want to live abroad
Jobs in Australia, New Zealand? 3/18/2012 9:57PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am graduating this May with a degrees in molecular biology and wildlife biology and would like to live abroad for several months to several years, thinking maybe either Australia or New Zealand. I was wondering if anyone had any info or even job sites for this kind of stuff. I've tried google but have been having trouble finding a decent job search site for these countries.

Thanks.
zoom zoom
RE: Jobs in Australia, New Zealand? 3/18/2012 11:04PM - in reply to want to live abroad Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Australia -

www.seek.com.au
Moronic
RE: Jobs in Australia, New Zealand? 3/19/2012 1:29AM - in reply to want to live abroad Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Forget New Zealand, Australia leaves it for dead, nicer people too. NZ is worth a visit though once you're settled, if only to reassure yourself that you made the right decision in picking Australia.

From: http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/17nz.htm "At 30 June 2010, an estimated 566,815 New Zealand citizens were present in Australia", and they are only the ones we know about, so 566,815 plus Kiwis (NZers)can't be wrong.
Investigate
RE: Jobs in Australia, New Zealand? 3/19/2012 2:47AM - in reply to want to live abroad Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You better do some research on whether foreign nationals not part of the Commonwealth can work in NZ or Australia. I spent 5 weeks there in 1997 and met several Canadians and Brits who were there working/traveling. I was told that I, as a US citizen, couldn't obtain a job because I would be taking away job opportunities from the Kiwis. The Commonwealth folks must have a special arrangement and accompanying rules.

After I finished my PhD, I considered applying for a position in a research lab, but was told that they first had to ascertain whether or not a Kiwi could fill the slot. They are very careful about protecting job opportunities for their citizens, as they should be. I don't know if it's as strict in Australia. I'll ask my office mate tomorrow...he's an Aussie.

want to live abroad wrote:

I am graduating this May with a degrees in molecular biology and wildlife biology and would like to live abroad for several months to several years, thinking maybe either Australia or New Zealand. I was wondering if anyone had any info or even job sites for this kind of stuff. I've tried google but have been having trouble finding a decent job search site for these countries.

Thanks.
Moronic
RE: Jobs in Australia, New Zealand? 3/19/2012 3:00AM - in reply to Investigate Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
[quote]Investigate wrote:

I'll ask my office mate tomorrow...he's an Aussie.

[quote]

Or you could check the Australian Government web sites
(domain: .gov.au):

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/
mo'pak
RE: Jobs in Australia, New Zealand? 3/19/2012 3:57AM - in reply to want to live abroad Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A decision you are unlikely to regret whichever way you choose.
What particular type of job will this actually qualify you to do?
Also what sort of lifestyle are you looking at?
Big city, smaller city, rural city, country town, bush retreat, beaches, mountains, deserts, tropical, cool climate?

I have to go to work now but I will look up some job sites and post them for you.
Kiwi kiwi
RE: Jobs in Australia, New Zealand? 3/19/2012 4:16AM - in reply to want to live abroad Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Dont know what that rubbish is about US citizens not being able to get a job, thats bullsh*t.
www.seek.co.nz
^ most common job site in NZ.
And Moronic - piss off New Zealand is a far nicer place to live, way safer and far more friendly. the aussies are a bunch of posers
Ronald Bong
RE: Jobs in Australia, New Zealand? 3/19/2012 5:04AM - in reply to Kiwi kiwi Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
as many of NZ's finest are 'across the ditch' seeking employment/permanent residency, an opportunity may open up.

Kiwi Kiwi - with NZ being a nicer, safer and friendlier place to live, would it be worth telling the many, many countrymen and women who've chosen to live or among the posers (many permanently) to perhaps return to their country of origin? Can you start with Paul Henry?
fam fan
RE: Jobs in Australia, New Zealand? 3/19/2012 7:41AM - in reply to want to live abroad Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
before you make a decision to leave the US, check out Hawaii and California. Just as beautiful as NZ. Don't go to Australia.
California guy
RE: Jobs in Australia, New Zealand? 3/19/2012 9:44AM - in reply to fam fan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

fam fan wrote:

before you make a decision to leave the US, check out Hawaii and California. Just as beautiful as NZ. Don't go to Australia.

Except that AU and NZ are like California was in the 1950s in terms of scenic beauty and population density, which is way better than California is now.
Moronic
RE: Jobs in Australia, New Zealand? 3/19/2012 4:25PM - in reply to Kiwi kiwi Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Kiwi kiwi wrote:

And Moronic - piss off...

I have, along with 566,815 plus Kiwi's, to Australia.
Moronic
RE: Jobs in Australia, New Zealand? 3/19/2012 6:23PM - in reply to want to live abroad Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

want to live abroad wrote:

Thanks.

Mate, dunno what sort of search you did but I just Googled 'work in australia' so you might like to try that.
Also, CSIRO, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation http://www.csiro.au/