Final DL Meet Brussels Is Friday *Start Lists
Brussels Men's Preview: Tyson Gay And Rudisha Vs. Kaki Take Center Stage In Brussels Tyson Gay vs. Nesta Carter in the 100m and Rudisha vs Kaki at 800, plus a great men's 1,500 with Kiprop and Leo Manzano among others.
*Kaki Vs. Rudisha In Brussels www.standardmedia.co.ke
A Look At Women's Events In Brussels (Caster Semenya's 800m DL Debut) American Alysia Johnson can win the DL title at 800m if somehow she can bounce back from her last race out. She'll have her hands full with Caster Semenya's DL debut.
*Lengthy International Herald Tribune Article On Semenya And Other Athletes' (Lack Of) Acceptance Of Her
*AP Editorial On Semenya: "Saying simply that doctors concluded that she can compete, as the IAAF did, is not enough."
New York Fires Back
More Track News
- Recommended Read: How Mo Farah Beat Moorcroft's British 5,000m Record BBC The article takes a statistical look at Farah's run. It's hard to believe his run was the FIRST British male track record in over a decade. What has happened to the Brits?
- When Usain Bolt Is In Australia In September, He'll Study Fabrice Lapierre's Long Jump Form For Possibly Taking Up Event After 2012
- Tyson Gay To Run 100m In Zagreb On September 1 Getting a little more cash for his vacation.
Chicago Is Back - Take That, New York!!!!!
Boston And London And Olympic Champs Added To Chicago Field
The race officially announced its field and the addition of Tsegaye Kebede (who we crowned the current top marathoner in the world after his win in London) and Boston champ Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot with the previously-announced Ryan Hall and (unofficially-announced) Olympic champ Sammy Wanjiru make this a race for the ages. For those of you who don't know, that means you have the World Marathon Majors leaders(Kebede and Wanjiru) going head to head for $500,000, have the reigning Boston champ, the reigning London champ as well as and Hall. *Article On Chicago Written By New York Professional Athlete Consultant David Monti
The Week That Was
LRC Week In Review This week we praise a steroid user, rip the NFL, and talk about Wilson Kipketer, David Rudisha, Caster Semenya, Chris Solinsky, Adam Goucher and others. Along the way, we introduce you to a 16-year-old prodigy from Britain and try to cheer up Galen Rupp.
Parkersburg Half Marathon Course Records Broken This used to be the US Half Marathon champs course and is a very difficult half marathon.
*Video Of Parkersburg From Local TV Station
News We Missed: Edna Kiplagat Throws Out First Pitch At Dodgers Game She won the LA Marathon last spring, which we completely ignored since the race does not drug test despite having the resources to do so.
Could XC Running Really Come To The Winter Olympics? espn.com Think of what a legend Paul Tergat would be. One race, one true champion. Anyone remember Alan Culpepper's win in Boulder?
Menjo Does It Again - 3:53 Solo Mile! The LRC cult hero who soloed a 12:55 5k earlier in the week capped the week off in style by soloing a 3:53.62. Adrien Blincoe was second in 3:59.27. *Meet Results Here *LRC MBoard Thread On Menjo's 3:53
World Youths *Results
- Recap Of Final Day Of Youth Olympics IAAF
- Team USA Ends Youth Champs With 8 Medals
- Day 5: Africans Sweep Boys 3,000 As Boys Run Really Fast Over 1k The 1k results were crazy: 2:19 to win, 2:21 to medal for 16-year-olds, including one Brit. In the 3k, a Japanese boy came .02 short of medaling and a Japanese girl got silver. *Japanrunningnews Recap With Video
- Recap Of Day 4 At World Youth Champs
- Kipketer, Fredericks, Coe And Bubka: Youth Olympic Games "A Golden Opportunity"
- Lead Article Front Page Sunday NY Times: A Champion Against Cancer, Now Under Siege (Lance Armstrong) New York Times
- NFL Drug Testing Gets Criticism For Notifying Athletes In Advance Of Tests New York Times
- Some Not Happy Drug Cheat Alene Reta Still Running The Roads
5 Interesting/Recommended Reads
- NY Times Goes To Berlin To Cover Caster Semenya's Return And Finds That Her Competitors Are Irate She's Back We must say that while we feel bad for Semenya, we feel worse for her competitors. *Thread #1 *Thread #2
- Cross-Country Running's Bid For 2018 Winter Games Making Headlines On ESPN
- NY Times: Harold Connolly Was An Unapologetic Fan Of Steroids Connolly was roiding it up in the '50s and '60s and still a fan of steroids when he died. We praise him 100% for his honesty. Connolly: "Pro athletes who can pay for medical guidance should take steroids. They can give fans a better performance, a nice luxury. The argument against it is that they are role models and kids will find the black market."
