World Indoors Start Friday *Schedule/Results *Live Results *Live Stream Info *UK Visitors Watch On Demand Here For Free (link updated) *Live IAAF Radio *Meet Website *Yahoo Photos
LRC PM Session: Lagat Survives A Scare As Stellar 3k Final Is Set, Genzebe Dibaba Finds Her Event, Plus First 5,000-Point Pentathlon, And Ryan Whiting Joins 22.00m Club The men's 3,000m is the best event at these championhsips and heat 2 had some fireworks with the world leader Augustine Choge, Bernard Lagat and Mo Farah. Lagat had
the infield down the homestretch but he wasn't DQed and made the final. The Brenda Martinez train came to a screeching stop. In the pentathlon Natallia Dobrynska and Jessica Ennis put on a show with Dobrynska getting the World Record. In the shot, American Ryan Whiting won a fabulous competition.
OTB: *Lagat Took a Step on Inside Will they DQ Him?
*Ashton Eaton runs an unbelievable 6.79 60m, with a .277 RT!
*Rupp finishes 4th in 3:43.39 (PR), fails to advance
LRC Morning Session - Rupp Bows Out, Meet Ilham Tanui, Centrowitz, Erica Moore, Jackie Areson, Sara Hall Make Finals The World indoors got underway and the big event for LRC distance fans was the men's 1,500m semifinals. Galen Rupp drew unfavorable heat 1 and put up a game effort but did not advance, as Ilham Tanui arrived on the World stage and Matt Centrowitz advanced. All the other American distance runners except for Phoebe Wright advanced, as the women's 3,000m, women's 800 and men's 800 got going.
Pentathlon World Record! - Natallia Dobrynska Dobrynska Tallies 5013 Points
- Jessica Ennis Devastated As She Loses Her World Title Due to a computer glitch after the 800 for a short moment she had thought she won and celebrated only to find out the true score seconds later.
- Event-By-Event Recaps From IAAF
- RRW: Bernard Lagat Counting On Experience In 3,000m At World Indoor Championships He gets underway at noon Eastern Friday. IAAF 3k Preview
- Jenn Suhr Out Of World Champs Just decided not to compete.
- Sally Pearson Not Sure "What To Expect" From Only Second-Ever 60m Hurdles Race Someone has calculated that her 100m hurdle PR is equivaent to 7.63 over 60 meters, which would be a WR.
- Liu Xiang Hoping For Improvements By Moving To 7 Steps Instead Of 8 Before The First Hurdle
- Press Conference Athlete Quotes Part 1 *Part 2 Some good quotes from Ashton Eaton.
- Press Conference Video: Anger Sparks After "Plastic Brit"/Team Captain Tiffany Porter Is Challenged To Recite Lines To UK National Anthem
- Bernard Lagat, Christian Taylor, Jessee Williams And Ashton Eaton Lead US Team
- Ciarán Ó Lionaird And Derval O’Rourke Lead Irish Team
- Valerie Adams Looking Forward To Indoor SP Test "It's the don't F with me look. I just go in there thinking about one thing and that's smacking the crap out of it and being focused on how much I can throw and putting pressure on the other throwers."
- IAAF 3k Preview Bernard Lagat will defend his title against Mo Farah and 7:29 runners Augustine Choge and Edwin Soi.
Other Stuff This Weekend
- USA 15k Champs Fields Mo Trafeh is running. Distancepreps.com talked to him here.
- Team USA Minnesota Runners Preview US 15k Champs Tomorrow *Race Site
- Brett Larner Previews Nagoya Women's Marathon; The Last Japanese Olympic Selection Race You can watch live at 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, Mar. 11 (Japan time).
- Silver Cup Awarded To First Olympic Marathon Champ In 1896 To Be Auctioned Off Estimated at $190,000 to $250,000.
- March 18th: A Look At Kenya's Team For African Cross-Country Champs World Jr. Champ Chepng'etich: The Ethiopians know what we are capable of doing and they should be ready for a more lethal dose than the one I gave them in Spain."
- April 15: Jen Rhines To Run More Magazine/Fitness Magazine Women's Half Marathon In Central Park
Two-Time Boston Winner Moses Tanui Speaks Out Against Kenya Olympic Trials Being Held In Oregon "Is like staging national holiday celebrations in a foreign land."
- Previous World Indoor News:
- 25-Year-Old Dayron Robles Says He May Retire After London 2012 Due To A Recurring Leg Injury "At the last competition, I was practically race walking because I couldn't do anything."
- Ashton Eaton Will Go After His Own Heptathlon WR He recently ran a 1:52 800 in a time trial where he was paced by Russell Brown.
- Dwain Chambers Set To Defend His 60m Title Against Jamaicans Lerone Clarke And Nesta Carter Chambers' agent talking about BOA ban: "Redemption is recognised in every walk of life: the family, religion, law and politics. It is an integral foundation at the heart of the makeup of any democratic society. It is not recognised in dictatorships, Greek mythology and the British Olympic Association bylaw."
