NY Times Asks: How Long Does It Really (Scientifically) Take To Recover From A Marathon? We like how the auther, Gina Kolata, slyly brags she qualified for Boston with a half-hour to spare. We know understands why she quotes LRC in her articles at times - she's fast.
Another Big Doping Scandal?
- Spanish Police Secretly Arrested 10 People 2 Months Ago In International Doping Ring That Is Linked To Positive At Beijing Games The arrests were hidden presumably so authorities could try to catch others as the group is responsible for positives also at the 2010 Vuelta a Espana, the 2009 Volta a Portugal and the 2010 Spanish athletics championships. The article says the mastermind is only known as "Dr. Alberto BN." Think Morocco is full of cheats? Well, "the shop is also alleged to have delivered EPO to two Moroccan brothers in Madrid who administered doping substances to cyclists."
- Alberto BN Is IDed As Former Liberty Seguros Dr. Alberto Beltran Nino
- Interesting Read: WSJ India Asks: Should Poor Countries Face the Same Doping Bar in Sports? We think the headline is ridiculous but actually agree 100% with the decision to overturn the ban on the India 4 x 400 team so they can be eligible for the Olympics. They were inadvertently given contaminated ginseng tablets by their coach.
Tuesday's Yellow Pages Series I Event In South Africa *Full Results
South Africans Come Up Short Of "A" Standards South African steepler Ruben Ramolefi won in 8:27.50 in his 1st race since September, Gladwin Mzazi won the 5,000 in 13:24.13, Peter van der Westhuizen won the 1,500 in 3:38.61. 2012 African xc champ Clement Langat, whom some reports said was going to stay in South African to race in the meet, did not start the 5000.
*200,000 South African Rand ($26,000) To Be Split By Anyone Getting "A" Qualifiers
More South African News: Did You Know That Oscar P Has Two Pet White Tigers And He's Shed 37lbs (17kg) In 2.5 Years? Apparently he's loaded as well, as the tigers cost $47,000 each. "If you've got extra weight you've got to justify it. If it's not adding to the power-to-weight ratio, it has to go."
More News From South Of The Equator:
Nick Willis Will Run 5,000, Not 1,500 At This Weekend's NZ Champs "In March we go back to the most basic training you can do and lots of long runs over the hills so that's not really training that would help for the 1,500m much, the 5,000m sort of fits that training better."
Post African XC Champs News
- African XC Champ Clement Langat Is On Top After Nearly Giving Up When He Missed 10 Months After Breaking His Leg Thanks To Kicking Donkey "I can describe the 10 months that I was nursing the injury as "terrible." I almost gave up but there was a strong drive that encouraged me to go on ... I just felt strong as I charged past my rivals to win and it really surprised me. You can only thank God for it, since one day you are on a medical bench and the other one you are holding a gold medal," said Clement, who added that given his strength, he'll now shoot for the 5k in the Olympics, not the 1,500.
- Kenyan XC Team Returns From S. Africa To Rousing Welcome
- Bolt Surfaces To Talk Big To Press, Pushes Injury Fears Down
- Oscar P's Still Not In London
Despite Two Olympic "A"s, South Africans Says Oscar P Must Run Under 45.30 Again After March 31st In An International Meet To Make Olympic Team
- Airlines Warn Of Chaos At London Airports During 2012 Olympics 4 airlines sent a joint letter that says, "As the situation currently stands, the industry believes that there is a significant risk of severe delay and disruption at all of London's major airports unless urgent action is taken."
- UK Tour Operator Has Yet To Sell 90,000 Of Its 300,000 High-End Olympic Packages - May Result In £10 Million Loss The good news is they eventually will put the good tickets out for sale.
- Torch Relay Uniforms Released
- Torch Relay Map (Street By Street) Released
- 2:03:06 Man Moses Mosop Inspects Rotterdam Course & Says "This is the fastest course I have ever seen. If a world record is possible than it is here." The race is April 15th. He'll have his hands full in winning the race with NYC Half champ Peter Kirui there. *MB: ROTTERDAM MARATHON FIELD RELEASED
- Next Up For NYC Half Champs - Rotterdam (Kirui) And Boston (Dado)
- African XC Champ Clement Langat Of Kenya Stays In South Africa - Will Run 5k On Tuesday Many of South Africa's best hope to get the Olympic qualifier with the help of some East Africans. Former Nebraska runner Peter van der Westhuizen is hoping to get the 1,500 "B" qualifier.
*Next Year's African Champs Will Be In Uganda - Kenyans Say Offering Of Prize Money Needs To Be A Priority
- More Than 25,000 Will Line Up On Easter Saturday, April 7 For The Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon. 9,200 of them will run in the ultra. Most are in the 13.1.
- Despite failing to get out of 1st round at worlds in 60m, Jamaica's Lerone Clarke hoping to make Olympic 100m team Good luck. A 9.99 man needs others to get hurt to make it in Jamaica.
- From Last Weekend - The Jerusalem Marathon
15,000 Runners Braved Rain & Wind To Run Jerusalem Marathon On Friday
*Reporter's Notebook: Jerusalem marathon is more than just a race
- Fatuma Sado (2:25:31) Wins LA Marathon & $155,000 With Equalizer Battle Of Sexes Bonus Her 17:31 head start was more than enough to let her beat men's winner Simon Njoroge (2:12:12). We're amazed a 2:06 guy wouldn't run LA and pick up $155k. *AP Recap Of LA Marathon
- LA Times: The Most Hated Man In LA Sports Got One Thing Right - A Frank McCourt Success Story: The L.A. Marathon Chicago Marathon director Carey Pinkowski has kind words: "I admire what they're doing. They're trying to get better each year."