- Drug Cheat Alan Reta And LetsRun.com's Ripping Of Him Garner Press In California *The MBoard thread they talk about in the article is here.
- Eugene Register Guard's Eulogy To Scott Davis - The Legendary Voice Of The Pre Classic
We're Not Sure Why We Cover Mediocrity *Results
Justin Gatlin Wins Again 10.28 into a 2 m/s wind. It's equal to a 10.15 with no wind. We probably should quit noticing when he runs, as he's an unapologetic cheat. But what do we know? Nike still sponsors him according to this thread.
USATF: Stretching Doesn't Help Reduce Injuries 16% of runners are going to get hurt every 3 months whether they stretch or not. The article does say to do whatever you've been doing. *AP Recap Of Study *LRC MBoard Talk
Blasts From The Past: Irish Junior Record (30:17) At 10k Is 40 Years Old Before you think that is impressive, the US high school record by Rudy Chapa is 34 years old. Oh yeah, his record is 28:32.
Top Women In The News
- Profile Of Surprise Kenyan Champion Nancy Langat The world's best 1,500-meter runner was first seen way back in 1996 and struggled as she was in the wrong event. Now she's basically unbeatable in tactical races.
- Lisa Koll Talks About Decision To Move To Oregon And Sign With Nike She also talks about her recent engagement to Kiel Uhl.
- Running Times Looks At Shalane Flanagan's Move To Schumacher And The Marathon
Sad News - Track And Field Loses Three Heroes
- Olympic Hammer Champ And World Record Holder Harold Connolly Passes Away Good read for those of you wh know very little on this legend. New York Times
- Meb Keflezighi Shares His Memories Of Scott Davis
- Philip Hersh: Track And Field Has Lost 2 Of Its Greats In Harold Connolly And Scott Davis
- Track Announcer And Former Mt. SAC Director Scott Davis Passes Away He announced NCAAs, Pre and the World Juniors champs this year but contacted an infection in Canada and died on Wednesday. *IAAF Eulogy *Message Board Thread On Davis' Passing
- Unsung Hero Of Kenyan Athletics, Joseph Chelimo, Has Passed Away The coach of world/Olympic champions Reuben Kosgei, Richard Limo, Enock Koech, Eliud Kipchoge and Brimin Kipruto was respected by many in Kenya as 2,000 turned out for his funeral.
Catching Up With Adam & Kara Goucher And Amy Begley
- Adam: Close To Retirement? "I always told myself I'll never be that guy, that's 35 years old and can't see the writing on the wall. I'm sure the vast majority of people out there are saying (I) can't see the writing on the wall." *LRC MB: Adam Goucher is coming to grips with retirement
- Kara Talks About Being 6 Weeks Away From Birth And Says Lisa Koll Was Run "Ragged" In College
- 2010 US 10k Champ Amy Begley Has Achilles Surgery
Week In Review
LRC Week In Review We open our mouths big time this week and have our first $3,350 guarantee regarding Alan Webb. Plus, we confirm that Andrew Wheating is better than Nick Symmonds right now and wonder what happened to Asbel Kiprop, David Rudisha and Alysia Johnson for that matter. And we go ga-ga over David Moorcroft one more time.
Shaq Vs. Tyson
Shaq Vs. Tyson Gay Recap updated with video We have to recap this because it will be the most watched track and field event of the year in
the United States by probably
a factor of 3 or 4 (we're not joking). Shaq took on Tyson Gay over 30 yards (Gay ran 60) and then Shaq, Mo Greene and Desean Jackson (NFL) took on Tyson Gay, Chris Johnson (NFL) and Dwight Howard (NBA) in a relay.
On The Boards: *Tyson Gay 6.05 60m? #1 all time outdoors?
