Paula Radcliffe News
- Bad News: Screw Is Loose In Radcliffe's Foot And She Needs Another Surgery, Which Will Result In 10-12 Weeks Of Crutches "I just want to be able to run and play with my kids," she said. "I'm not even thinking about getting back to running a marathon again."
- Radcliffe Has High Hopes In Marathon For Mo Farah: 2:04 Is Possible But Will That Be Enough? "I think he will run very, very well, but the depth on the men's side is scary at the moment. He could run a 2hr 04min marathon and there could be 10 people still around him."
- That Being Said, She Is Baffled By His Decision To "Debut" In The Marathon With 13.1 In London We aren't baffled by it - it's $$$$$imply brilliant. Get paid a ton, raise awareness for the event and learn the course.
- Good News: NYT: Drug Makers, In Shift, Join Fight Against Doping Roche and GlaxoSmithKline have begun evaluating every new drug candidate for its potential to be abused by athletes and have agreed to share information with WADA.
- Recommended Read New Yorker: Will Bernard Lagat Live Forever?
- NY Times Asks: When should you replace your running shoes? Scientists don't know. Ryan Hall does every 200 miles. One running store owner - every 2,000.
- New Study Contradicts Previous Study - Wine Drinking Doesn't Lead To Better Running
- We Respectfully Disagree: Paul Tergat Decries Lack Of Teamwork In Kenya In Year 2013 - Says That's Why They Now Lose World XC Titles "I worried there is no team work nowadays as opposed to our days. That's we sometimes lose the team title." LRC says that Kenya loses as the best guys are all on the road$$$.
- Robert Johnson Says The Ducks Are Ready For Indoor Stretch
- O'Hare's Collegiate Record Also Was A Scottish Indoor Record The 20-year-old 3:55.43 Scottish record was set by David Strang in 1994.
- Only In Japan: 1,200 Attend Nittai University's Hakone Ekiden Victory Banquet
- Athletics Kenya Postpones Elections "Indefinitely" Because The Country Needs To Focus On Actual Political Elections
- Several Course Records Fall At Chunichi Hamanako Ekiden - The Last Major Ekiden Of The Season
More Weekend Events
- European XC Champ Fionnuala Britton Runs 4:13.96 - 4+ Second PR - Running Stockholm 3k On Wed. Her previous PR was 4:18.03.
- IAAF Recap Of French Champs: Lavillenie Clear WLeading 5.93 As Lemaitre Third In 60 In 6.69
- Three Records In 90 Minutes On Super Sunday At Italian Indoor Champs - M60m (6.51), Mhj (2.33m), Wpv (4.60)
- Recap Of Other Notable Performances From Various Indoor European Champs
- Meet The Ivory Coast's Murielle Ahoure, Who Ran 6.99 The 60m ace went to HS in VA and won the NCAA 200m for Miami.
Millrose Games *Results For The 2013 Millrose Games *TV Re-Broadcast Online Here
LRC: Records Galore At 2013 Millrose Games: Lagat, Mary Cain, 2 X 600, Chris O'Hare Mary Cain started the record-setting night in the women's mile and it continued all night after that until Chris O'Hare set a collegiate record in 4th place in the Wanamaker Mile. In between, Bernard Lagat barely got back his 2 mile record, unheralded Erik Sowinski upset Duane Solomon AND Nick Symmonds to set the American record in the 600, and Alysia Montano crushed the field and the AR in the 600.
- IAAF Recap In other events, 35-year-old "Doc" Patton won the 60 in a world-leading 6.50 seconds, which was an Armory record and PR. Oregon's English Gardner beat Jeneba Tarmoh in the women's 60 as Jenn Suhr won the PV and Inika
McPherson was the surprise win over Olympic silver medalist Brigetta Barrett in the HJ. Janay DeLoach beat out Olympic and World champ Brittney Reese in the LJ with 6.90m for 2nd best in 2013.
- Nick Symmonds On Millrose 600: "I was happy with my speed and pace, but I’ll probably take a break from running until the Penn Relays."