- USATF On US Team: Brittney Reese Sanya Richards-Ross Favorites To Win Gold
- After Recent WR Vault, Yelena Isinbayeva Favorite Over US's Jenn Suhr And UK's Holly Bleasdale
*Isinbayeva: "I Was Close To Quitting"
- Prize Money Breakdown: $2.5 Million Up For Grabs
- Mo Farah And Jessica Ennis Lead GB Team
- IAAF Women's Preview
- IAAF Men's Preview
- AP Preview
The Fast Guys Of The LRC Puma Faas Challenge (Our Apologies For Disrespecting The Always Disrespected David McNeill)
LRC The Fastest Puma Faas Winners - Mark Wieczorek, David McNeill And Ricky Flynn LetsRun.com is made up of the most passionate and fastest runners on the planet. The three guys above entered the Puma Faas Challenge just like you even though they are total studs. Mark is a 1:46.00
runner, David a two-time NCAA 5,000m champion and an Australian national champion, and Ricky was a breakthough performer at the Olympic Trials Marathon. Read all about them. Thanks to Ricky's run at the Trials, he may be getting a sponsor soon, so he's giving his shoes to his roommate.
Previous: Get Inspired With The Final 20+ Winners In The Puma Faas Challenge A guy with incurable cancer who wants to run 16-minute miles, a guy who want to break 4 despite getting hit by a car going 35mph, a woman who has a 5-year running streak going that includes two pregnancies, much more.
CAS Case On BOA Bylaw To Start Monday Sports lawyer who helped LeShawn Merrit overturn his Olympic ban predicts BOA will lose.
Previous World Indoor News
Kenya Enters Largest World Indoor Squad Ever - Coach Says All 9 Can Medal
*Jelimo's Agent Says Watch Out - She's Hungry Again "After sitting out and seeing her career degenerate she has found the hunger to win again. It was all in her eyes, even though she did not win in Lievin on Tuesday, you could see that she gave it all. A clear sign that she is back in the frame to compete. I tell you she will be in her best form when we head to May."
*A Look At The Ethiopian Women's Chances Genzebe Dibaba and Meseret Defar are the favorites at 1,500 and 3k as Defar goes for a record 5th straight gold.
*Preview Of Men's Distances From Ethiopian Perspectve - Ethiopian Team Lacking
Sprint News: Veronica Campbell-Brown Declares, "I'm ready!"
*Veronica Campbell-Brown Running World Indoors, Has Linsanity
*Dayron Robles Hurts Back, Pulls Out Of World Indoors Nothing too serious, a pulled muscle of some sort and says he should resume training next week.
Craig Mottram Says He'll Have To Go Sub-13 To Make World Indoor 5,000 Final We're not sure if the author was sloppy or what, but there is no 5,000m at World Indoors. Mottram will have to run the 3,000m.
Final Japanese Selection Race - 2012 Lake Biwa Marathon *Photos
Kenya's Samuel Ndungu Debuts With 2:07:04 For The Win as Japan's Ryo Yamamoto Has Huge 3+ Minute PR To Grab Olympic Spot Henryk Szost got the Polish NR with 2:07:39 and Ryo Yamamoto was the first Japanese in 2:08:44. The Japanese had 2 sub-2:09s, 5 sub-2:10s, and 7 at sub-2:10:06 in this race.
- IAAF Lake Biwa Recap - Japanese Olympic Spot Decided On Track In the last 5km, 3 different people possessed the all-important "first Japanese" title and Ryo Yamamoto didn't pass Hiroyuki Horibata (7th at 2011 WCs) until they were on the track in the stadium. "I was just chasing and chasing," Yamamoto said. "I was not ready to run with the leaders when the real racing started at 25Km, so I decided to run my race and was just hoping that the leaders would come back to me. When I was getting closer (to the Japanese in front of me) I kept on chanting 'Olympics, Olympics' in my heart and kept on pushing."
Dreams Don't Become Reality?
LRC Haile Gebrselassie Tweets "My Olympic Marathon Dream Is Over" And Ethiopia Announces A Preliminary Olympic Marathon Team Missing A Few Stars Geb's tweet is big news as we'd like to see him make one final attempt to compete in the Olympics. Just as big news
may be that neither Gebre Gebremariam, Tsegaye Kebede nor Fiyesa Lilesa
were on the preliminary
team. Their men's team is the top 4 Ethiopians from Dubai.
More Geb: Associated Press Column: Should Gebrselassie Say Goodbye? His agent seems to think so.
- Ethiopian OG Marathon Selection
- HAILE FROM TWITTER - "It looks like my Olympic Marathon dream is over."
Andrews Going Pro?!
LRC Robby Andrews Leaves UVA Track Team LetsRun.com has learned that the two-time NCAA champ's incredible NCAA career at the University of Virginia has come to an
end. What a career
it was - bookended
NCAA titles. It started with an epic .01 win over
Andrew Wheating and ended with an epic 1:44.71 - .04 win over Charles Jock. Andrews has not officially gone pro, but that seems to be the likely next step.
*Humorous: Robby Andrews Career Decision Flowchart
MB: Robby Andrews No Longer Running for UVA *Is There Any Chance Robby Andrews Transfers? *Robby Andrews to Oregon Project?