*Bad move by Tyson Gay?
*Shaq vs. ???
- 18,000 Show Up In Villeneuve D'Ascq, France To Watch LeMaitre Get Beaten, Teddy Tamhgo And Renaud Lavillenie Impress LeMaitre had not raced since Europeans and it showed.
- Christian Cantwell's 21.91 Highlights Dubnica, Slovakia Meet
- Mustafa Mohamed Wins Steeple, 5k, 10k At Swedish Champs It sounds more impressive than it is.
Coming Later Today: What Really Happened At Shaq Vs. Tyson Gay
- Excellent Tribute To Scott Davis In Orange Country Register
- LetsRun.com Now In Hebrew Well, it's recommended if you speak Hebrew. We always said we're world famous.
Take That, Nike
Usain Bolt Re-Signs With Puma And Is Reportedly The Highest-Paid Track Athlete In History Bolt is living large as, being injured, he was home in Jamaica on his birthday for the first time in 7 years. *2nd Article From ESPN *Article
In WSJ: "I want to make for Puma like what Michael Jordan made for Nike."
*Bolt Excited To Do Long Jump After Winning 100-200 In 2012 He thinks that he'll be a star at the event. Apparently, he jumped while warming up in Czechoslvakia a few years ago. We'll pay someone $1,000 for that video. Meanwhile, enjoy this video.
*Believe It Or Not: Bolt's Bday Celebration Was Very Low-Key
More Aftermath On Semenya And Rudisha
Recommended Read David Rudisha's Dad Missed His Son's World Record As His TV Wasn't Working Dad was an Olympic silver medalist in the 4 x 400 and is very proud.
*David Rudisha Given Wild Card To Commonwealth Games Apparently the star is going to go to India.
*More Great Diane Cummins Quotes About Semenya "Unfortunately for Caster, she's grown up in an environment that is complicated not just for her but for human science."
- RR: Profile Of Former Wake Forest Star Michael Bingham, Who Is Enjoying Running For Britain Bingham realized his odds in the US were bleak, so he now runs for Britain where he is the European silver medalist.
- Throwers Steal Show In Slovakia As Ryan Gregson Runs 2:17 1,000
- Mustafa Mohamed Pulls Off Steeple, 5k, 10k Triple At Swedish Champs The winning times were just 8:44, 14:28, and 29:58.
Rudisha Dedicates His Victory To His Family And Colm O'Connell; Wilson Kipketer Talks, And Rudisha Will Take On Kaki In Brussels The legendary Kenyan coach Colm O'Connell is Rudisha's coach. Rudisha had left his family to go train with Colm in Iten. If you want to see how beatiful Iten is and why you should never blame training facilities on your lack of
*Billy Konchellah Talks About David Rudisha's World Record Konchellah, the two time 800m world champ, father of Yusuf Kamel (and convicted rapist), is from the same area as Rudisha.
*May 2008 Profile On David Rudisha From Athletics Weekly Rudisha is only 21. Great things were predicted for him 2 years ago.
On The Boards: Bolt vs Rudisha 400m
*Rudisha 800m training
*Rudisha ist der Hammer!
*Caster Semenya Turns Attention To Commonwealth Games
*Caster Semenya's Coach Ignores New Gender Criticism In case you haven't seen video of her race in Berlin, take 2 minutes to watch it. On paper, it looks like a half-second victory but then when you see it, you see her make a mockery of the competition. We're not sure if we've ever seen an 800m like it before. Video on right or here. After the race, some of her competitors spoke on the sensitive subject of gender: "You have to be diplomatic and keep your opinions to yourself but sometimes it is so frustrating." telegraph.co.uk
ISTAF Berlin (The World's Most Popular Track Meet Attendance-Wise) Was Sunday *Results *Photos *Video Of Rudisha's WR
LRC: David Rudisha Does It - 1:41:09!!! Wilson Kipketer's nearly 13-year-old world record is now a thing of the past as David Rudisha more than erased the bad memories he had in Berlin from not making the World Championships final there last year. The race
video is absolutely unreal.
