 150 mpw. Ritz 110 mpw, once 120 mpw.
LRC Dennis Kimetto Wins, Shatters Course Record With 2:03:45 Clocking Wow, what a race! 61:52 for the first half, 61:53 for the second half. Dennis Kimetto put on a show and staked his claim to being the #1 marathoner on the planet as he beat Emmanuel Mutai, who became the first man to break 2:04 and lose on a loop course. Americans Ritz and Teg didn't get what they wanted.
Analysis: Eight Quick Takes On The Men's Race: Kimetto Is A Stud, Mutai Is Mr. Silver, Teg & Ritz Struggle Final 10k, Abshero Goes For It We've got a lot to say about this great race, so it appears in a separate piece.
*Top 30 Chicago Marathon Results
- Former TJ World Champ Philips Idowu Among UK Athletes Losing National Funding
- Medal-Winning Athletes Jenny Meadows, Andy Turner And Lisa Dobriskey Among Those Axed From Lottery Funding
- European Male Athlete Of The Year HJer Ukrainian Bondarenko Says "I won't sleep before I have cleared the world record, maybe next year."
- Mo Farah Reacts To English Soccer Player Who Says Only English-Born Players Should Play Football For England www.theguardian.com Farah, who came to the UK from Somalia when he was 8, said that "making your country proud is what matters."
*Phil Hersh's Men's Recap
*Race Results Weekly Recap
Chicago On The Boards:
MB: OFFICIAL 2013 Chicago Marathon Play-by-Play Thread
*I love Ritz but.....
*Kimetto 150 mpw. Ritz 110 mpw, once 120 mpw.
*What are the US men missing in marathon training????
*No US guys currently within a mile of the best Marathoners. Sad.
*Teg would not have won US champs last weekend in MN
*Was Ritz crying in his flotrack interview?
*Hall v. Ritz
*Ritz' shoes- 2013 Chicago Marathon
*Teg was Jerry's best male marathon so far
*Chicago winner today has never run a track race
*Kawauchi ran 2:11:40 today in 8th marathon of '13. Will Tegenkamp beat his time?
The Inside Scoop
Friday: LRC Will The Race Go Out In 61:45 And How Will Dathan Ritzenhein React? (link fixed) With good weather in the forecast, the leading Africans may want to go out more than a minute faster than Ritz wants. Will they be slowed to please Ritz or will he have to solo it alone? Also, Emmanuel Mutai reveals he's healthy and Moses Mosop is going to be tough to beat.
Thursday: LRC 5 Takeaways From Thursday's Presser: Mosop Is Healthy And Fit, Tadese Is Ready For Another Crack At 26.2, Kimetto And Abshero Are Confident, And Kogo Hopes He's Ready For Uncharted Territory We broke down the race earlier for you on you on paper, but you never know what really to expect until you get the inside scoop on-site. We've got it and you can as well if you read our piece. Plus was there a fix at the 2012 Berlin Marathon?
More Chicago Men's Pre-Race Coverage: LRC Teg Does The Marathon: Matt Tegenkamp Shares His Thoughts Ahead Of His Highly-Anticipated Marathon Debut Teg is full of confidence: "I feel so much more comfortable on the roads than I do the track, and I never thought I'd say that."
More Chicago News:
Journalism At Its Finest:
If You Read One Thing All Month, This Should Be It: Inspiring Story On US's Stephanie Pezzullo: Running For Her Life The Charlotte Observer's Théoden Janes has written a masterpiece after Pezzulo opened up to him about her struggles in life. A tough upbringing with a bipolar dad who allegedly sexually abused her led to crushing anxiety and even a suicide attempt. She was saved by sports (first soccer, now running) and faith.
*Excellent Recommended Read: One Of The Good Guys In The Sport Team Eugene's Craig Leon Hoping For 2:11-12 In Chicago We enjoyed meeting Leon in Boston and Curtis Anderson has written an excellent profile on Leon, who works a job and has "never had a bad marathon" according to coach Ian Dobson.
*Article On Matt Tegenkamp From Chicago Tribune
- Commonwealth Games' Queen's Baton Relay Is In India - Problems Loom In Pakistan
- National 6 & 4 Stage Road Relays / Report & Results
- Bohdan Bondarenko And Zuzana Hejnová Named European Athletes Of The Year Emir Bekrić and Iceland's Anita Hinriksdottir claimed the European Athletics Rising Star Awards.
