Sad News - Track And Field Loses Three Heroes
- Olympic Hammer Champ And World Record Holder Harold Connolly Passes Away Good read for those of you who know very little on this legend. New York Times
- Meb Keflezighi Shares His Memories Of Scott Davis
- Philip Hersh: Track And Field Has Lost 2 Of Its Greats In Harold Connolly And Scott Davis
- Track Announcer And Former Mt. SAC Director Scott Davis Passes Away He announced NCAAs, Pre and the World Juniors champs this year but contacted an infection in Canada and died on Wednesday. *IAAF Eulogy *Message Board Thread On Davis' Passing
- Unsung Hero Of Kenyan Athletics, Joseph Chelimo, Has Passed Away The coach of world/Olympic champions Reuben Kosgei, Richard Limo, Enock Koech, Eliud Kipchoge and Brimin Kipruto was respected by many in Kenya as 2,000 turned out for his funeral.
World Youth Olympics Underway *Results *Live Coverage
- Finals Set At World Youth Olympics
- 16-Year-Old Odane Skeen, Who Ran 10.46 Earlier This Year, Wants To Be Better Than Bolt
- World Youth Olympics Get Underway With 1/3 Of World Leaders Absent
- Caster Semenya Built Homes For Needy On Thursday In S. Africa It was announced she's running in Berlin on Sunday - not sure if that is still on.
- McMillian Elite Adds 7 Athletes, Including Aaron Braun
Catching Up With Adam & Kara Goucher And Amy Begley
- Adam: Close To Retirement? "I always told myself I'll never be that guy, that's 35 years old and can't see the writing on the wall. I'm sure the vast majority of people out there are saying (I) can't see the writing on the wall." *LRC MB: Adam Goucher is coming to grips with retirement
- Kara Talks About Being 6 Weeks Away From Birth And Says Lisa Koll Was Run "Ragged" In College
- 2010 US 10k Champ Amy Begley Has Achilles Surgery
Week In Review
LRC Week In Review We open our mouths big time this week and have our first $3,350 guarantee regarding Alan Webb. Plus, we confirm that Andrew Wheating is better than Nick Symmonds right now and wonder what happened to Asbel Kiprop, David Rudisha and Alysia Johnson for that matter. And we go ga-ga over David Moorcroft one more time.
Shaq Vs. Tyson
Shaq Vs. Tyson Gay Recap updated with video We have to recap this because it will be the most watched track and field event of the year in
the United States by probably
a factor of 3 or 4 (we're not joking). Shaq took on Tyson Gay over 30 yards (Gay ran 60) and then Shaq, Mo Greene and Desean Jackson (NFL) took on Tyson Gay, Chris Johnson (NFL) and Dwight Howard (NBA) in a relay.
On The Boards: *Tyson Gay 6.05 60m? #1 all time outdoors?
*Bad move by Tyson Gay?
*Shaq vs. ???
*Usain Bolt Says Loss To Tyson Gay Will Not Play On His Mind
*15-Year-Old Odane Skeen Trying To Follow In Usain Bolt's Footsteps At Youth Olympics
*Shocking: Bolt Admits To Not Partying All The Time "When I was starting out I had to stay at home and maintain my focus rather than going out with my friends." Plus he talks about his street smarts.
The Comebacks Begin
- LRC: Alan Webb Comeback Begins With 1:52.32 800-Meter Race The American record holder in the mile got off to a slow start and never passed anyone in the race and finished 7th out of 9. The link above includes the race video. Updated: We now have up a new story that has the finishing times of all of the competitors and find the conditions probably added 1-2 seconds to everyone's time.
- LRC: Olympic Silver Medallist Nick Willis Edged By Russell Brown At CIGNA Falmouth Mile As Both Break 4:00.00. The final tally was 3:59.61 to 3:59.73. Willis is on the comeback trail after knee surgery (although he did run 3:35 in Feb.). Link includes race finish.
- After Tough Summer, Russell Brown Pleased To Defeat Willis Brown, who opened his outdoor season with a 3:36 but never ran faster, was honest about what he accomplished: "I don't think I raced against the real Nick Willis."
Falmouth Road Race
- Gebre Gebremariam's Super-Hot Summer Continues As Ayalew Upsets Chepkurui In Women's Race Gebremariam got yet another sprint victory and now he's won Healthy-Kidney, Peachtree, Beach to Beacon and Falmouth. A day after finishing 4th in the mile in 4:02, American Ed Moran was 5th just behind marathon legend Martin Lel.