Kenyans Excel Across The Globe
- Replacement Runner - Clement Langat - Wins African XC Men's Individual Title Langat, the 2010 World Cross-Country Championships junior silver medallist, who is based in Japan and was 6th at the Kenyan Trials, only made the team after Bedan Karoki pulled out. *IAAF Recap
- Kenyans Dominate African XC Champs Joyce Chepkurui won the women's title. The Kenyans lost the junior girls team race even though they went 1-2-3 as they didn't finish a full team.
- Langat Had Been Injured For 14 Months
- Running Times: How World Cross Went Off Course
- Seoul: Kenyan Wilson Loyanae Shatters CR (2:05:37) 4 Kenyan men broke 2:07 as Ethiopia's Tadese Feyse (2:23:26) won the women's race. American Serena Burla was third in 2:28:27.
- Rome: Kenyans Win In Rome - 2:08:04 And 2:31:11
- Random Fact: At Least 340 Kenyans Have Olymipc "A" Standard In Marathon
- Italy XC: Thomas Longosiwa & Priscah Jepleting Cherono Win Final IAAF Cross-Country Permit Meeting Of Season
Olympic Bureaucrats In The News
- Olympic organisers hopeful that athletes' village will not be disrupted by non-stop partying.
- London Olympians Will Have 50-50% Chance Of Being Drug Tested
- Unbelievable Gay Pride House For 2014 Winter Games Is Nixed After Local Court Says Idea Of Fighting Homophobia Is Immoral Judge: "The aims contradict the basics of public morality and the policy of the state in the area of family motherhood and childhood protection."
- Jacques Rogge Speaks Out Against "Plastic Brits" Criticizing Those Who Switch Nationalities For Financial Reasons
- Oscar P Runs 45.20, Gets Close To Olympic Selection Mrs. Wejo is pumped.
- Married Jeremy Wariner (With A Kid Coming In October) Opens Season With Wind-Aided 20.66 At TCU Wallace Spearmon ran a wind-aided 10.06. *Results
- Meanwhile: Wariner Rival Jermaine Gonzales Opens at 45.92
Unknown 22-Year-Old Jamaican Warren Weir Runs 20.65 Into 1.1 Headwind
- Usain Bolt To Open Season May 5th At JN Jamaica Invitational With Asafa Powell, Yohan Blake, Kirani James, Carmelita Jeter, Shelly-Ann Fraser A great meet. Blake and Powell or Powell and Bolt will likely have to race each other. More on Bolt here.
Will The Half Marathon WR Go Down In 15 Days?
Leonard Patrick Komon Going For Half Marathon WR At Prague Half On March 31st He is the current road WR holder at 10k and 15k and will be looking to break the 58:23 time set by Zersenay Tadese. Current world leader (59:11) Kenneth Kipkemoi is also in the field.
Haile G Back At It In Vienna Half April 15th
Haile Gebrselassie To Race Against Paula Radcliffe In Vienna City Half Marathon "Chase Race" After the Tokyo marathon, Geb tweeted "My Olympic marathon dream is over" but he's not retired yet, as he will lace them up and try to catch Paula Radcliffe as she gets a head start. *MB: Geb
announces next race, he may not be done just yet ...
*Also April 15th: Kenenisa Bekele Up Against Top Spanish Runners At SPAR Great Ireland 10k Run April 15th Up against defending champ Jesus Espana and Euro XC silver medallist Ayad Lamdassem.
(link fixed) Update: Alan Webb's Excellent Advice To Robby Andrews On Turning Pro "If you really love
it, then it's
worth it. But if you don't love the sport,
then you're going to hate it as your job. It is a job. It's not your college team anymore. You're going to be getting a paycheck for this, so you got to love doing it."
Robby Andrews Turns Pro Last week, LRC broke the news that Andrews was leaving the University of Virginia. Now the 800m star has done what most expected - turn pro. He'll be coached by Jason Vigilante and train with American mile record holder Alan Webb. He has not signed an endorsement deal yet but will be represented by Ray Flynn.
On The Boards: Robby Andrews Turns Pro
World Indoors *Results *Video Highlights For US Visitors *UK Visitors *Yahoo Photos
LRC Men's 3,000m Final Lives Up To The Hype World 5,000m champion Mo Farah squared off with two-time world indoor champion Bernard Lagat and 2012
World leaders Augustine Choge and Edwin Soi of Kenya. Once again, Bernard Lagat was too good. They were all in contention on the final lap. There was some contact, two guys running on the infield, a DQ and a resintatement, but none of that stopped Bernard Lagat from showing he's the best 3,000m runner in the world.
LRC 800s: Pamela Jelimo Is Back As USA's Erica Moore Gets Bronze, 18-Year-Old* Mohamed Aman Gets Gold The last time Pamela Jelimo was any good, Erica Moore wasn't an 800m runner. They both left World Indoors pleased, as Moore made her first sub-2:00 clocking count with a bronze medal. In the men's race, 18-year-old* favorite Mohamed Aman got gold. On the Boards: Erica Moore 800m at Worlds
LRC Hellen Obiri Stuns Four-Time World Champ Defar link fixed Obiri Closes In 4:06.6 For Gold Get used to the name Hellen Obiri. Last year, she ran internationally for the first time and won the Kenyan 1,500m championships. This year, in the fourth 3,000m of her life, she came from behind to stop Meseret Defar from getting her 5th world title.