- RRW: Lopez Lomong Dedicates Wanamaker Mile Win To His Family As He Wins In His Home State
- NY Times: For 16-Year-Old At Millrose, Another Race, Another Record We wish the article didn't compare Cain to Mary Decker, who was convicted of doping later in her career.
- Cheserek To UO: Edward Cheserek Chooses His College; Will Go To Oregon
- MileSplit High School Weekend Coverage Includes interview with Mary Cain.
- Video Interview With Aussie Ryan Gregson After A Rough 3:55
- Pre-Race: LRC Millrose Games Polls Who wins? Symmonds or Solomon? Hasay or Cain? Does Lagat get the 2-mile record?
Deena Kastor Wins Her First Race As A Master At Kaiser Permanente Rock 'N' Roll Pasadena Half Marathon In 1:12:57 Adam Kovacs won the men's race in 1:06:42 as Dartmouth alum Glenn Randall (famous for leading the first 10k of the 2012 Boston Marathon) finished second and Sergio Reyes was 3rd.
- UK Starts To Form Their Team For European Champs, But Some Stars Will Miss Out
- Christophe Lemaitre Will Miss Out On European Champs As He Only Finished 3rd In French Nationals Champs 60m Jimmy Vicaut won in 6.53 for the fastest European time this year.
- Profile On Irish 400m Sprinter Brian Gregan, Who Is Having A Breakthrough Year After Beating Olympic Silver Medalist Santos Lugueli Last Weekend Track isn't that popular in Ireland either as the article calls him "the fastest man you've never heard of" and complains about track only being popular every 4 years.
Birmingham Grand Prix *Results/Flash Recap
LRC Mo Farah Wins, G. Dibaba Dominates And Michael Rimmer Gets Away With A Foul The British fans got what they want as Mo Farah won as expected, but the distance performance of
the night came from Genzebe Dibaba, who won the 1,500 by 7+ seconds. After a trip at the finish line, there was a shock result in the men's 800. Plus world leaders by Natasha Hastings and Murielle Ahoure who beat Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, who ran her 1st-ever indoor race.
*Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Pleased With Her Indoor Debut As She Takes 2nd In 60m As Carmelita Jeter Was Well Beaten In 4th Fraser-Pryce: "Will I be back for more, definitely."
*Aleksey Dmitrik Wins HJ In 2.33m Over Olympic Medalists Robbie Grabarz & Ivan Ukhov Jenny Meadows finished second in the 800 in her first race since September 2011. Russia's Ekaterina Poistogova won in 2:02.25.
*UK's Holly Bleasdale Wins PV Over Olympic Silver Medalist Yarisley Silva In 4.70m
*Cool Video Of Mo Farah Training And Interviewing In Kenya Talking about the future, he mentions eventually taking a stab at the WRs in the 5,000/10,000.
*Based On His Training In Kenya, Paula Radcliffe Thinks Mo Farah Will Do Well At The Marathon Distance "I've seen him attack the long runs out [training] in Kenya and he has all of the ingredients [for success]."
*Mo Farah To Run The First Half Of The Virgin London Marathon This Year Yes, half of it. Unusual to say the least, but it can't hurt the TV ratings. Article and video interview with Mo. Arguably the world's greatest marathon men's field got even better.
Previous: 2013 Virgin London Marathon Field Released - Is This The Greatest Men's Marathon Field In History?
*MB: MO FARAH TO RUN HALF THE 2013 VIRGIN LONDON MARATHON
Good For Her: *Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Slams Male Sprinters For Avoiding Each Other
Usain Bolt's 2-Handed Jam Was Highlight Of Friday Night's NBA Celebrity Game Bolt seemingly belongs in the NBA as the refs let him get away with a massive travel but it was impressive nonetheless. Bolt's post-dunk interview was very funny as he claimed he just has a long stride.
2013 RAK Half Marathon Was Friday Morning
LRC Geoffrey Kipsang: The Total Stud Who Could Win World XC, But Will He Run It? Kipsang is simply on fire right now. Haven't heard of him? Read our article or look below but he's currently
the best runner on the planet.