*More On European Awards
*IAAF On European Awards
Wisconsin And Pre-Nats Are This Weekend *Wisconsin Results *Pre-Nats Men's Results/Photos *Pre-Nats Women's Results/Photos *All NCAA XC Weekend Action
- adidas Wisconsin: MB: 2013 adidas Wisconsin Invite: Arizona and D'agostino win women's titles, NAU and Campbell win men's The #1 Providence women were third as their 5th runner had a higher score (138) the total team score of #1 Arizona (117) and #2 Arkansas (136).
13:00-flat man Lawi Lalang
was just 13th in the men's race. *Full Results
*Coach James Li Says Lawi Lalang Raced Yesterday After Only 2 Weeks Of Training Li: "Lawi isn't happy with his race today but I am reasonably happy. He's only trained for two weeks and he still ran five miles at 4:45 pace so that is pretty remarkable."
*NAU Led To Team Title By Futsum Zeinasellassie's 6th Place FInish
Pre-Nats: MB: Official 2013 Pre Nats Discussion Thread - Colorado men over Oregon, Iona and Stanford - #5 Georgetown over #2 FSU in Women's
Men's Results: 2013 Pre-Nats Men's Results - Colorado And Kennedy Kithuka Win Kithuka dominated but the battle for third between Edward Cheserek and Chris O'Hare was tight.
Women's Results: Georgetown And Emma Bates Win #5 Georgetown upset #2 FSU as three different people led in the finishing straight.
*CU Men Get Big Win At Pre-Nats, Led By Morgan Pearson's 7th Place Finish; Freshman Ben Saarel Was 9th
*Edward Cheserek Leads Oregon To Second Place Finish At Pre-Nats
- More MB Discussion: Give us your biggest surprises/flops from 2013 Pre-Nats and Wisconsin
*BEN MF SAAREL!
*Reason #1 of why track/xc will never be as popular as team sports: #1 Oklahoma State was just 10th at Pre Nats
- Yohan Blake's Agent Cubie Seegobin Warns Jamaican Athletes They Could Lose Respect If The Public Isn't Educated About Doping "Do people even understand what it's all about? You hear that [Powell and Simpson] are doping and trying to cheat, but on the face value the substance that apparently was found in their bodies (oxilofrine) can be taken legally when they are not competing, but no one has taken the time to explain that and give perspective. Instead, everyone just assumes that they are cheating without the facts."
- JAAA President Warren Blake Says It Doesn't Matter How Many Drug Tests JADCO Does Since Jamaican Athletes Are Still Among The Most Tested In The World
- Researchers At The University Of British Columbia Develop New DNA Test To Catch Blood Dopers However, the test seems to have a lot of limitations and will probably not be used.
- Good 14-Minute Highlight Video From Usain Bolt's BBC Radio 5 Live Interview Bolt said straight out that Yohan Blake wasn't even in his league back in 2011 when Bolt false started in Daegu and Blake was World Champ. He also talks about this year's doping issues and the lack of testing done by JADCO.
- World HJ Champ Bohdan Bondarenko Reflects On His Breakthrough Season "My life has changed. I now feel that more attention is given to me."
- World 400 Champion Christine Ohuruogu Visiting Every School In The London Borough Of Newham (About 100 Schools) Inspiring Kids To Play Sports
Nike / Oregon News
- A Nike-Backed Group Led By Vin Lananna Is Planning A Portland Bid For The 2016 World Indoor Track & Field Championships A source said that Lananna would make a presentation to the IAAF on November 15th. The US has never hosted a World Outdoor Championships and only once a World Indoor Championships in Indianapolis in 1987.
*The Telegraph: Birmingham's bid to host 2016 World Indoor Championships faces new threat from Portland OR Birmingham hosted the event in 2003.
- Mo Farah Making TV Appearance With Britney Spears They will both appear on UK comedian Alan Carr's Chatty Man show.
- Alberto Salazar Shares With Outside Magazine His "10 Golden Running Rules" Number 4 on the list is, "Stay On The Trail - Pavement damages joints, tendons, ligaments, and muscles. The more you can run on grass, wood chips, or dirt, the better off you are. My athletes run 90 percent of their workouts on soft surfaces."