IAAF Final Day Recap: Brittney Reese Is Incredible, Aries Meritt Upsets Liu Xiang, Will Claye Wins Brittney Reese had her back to the wall in the long jump, so what did she do? Unleash a jump that made her #3 all-time to win.
- Mo Farah A Bit Frazzled After 3,000m And British Media Starts To Hit the Panic Button Relax. If Mo had run 3,000m Worlds last year instead of Europeans, he would have lost then, too. Bernard Lagat knows what he's talking about and says Mo shouldn't worry. Guardian
- Aries Merritt's Upset Of Liu Xiang Guarantees Record Medal Hall For Americans AP 10 Golds for US.
- Brits Get Women's 4 X 400 Gold And Leave Worlds Very Pleased
- Reuters Recap Of Final Day At Worlds
- Teenager Aman's Rise Continues With Ethiopia's First 800m Gold
- Jelimo's And Obiri's Golds Lead Way On Final Day At Worlds For Kenyans
LRC Saturday: Iguider Wins Thrilling Men's 1,500m, Dibaba Lives Up To The Hype, Ashton Eaton, Sanya Richards Ross, Chaunte Lowe And Justin Gatlin (Uh) Get Gold World Record And $90,000 For Eaton A tremendous day of action and a good one for the USA. We break it down, including the men's 1,500m, where Abdalaati Iguider
ruined the coming out party of Ilham Tanui Özbilen in an exciting race that saw Matt Centrowitz challenge for the lead. Genzebe Dibaba dominated the women's 1,500, showing she's the real deal. Plus Sanya Richards Ross, Chaunte Lowe and Justin Gatlin are all back from various ailments, some self inflicted, some not. Not to mention a super-tight long jump and a gold by a 39-year-old married to a former heroin dealer.
- Sally Pearson Has Largest Margin Of Victory Ever In Hurdles At World Indoors
- 39-Year-Old Yamile Aldama Gets Surprise Gold For Britain
- Daily Mail Criticized Tiffany Porter For Switching Allegiances, Arranged For Zola Budd To Do It Instead of ambushing Porter, shouldn't they criticize British citizenship procedures?
LRC PM Session: Lagat Survives A Scare As Stellar 3k Final Is Set, Genzebe Dibaba Finds Her Event, Plus First 5,000-Point Pentathlon, And Ryan Whiting Joins 22.00m Club
LRC Morning Session - Rupp Bows Out, Meet Ilham Tanui, Centrowitz, Erica Moore, Jackie Areson, Sara Hall Make Finals
- IAAF: Pentathlon World Record! - Natallia Dobrynska Dobrynska Tallies 5,013 Points
- Echoes In The Arena Or Something Are Causing Starting Problems At Worlds
- On The Boards: Something is wrong with the 60m sprints in Istanbul Wejo did some analysis and the athletes are starting much slower than at the 2010 Worlds.
The Fast Guys Of The LRC Puma Faas Challenge (Our Apologies For Disrespecting The Always Disrespected David McNeill)
LRC The Fastest Puma Faas Winners - Mark Wieczorek, David McNeill And Ricky Flynn LetsRun.com is made up of the most passionate and fastest runners on the planet. The three guys above entered the Puma Faas Challenge just like you even though they are total studs. Mark is a 1:46.00
runner, David a two-time NCAA 5,000m champion and an Australian national champion, and Ricky was a breakthough performer at the Olympic Trials Marathon. Read all about them. Thanks to Ricky's run at the Trials, he may be getting a sponsor soon, so he's giving his shoes to his roommate.
Previous: Get Inspired With The Final 20+ Winners In The Puma Faas Challenge A guy with incurable cancer who wants to run 16-minute miles, a guy who want to break 4 despite getting hit by a car going 35mph, a woman who has a 5-year running streak going that includes two pregnancies, much more.
Dreams Don't Become Reality?
LRC Haile Gebrselassie Tweets "My Olympic Marathon Dream Is Over" And Ethiopia Announces A Preliminary Olympic Marathon Team Missing A Few Stars Geb's tweet is big news as we'd like to see him make one final attempt to compete in the Olympics. Just as big news
may be that neither Gebre Gebremariam, Tsegaye Kebede nor Fiyesa Lilesa
were on the preliminary
team. Their men's team is the top 4 Ethiopians from Dubai.
More Geb: Associated Press Column: Should Gebrselassie Say Goodbye? His agent seems to think so.
- Ethiopian OG Marathon Selection
- HAILE FROM TWITTER - "It looks like my Olympic Marathon dream is over."
USATF Classic *Results *Photo Gallery
LRC Galen Rupp's American 2-Mile Record Is Highlight Among 5 World Leaders Pre-race, we pondered if this was the best men's indoor mile in the US since LetsRun.com was founded and it lived up to the hype, as Silas Kiplagat edged Caleb Ndiku in a world-leading time, but it was Galen Rupp, running to honor the late Geoff Hollister, who stole the show with an impressive American record at 2 miles. In other action, Brenda Martinez took on some of the world's best in the mile, Jamaica's 8th best sprinter beat all the Americans, and Tianna Madison (a long jump world champion most of you have forgotten) shocked VCB and Allyson Felix in the 60m.
USATF XC *XC Results *Men's Photos *Women's Photos
Molly Huddle Celebrates Too Soon, Sara Hall Wins XC On Lean, Bobby Mack Beats Aaron Braun Great races in the chill of St. Louis, as Molly Huddle and Sara Hall battled to the line. Huddle put up her hands thinking she won, but Hall leaned and got the win. Photos here. On the men's side, Mack pulled away from Braun the final 600m. More coverage here. Photo finish photo here.