Geoffrey Kipsang (58:54) And Lucy Kabuu (66:09) Win 2013 RAK Half Marathon On Record-Setting Day The RAK is now officially the best half marathon on the planet. Ken Nakamura reports that for 1st time ever, 3 nen broke 59:00 in a single race and 4 women broke 67, 6 broke 68 and 10 broke 69. LRC Analysis coming soon.
*2013 RAK Half Marathon Stats By Ken Nakamura
*IAAF Recap *Sheikh Saud Attended RAK Half Marathon
Oscar P Charged With Murder
*The Curse Of The Swoosh: Nike Athletes Who Have Faced Scandals *MB: Is Nike the new SI or Madden jinx?
*Oscar's Murder Stuns His Italian Host Town Of Gemona
*Reeva's Family Starting To Speak To Press
*Alan Abrahmson Reacts To Oscar P: "(He) seemed like one of the world's genuinely nice guys."
Previous: Oscar P Shows Up In Court, Sobs - Newspaper Reports Shots Fired Through Bathroom Door The paper that first broke the story, The Beeld (translated from Afrikaans), says the shots were fired through a bathroom door.
*Family And Management Team Issues Statement That Dispute Charges In The "Strongest Terms"
*Did Oscar P's Father Once Accidentally Shoot Himself In The Testicles? (Tranlsated From Afrikaans)
*Police Reject Self Defense Theory - Charge Oscar P With Murder The Internet was full of people saying, "Maybe she surprised him on VDay and got shot as he thought she was an intruder at 3 am," but security footages shows she arrived at the house at 8:15 pm.
*Oscar Pistorius Charged With Murder After He Shoots And Kills His Girlfriend
*Police Totally Discount Intruder Reports
*TMZ.com Exclusive: Pistorious' Blade Legs NOT Considered Weapons Behind Bars
*Christine Brennan: Pistorius latest athlete we really don't know
*Simon Hart States The Obvious: A Guilty Verdict Will Ruin His Legacy Forever
*Not Everyone Has Given Up On Oscar P: Runner's World S. Africa Editor: "I think today everybody has kind of rallied round him."
*A Look At Some Of Oscar Pistorius' Alleged Past Incidences Of Drunken And Abusive Behavior Interesting read.
*Inside Oscar's Bedroom: One cricket bat, one baseball bat, a revolver and a machine gun Daily Mail
*S. Africa Has Strict Gun Laws, Tons Of Guns, And Gun Violence Washington Post
*Nike "I am the bullet in a chamber" Oscar P Ads Pulled, As Are Oscar P "Oscar's" Awards
*Q&A With SI's David Epstein On Oscar
*Slain Model Reeva Steenkamp An "Angelic Soul"
*Remembering Reeva Steenkamp
*Police To Oppose Bail At Friday Hearing
*What Happens Next
- Russian Indoor Champs Recap: Yekaterina Kupina, The Only Athlete In The World This Year To Dip Under Two Minutes, Failed To Make The Final Kseniya Ustalova ran a world-leading 51.31 in the 400 and Sergey Shubenkov tied the WL in the 60h at 7.50.
- Penn State's Beth Alford-Sullivan & Florida's Mike Holloway Named Head Coaches Of US Track & Field Team For 2013 World Outdoor Championships
- Athletics Golden Couples: With 15 Medals, Tirunesh Dibaba And Sileshi Sihine Ranked #1 By Spikes Mag
- A Look At Some Of The Best Win Streaks In Track & Field History
Daring To Ask The PED Question
A Must Read: Daring To Ask The PED Question: "If everyone is secretly suspicious of so many athletic achievements, why aren't we talking about it?" In our last Week That Was, we said, "There are two types of runners - those that either 'get' letsrun.com or don't." Well, sports writer Bill Simmons might not be talking about running, but he definitely "gets" LRC as he explains why questioning today's professional athletic performances in is not only okay, but has become part of sports. As he says, "There is no such thing as 'the benefit of the doubt' anymore. Not in sports. Too many people took advantage. All the benefits are gone." It is for this reason that we allow threads like this one to exist: MB: Solomon suddenly world class and Rupp soloing 3.50 indoor miles - Come on Letsun, ask the questions!