Tokyo Marathon *Top Tokyo/Geb Results *Updated LRC Tokyo Photos
LRC Geb Goes For It ... Fades To 2:08:17 4th Well-paced, good weather, perfectly positioned, Haile G had the lead and a gap on the field at 36k but surprisingly faded and was passed
one-by-one until he was off the
podium in the final kilometer. It was a strange marathon, as both Geb and last year's defending champ Hailu Mekonnen, who were the two leaders, both faded after surging ahead. Michael Kipyego (2:07:37) brother of women's star Sally Kipyego, took the win while Arata Fujiwara stamped his ticket to London with a 2:07:48 PR. 38 y/o Geb complained of back pain afterwards. Geb is now known for his post-race excuses, but for once we tend to believe him (he also dropped a water bottle
35k and stopped to get it before not picking it up - wonder if that affected his back).
*LRC OFFICIAL Tokyo Marathon Haile Geb Thread
*Brett Larner's JRN Race Recap
*Haile Says "I could run another marathon in two weeks."
*LRC Favorite Yuki Kawauchi Disappointed With 14th Place/2:12:51 Showing Kawauchi: "If you're not good enough to be internationally competitive then you don't need to go to the Olympics. I tried, and it's over. Selection is based on results, and I do not think I will be picked."
*Tokyo Photo Gallery
Birmingham - Aviva Indoor Grand Prix *Results
Top Indoor Meet Of Year
Eliud Kipchoge 8:07.4 2-Mile Defeats Mo Farah This was a tremendous race with 4 guys, Kipchoge and Farah plus Uganda's Moses Kipsiro and Tariku Bekele, battling on the final lap. Kipchoge, the 2003 World 5,000m champ, got the win and World Leader. If you think this makes him the best Kenyan right now, think again. Kipchoge was 4th in the 3,000m in Germany last weekend. In other action, Genzebe Dibaba blasted another fast 1,500 (4:01, Anna Pierce 4:11), Liu Xiang ran a PR to beat Dayron Robles, Jamaica's 8th-fastest 100m man last year, Lerone Clarke, ran a national record in the 60 ahead of Asafa Powell, Meseret Defar ran 8:31.56, Jessica Ennis had 2 PRs and a world best in the hurdles, and Bernard Lagat was well beaten at 1,500m. 8,000 fans in attendance. This is what track and field needs.
2012 RAK Half Is In The Books *Photo Gallery Of Winners *Top Results
LRC Mary Keitany & 17-Year-Old Dennis Koech Win 2012 RAK Half Marathon Windy conditions slowed down the winning times considerably (60:34 and 66:42), but Mary Keitany did still produce the 8th-fastest 13.1 in women's history as a 17-year-old Kenyan dispatched the 2012 world leader and a 2:03 marathoner in the men's race.
*IAAF Recap Geoffrey Mutai Withdraws With Sore Foot And Then Fast Times Are Blown Off Course The IAAF is saying that Koech is 18.
*Pre-Race Photos *Race Previews
Recommended Read: The Telegraph's Ian Chadband Catches Up With Yohan Blake After His 2012 Season Opener - Blake Still Plays Cricket Every Sunday With Glen Mills' Blessing Can anyone in America imagine a college coach letting a sprint star play pickup games on the weekend? Yet Blake, who comes from a tough background, is super-fast. "I wasn't born with a golden spoon in my mouth; it was a really tough life. So many times, we had no money to even get to school. I'd have to find empty beer bottles to sell and spent hours carrying water on my head because we had no water at home. It gave me strength which helps me today."
USATF Classic *Results *Photo Gallery
LRC Galen Rupp's American 2-Mile Record Is Highlight Among 5 World Leaders Pre-race, we pondered if this was the best men's indoor mile in the US since LetsRun.com was founded and it lived up to the hype, as Silas Kiplagat edged Caleb Ndiku in a world-leading time, but it was Galen Rupp, running to honor the late Geoff Hollister, who stole the show with an impressive American record at 2 miles. In other action, Brenda Martinez took on some of the world's best in the mile, Jamaica's 8th best sprinter beat all the Americans, and Tianna Madison (a long jump world champion most of you have forgotten) shocked VCB and Allyson Felix in the 60m.
USATF XC *XC Results *Men's Photos *Women's Photos
Molly Huddle Celebrates Too Soon, Sara Hall Wins XC On Lean, Bobby Mack Beats Aaron Braun Great races in the chill of St. Louis, as Molly Huddle and Sara Hall battled to the line. Huddle put up her hands thinking she won, but Hall leaned and got the win. Photos here. On the men's side, Mack pulled away from Braun the final 600m. More coverage here. Photo finish photo here.
London Marathon Goes To Iten
Virgin London Marathon, Which Made 2012 Athlete Announcements In Kenya, Is Giving Back To Iten, Eldoret Communities
LRC Photo Of The Day: Virgin London Marathon Fields Announced From Iten, Kenya We didn't realize London was in Iten to announce its 2012 fields. Very cool.
Bring Back The Mile Officially Launches For years, we (and many in the sport) have wondered why the mile isn't the #1 distance event in the land and why it's not run instead of the 1,500 or 1,600. Finally, someone has decided to do something about it.