US Men's Olympic Trials Marathon News *LRC Vote Totals *Men's Results *Women's Results *Mile-By-Mile Splits *Yahoo Flash Photos
Marathon Trials Analysis And Reaction The 2012 Trials race was a classic. We throw some love to the top 3, ponder Ritz's future in the marathon, tell you who had the best debut, and tell you who that guy you never heard of was. Plus we talk about Meb's 74-year-old badass dad and look at the fortune of some old timers who didn't make the team, Josh Cox and Dan Browne, in addition to the ones who did (Meb and Abdi).
Race Recap: Meb Keflezighi Captures 2012 Olympic Trials Marathon Title
NY Times Recap: Meb Over Hall, Abdi Grabs 3rd Spot The race lived up to the billing as the top four all broke 2:10, whereas previously there had only been one sub-2:10 in OTM history. After a blistering first half (63:25), Meb Keflezighi got his 2nd PR in 69 days, as he ran 2:09:08 to win over Hall (2:09:30). A resurgent Abdirahman (2:09:47) hung on for the final Olympic spot in 2:09:47 over Ritzenhein, who broke 2:10:00 for the first time (2:09:55). In the process, Meb became the first American to make an Olympic marathon team 8 years after making it previously. Abdi had no idea until we talked to him that Martin Fagan, whom he trained with some this winter, had reportedly tested positive for EPO.
LRC Trials Live Thread Here
Trials On The Boards:
2011 ING NYC Marathon *Men's Results *Women's Results *Viewing Info *Flash Yahoo Photos
LRC 2:05:06!!! Geoffrey Mutai Caps Year In Style An unbelievable year in men's marathoning had an appropriate finish, as the Kenyan man who had the most unbelievable of all years, Geoffrey Mutai, smashed the previous NYC Marathon record by a stunning 2:38 - that's two minutes and 38 seconds. If it wasn't the
greatest 2nd-greatest men's marathon performance
ever, you'll have to tell us what was. American Meb Keflezighi hung with the leaders for 20 miles after a blistering 63:16 1st half and ended up with a much-deserved PR. Mutai picked up $200,000 by winning, but the big financial winner was runner-up Emmanuel Mutai, who won $635,000 ($500,000 for the WMM title).
LRC Mary Keitany Beats Herself The women's race was full of gut-wrenching drama, as Mary Keitany went out in a crazy 67:56. The problem was she came back in 74:42, as unheralded Firehiwot Dado (Rome Marathon champ) got the win.
LRC Post-Race Interviews: Meb And His Coach Bob Larsen Talks About His PR Despite Throwing Up Plus the winners - Geoffrey Mutai, Firehiwot Dado, men's and women's top 3, Ed Moran, Molly Pritz, Lauren Fleshman and Bobby Curtis.
4 Recommended Reads
- #1 With 4 Titanium Screws Holding His Hamstring To His Pelvis, Chris Solinsky Will Try To Not Overdo It In 2012 After a sensational 2010 which saw him become the 1st white man under 27:00, Solinsky went crazy in 2011 and overdid it. Now he's on the comeback trail from the 1st significant injury of his career. We almost certainly will use this as QOD for Thursday.
- #2 Meet Eulace Peacock - The Man Who Owned Jesse Owens Until He Tore His Hamstring (Note: The dates appear to be off) Even Owens doubted he could beat Peacock. Owens: "It's going to take a special man to beat Eulace Peacock. You see, I've already reached my peak. Peacock is just now reaching his. He's a real athlete. I don't know whether I can defeat him again."
- #3 Marc Bloom Asks: What Makes A Great HS Coach? Do you need to have been a former Foot Locker finalist yourself? Or maybe it's better to have never run at all? The secret is ...
- #4 The Week That Was In Running: March 12 - March 18, 2012 This week, we break down the action at the NYC Half and get ready for the Olympic 10,000 meters by talking about many of the US top prospects as well as Japan's 20 year old sensation Chihiro Miyawaki and by criticizing and praising Kenya's decision to have their 10,000 trials in Eugene. Along the way, we give you a stat that shows Kenya > the rest of the world at 10,000 despite the fact they haven't won gold in 44 years. Plus it's been a great last 365 days for Meb Keflezighi.
Random News That Makes The LRC Cut
- Usain Bolt Stars In New Visa Europe Ad *Visa Bolt Video
- 1st Ever Undewater Marathon Will Be Sept. 9, 2012 in Hershey, PA To Benefit Wounded Soldiers It looks like it will be done using a HydroWorx 2000 Series pool.
- Did You Not Get The Olympic Tickets You Wanted Or Not Qualify For The Games? Well, At Least You
Don't Have To Worry About This
Olympic Terror Threat "Substantial" A top security official briefed David Cameron's full cabinet on the matter.
- 2000 Olympic & 2001 World Steeple Champ Reuben Kosgei Hoping 3rd Time Is Charm In Marathon Only 32 years old, he'll race the Hanover Marathon on May 6th.
- South Korean Chef de Mission For London 2012 Resigns Because Of Corruption Scandal
- 100 Days Out - 100,000 Tickets For 2012 European Champs Have Been Sold Or Reserved Having the champs before the Olympics still has to be one of the dumbest decisions in history.