2013 USA XC *USA XC Results/Splits *MB: Official 2013 USA XC Thread *LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Chris Derrick!?! - National Champion! link fixed The wait is over. Arguably the greatest American collegiate distance runner not to win an NCAA title, Derrick pulled away from Dathan Ritzenhein and Matt Tegenkamp to win his first national title in his first race as a sponsored pro. It was a good day for Jerry Schumacher's crew as they had 3 of the top 4 in the men's race plus Shalane Flanagan winning the women's.
LRC Shalane Flanagan Wins 2013 Women's US Cross-Country Championships Flanagan was the class of the field (World XC bronze in 2011), but Olympian Kim Conley put up a brave fight. Afterwards, Flanagan said she will not run World XC as she prepares for the Boston marathon.
Jr. Races: *LRC 2013 Jr. Girls Results - William & Mary's Emily Stites Dominates
*LRC 2013 Jr. Boys Results - Ok. State's Craig Nowak Wins
*USATF Athlete Quotes
Rest In Peace Will Steele - aka "The Cancer Guy"
LRC Celebrating The Life Of "The Cancer Guy" Will Steele Will Steele was running 18 minute miles last year. And never has there been a more inspirational runner on LetsRun.com. We pay our respects to this great man who contributed so much to the LetsRun.com community and lost his battle with cancer one month ago on Christmas eve.
A MUST Read - One Of The Greatest Races Ever Run - The US Women's Version Of The Billy Mills 10,000 Win
RWorld Reintroduces The World To Debbie Heald, Who 40 Years Ago Incredibly Ran The US HS Indoor Mile Record Of 4:38.5 Steve Friedman's piece on Heald is moving to say the least. Heald, whose father had committed suicide,
who had been molested and who was always battling injury (13 different running-related surgeries), somehow
at the US vs. USSR meet at age 16 in 1972 beat the greatest runners in the world, including the indoor 1,500 record holder and that year's eventual Olympic 1,500 champion, by running an a 8.5-second PR of 4:38.5. She came from way back to win thanks to a ferocious kick and she was known for having no kick. Her life since then has been full of struggles with schizophrenia but her HS indoor record still stands.
MB: Debbie Heald article in RW
Our Weekly Recap
TWTW Mary Cain, Alysia Montaño, Robby Andrews And Much More, Including Can The USA Win World Cross-Country? This week, we praise Mary Cain for her great tactics, give props to the amazing collegiate milers, including the unheralded Ryan Hill, talk about Bumbalough over Jager (again), tell you that Centro does get tired, wonder if it’s time to panic for Robby Andrews, and tell you that the performance of the weekend came from Alyisa Montaño. We then start to salivate as to how incredible the 2013 Virgin London Marathon is going to be and ask the unthinkable - can the US beat Kenya at World Cross-Country? Plus will Marta Dominguez ever be busted for being a doper? And google kills off Mary Cain.
Latest Oscar P News
Stunning Live Updates Here: Oscar P. Uses Disability as Key Part of His Defense - I woke up in the summer heat, went out on the patio on my stumps to get a fan, heard a noise in the bathroom and thought there was an intruder as I knew the window was open and ladders were accessible nearby, "I
felt extremely vulnerable
(as I was on my stumps) but I knew I had to protect Reeva and myself."
*MB: Discuss Live Updates Here: Wow: Oscar P's sobbing was so good the judge stopped the proceedings: "My compassion as a human being does not allow me to just sit here,"
Latest Theory: Did Text Message Or Tweet To/From Rugby Player Francois Hougaard Set Oscar P Off Into Murder-Filled Rage?
Good Read Q&A About What To Expect At Tuesday's Court Hearing (Most Of You Will Be Asleep When This Happens) Interesting to learn there are zero jury trials in SA and thus they aren't too worried about the media links as judges are less influenced by that. He's most likely to spend at least 25 years in prison if convicted.
*Meet The Hunk Francois Hougaard
*Pics Of Pistorius Crying In Court Violated A Judge's Order - Won't Happen Again Audio tape recordings are allowed but only before and after photos.