Elite Women In The News
- Caster Semenya Looks Ahead To 2014 After A Disappointing Year Semenya: "It was a rough year for me. ... But I am a big girl what can I say? ... There is not much I can say about 2013 because I got nothing much out of it."
- We Can't Wait For The Minimum 4-Year Ban To Kick In: 2:28 Chinese Woman Marathoner Sun Juan Gets 2-Year Ban After Testing Positive For Testosterone Her coach was also banned for 2 years.
- 1,500 Runner Lisa Dobriskey Feels That UKA Decision To Only Give Funding To Athletes Who Are Considered "Medal Contenders" For 2016 Is Flawed Her first point is a good one, as she says, "I think it is very difficult to predict medallists for 2016 and 2017. If you look back to some of the medallists at the Olympics last year, they wouldn't necessarily have been predicted medallists three years out." Mo Farah did not look like a double Olympic Champion back in 2009.
- Yelena Isinbayeva: "People say pole vaulters have beautiful bodies. I don't mind."
- GraceKennedy Extends Sponsorship Deal With Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce
Asafa Powell Gets Ready To Unveil His 2014 Calendar But no, not his athletic one. He's literally releasing a line of 2014 calendars for sale which feature him shirtless.
Man With Muscular Dystrophy Finishes Chicago Marathon He was the last to cross the finish line of the Chicago Marathon, almost 17 hours after he started the race.
Pro Distance News *Today @ 3PM ET: Live Chat With Shalane Flanagan & Evan Jager
- Eleven Olympians Headline NYRR Dash To The Finish Line 5-K The Day Before The NYC Marathon Men's field includes Nick Willis, Evan Jager, Lopez Lomong, Chris Solinsky, Ryan Hill, German
Fernandez, Ben True, Will Leer, Sam
Chalenga, Chris Derrick, David Torrence and Donn Cabral. Women are lead by Shalane Flanagan, Sally Kipyego, Emily Infeld, Lisa Uhl, Betsy Saina, Molly Huddle and Kim Conley.
*NYRR Release With Stats On Entire Elite Field
*Today @ 3PM: Live Google Chat With Shalane Flanagan And Evan Jager Today Post your questions in the comments section here and then come back at 3PM to have them answered.
- Mo Farah Talks To The Guardian About A Run-In He Had With Craig Mottram, Getting Tired Of Always Having To Do The "Mobot" For People In The UK, And How He Hates The Daily Mail He calls The Daily Mail liars and talks about how they went to Somalia and tried to pay his brother to sell them his story.
- Very Deep Fields Set For Next Weekend's Frankfurt Marathon As 21 Men Have A PR Sub-2:10 And 5 Are Sub-2:05:30; Also 5 Sub-2:25 Women The men's field is led by 2:04 Ethiopians Dino Sefir (2:04:50) and Feyisa Lilesa (2:04:52), while Ethiopia's Dubai Marathon champ Tirfi Tsegaye (2:21:19) leads women's field that has former Boston champ Caroline Kiel and a debut from World XC medalist Gelete Burka.
- You Hear That, Competitor? Even Kenyan Marathons Can Afford Appearance Fees: Kass Marathon Giving Appearance Fees To Sub-2:10 Marathoners Sub-2:10 guys will get about $6,000 each.
- Alexi Pappas: 5 Things You Should Know About Me Pappas talks about not running her junior or senior years of high school and about her many interests outside of running, including filmmaking. She's also doing the NYRR 5k Dash To The Finish.
- RRW: Sam Chelanga Looking Ahead After Solid B.A.A. Half Marathon Performance, Where He Was 4th In 1:01:04 In August, he moved to NH to train with and be coached by Mark Coogan and says he is "finally feeling good" in his training again and looking forward to making his marathon debut next fall.
- Betsy Saina Joins American Distance Project's International Elite
- Artist Inspired By Running 11 Miles With Paula Radcliffe During The 2002 Chicago Marathon Paints Portrait Of Her The painting is called "Paula Radcliffe Flying Through Time." He's done paintings of other top distance runners such as Haile G and Steve Prefontaine. View gallery here.