- Better Safe Than Sorry, Meb Withdraws From Falmouth The defending ING NYC champ is playing it safe as he was able to run 14.5 miles the day before the race.
Commonwealths Are 7 Weeks Away
- Jenny Meadows Is Out The world and European bronze medallist wants to run indoors and her Achilles is bothering her.
- Lisa Dobriskey Is In She will defend her Commonwealth title after all as she feels she is just now coming into form.
- Brits Face Choice - Commonwealths Or Indoors Next Year At Commonwealths, you represent England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.
- Team To Be Announced Wednesday
- India's PM Steps In To Try To Save Preparations The Indians are blaming foreign companies for their own ineptitude/corruption.
The Poor Dope As Well
8 Pakistanis Fail Doping Tests
Waste Of Money Youth Olympic Games Open
- Good Read: Pat Butcher On Youth Olympics And Rising Young Stars Butcher talks about some of the future stars of the sport like 15-year-old Qatari Hamza Driouch (1:47.05!) and some of today's stars who excelled as youth (in his teenage years, Kenenisa Bekele actually lost the youth 3,000).
- Athletics Competition Starts On Tuesday Some interesting events for the 15-17 year olds like the 1000 as well as a 100, 200, 300 and 400 relay.
- First Youth Olympic Games Underway In Singapore 3-on-3 basketball is a sport.
Into The Wild Of San Francisco
Interview With Guy Who Missed OT Qualifier By 1 Second In San Francisco Former Penn Stater Tyler McCandless flew out to San Francisco to try to get his 2012 Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier but ended up with a 65:01 and a quality story.
Mark Lewis Francis Calls Michael Johnson The Simon Cowell Of Athletics We're the ones who actually sidelined MLF's career ten years by telling him it was okay to eat at McDonald's when we roomed with him in Ireland. We're glad to see him running better in 2010, but see Michael Johnson's point.
17-Year-Old Oliver Bear Don't Walk Runs 6:07 Pace For 50k To Break US Junior Record
Horrific Crash Between A Van And An SUV Both Carrying Cross-Country Runners (And Cal Baptist Team) Kills 3 In California Our sympathies go out to all involved. You can share your thoughts here.
Folksam Grand Prix 2010 Results (Erin Donohue 2:00.34 Win, Duane Solomon 800m Win, Boaz Lalang 3:39 Over Will Leer) We are fans of John Cook but think it would be great if Erin Donohue went sub-4 before Shannon Rowbury. They'll both get the chance tomorrow in
*Gothenburg Sweden Recap IAAF
Antonio Pettigrew Has Died Updated article.
The 1991 world 400m champ, who admitted to using drugs from 1997-2003, was found dead at the age of 42. He was most recently an assistant coach at UNC. We commend Pettigrew for admitting his drug use and for UNC for giving him a second chance.
*Fair Obituary On Antonio Pettigrew In British Newspaper
On The Boards: RIP Antonio Pettigrew
*Career Facts On Pettigrew Eurosport Yahoo
*2008 Article On Pettigrew's Name Coming Out In Court ESPN
Usain Bolt Out For Rest Of Season With Back Injury Just when we started to think of the publicity a Bolt-Gay rematch in Brussels was going to get, it was announced Bolt is out for the rest of the season. For the rest of 2010, track and field in the US will be relegated to obscurity and tape delay broadcasts on obscure stations. In case you can't tell, we're bummed.
*Discuss Bolt's Injury
LRC 2010 Zürich Diamond League Recap: Like Old Times Wariner, Spearmon, Felix, Phillips, US 4 X 100 Impress, Solinsky Gets Closer It was like we went back a few years with all the top American stars from a couple of years ago kicking butt. Besides David Oliver, the one newcomer to the party was American Chris Solinsky, who had his best performance
of the year, a third place finish in another sub-13 minute clocking in the 5k, as younger American Galen Rupp ran over 13:00 but a PR. In the women's distance action, Nancy Langat won again and guess what - she didn't break 4:00. Incredible. $40,000 went to 16 Diamond League winners.
*Mo Farah Gets David Moorcroft's British 5,000m Record
*World Leader For Jeremy Wariner In Zürich
*Tyson Gay Leads Fast 4 X 100
*IAAF Recap Of Zürich: David Oliver's 12.93 Leads Way
On The Message Boards:
*Zurich womens 1500: Pierce and Uceny DNF?
*Zurich 5000m thread.