*Pistorius' Lawyers Trying To Figure Out Way That He Doesn't Get Life In Prison
*Reeva Steenkamp's Body Returned Home For Funeral On Tuesday
*Agent: Oscar Pistorius Has Received "Overwhelming Support" The agent also realizes he's personally likely to lose a ton of dollars potentially. "Obviously from a management side and also as a friend, it's a tragic circumstance."
*As If This Was Needed: Pistorius' Management Team Cancels All Of His Upcoming Track Races
*As If This Was Needed: Nike: No Plans For Pistorius In Future Ads
*As If This Was Important: Pistorius Could Lose London 2012 Paralympic Medals Over Steroid Claims
*S. Africa Isn't That Much Different Than The US: Tragedy Kicks Off Gun Control Debate
Steroids Reportedly Found In Oscar's Home Should we really be surprised? If any top athlete gets busted these days, we don't think you should be surprised.
*Discuss Steroids Here
*Distraught Oscar P Called His Best Friend After Shooting Before Police Oscar P reportedly said, "My baba (baby), I've killed my baba (baby). God take me away."
*Sky News And NBC Setting Up Shop Outside Of Oscar's Jail "He is about the only Olympic person they [Brits] know that isn't British apart from Usain Bolt."
*Dream Legal Teams Set To Square Off The Prosecutor is pretty famous in S. Africa and Oscar has a top notch lawyer and a great PR team.
Kenyan XC Trials *Men Race Video *Results
Relative Unknowns Philemon Rono And Margaret Wangare Win - Geoffrey Kipsang Gets Wild Card Rono, who turned 22 a week ago Friday, has a 60:58 half PR. A 33-year-old 13:24/27:45 guy was 2nd.
Kirui was third. The women's winner has PRs of 4:06/14:48 and was 4th at the Kenyan 1,500 Trials last year. The big news is there are 4 wild card selections who may run, including the
man we think may win Worlds - Geoffrey Kipsang. *Results
*World XC Junior Champ Faith Chepng'etich Wins Kenyan Trials; Mercy Cherono's Younger Sister Caroline Chepkoech Was 4th Kwemoi Ronald was the winner of the boys junior race over a field that included s
ub-27 10ker Emmanuel Bett (a different Bett than the sub-27 10ker) and World Junior steeple champion Conseslus Kipruto.
*Capital FM Recap *IAAF Recap *Standard Media
*Men Race Video
LRC Geoffrey Kipsang: The Total Stud Who Could Win World XC, But Will He Run It? Kipsang is simply on fire right now. Haven't heard of him? Read our article or look below, but he's currently the best runner on the planet.
Today's Doping News
- Spanish Steepler Marta Domínguez Linked To Doping Doctor Eufemiano Fuentes There were multiple documents making it pretty clear that she received EPO treatments and blood transfusions.
- Kenyan Writer Calls On Athletics Kenya To Respond To Allegations Of Kenyan Doping Made By Moses Kiptanui And "Tackle Doping Head On" www.standardmedia.co.ke
- Study Says 14% Of Track Athletes At Daegu WC's Blood Doped: WADA Director General David Howman Says Doping Problem Is Getting "Bigger And More Serious" And "Too Big For Sport To Manage" He blames sports federations for only doing the bare minimum as he said, "Where's the commitment here? We spend all the money and put everything in place. What we've discovered in the last number of years is that unless we make something mandatory, people won't do it. If it's discretionary, they think they don't have to bother."
- IOC Calls For Conference With WADA To Try To Ease Growing Tensions Between WADA And Several Sports Obviously cycling is the big one.
Oscar Pistorius Updates
- S. African Paper Exclusive: The Case Against Oscar A bloodied cricket bat has been found. Oscar called his parents after gunning down his girlfriend. Prosectuors reportedly have a "rock-solid" case against Oscar. Police are testing his blood for drugs and steroids, anticipating a "roid rage" defense.
- Oscar Pistorius Reportedly Tried To Resuscitate His Girlfriend After He Shot Her Reports in Afrikaans-language newspaper Beeld said he carried her down the stairs and tried to resuscitate her.
- Reeva Steenkamp's Funeral Set For Tuesday
- Oscar Pistorius' Agent Says Oscar Has Received "Overwhelming Support" Form His Fans His agent visited him in prison to discus his track career/state of his sponsorships. All his future races have been cancelled.