*Bringing Buzz Back To The Mile *Discuss *Like On Facebook
US Men's Olympic Trials Marathon News *LRC Vote Totals *Men's Results *Women's Results *Mile-By-Mile Splits *Yahoo Flash Photos
Marathon Trials Analysis And Reaction The 2012 Trials race was a classic. We throw some love to the top 3, ponder Ritz's future in the marathon, tell you who had the best debut, and tell you who that guy you never heard of was. Plus we talk about Meb's 74-year-old badass dad and look at the fortune of some old timers who didn't make the team, Josh Cox and Dan Browne, in addition to the ones who did (Meb and Abdi).
Race Recap: Meb Keflezighi Captures 2012 Olympic Trials Marathon Title
NY Times Recap: Meb Over Hall, Abdi Grabs 3rd Spot The race lived up to the billing as the top four all broke 2:10, whereas previously there had only been one sub-2:10 in OTM history. After a blistering first half (63:25), Meb Keflezighi got his 2nd PR in 69 days, as he ran 2:09:08 to win over Hall (2:09:30). A resurgent Abdirahman (2:09:47) hung on for the final Olympic spot in 2:09:47 over Ritzenhein, who broke 2:10:00 for the first time (2:09:55). In the process, Meb became the first American to make an Olympic marathon team 8 years after making it previously. Abdi had no idea until we talked to him that Martin Fagan, whom he trained with some this winter, had reportedly tested positive for EPO.
LRC Trials Live Thread Here
Trials On The Boards:
2011 ING NYC Marathon *Men's Results *Women's Results *Viewing Info *Flash Yahoo Photos
LRC 2:05:06!!! Geoffrey Mutai Caps Year In Style An unbelievable year in men's marathoning had an appropriate finish, as the Kenyan man who had the most unbelievable of all years, Geoffrey Mutai, smashed the previous NYC Marathon record by a stunning 2:38 - that's two minutes and 38 seconds. If it wasn't the
greatest 2nd-greatest men's marathon performance
ever, you'll have to tell us what was. American Meb Keflezighi hung with the leaders for 20 miles after a blistering 63:16 1st half and ended up with a much-deserved PR. Mutai picked up $200,000 by winning, but the big financial winner was runner-up Emmanuel Mutai, who won $635,000 ($500,000 for the WMM title).
LRC Mary Keitany Beats Herself The women's race was full of gut-wrenching drama, as Mary Keitany went out in a crazy 67:56. The problem was she came back in 74:42, as unheralded Firehiwot Dado (Rome Marathon champ) got the win.
LRC Post-Race Interviews: Meb And His Coach Bob Larsen Talks About His PR Despite Throwing Up Plus the winners - Geoffrey Mutai, Firehiwot Dado, men's and women's top 3, Ed Moran, Molly Pritz, Lauren Fleshman and Bobby Curtis.
2012 NCAAs *Live Stream: Here. (More Info Here) *Schedule/Results
LRC 5,000s: Chris Derrick Puts Up A Brave Fight In 5,000m As Lawi Lalang Wins The Title, Betsy Saina Holds Off Deborah Maier Chris Derrick may not have won the men's 5,000m on Friday night but he earned a lot
of people's respect with the way he challenged the fastest-ever 5,000m runner in the NCAAs, Lawi Lalang. In the end, Lalang had too much the final 200. On the women's side, Betsy Saina got her first NCAA title despite a tough challenge from Deborah Maier.
OTB: Chris Derrick... WHAT A RUN!!!!!! *CMON DERICK, DO IT FOR AMERICA!!! *Debbie Maier is Rockin it!
LRC DMRs: Notre Dame Surprises And Katie Flood Lives Up To The Hype To Get Washington The Title Notre Dame's Jeremy Rae holds off IU's Andy Bayer and BYU's Miles Batty to get the win. Katie Flood runs fastest women's mile of the day to get Washington the win over Oregon, Dartmouth, and Georgetown.
LRC Mile And 800m Prelim Recaps All the big favorites through, but a couple of surprises.
OTB: Fall In Heat 2 Of Men's Mile *Cas Loxsom is a CHOKE ARTIST
LRC NCAA Men's Preview: Can Anyone Stop Lalang? Who Wins The DMR? Can Miles Batty Hold Up As The Favorite In The Mile? What Happened To The 800? The NCAA meet is where champions are made. Who will step up this year? Things get kicked off tomorrow with the great DMR and men's 5,000m, where 4 guys with Olympic "A" qualifiers will battle. We preview all the distance action in Idaho and the team battle.
LRC NCAA Women's Preview: Will Hasay Have The Same Magic She Had Last Year Or Will A New Star Like Emily Infeld Or Katie Flood Arrive? Who Wins The Loaded 3,000? Can Lucy Van Dalen Hold Up As The Favorite In The Mile? Last year, Jordan Hasay used the NCAA meet to bcome a collegiate legend. Will a new one arrive in 2012?