*Solinsky starting to remind me of Pre
*pro runners and narcissism
*Is Solinsky done?
*What happened to RUPP?
*Watler Dix Lost Out on $40,000 by Not Running Zurich
- Recommended Read Farah And Solinsky Now Know They Can Hang With The Best Every Time They Race Both runners credit working regularly with a number of super-elite training partners as a huge boost to fitness, confidence and expectations.
- Tyson Gay Getting Better Each Race But Ready For A Vacation After The Season Gay will only run a relay at Weltklasse but hopes to lower his American record by season's end. He also sees up-and-coming Christophe Lemaitre as a potential medal threat.
- IAAF Preview Of Zürich
- Nadezhda Ostapchuk First Athlete To Clinch A Diamond League Championship The Weltklasse shot put was held Wednesday and Ostapchuk staved off main rival Valerie Vili to earn the first-ever Diamond League championship. Christian Cantwell returned to his winning ways over Adam Nelson and Tomasz Majewski after last week's loss in the men's competition (the men's shot is not a Diamond League event this year). *Women's Shot Put Results *Men's Shot Put Results
- Preview Of Men's Races At Zürich Weltklasse athletics-weekly.com
- Preview Of Women's Races At Zürich Weltklasse athletics-weekly.com
- David Oliver Blog: "Zurich is to me, the BEST meeting on the European circuit and it's not even close."
- Tyson Gay Hoping To Beat The 9.69 He Ran Last Year In Shanghai
Sad: ING NYC Marathon To Finish At A Hot Dog Stand
NY Post: Local Union And Mayor Bloomberg Have Shut Down And Bankrupted Tavern On The Green Tavern on the Green the landmark, where the NYC Marathon finishes, has been shuttered since the start of the year. It looks like it's going to stay that way solely because of politics. The
restaurant was NYC highest grossing last year and is the #2 grossing restaurant in the US, yet it's closed. Crazy.
*NY Daily News: Tavern On The Green's Future As Hot Dog Stand This article is older, but people outside of NY have no idea of what is going on.
More Euro/African News
- Olympic High Jump Champ Belgian Tia Hellebaut Is Pregnant Again And Will Announce Retirement
- What The Hell Happened To Pamela Jelimo? That's not the actual headline but it's what we're thinking.
- British Athletes Who Go To Commonwealths Are Being Told To Skip Indoor Season independent.co.uk
- Recap Of S. African 10k Champs Despite a $7,000 bonus, Wejo's PR of 28:06 could not be beaten.
- Former S. Afircan Athletics Officials To Face Criminal Charges
- Carolina Klüft Says Her Body Is Done With Heptathlon
- Isinbayeva Eyes February Return
- WADA Chief Very Critical Of Major League Baseball
- Former NCAA 400m Star Adam Steele Now A Cop
Recommended Reads/London-Related Articles
- David Oliver Talks About His Rise From A Foot Locker Employee With No Contract To #1 In The World In 4 Years Along the way, he rips the European competition: "Outdoors, I don't really pay attention to any European guy."
- To Be One Of The World's Best, Mo Farah Eats, Sleeps & Trains Like/With The Kenyans Farah: "There's no distractions - no television, no going to the cinema. I realised if I was going to achieve anything I would have to do what the Kenyans were doing."
- Thanks To Yohan Blake's 9.89 In London, Jamaica Is Now 1st Country To Have 4 Sub-9.90s In One Season
Aviva London DL Friday-Saturday *LRC LiveThread *Full London Results *Friday Recap *Saturday Recap *Photos *Gay's 9.78 All-Comers Record!
Oliver, Wariner And Felix Headline Day II, Leo Goes 3:50 In Mile
American sprinters and field eventers, led by David Oliver (13.06), dominated the final day in London. In the distance events, Kenyan Augustine Choge took the men's mile in 3:50, while Leonel Manzano came back with another fine performance, running 3:50.64 to place 3rd and set himself atop the 2010 US mile leaderboard. 2 Americans (Uceny and Pierce) broke 2:00 in the 800 but Mariya Savinova (1:58) proved she's the world #1, as Alysia Johnson and Maggie Vessey were well back. Biggest surprise of the day? Christian Cantwell loses a 20-meet win streak in the shot put.
*IAAF Recap Of Day 2: Felix Completes Sprint Double As Christian Cantwell Loses For 1st Time All Year
*Top Coaches Ricky Simms, Terrence Mahon And Alberto Salazar Talk At UK Distance Summit Rule #1 - Make sure you coach some of the most talented people on the planet.