- Agent Also Says At This Point All His Sponsors/Partners Are Maintained
- Pistorius Trial Cartoon: ""If he gets off it'll be the closest shave anyone's ever had with two blades"
- Soccer Player Speaks Out On Oscar P's Bad Temper
- Oscar's Uncle Defends Him: "We have no doubt there is no substance to the allegation and that the state's own case, including its own forensic evidence, strongly refutes any possibility of a premeditated murder or murder as such."
- Video: Reality TV Show Featuring Reeva Steenkamp Goes On Air Two Days After Her Death
- Interesting Read: Radio Journalist David O'Sullivan Compares The Polite, Unassuming Oscar Pistorius He First Met At 17 To The One Today Apparently Pistorius' roommate at the Paralympics had to move out because Oscar "was constantly screaming in anger at people on the phone."
- Usain Bolt Reacts: "When I heard, I was in shock and I'm still just trying to process it in my head to see if this is really real."
- Courtroom Photos Of Oscar Pistorius Crying Were Never Meant To Be Made Public As There Was A Court Order Against Photography During The Trial
- Pistorius' Agent Has Started Cancelling His Scheduled Races For The Year 9 races cancelled in total.
- Sarah Britten Of Johannesburg's Mail & Guardian: "Oscar was our good thing ... He was a great South African brand and now his story, and our part of it lies in tatters."
- 7:54 Steepler Paul Kipsiele Koech Wins Val de Reuil 3,000 In 7:38 At Jesse Owens' Stadium Tuesday Night Other action included Olympic steeple silver medalist Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad losing in the 1,500 to Morocco's Abdelaati Iguider, who won with 3:38.24, and US's Mike Rodgers beating out former 100m World champ Kim Collins in the 60m.
- US's Ryan Whiting Dominates Shot Put In Pedro's Cup Meet In Bydgoszcz, Poland There was top competition as Germany's two Olympic medallists Bjorn Otto and Raphael Holzdeppe faced off with Otto winning easily as Holzdeppe no-heighted. For the women, Olympic silver medallist Yarisley Silva won over Great Britain's 2013 world leader Holly Bleasdale.
- Albany Sweeps America East Conference Titles
3-Time World Champ Moses Kiptanui Speaks On Drugs In Kenya: "There are a good number of athletes out there who are using drugs." For everyone who is stunned, we'll say this: "Wherever there is big money, there is corruption." *Audio Of Kiptanui
- Wilson Kipsang Thinks The WR May Go Down At This Spring's London Marathon And Says He Considers Patrick Makau And Geoffrey Mutai His Biggest Rivals On coming so close to breaking the WR in Frankfurt: "When I see Patrick I always joke with him: 'was it three or four seconds?'"
- First Anniversary Of London Games To Be Marked By Three Days Of Track In The Olympic Stadium Will begin with two days of the Diamond League on July 26-27 followed by a day of Paralympic events on July 28.
- Athletics Weekly Tribute To Rita Ridley, One Of GB's Greatest Distance Runners, Who Died From Cancer Earlier This Week She was the 1970 Commonwealth Games 1,500m champion.
- Team GB Chef de Mission Andy Hunt Leaves BOA After 4-Year Tenure
Admin News: IOC Won't Reassign Armstrong's Olympic Medal
- Lance Armstrong's Olympic Medal Won't Be Reassigned The IOC asked Armstrong to hand back the his 2000 Sydney Games bronze after he confessed on Oprah. No word if he gave it back yet.
- Penn State Head Coach Beth Alford-Sullivan Named Head Coach For US Women's Team For Moscow World Champs
- South Africa's Olympic Committee Steps In To Help Their In-Debt And Embattled Athletics Federation
- IAAF President Lamine Diack Hails Deceased Jamaican T&F Administrator Neville "Teddy" McCook As A "Passionate Servant" & "Tireless Administrator"
Drug News: Australia Getting Serious About Anti-Doping
- +1 For Australia: Aussie Olympic Committee Requiring All Its Athletes To Sign "Statutory Declarations" Saying They Have Never Doped The AOC warned, "Any person who wilfully and corruptly makes a false statutory declaration knowing it to be untrue will be guilty of a criminal offence and could face up to 5 years imprisonment."