- Only LSU Standing In The Way Of Oregon Women Getting The 3-Peat At NCAAs
- After Missing Indoor Nats Last 2 Years, Oregon's Alex Kosinski Is Hoping To Finally Contribute To An Indoor NCAA Title Vin Lananna: "The thing about Alex is, she is so conscientious - every mile, every whirlpool, every stretch, every pair of shoes, every little detail, everything there could be, she takes care of them."
- Oregon Men MIA At NCAA Indoor Champs Only 3 entered: Trevor Dunbar in the 3k, Mike Berry in the 400m, Parker Stinson in the 5k.
- Good Article: Laura Carlyle Will Be The First Ever To Represent OSU At Indoor NCAAs She's in the mile.
- Coming Back For 5th Year, Oregon's Brianne Theisen Is The Favorite To Defend Her Pentathlon Title
- Oregonian: On paper, Oregon wins the NCAA women's indoor title again, but there is no margin for error
- Lawi Lalang Is Marked Man, But Will It Even Matter As He's So Dominant? "On a rainy night in Seattle, Arizona sophomore Lawi Lalang was among 17 distance runners squeezed behind the starting line in a race so obscure that it was captured on video only by Flotrack.org." That's how our sport is perceived by non track fans. TV matters.
IAAF Releases Members Of Inaugural Hall Of Fame * Website
- Tough Standards For Inaugural IAAF Hall Of Fame Athletes need to have won at least two Olympic or World Championships gold medals and set at least one WR. Ridiculous.
- IAAF HOF Members Section Go here to read bios on first 12 members. 12 more will be added this year.
- Amby Burfoot: "Love the New IAAF Hall of Fame Idea. Hate the Entry Requirements" He points out that the standards keep out great runners like Joan Benoit Samuelson, Frank Shorter, Roger Bannister, and even Paula Radcliffe unless she wins gold in London.
- Five Americans Named To Inaugural IAAF Hall Of Fame Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Carl Lewis, Edwin Moses, Al Oerter and Jesse Owens among the initial 12 members.
- A Rundown Of Initial 12 In additon to the Americans, includes Abebe Bikila, Paavo Nurmi, Emil Zatopek, Adhemar da Silva, Fanny Blankers-Koen, Betty Cuthbert and Wang Junxia.
- TrackFocus: Why Was Suspected Drug Cheat Wang Junxia Elected To IAAF Hall Of Fame? "I strongly disagree with their decision. When you're thinking with your pocketbook or have your head completely in the sand, I can see how the IAAF might have come to this choice."
- Joe Battaglia: "Wang Junxia's nomination to IAAF Hall of Fame a cruel joke" "There is never a second chance to make a first impression. It's a shame that this inaugural IAAF Hall of Fame induction will be punctuated with a question mark."
NYC Half Is Next Weekend *Full Elite Field
- Janet Cherobon-Bawcom: How Hitchhiking A Ride From Peter Rono Led To A Pro Running Career
- Brief Chat: Julie Culley, Who Will Run Her Debut Half Marathon At NYC Half She's ran on multiple World Championships teams and has a 15:21 5k PR.
- NYRR Debate: A Half Marathon In The Olympics?
- Bobby Curtis, Ben St. Lawrence, Collis Birmingham, And UK's Chris Thompson Added To NYC Half
- Good Interview With Dathan Ritzenhein Ahead Of NYC Half On the marathon trials he said, "Even with 200 meters to go, I really was still thinking that (I could get him) ...The distance was shrinking so fast that I didn't really ever give up hope until after the finish line."
Ryan Hall Interview On His Recent MRI: Says It Confirmed His Foot Issues Are Plantar Fasciitis Says it's improving and hasn't hindered his training. *MB Thread
Aussie Olympic Team
- Ben St Lawrence Blogs On Being Selected For Aussie Olympic Team In The 10k Talks about his subdued celebration after getting the 10k NR last year, comparing it to his "former party-boy days when I would have celebrated winning a game of Mario Kart with a streak through campus and a week-long bender."
- Ryan Gregson Blogs On His 1,500m Win Last Weekend On his post race dance: "I'll admit that I didn't nail it properly as I had too much lactic in my legs ... hopefully it will act as a subtle audition tape for Dancing With The Stars."
- Athletics Australia Adds Seventeen To Olympic Nomination List
News From Jamaica
- Prince Harry False Starts In Run With Bolt, Does Bolt Pose, Tells Jamaican Athletes Not To Come To America
- Yohan Blake To Race Sparingly Leading Up To Olympics
- After Great Winter Training, Yohan Blake Is Dreaming Of Upstaging Usain Bolt And Winning 4 Golds Himself Both Jamaicans are dreaming of 4 golds, but Blake has been hot in training, whereas Bolt is MIA. Blake: "My 4 x 400m training is going really well. I've been really encouraged by my performances."
Fashion Blogger Declares 5 Of 6 Hottest Female Athletes In World Are Track Athletes He uses some retired ones like Amy Acuff.
Olympic Hopeful In The News
After Losing Lottery Funding, British HJer Robbie Grabarz Was Willing To Make An Olympic "Sacrifice" And Live Off His Credit Card "You're prepared to make any sacrifice possible. I had a credit card I was happy to live off until the games," said Grabarz who probably won't need it now that he's gone 2.34 indoors.