- Yohan Blake To Headline Donovan Bailey Invitational In Edmonton On June 16th
Chinese Women's Olympic Trials Are Held - 3 Experienced Runners Win Spots Wang Jiali, who was 8th in Daegu, got the win (2:22:41), 2007 London champ Zhou Chunxiu was 2nd (2:23:42) and Zhu Xiaolin, who was 4th at 2008 Olympics, was third (2:24:19). 2009 world champ Bai Xue was way back in 2:43:27 and didn't make the team.
Recommended Read: 23 Years Ago From Monday, Tim Hutchings Got Silver At World XC In Boston & Now Hutchings Laments Current Bi-Annual State World Cross-Country Hutchings: "... the IAAF have a lot to answer for as they reduced it to a virtual track race with manicured lawn-like courses around the world being used for the world championships and the real skills of cross country - being able to cope with changes in surface and inclines and twist and turns - being stripped away so that the event has become more like a glorified road race or even a track race on occasion."
Random But Interesting
- Great Britian's 1st Olympic Champion Gets Headstone Put On Unmarked Grave The granddaughter and great grandson of the man who won gold in weightlifting but went to 2nd Olympics as track and field athlete were present.
- Athens' Olympic Stadium Suffers Heavy Damage During Violent Clashes Between Soccer Fans And Police
- Vigorous Exercise May Decrease Fertility The article talks about for women, but we'd say 100-mile weeks would also decrease fertility from a man's perspective, as it takes so much energy that it reduces a man's sex drive as well.
- Spikes + Heels: Q&A With Former Penn State Hurdler Fawn Dorr
- Vin Lananna Says The Ducks Will Contend For Men's And Women's PAC-12 And NCAA Championships
- College Coaches, Read This And Then Start Recruiting
English Schools (HS) XC Titles Decided The junior boys title was won by Jamie Dee, who is the son of former European indoor medallist Nicky Morris.
2012 NYC Half Marathon *Top 50 Results *LRC Photos (Updated) *Race Replay (Video)
LRC Recap: Peter Kirui & Firehiwot Dado Prevail After Head-To-Head Battles
From the start, both the men's and women's races turned into one-on-one battles but with different results. In the men's race, Peter Kirui did all the work as Deriba Merga tried to hang on, but in the end, Kirui was rewarded with a victory in the 2nd fastest time ever (59:35) as no American men finished in the top 10. Kim Smith led most of the women's race, but Firehiwot Dado pulled ahead late and won in a new CR (68:35) as Kara Goucher was 3rd.
*MB: NYC Half 2012 race coverage thread and updates.
*MB:Today was Ritz's worst finish Since....
*MB:Did Kim Smith get pawned? (sic)
*MB: Todd Williams is really good at broadcasting
*Nice WSJ Recap
*Davila Loved The Weather: "If you can't run fast on a day like today, you might as well go bowling."
*Goucher: "I had a lot more fun this year."
Japanese 20-Year-Olds Impress In Half - One In Japan (1:00:53) - One In NYC (61:48) 20-year-old Olympic 10,000m Favorite Chihiro Miyawaki (Team Toyota) set a course record of 1:00:53 in his half marathon at the National Corporate Half in Japan as another 20-year-old Japanese guy beat Ritz in NYC by running 1:01:48. Plus another Japanese guy ran 61:15 in Japan.
*Japanese Collegians Talk About Their NYC Half Experiences
*Japanese Coach Talks Pre-NYC Half
NACAC XC/Oregon Preview
Oregon Preview *Men's Results *Women's Results
Meet Record For Snowfall Falls As It Snows 4 Times The snow didn't stop Sally Kipyego (8:53) and some other OTC elite from running - Geena Gall (2:07.11), Stephen Pifer (8:13.72).
*Elijah Greer Opens Unattached (3:50.50) - Will Run For UO Next Week
Cam Levins & Liz Costello Win NACAC XC Titles The Canadian Levins, who got silver last year, beat American Christopher Landry by 6 seconds for gold as Elliot Krause got the bronze. Americans Ben Lowry and Shannon Osika won the junior titles. *NACAC XC Full Results
Kenyan 10,000m Trials In Oregon!
- Latest: A Men's Mile, Women's 800, 1,500 Will Be Held On Friday Before Pre Classic
- Editorial: Kenya's Olympic Trials in the US a big blow to the nation
- It's Official: Only The Kenyan Men's 10,000m Olympic Trials Will Be Held At Pre Classic No 5k, no women's 10k. Top 2 automatically on Olympic team with 3rd wild card spot.
- Ken Goe Article Says that there is a rumor that the Pre Classic was never very interested in the 5k and AK will probably select the women's 10k team without a trial.
- Athletics Kenya Fighting As Usual To Drag Athletes To Pre-Olympic Training Camps They've threatened agents with sanctions if they don't find their athletes within 24 hours.
- "Olympic Movement's Most Influential Figure In the Western Hemisphere" Mario Vazquez Raña Resigns From IOC It seems the 80-year-old was subject to a mandatory retirement age rule. In his 4-page long statement, he gave insight into some of the "behind-the-scenes political infighting" in the Olympic movement.
- Top Russian Racewalker Surprised To Hear Race Walking Gets Mocked In US And UK Apparently it's a lot more popular in Russia.
Recommended Read The New York Times Introduces Kirani James To The World James has risen from poverty and a tiny party island to world champion in a very short period of time despite having an awkward left foot plant that "experts" have insisted he change (remind anyone of Michael Johnson?). James, just 19, is still a full-time student at the University of Alabama, as anything less than that and he'll be deported. Crazy. He already is #3 all-time at 400m indoors.