- Good Cycling Read: WADA President John Fahey Says They Will Conduct An Independent Inquiry Into Cycling If The UCI Agrees To Stay Out Of It Fahey: "Cycling seems to be constantly lurching from crisis to crisis and the UCI must fix that for the good of the sport and everyone that enjoys it."
- WADA Says China Produces The Most Raw Doping Materials "Ninety-nine percent of the raw materials that are used through the internet to make up in your kitchen or your backyard laboratory are emanating from China."
Bolt/Blake/Powell Opened Up On Saturday *Results
- Usain Bolt Wins His Section In 46.71 Yohan Blake (46.64) 2nd to Warren Weir (46.23) in SEPARATE section. *Video Of Bolt's Heat
- Bolt: "I felt a bit nervous. I just came out here to win and I'm glad I won injury free." Blake said, "I'm happy with the run, despite the time. I'm just looking forward to the rest of the season."
*Warren Weir: "Speed endurance for me is one of the main things because you can be very fast in the 200m, but if you don't have speed endurance, you won't do well ..."
- Milo Western Relays: Asafa Powell And Nesta Carter Lead Their MVP 4 X 1 Team To Victory With 38.06 Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce led the MVP women's 4 x 1 team to a win with 44.03.
*Interesting Article On What Asafa Powell Is Up To Outside Of Track And What He Wants To Do When He Retires He collects expensive cars, invests in real estate, has started an online shopping company and has his own clothing line called "Sub-10 King."
2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix *NBIGP Results LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Photo Gallery
Men's 3k: LRC Galen Rupp Is Defeated As Hagos Gebrhiwet Sets New World Junior 3,000 Record Of 7:32.87
Women's 2-Mile: LRC Mary Cain Runs 9:38.68 For 2 Miles - The Greatest Distance Performance In US HS Girls History Tirunesh Dibaba was way ahead of the field as she won in 9:13.17.
LRC The Rest Of The 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix - Centro, Lakhouad And Wright Win As Suhr Takes Crack At AR
Run, Recover, Run More
LRC Runners Recover Better And Hopefully Stay Injury Free With These Two Products From The 2012 Running Event Wejo talks about some of the injury prevention products he saw at the The Running Event, which include better methods for massage, icing, and compression.
The Running Event Is In The Books *Photos
LRC The 2012 Running Event Is In The Books: Five Takeaways On The Industry Shark Tank's Daymond John Speaks The trade show for specialty running shops was last week in Austin, Texas and LRC's Wejo was there plus Ryan Hall,
Meb Keflezighi, and most of Saucony's top athletes. The running industry should be renamed the "how to not get injured" industry. Some take-aways from the convention.
*Press Release: The Running Event 2012 Attracts 2,100 To Austin
Usain Bolt Does The Harlem Shake
NCAA Conference Action (Patriot/Big East, MAAC, Others) Start This Weekend *All NCAA Results
- Diego Estrada Runs 2nd-Fastest 5k In The US This Year At NAU With An Altitude-Adjusted Time Of 13:37.01
- Big East: UConn Men, Notre Dame Women Win Big East Titles *Results
- Cory Leslie Wins Virginia Tech 1,000 In 2:19.83 Jeff See won the mile in 3:58.36.
- Erik Kynard Jumps 7-7¾ (2.33) At KSU Open
- Atlantic 10 Conference Champs Results
- Go Figure - Valentine's Make-Up Meet Was Actually Held On Valentine's Day: BU's Rich Peters Runs 3.56.04, 2nd-Fastest Mile In 2013 *2013 BU Valentine Results
- HS Simplot Games Results / Meet Site
News From Japan
- Ridiculous: 2 Weeks After Running 2:08:15 To Win The Beppu-Oita Mainichi Marathon Yuki Kawauchi Wins Hilly Kumanichi 30K In 1:29:31 (4:48 pace) He won by 3 seconds, setting a 36-second PR. Elsewhere, Masaki Ito won the Ome 30k in 1:30:21 as Hanson's runner Brendan Martin was 8th in 1:36:07.