Bring Back The Mile Getting More News
Bring Back The Mile: Ritz Still Wants A Sub-4 Mile Ritz reveals that he NEVER has run a mile in his life. Shocking. The 1,600m should be abolished. We can see some rationale people have for running 1,500 but none for 1,600m. And Meb Keflezighi also does not have a sub-4 mile.
Leo Manzano Brief Chat: Bring Back The Mile, Winning USAs, The Manzano Mile And More He's running his own Manzano mile later this month. We wish Nike icentivized him to run World Indoors, but London is what matters.
Random But Interesting Links
- College Runners, We're Sure You'll Ignore This Link
4 Reasons Why Drinking Booze Makes You A Worse Runner 1. Slows recovery 2. Makes you fat 3. Disrupts your sleep 4. Depletes water and nutrients
- Kiwi Race Horse Jockey Is Hoping To Make Olympics In Marathon
- Cowtown Marathon "Winner" Who Was DQed For Using Friend's Bib Explains Himself
*MB: Cowtown Marathon Winner DQ'd
- 70-Year-Old Japanese Man Qualified For Olympics In equestrian, not marathoning. We do have one question - how old is the horse?
- 60-Year-Old Woman Kathy Martin Tells How She Ran US Record Of 3:10 In Marathon
- A woman is in hospital with serious head injuries after being hit by a competitor's bike at the Abu Dhabi International Triathlon
Aussie Olympic Trials/Melbourne Track Classic Was Friday/Saturday *Results *Gregson's Finish Line Dance
Day 2: Mottram Is Back, Wins 5k; Rudisha Cruises In 800 (Symmonds Struggles), Pearson Impresses Craig Mottram ran away from Collis Birmingham to win the 5,000m in 13:18, David Rudisha crushed the 800m field to win in 1:44 (Nick Symmonds ran 1:48), and world hurdles champ Sally Pearson got a PR in the 200m and her fourth-best
time in the 100m hurdles. Ben True (13:26) and Will Leer ran in the 5km. More From IAAF
*Australian High Performance Manager Is Full Of praise For Mottram "What he did in the race against Collis was tantamount to Mottram re-establishing himself in our psyche that he is the No.1 man over 5,000m. And once he has that confidence behind him, we then know with the right training and the right progress he's one of the rare distance athletes that can shake it up with the Africans."
*2-Time world champion at 400h, Jana Pittman, will start running on Monday but is quickly running out of time to qualify for London 2012
*17-Year-Old Aussie Liz Parnov Likely To Be On Olympic Team
*Sally Pearson After Winning 100m Hurdles In 12.49 Seconds: "Holy crap! I know I can't swear, what can I say? It's really fantastic." *AP Article
*Runner's Tribe Recap
On The Boards: *Symmonds ran 1:48 in Melbourne, Sure, it's March Nick, not August!
*Mottram wins 5000m
Day 1: Ryan Gregson Wins And Does A Dance As Kiprop Falters For 3rd Year In A Row - Torrence 2nd, Willis Third On a windy day, Asbel Kiprop had the lead in the middle but faded to 5th (3:42.52) as Aussie record holder Ryan Gregson got the win (3:38.51) to prove he's at least temporarily over last year's injury problems. He was followed by Torrence (3:39.32), Willis (3:39.77), Riseley and Kiprop. Kiprop: "I don't know exactly what happened. It was not my day today ... I did 10 seconds slower than what I was expecting. It doesn't disappoint me at all."
*AP: Pearson Wins, Frayne Gets TJ Qualifier
IAAF Recap Afterwards, Gregson did a dance at the finish (video embedded to your right or here). Was it because of this tweet?
OTB: Gregson is back!!! (def. Kiprop, etc)
*Gregson's Finishline Dance
A Current & Future Marathoner In The News
Meet The Triathlon Coach Who Taught Ryan Hall He Needed To Recover More No, the name of "Mr. Recovery" isn't God - it's Matt Dixon. Dixon seems to be a smart guy who had one triathlete cut his "volume by 30
easier workouts and had
him eat more." We'd say that would help 90% of all distance runners if only instead of cutting their volume by 30%, they increased it by 30%.
"Our goal is not to train as hard as we can, but to perform well."
Salazar Says "Mea Culpa" And Takes Blame For Aggressive Race Plan That Blew Up And Cost Galen Rupp 3k Spot In Albuquerque They knew sitting and kicking would result in a Lagat slaughter, so they tried to take it out hard but they underestimated Lopez Lomong. "(Lomong's) always been a great runner," Salazar said. "We totally respect him. But he hadn't run a distance race in a while. We underestimated what he could do. It was a mistake."
USATF Indoors *Results *LRC Day 1 Photo Gallery *LRC Day 2 Photo Gallery *Race Videos
Sunday: LRC Manzano Outkicks Centrowitz And Rupp To Win 1,500, Simpson Holds Off Martinez (Updated) Two weeks ago, Manzano ran 3:57 in his opener but was last place
in a super-stacked mile in Arkansas. In the women's 1,500m, Jenny Simpson edged Brenda Martinez, showing Martinez is the real deal (Martinez had by FAR the best finish as she got boxed and was 6-7 meters back with 100m to go and barely lost), and Sanya Richards-Ross ran a 50.71 meet record. Chaunte Lowe set an American record in the women's high jump, showing she is more than back from maternity leave. Distance recaps, results, and videos with winners.