Mo Farah Doesn't Actually Think He Can Run Sub-2 Hours
- Mo Farah Downplays Suggestions That He Could Break 2-Hours In The Marathon, Saying That's "Crazy" He said, "I don't think two hours is going to be broken in the next 10 years or even beyond that, maybe even 100 years ... The rumours actually started because my sponsor are working on a shoe called 'Sub Two-Hour.' They keep working on that, and that's how the rumours started. I never actually said it."
*Video With Farah
*Farah Unlikely To Do Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games As He Focuses On The London Marathon He said, "Glasgow is a bonus if I do it but it is not on my list."
US Distance News
- Good Read: Jenny Simpson Talks To The IAAF About Her Career And The Race That First Made Her Realize She Had A Future Outside The Steeplechase She set the collegiate 1,500 record at 3:59.90 in 2009 at Pre Classic and says, "My effort at Pre was a paradigm shift for my career in several ways. ... I'd thought of myself as a steeplechaser with a future in the 5,000m and 10,000m but after that race, there just seemed to be less limitations and more possibilities for my future in the sport."
- Janet Bawcom Feeling In Good Shape Ahead Of NYC Marathon After Winning Monday's Tufts Health Plan 10K In 32:28 NYC will be her first full marathon since the 2012 Olympic Trials.
- WADA Won't Build Any New Labs In Europe Or North Africa For Next 5 Years As They Focus On Africa And Latin America
- Usain Bolt's Coach Glen Mills Defends Jamaican Anti-Doping Saying that They've Been Unfairly Targeted Because Of Their Success He said, "Nobody wants to see their dominance of sprinting continue" and that the media has been "sensationalising" the issue.
Jamaica Anti-Doping Programme Set To Be Investigated By WADA This investigation is in response to allegations made by former JADCO director Renee Anne Shirley. WADA is unhappy, though, that the visit will not happen until 2014.
Monday's Tufts 10k For Women *Results
LRC With An Assist From Meseret Defar, Sentayehu Ejigu Sets Course Record At Tufts Health Plan 10-K For Women, Emily Infeld Second
of Ethiopia was encouraged to run this race
by Meseret Defar and she left breaking the 25-year-old course record of Anne Hannam. Emily Infeld's strong 2013 continued with a second-place finish. Janet Bawcom was fourth and led Team USA Arizona to the $10,000 team title over Boulder Running Company/Adidas.
More: Chicago Tribune From 1996 On Anne Hannam: Running On Empty: "In that magical summer and fall of 1988, Anne Hannam ran nine road races from Alaska to Massachusetts, won all nine and set seven course records. She also weighed 96 pounds and was starving herself slowly ..."
LRC Forums: Whatever Happened to Anne Hannam?
*Emily Infeld 31:47 Road 10k
2013 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Results
LRC Rita Jeptoo Wins, Sets World-Leading 2:19:57 Time By Running A Big Negative Split (updated with quick takes) Jeptoo
lost in agonizing
fashion last year in a sprint.
This year, she left no doubt as she crushed the second half (68:42) to become the first person under 2:20 in 2013. Her final 12.2 k was simply unreal, as she did her best Paula Radcliffe impersonation and ran faster for her final 12.2k than both Ritz and Teg.
*Top 30 Chicago Marathon Results
*Race Results Weekly Recap
*Chicago Tribune Women's Recap
Other Weekend Action
- Boston / Most Ridiculous Prize In Running: Kim Smith Wins $100,000 In Style, Wins 2013 BAA Half Marathon With 69:14 Course Record
- Lelisa Desisa Sets 60:34 Course Record At 2013 BAA Half Marathon But Stephen Sambu Is Big Winner On Day With $100,000 Payday
- Giro di Trentoe 10k: Edward Soi Wins Thrilling Sprint Finish Over Wilson Kiprop And Imane Merga The finish was tight as the winning time was just 29:01.
- Eindhoven Marathon: 14-Year Kenyan Win Streak Halted As Ethiopia's Yemane Tsegay Adhane Wins In 2:09:41 IAAF Heavy rain made all the talk of a new course record (2:05:46) a moot point. Ruth Wanjiru won the women's race in 2:34:48.