- Yuki Kawauchi: "You used to be able to say that I didn't have any speed, but ... I think I've cracked that nut. 2:06 Is in sight."
- 2009 World Championships Silver Medalist Yoshimi Ozaki to Retire After Tokyo Marathon
3 Random But Interesting Distance Articles
- Well Said: Ken Goe: Throwing rocks at the state of track & field journalism is easier than being part of the solution We see what Kevin Liao was trying to say and liked his piece, but "mainstream journalists" didn't bring down Bonds, Jones, Lance or even Bill Clinton. Prosecutors/bloggers did.
*Liao Piece: Track & Field Deserves Real Journalism
- Chris Kelsall Catches Up With Olympic Marathon Champ Stephen Kiprotich It's clear from this interview he loves his coach Patrick Sang and his life has been changed big time. He's sent his wife back to school."
- One Who Stayed: CU Alum And 29:10 Guy Andy Wacker Is Balancing Grad School/Training With Wetmore He was a surprise 11th at USA XC.
Who Doesn't Love An Underdog? Meet Altra Zero Drop
About Altra Zero Drop: The Shoe Company Started By A Foot Locker Finalist (With Alan Webb And Ritz) Who Ran A 2:45 Marathon At Age 12 LRC visitor's love the underdog and one of our goals starting off the new year is to introduce you to some of the newer shoe companies. Altra Zero Drop is a relatively new company, growing fast. Perhaps you've seen their ESPN commercial? Click here for more info.
Previous Shoe News: On-Running Shoes And The "Cloud" Technology Founded By A World Class Triathlete
A Interesting Read Rojo's "No Question Goes Unanswered" Interview With Women's Running Website - Saltyrunning.com This is
read as Rojo goes back to the
beginning and shares the co-founders vision for the site. He is unfazed when asked if LRC is "elitist, anti-hobbyjogger, and anti-women," he reveals the secrets as to how the site is made each day, and he defends
the no registration policy of the message boards.
Previous: Saltyrunning's A Girl's Guide To Letsrun.com *MB: Discuss
*The LetsRun Interview, Part II: "What I'm about to say is controversial ..." Rojo talks about why running will never be as popular as the NFL, PEDs, his own running and who the athletes are to watch in 2013. *MB: Discuss
The Week That Was
LRC The Week That Was: A Bunch Of Nick Symmonds, The Nike .1% Solution, LRC Goes To Japan, And Much More This week we wonder, "Can Nick Symmonds really move up to the 1,500?", LetsRun.com goes to Japan, JK is confirmed to be a genius (yet again), and we wish that Nike would sponsor a "Just Do It Fairly" campaign. Along the way there is talk of Matt Tegenkamp, Dathan Ritzenhein, Al Sal, Mary Cain, Galen Rupp, German Fernandez, Robby Andrews, Leo, Centro, Wheating, Tyson Gay, Dorian Ulrey, Rich Kenah, Sam Mackenzie and Nick Wade.
Ryan Hall Speaks
LRC Ryan Hall Talks About Cam Levins' 190-Mile Weeks And Is Impressed Hall: "It's working for him. My hat's off to him. He inspires me. That's why I started following him on Twitter. I feel like I'm training hard and I'm not doing nearly that kind of training."
LRC Ryan Hall Talks About His Running Shoes Hall says he has different shoes for every speed he runs and that he has an "unhealthy attachment" to the Asics Gel Hyper Speed.
Beautiful People: NCAA Banquet Photos (Click On Photo)
Back To Top18-Yr Old Ethiopian Muktar Edris Gets The Win Over A Deep Field In Campaccio XC Race As Kim Conley Gets 4th For The Women He beat out John Kipkoech (12:49 5000) and sub-27 man Geoffrey Kirui by less than a second
as Moses Kipsiro was 4th, Leonard Komon 8th, Euro XC Champ Andrea Lalli 9th and Scott Bauhs 10th. Debele Degefa won the women's race in a
close sprint with Afera Godfay as Conley was 4th and two-time World steeplechase bronze medallist Milcah Chemos 6th.