*Ashton Eaton Wins LJ With A New PR
On The Boards: Manzano outkicks Centrowitz and Rupp!
Really, what happened Rupp in the last two laps tonight?
LRC USATF Indoor Men's 3k: Lagat, Lomong Crush Rupp (Updated w/ video interviews) Galen Rupp pushed the pace early, hoping his 12th attempt at beating powerhouse Lagat would be the charm, but was badly dropped before the bell, unable to challenge Lagat, who then crushed Lopez Lomong with a 25-second last lap. On to Worlds for Lagat, where he may be the favorite to defend his title. Like Lagat, Jenny Simpson ran away with the women's 3,000m title. Find out why she won't be running in Istanbul.
*IAAF Recap Day 1 Will Claye jumped 17.63m in the TJ for the furthest mark by an American in 23 years.
*Jennifer Suhr Overcomes Aching Achilles To Win PV At US Champs She only had to clear two heights and then made 3 attempts to break her own AR, but missed.
*Results *LRC Official USA Indoor TNF Champs ABQ Thread
*Lagat: "I just wanted to show these guys that Daddy can still kick." RRW Recap
Stockholm - *Results *Video Of PV WR *More Yahoo Photos Of Record
World Record For Yelena Isinbayeva (Updated) In case you wondered, Yelena Isinbayeva is fully back as she went 5.01 for the world record. Asked whether anyone could beat her this year, she said, "I think you can answer that question yourself," in reference to her 29cm winning margin. Isiah Koech won the 3k over Dejen Gebremeskel, Caleb Ndiku
man from earlier this year Augustine Choge. Morgan Uceny ran 4:08 to get a close 3rd in the 1,500m as Anna Pierce struggled again.
*Dayron Robles Wins Stockholm 60m Hurdles As Liu Xiang Is DQed For A False Start
*"Yelena Isinbayeva Is At Her Best When Challenged"
A Definite Recommended Read & Discuss
Sports Illustrated & Tim Layden Profile Mo Farah & Galen Rupp: A Bond Born At Speed The two training partners clearly will have vastly different amounts of pressure on them at the London Games and it's clear that Rupp is happy to not be in the spotlight: "I don't envy Mo. He's going to have a bunch of people cheering for him, but all that stress. It's nice sometimes to just train and not have all that external stuff."
MB: Rupp 10.9 and Farah 11.3 for the 100m *Do you believe the rest of the SI article about Rupp & Farah? 8 x 1200 at 4,551 Ft Altitude in 3:09/2min rest? *Alberto Salazar's coaching pre-Galen Rupp *Does Rupp have any realistic chance of beating Lagat this weekend?
Sydney Track Classic *Results
Kiprop 1:45.9, Rudisha 45.61, David Torrence 3:35.6 Wins The Australian season got underway in full force with the two best mid-distance runners, Olympic and World 1,500m champ Asbel Kiprop and World 800m champ David Rudisha, both dropping down in distance. Rudisha ran 45.61 at 400, while Kiprop got the 800m win in 1:45.9. Kiprop dropping down let American David Torrence win the 1,500 in 3:35.6. World hurdles champ Sally Pearson did the hurdles/200m double. Nick Symmonds did not have his kick and was a well-beaten 6th in 1:47.44, which is a pretty good opener.
Meb, Ritz, Kara And Desi To Run 2012 NYC Half Also sponsorless man Scott Bauhs will run as will a bunch of other Americans, including 2009 WChamps 5,000 team member Julie Culley in her
*Transcript Of Meb, Bob Larsen & Mary Wittenberg Teleconference (Word document) Meb reveals that his wife ran a 5k in 26:05, officially eliminating their children as #1 prospects for the class of 2030.
*Denver Post Catches Up With Ritz, Who Is Excited To Get Back To The Track - Ritz: "I still think I'm one of the best runners in the world."
*Ritz Blogs About His Recent Training: "I got out my spikes for the first time in two and a half years."
2012 Millrose Games *Results *Lagat, Wanamaker Mile Video
- LRC: Lagat Smashes American Record, Collegiate Record Books Rewritten Bernard Lagat ran 13:07.15 and smashed Galen Rupp's American indoor record, but the most impressive achievements may have been the rewriting of the collegiate record books. Lawi Lalang (13:08) not only obliterated the old indoor record but he ran faster than Henry Rono's nearly 34-year-old outdoor record. Chris Derrick got beaten badly but becomes the 5th-fastest collegian in the US indoors or outdoors. In the Wanamaker mile, Matt Centrowitz reminded us why he won the bronze medal at Worlds and Miles Batty broke the collegiate record.