- Cologne Marathon: Janet Rono PRs By 5+ Minutes (2:28:36) To Win, Nicholas Chelimo (2:09:45) Wins Men's Title
- Baltimore: Former Elizabethtown Runner Dave Berdan Wins Baltimore Marathon - 1st Local Champ Ever
- ASICS Grand 10: Joyce Chepkirui Runs 6th-Fastest Road 10k Ever And Fastest Ever In Germany (30:37)
- Paris 20k: Sarah Chepchirchir Sets Course Record At Paris 20k (1:05:03) As Ethiopia's Tebalu Zawude Wins Men's In 58:07
The Week In Review
LRC WTW: Zola Budd, Running Models, Veronica Campbell-Brown, Twin Cities Past And Present, Guelph, And Bad College Sports Publicity This week we praise college XC winners old (Zola Budd) and young (Alexa Efraimson), talk about the juggernauts of Canadian collegiate XC, talk about Twin Cities winners past and present, and tell the Yale and Lousiville Sports Info departments that our sport deserves better. Since we had to be a little shorter than normal to get ready for Chicago, we leave you with photo album full of Oiselle models, including Kate Grace and Lauren Fleshman.
Other Marathon News
- London 2014: Mary Keitany's Baby Is Now 5 Months Old, She Hopes To Return To Serious Training By January And Be Ready For London
- Recommended Read: Great Q&A With Annie Bersagel The former Fullbright scholar just
PRed by 13 minutes to win the US Marathon Champs in 2:31. Not bad for a woman who just got out of Stanford law school and works a full-time job.
*MB: Memo to all who say lack of sponsors is stopping you from being great: A Fulbright scholar and lawyer just won US champs
- More Twin Cities News: 58-Year-Old Christine Kennedy Ran 2:58 At Twin Cities - Missed Age 55-59 World Record By 6 Minutes
- Upcoming Marathons - Toronto: Kenya's 2:06:58 Man Henry Sugut Is Hoping To Break 2:07:58 CR In Toronto Next Week
- New York: 2:25 Marathoner Lisa Stublic's Relatives Wanted Her To Gain 22 Pounds So She Could Get Married
- Former 200-400 Sprint Star Marie-Jose Perec Is Running New York City Marathon Next Month At Age 45 She won Olympic gold in 1992 and two more in 1996.
News From Down Under
- Olympic Hurdles Champion Sally Pearson Splits With Coach Sharon Hannan After 14-Year Fling
- Interesting Interview With 2-Time Olympian And Now Coach Chris Wardlaw, Who Hopes Craig Mottram Makes Olympics #5 In 2016 He says Mottram is "keen" to run the marathon and Wardlaw says Mottram has "cadence and relaxation" needed to be successful.
- Australia's Oldest Olympian Basil Dickinson Has Died At Age 98 The triple jumper refused to give Hitler a Nazi salute in 1936.
- Color Run Has Been Exported To Australia
- Zola Budd's Daughter Is A Star In South Carolina HS XC *Discuss
- Olympic PV Champ Renaud Lavillenie Blogs About His 6,700-Point Decathlon At End Of The Year
- Japan Picks Up More Golds In Distance Events At East Asian Games (14:25 Won The Men's 5k)
- Egypt's 100m Hurdles Record Holder Says Lack Of Training Facilities Is Hurting Egyptians' Times
- A Look At 10 Track Athletes That Have Appeared On Dancing With The Stars Around The Globe
- WADA Is Worried That World Cup Start Next Year And Rio Drug Lab Has Lost Its Accreditation
RIP: Dog Who Recently Bandited A Half Marathon Dies Of A Heart Attack The dog got free from his owners and ran the half marathon in 2:15, even receiving a finisher's medal.
Study Finds That Only 12.2% Of Women 50 And Older Are Happy With Their Body Size Those that are happy are highly active.
Kenyan Marathoning News
- After Becoming The Fastest Loser In History At 2:03:52, Emmanuel Mutai Says He's Sick Of Being The "Eternal Bridesmaid" He has the extraordinary record of finishing second at major marathons on seven separate occasions in five years.
- After His 2:03:45 In Chicago, Dennis Kimetto Says He Wants To Go After The WR Next Year In Berlin He'll run Boston in the spring and then Berlin next fall.