Olympic 100m Champ Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Tells Fans - Don't Be So Critical "It's not that day for you to be telling us, 'Oh, you're worthless, you're not supposed to be doing that' ... instead of saying, 'Good luck next time. All the best when it comes again.'"
2012 NCAAs *Results
LRC 3,000s: Chris Derrick Pushes Lawi Lalang To The Line, Emily Infeld Wins Her First Title (link fixed) Friday night, Chris Derrick won
coming within 1.7 seconds of beating Lawi Lalang. Derrick did even better on Saturday night, coming within .17 seconds. In the end, Derrick's efforts weren't enough, as Lalang completed the double. In the women's 3,000m, Emily Infeld won a four-person sprint around the final bend over (among others) Jordan Hasay. Hasay's Ducks were so good they would have won the team title if she had stayed in Oregon.
LRC Mile, 800 And Team Recaps: Chris O'Hare Goes Wire-To-Wire, Jordan Hasay Tries To, Mason McHenry Surprises In 800, Nachelle Mackie Gets Another BYU 800 Win, Oregon, Florida Three-Peat After beind edged out last year, Chris O'Hare went gun-to-tape to win the mile, while Jordan Hasay tried to do the same but just came up short. In the 800s ASU's Mason McHenry showed what running your best when it matters can do for you, and Nachelle Mackie made it two years in a row for BYU wire-to-wire victories. In the team competition, Florida three-peated thanks to Jeff Demps (60m three-peat), Tony McQuay (45.77 400) and Omar Craddock (triple jump win). Oregon three-peated on the women's side and was led by Jordan Hasay's 11 points, plus English Gardner winning the 60 and Brianne Theisen the pentathlon.
Curtis Beach Sets Six PRs And Runs 2:23 1,000m To Get NCAA Heptathlon Title Beach ran 1:50 for 800 in high school and could be a mid-d runner if he wanted to. 2:23 is incredible for a multi guy. Discuss here.
More From Saturday:
- Ken Goe Of The Oregonian Recaps Oregon's Three-Peat
- AP Recap Of Final Day Of NCAAs
- Alex Hutchinson Says Altitude Of Boise Could Affect Elite Athletes But Not Regular Joes
LRC 5,000s: Chris Derrick Puts Up A Brave Fight In 5,000m As Lawi Lalang Wins The Title, Betsy Saina Holds Off Deborah Maier Chris Derrick may not have won the men's 5,000m on Friday night but he earned a lot
of people's respect with the way he challenged the fastest-ever 5,000m runner in the NCAAs, Lawi Lalang. In the end, Lalang had too much the final 200. On the women's side, Betsy Saina got her first NCAA title despite a tough challenge from Deborah Maier.
OTB: Chris Derrick... WHAT A RUN!!!!!! *CMON DERICK, DO IT FOR AMERICA!!! *Debbie Maier is Rockin it!
LRC DMRs: Notre Dame Surprises And Katie Flood Lives Up To The Hype To Get Washington The Title Notre Dame's Jeremy Rae holds off IU's Andy Bayer and BYU's Miles Batty to get the win. Katie Flood runs fastest women's mile of the day to get Washington the win over Oregon, Dartmouth, and Georgetown.
LRC Mile And 800m Prelim Recaps All the big favorites through, but a couple of surprises.
OTB: Fall In Heat 2 Of Men's Mile *Cas Loxsom is a CHOKE ARTIST
- DMR Performance By Oregon Pleases Lananna And Keeps Them On Track For 3rd Straight Title Eugene Register Guard
- Great Read: Excellent Profile On Katie Flood From Des Moines Register According to her mom, Flood ran a 6-something-minute mile with no training as an 8-year-old.
IAAF Releases Members Of Inaugural Hall Of Fame *Website
- Tough Standards For Inaugural IAAF Hall Of Fame Athletes need to have won at least two Olympic or World Championships gold medals and set at least one WR. Ridiculous.
- Amby Burfoot: "Love the New IAAF Hall of Fame Idea. Hate the Entry Requirements" He points out that the standards keep out great runners like Joan Benoit Samuelson, Frank Shorter, Roger Bannister, and even Paula Radcliffe unless she wins gold in London.
- Joe Battaglia: "Wang Junxia's nomination to IAAF Hall of Fame a cruel joke" "There is never a second chance to make a first impression. It's a shame that this inaugural IAAF Hall of Fame induction will be punctuated with a question mark."
News From Jamaica
- Prince Harry False Starts In Run With Bolt, Does Bolt Pose, Tells Jamaican Athletes Not To Come To America
- Yohan Blake To Race Sparingly Leading Up To Olympics
- After Great Winter Training, Yohan Blake Is Dreaming Of Upstaging Usain Bolt And Winning 4 Golds Himself Both Jamaicans are dreaming of 4 golds, but Blake has been hot in training, whereas Bolt is MIA. Blake: "My 4 x 400m training is going really well. I've been really encouraged by my performances."
Aussie Olympic Trials/Melbourne Track Classic Was Friday/Saturday *Results *Gregson's Finish Line Dance
Day 2: Mottram Is Back, Wins 5k; Rudisha Cruises In 800 (Symmonds Struggles), Pearson Impresses Craig Mottram ran away from Collis Birmingham to win the 5,000m in 13:18, David Rudisha crushed the 800m field to win in 1:44 (Nick Symmonds ran 1:48), and world hurdles champ Sally Pearson got a PR in the 200m and her fourth-best
time in the 100m hurdles. Ben True (13:26) and Will Leer ran in the 5km. More From IAAF
*Australian High Performance Manager Is Full Of Praise For Mottram "What he did in the race against Collis was tantamount to Mottram re-establishing himself in our psyche that he is the No.1 man over 5,000m. And once he has that confidence behind him, we then know with the right training and the right progress he's one of the rare distance athletes that can shake it up with the Africans."