LRC Hello World, Meet Ayele Abshero (2:04:23 Debut!) The 21-year-old former Jr. World XC champ's marathon debut was super-special, as his surge with just over 3km remaining decimated
marathon field in history, as four
men broke 2:05 in the race, eight broke 2:06, 10 broke 2:07, and 17 broke 2:10 - all records as fastest-ever times for places were recorded in spots three through
17. 2011 belonged to the Kenyan men, will 2012 belong to Ethiopia? The women's race was super-fast and super-deep as well, as 3 women broke 2:20 in the same race for the 1st time, as Aselefech Mergia ran 2:19:31 to win and a record 9 women broken 2:25. Martin Lel was a DNF, Ramaala 2:12. *AP
*Butcher: Ethiopians Strike Back
*MB: 4 guys I've never heard of go sub 2:05 in Dubai
US Women's Olympic Trials Marathon News *LRC Vote Totals *Men's Results *Women's Results *Yahoo Flash Photos
Flanagan Over Davila, Goucher Gets Third As Top 4 All Break Old OTrials Record Flanagan (2:25:38) pulled away from Davila (2:25:55) and Goucher was third in 2:26:06. Amy Hastings broke the old Trials record at 2:27:17 but didn't make the team. Deena Kastor was 6th in 2:30:40.
- New: Amy Hastings Reacts To Fourth Place Finish Obviously disappointed, but a good run for Amy.
- Post-Race Reaction None of the four former Olympic marathoners in the race made the team. Hear from the top 3 and them.
- Women's Results
- Goucher: "I never imagined myself winning this race based on the short period of time I had to train." Oregonian
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was: Melbourne Track Classic & Ryan Gregson & Nick Symmonds, The Sub-4 Guys Not Going To NCAAs, Japanese Marathoners Vs. US, And We Defend LaShawn Merritt We span the globe to tell you what's going on in the world of running. We look at the action in Australia and talk about Nick Symmonds and the young 1,500m crop, including Gregson, Asbel Kiprop, Silas Kiplagat and Matt Centrowitz. We compare Japanese marathoning depth to American and once and for all tell you in a LetsRun.com first why LaShawn Merritt is not a drug cheat. Plus what program may have the best 800m runners in America? Update: 3/8/2012: NCAA chart numbers now fixed:
New Balance HS Nationals Are Also This Weekend *MileSplit Coverage
*DyeStat NBIN Preview: Races To Watch
*Start Lists Edward Cheserek listed in the mile, 2 mile, SMR, and DMR.
*NBIN Preview: Girls 5k
*NBIN Who To Watch: Boys Distance
*17-8 Outdoor PV For HSer Shawn Barber (#11 All-Time)
Prince Harry Over Usain Bolt
Can You Do The Gregson? Ryan Gregon's Dance After Winning 1,500m In Melbourne (We Know He Loves Whitney Houston)
The Votes Are In ... Final Puma Faas Winners
LRC The Amazing People Who Are The Final Winners Of The LRC Puma Faas Challenge The final winners in the LRC Puma Faas Challenge whom you helped us select are simply amazing. We've got Olympic Trials runners, a guy with incurable cancer who just
wants to run 16-minute miles, a guy who hit by car going 35mph while running and still wants to break 4:00 in the mile, Nick Symmonds' college teammate, a guy who has run 50,000
miles and never run in Pumas, a 69-year-old who won marathons in the '60s, '70s, and '80s and made
the 1980 Olympic Marathon Trials, a former LetsRun.com cult hero, and a woman who has a 5-year running streak going that includes two pregnancies and two births.
Crazy Unbelievable people. Puma wanted to prove its Faas line is for hard-core runners and what better way to do it than give away 100 pairs of shoes to put to the test.
The Weekly Review
LRC Week That Was: USA Indoors, Your Top 50 Hopefuls For The Olympic Trials, Geb, Geb And Geb, Kawauchi, Peter Rono's Son, And Some New 800m Talent We span the globe to give you insight into the running world. If you want to know what is going on, click through. If you want to be uninformed, don't. Plus learn about the proprietor of Johnsonrunning.com.
Abel Kirui Victory Dance - Barcelona Half Marathon
Day 2 USATF Indoor Photos (Tokyo Marathon Photos Here)
Day 1 USATF Indoor Photos
San Diego Tribune On Eamonn Coghlan's World Record In Indoor Mile 31 Years Ago We can give this the attention it deserves after this weekend's action.
Spend 10 Minutes To Get To Know The World's Best(?) Marathoner Patrick Makau (Also Has Footage Of Him Training In Kenya)
Race Of The Week: Kipchoge Outkicks Farah In 2-Mile (Final 500 Or Full Race)
LetsRun.com Track Talk Live From Kenya: Friday's Live Show Is Now Available On Demand In The Player Below (Or Download It Here)
Rupp's 2-Mile American Record From Arkansas (Last 2:20 Or The Full Race)
Final 400 (Or Full Race) Of Lagat's American Record (Wanamaker Mile Video Here)
Photo Gallery: Rupp Makes History (Interview Below Or Here)
USA XC Photo Galleries *Women Here *Men Here
Trailer For "ITEN - The Town Of RED Dust"
NCAA Women's Photo Gallery
NCAA Men's Photo Gallery (500+ Photos)
Training Corner (More In The Training Forum)
Universal Sports Back To Top