- Autopsy Reveals Kenyan Marathoner Died Of "Pulmonary Failure Due To Hemorrhagic Congestion"
- Athletics Kenya Making All Kenyan Runners Register With Their Local AK Branch Or They Won't Be Allowed To Run In Any Event
- UK: Reading Half Marathon On March 2nd Will Act As UK Official Trial Race For 2014 World Half Marathon Champs
Trailer For New Documentary On Steve Prefontaine Called "Pre's People" The documentary is the first to center around Pre's life in his hometown, Coos Bay, Oregon and is shown "through the eyes of his fans."
*RW Interview With Executive Producers Travis Johnson And Brad Jenkins
One We Missed From The Weekend
Kenya's Dominic Ondoro Beats Yuki Kawauchi In Melbourne Marathon Ondoro ran 2:10:47 to Kawauchi's 2:11:40. Aussie Lisa Jane Weightman ran 2:26:05 to win the women's race with the fastest time ever by an Australian woman on home soil.
*Local Article On The Race And Weightman, Who Also Set The CR
Big One We Missed From Weekend:
Groninge Netherlands: Viola Kibiwot Sets Worlds Best For 4 Miles As Haile Gebrselassie Nearly Beats Yenew Alamirew 19:14 for 4 miles for Kibiwot as Emily Chebet ran 19:17 to break the old record as well.
On The Boards: Meanwhile, Gebrselassie clocks 17:31 for 4 miles in race vs Alamirew
News From The UK
- Mo Farah's Wife Talks In Great Depth About What It's Like To Be Married To Farah Sounds like Farah gets an F for child care duties when he's 100% in charge.
- Great Britain 4 X 100m Women's Relay Squad To Gain Lottery Reward
- Sale Harriers Win National 6-Stage Road Relays For First Time, As Aldershot, Farnham & District Win Women's Event In Record-Breaking Time
News About Some Upcoming Marathons
- This Week Is Toronto: Kenya's 2:06:58 Man Henry Sugut Is Hoping To Break 2:07:58 CR In Toronto
- Next Week: Standard Chartered Bank Paying More Than $1 Million To Sponsor Standard Chartered Nairobi Marathon
More Than 23,000 Will Compete In Nairobi
Two Weeks To New York: A Look At New York Runners Wesley Korir's Charity Endeavors
- Toni Reavis And Sam Grotewald Debate Whether Geoffrey Mutai Can Break NYC Marathon Course Record In 3 Weeks Reavis says no: "... in the 29 years between Salazar's 2:08:13 and 2010 (the year before Mutai), the record over the five-borough course had only come down by 30 seconds. This leads me to believe that Mutai's 2011 performance in NYC, like his 2:03:02 in Boston that spring, is a one-off type performance that may last longer than any previous New York City Marathon record."
Kevin Helliker Writes Follow-Up Column In WSJ After Receiving Backlash From The "Slowest Generation" The 20 and 30 somethings have responded with excuses for why they are slow, including "The economy is so bad, we can't help it."
*MB Discussion: Obama/economy to blame for slowing of running times across country?
News From Africa
- Newly-Minted World Marathon Record Holder Wilson Kipsang Will Run 15k On Dec 1
- World XC Champ Japhaet Korir Racing Asbel Kiprop In A 12K XC Race This Saturday In Kenya Boston marathon winner Rita Jeptoo and world marathon silver medalist Priscah Jeptoo are in the women's race.
- AK Boss Isaiah Kiplagat Orders Kenyan Marathon Organizers To Do Away With Race-Day Registration Apparently day-of registration at an event last week caused the race to start very late.
- Security At Stanchart Nairobi Marathon Stepped Up In Wake Of Westgate Mall Terrorist Attacks
- More SA Blunders: Previously Uncancelled 2013 Soweto Marathon Is Now Officially Cancelled
- Jamaican VCB Supporter Scolds "Cynics" That Got Angry When She First Tested Positive
- Ramone McKenzie, The 2007 World Youth 200-Meter Champion, Has Left Lance Brauman And Returned To Jamaica To Move Up To 400
- After Hamstring Issues Derailed Him In 2nd Round Of Moscow, Batman Vows To Fly Again, Irrepressible Bershawn Jackson Vows Full Recovery
- Texas A&M Heptathlete Annie Kunz Is Even Better At Soccer Than Track