*2-Time world champion at 400h, Jana Pittman, will start running on Monday but is quickly running out of time to qualify for London 2012
*17-Year-Old Aussie Liz Parnov Likely To Be On Olympic Team
*Sally Pearson After Winning 100m Hurdles In 12.49 Seconds: "Holy crap! I know I can't swear, what can I say? It's really fantastic." *AP Article
*Runner's Tribe Recap
On The Boards: *Symmonds ran 1:48 in Melbourne, Sure, it's March Nick, not August!
*Mottram wins 5000m
Day 1: Ryan Gregson Wins And Does A Dance As Kiprop Falters For 3rd Year In A Row - Torrence 2nd, Willis Third On a windy day, Asbel Kiprop had the lead in the middle but faded to 5th (3:42.52) as Aussie record holder Ryan Gregson got the win (3:38.51) to prove he's at least temporarily over last year's injury problems. He was followed by Torrence (3:39.32), Willis (3:39.77), Riseley and Kiprop. Kiprop: "I don't know exactly what happened. It was not my day today ... I did 10 seconds slower than what I was expecting. It doesn't disappoint me at all."
*AP: Pearson Wins, Frayne Gets TJ Qualifier
IAAF Recap Afterwards, Gregson did a dance at the finish (video embedded to your right or here). Was it because of this tweet?
OTB: Gregson is back!!! (def. Kiprop, etc)
*Gregson's Finishline Dance
A Current & Future Marathoner In The News
Meet The Triathlon Coach Who Taught Ryan Hall He Needed To Recover More No, the name of "Mr. Recovery" isn't God - it's Matt Dixon. Dixon seems to be a smart guy who had one triathlete cut his "volume by 30
easier workouts and had
him eat more." We'd say that would help 90% of all distance runners if only instead of cutting their volume by 30%, they increased it by 30%.
"Our goal is not to train as hard as we can, but to perform well."
Salazar Says "Mea Culpa" And Takes Blame For Aggressive Race Plan That Blew Up And Cost Galen Rupp 3k Spot In Albuquerque They knew sitting and kicking would result in a Lagat slaughter, so they tried to take it out hard but they underestimated Lopez Lomong. "(Lomong's) always been a great runner," Salazar said. "We totally respect him. But he hadn't run a distance race in a while. We underestimated what he could do. It was a mistake."
USATF Indoors *Results *LRC Day 1 Photo Gallery *LRC Day 2 Photo Gallery *Race Videos
Sunday: LRC Manzano Outkicks Centrowitz And Rupp To Win 1,500, Simpson Holds Off Martinez (Updated) Two weeks ago, Manzano ran 3:57 in his opener but was last place
in a super-stacked mile in Arkansas. In the women's 1,500m, Jenny Simpson edged Brenda Martinez, showing Martinez is the real deal (Martinez had by FAR the best finish as she got boxed and was 6-7 meters back with 100m to go and barely lost), and Sanya Richards-Ross ran a 50.71 meet record. Chaunte Lowe set an American record in the women's high jump, showing she is more than back from maternity leave. Distance recaps, results, and videos with winners.
*Ashton Eaton Wins LJ With A New PR
On The Boards: Manzano outkicks Centrowitz and Rupp!
Really, what happened Rupp in the last two laps tonight?
LRC USATF Indoor Men's 3k: Lagat, Lomong Crush Rupp (Updated w/ video interviews) Galen Rupp pushed the pace early, hoping his 12th attempt at beating powerhouse Lagat would be the charm, but was badly dropped before the bell, unable to challenge Lagat, who then crushed Lopez Lomong with a 25-second last lap. On to Worlds for Lagat, where he may be the favorite to defend his title. Like Lagat, Jenny Simpson ran away with the women's 3,000m title. Find out why she won't be running in Istanbul.
*IAAF Recap Day 1 Will Claye jumped 17.63m in the TJ for the furthest mark by an American in 23 years.
*Jennifer Suhr Overcomes Aching Achilles To Win PV At US Champs She only had to clear two heights and then made 3 attempts to break her own AR, but missed.
*Results *LRC Official USA Indoor TNF Champs ABQ Thread
*Lagat: "I just wanted to show these guys that Daddy can still kick." RRW Recap
A Definite Recommended Read & Discuss
Sports Illustrated & Tim Layden Profile Mo Farah & Galen Rupp: A Bond Born At Speed The two training partners clearly will have vastly different amounts of pressure on them at the London Games and it's clear that Rupp is happy to not be in the spotlight: "I don't envy Mo. He's going to have a bunch of people cheering for him, but all that stress. It's nice sometimes to just train and not have all that external stuff."
MB: Rupp 10.9 and Farah 11.3 for the 100m *Do you believe the rest of the SI article about Rupp & Farah? 8 x 1200 at 4,551 Ft Altitude in 3:09/2min rest? *Alberto Salazar's coaching pre-Galen Rupp *Does Rupp have any realistic chance of beating Lagat this weekend?