*After Excelling At Euros, Brits Flop At Home
*US Stars Dominate
*Carolina Klüft Profile Very few photos included.
*Oscar Pistorious Still Way Short Of Commonwealth Games Time
LRC MBoard Talk
*Leo Goes 3:50 For 3rd
*Elite Coaches Meet, Talk Training In London
London Friday: Tyson Gay 9.78 Into A Headwind!!!
With Asafa Powell and Usain Bolt sidelined and rainy, cool conditions for the first of two days in London, American Tyson Gay ran the fastest time of 2010 despite not being sure if his groin would hold up. Aviva Grand Prix Day 1 also featured PRs for Oregon grads Wheating and Rupp, a win for Lagat in the 3k, and the return of Tirunesh Dibaba to the top of the world 5,000 ranks.
*Andrew Wheating 1:44.56 PR For 2nd Ahead Of Nick Symmonds Again
*Men's 3k: Lagat Wins 7:40, Farah 2nd, Rupp 7:43 PR, Mottram 7:45
*Full Friday Results
*Tyson Gay Blitzes Field With World Leading 9.78 Eurosport/Yahoo Recap
*IAAF's UK Respondent Has Laptop Stolen
It's Official: Asafa Powell Out Usain Bolt originally wanted to race here as well until the Brits tried to tax his endorsement income. Without Bolt and Powell, this meet is still pretty good, as if you can have a 2 day track meet and get fans to pay to watch, you've got quality. Now the headliner is Walter Dix vs. Tyson Gay over 100m. We could see Bernard Lagat get the American 3k record, we have Andrew Wheating and Nick Symmonds in the 800 and the American female crew in the women's 1,500.
London Aviva IAAF Preview It is really annoying how the IAAF website has half a preview and then directs you to the Diamond League site.
*Tyson Gay 6-Minute BBC Interview Where He Talks About Beating Bolt, Racing In London And More Gay says he's never taken a vacation and will take one this year. He's earned it to say the least.
*Carmelita Jeter Ready For London, Talks About Her 83 Year Old Grandmother Getting Upset About Online Comments About Her It's too bad Veronica Campbell Brown isn't in many DL meets this year. She's the world leader in the 100 and 200 this year. If the men's top 100 and 200 man wasn't running a lot of meets, people would be asking why. We've heard very little about Veronica this year.
*Hurdler David Oliver Clearly Enjoying The 2010 Season The WR could fall at any time. Oliver missed nearly 4 months in 2009.
More: British 400m Man Michael Bingham (Via Wake Forest) Says He's Not Just Competing For Britain For Financial Reasons Independent.co.uk
*21-Year-Old Perri Shakes-Drayton, Surprise Bronze Medallist In 400m Hurdles At Europeans, Excited About London 2010 The Independent
- High School Phenom Cybulski Chooses UCLA
- John Millar To Wake Forest
- Steve Walsh To W&M
- Arkansas Best Team On Paper? No.
News, History British News - Farah, Coe And Yamauchi
Mo Farah Glowing After 10k/5k Double At Euros - Says He Can Medal In London 2012 Farah's wife went home alone from their honeymoon so he could stay and train in the mountains of Kenya.
*36-Year-Old Mara Yamauchi Announced For ING NYC Marathon Yamauchi so far is the biggest name to rival Shalane Flanagan and Deena Kastor. After a 2:23 career-best 2009 London performance, Mara tanked and got 10th in 2010. She will hope to continue the trend of older women marathoners having success in the top marathons.
*Yamauchi To Run BUPA Great North Run Paula Radcliffe was the last Briton to win the race back in '03. Portugese Jessica Augusto will race as the returning champ.
22 Years Ago - Seb Coe Excluded From 1988 British Olympic Team Father/coach Peter Coe thought it was a political decision.
Sunday's Action *Luzern Results *Gatlin Results
Luzern: Nesta Carter Defeats Walter Dix 9.86 To 9.88, USA's Morgan Uceny Runs 1:58.67 The runs were PRs for Dix and Uceny. Uceny went sub-2:00 for the first time in her last 800m and then was the top American in Stockholm in the 1,500m before this race. Last year's 800m star Maggie Vessey only managed a 2:02.
Discussion Of Uceny's 1:58.67!
Estonia: Justin Gatlin Comeback Race #2 A Win In 10.17 Photo and recap. Adam Nelson won the shot put.