Sydney Track Classic *Results
Kiprop 1:45.9, Rudisha 45.61, David Torrence 3:35.6 Wins The Australian season got underway in full force with the two best mid-distance runners, Olympic and World 1,500m champ Asbel Kiprop and World 800m champ David Rudisha, both dropping down in distance. Rudisha ran 45.61 at 400, while Kiprop got the 800m win in 1:45.9. Kiprop dropping down let American David Torrence win the 1,500 in 3:35.6. World hurdles champ Sally Pearson did the hurdles/200m double. Nick Symmonds did not have his kick and was a well-beaten 6th in 1:47.44, which is a pretty good opener.
LRC Hello World, Meet Ayele Abshero (2:04:23 Debut!) The 21-year-old former Jr. World XC champ's marathon debut was super-special, as his surge with just over 3km remaining decimated
marathon field in history, as four
men broke 2:05 in the race, eight broke 2:06, 10 broke 2:07, and 17 broke 2:10 - all records as fastest-ever times for places were recorded in spots three through
17. 2011 belonged to the Kenyan men, will 2012 belong to Ethiopia? The women's race was super-fast and super-deep as well, as 3 women broke 2:20 in the same race for the 1st time, as Aselefech Mergia ran 2:19:31 to win and a record 9 women broken 2:25. Martin Lel was a DNF, Ramaala 2:12. *AP
*Butcher: Ethiopians Strike Back
*MB: 4 guys I've never heard of go sub 2:05 in Dubai
US Women's Olympic Trials Marathon News *LRC Vote Totals *Men's Results *Women's Results *Yahoo Flash Photos
Flanagan Over Davila, Goucher Gets Third As Top 4 All Break Old OTrials Record Flanagan (2:25:38) pulled away from Davila (2:25:55) and Goucher was third in 2:26:06. Amy Hastings broke the old Trials record at 2:27:17 but didn't make the team. Deena Kastor was 6th in 2:30:40.
- New: Amy Hastings Reacts To Fourth Place Finish Obviously disappointed, but a good run for Amy.
- Post-Race Reaction None of the four former Olympic marathoners in the race made the team. Hear from the top 3 and them.
- Women's Results
- Goucher: "I never imagined myself winning this race based on the short period of time I had to train." Oregonian
Updated NYC 2012 Half Marathon Photos
ABC 7's New York City Half Coverage (Larger Here)
LRC The Week That Was In Running: March 5 - March 11, 2012 This week, we wonder if the NCAA milers could have beaten Bernard Lagat at Worlds if they'd jumped into the 3k with a mile to go, compare Chris Derrick to Galen Rupp, tell you how Meseret Defar was beaten at Worlds, tell you how many NCAA runners would have medalled at Worlds, pay homage to the great Mizuki Noguchi, and also explain why indoor track in many ways is better than outdoor track.
Chris Solinsky Update (On The Boards: What has been up with Chris Solinsky?)
He talks about how he had to have surgery in September after he tripped over his dog, giving up his 2011 Worlds spot, his 9-minute mile first run back, and his plans for outdoors. Video below. Larger here.
Highlights And Last 800m Of Men's 3,000m At Worlds (Larger Video Here - We Previously Had It Set Up So You Could Watch Without Knowing The Results)
Non-Worlds/NCAA Action - US 15k Champs: Gate River Run *Results
Mo Trafeh Three-Peats, Janet Cherbon-Bawcom Wins Title And Equalizer Bonus Molly Huddle was 2nd on the women's side and Christo Landry was second on the men's. More coverage here. *RW Post-Race Brief Chat
With Trafeh Here
Crazy: Two Weeks After Tokyo Marathon, Yuki Kawauchi Runs 1:04:26 Half Marathon On Hilly Course
Nagoya: Russian Albina Mayorova Wins Nagoya Marathon, The Final Qualifying Race For Olympics
Kenya: Asbel Kiprop Runs 1:18.0 600m
- DII Men: Grand Canyon Beats Adams
- DII Women: Grand Valley State Wins 2nd Straight
- DIII Women: Wartburg Wins, Christy Cazzola Double Wins In Mile/800
- DIII Men: NCC Wins 3rd Straight
High School New Balance Nationals *Results
- After DMR, SMR And 2-Mile Victories, Edward Cheserek Got Beaten In Mile At HS Nationals
- Final Day Recap More from MileSplit here.
- DyeStat: 4 X Mile Record By Chariho HS Highlights Day 2 At New Balance Nationals
- Erin Finn Runs 16:19 National Record In 5k
- Nuts: Edward Cheserek Goes Out In 54.6 (25.6, 29.0) And Leads His DMR Team To Victory
Men's 1,500m Final From World Indoors (Women's Here)
Prince Harry Over Usain Bolt
Day 2 USATF Indoor Photos (Tokyo Marathon Photos Here)
Day 1 USATF Indoor Photos
Spend 10 Minutes To Get To Know The World's Best(?) Marathoner Patrick Makau (Also Has Footage Of Him Training In Kenya)
LetsRun.com Track Talk Live From Kenya: Friday's Live Show Is Now Available On Demand In The Player Below (Or Download It Here)
Rupp's 2-Mile American Record From Arkansas (Last 2:20 Or The Full Race)
Final 400 (Or Full Race) Of Lagat's American Record (Wanamaker Mile Video Here)
Photo Gallery: Rupp Makes History (Interview Below Or Here)
USA XC Photo Galleries *Women Here *Men Here
Trailer For "ITEN - The Town Of RED Dust"
NCAA Women's Photo Gallery
NCAA Men's Photo Gallery (500+ Photos)
Training Corner (More In The Training Forum)
Universal Sports Back To Top