In other action, Caster Semenya's return to Berlin was a pleasant one as she broke 2:00 and won (video on right or here). In the men's 3,000, Bernard Lagat's American record attempt came up short as Tariku Bekele shined again. Lastly, in the 1,500, world leader Silas Kiplagat turned things around and dominated to get his 2nd European victory.
More: Semenya Wins And Her Competitors Aren't Happy About It We certainly see why they think it's unfair. Diane Cummins: "There are guys who can challenge Usain Bolt but nobody can challenge Caster Semenya," she said. "She is four or five seconds better than any of us and that's incredible."
*IAAF Recap Of Meet
*Pacemaker Bekele Runs World-Leading Time In 3,000 We're not convinced he was the rabbit - he may have agreed to help out in the latter stages.
RR Who Is David Rudisha? Read this nice profile from 2008.
*Science Of Sport: 49-Second 1st Lap Is Critical
*Kenya Celebrates Rudisha's WR
*BBC Recap Of WR
On The Boards: *RUDISHA WR 1:41:09
*Tariku 7:28, bernard falls off
*Rudisha ist der Hammer!
*No 3k AR for Lagat
*Can Solinsky be the first non-african under 7:30 @ Rieti?
- 3-On-3 Basketball At 2016 Games? The tournament to pick the USA team would generate millions.
- George Steinbrenner Helped Seilala Sua Make The Olympics
- Craig Virgin Interview He did not have great Olympic success but was a 2 time World XC champ: "It means the same thing now that it meant back then - for two days in my life I was the best in the world at something."
Asafa Powell Calls An End To His Season We were thinking Powell should run Commonwealths so he could win a competition under pressure, but he did win in 2006. Yohan Blake, if he runs, would be stiff competition.
- NY Times: Harold Connolly Was Open About Steroids (The Olympic Champ In 1956 Says He Was Using By 1960)
- Oregon 400m Recruit Michael Berry Tests Positive For Weed
Commonwealth Games Are Approaching - Will They Be Safe?
- English Officials Tell Athletes Games Are Safe But To Expect Terrorist Attacks On Soft Targets Prior To Games
- Former Aussie Star Fears "Another Munich" Will Happen In New Delhi
- New Delhi To Take "Drastic" Security Precautions
LRC 2010 Zürich Diamond League Recap: Like Old Times Wariner, Spearmon, Felix, Phillips, US 4 X 100 Impress, Solinsky Gets Closer It was like we went back a few years with all the top American stars from a couple of years ago kicking butt. Besides David Oliver, the one newcomer to the party was American Chris Solinsky, who had his best performance
of the year, a third place finish in another sub-13 minute clocking in the 5k, as younger American Galen Rupp ran over 13:00 but a PR. In the women's distance action, Nancy Langat won again and guess what - she didn't break 4:00. Incredible. $40,000 went to 16 Diamond League winners.
*Mo Farah Gets David Moorcroft's British 5,000m Record
*World Leader For Jeremy Wariner In Zürich
*Tyson Gay Leads Fast 4 X 100
*IAAF Recap Of Zürich: David Oliver's 12.93 Leads Way
On The Message Boards:
*Zurich womens 1500: Pierce and Uceny DNF?
*Zurich 5000m thread.
*Solinsky starting to remind me of Pre
*pro runners and narcissism
*Is Solinsky done?
*What happened to RUPP?
*Watler Dix Lost Out on $40,000 by Not Running Zurich
Sad: ING NYC Marathon To Finish At A Hot Dog Stand
NY Post: Local Union And Mayor Bloomberg Have Shut Down And Bankrupted Tavern On The Green Tavern on the Green the landmark, where the NYC Marathon finishes, has been shuttered since the start of the year. It looks like it's going to stay that way solely because of politics. The
restaurant was NYC highest grossing last year and is the #2 grossing restaurant in the US, yet it's closed. Crazy.
*NY Daily News: Tavern On The Green's Future As Hot Dog Stand This article is older, but people outside of NY have no idea of what is going on.
More Euro/African News
- Olympic High Jump Champ Belgian Tia Hellebaut Is Pregnant Again And Will Announce Retirement
- What The Hell Happened To Pamela Jelimo? That's not the actual headline but it's what we're thinking.
- British Athletes Who Go To Commonwealths Are Being Told To Skip Indoor Season independent.co.uk
- Recap Of S. African 10k Champs Despite a $7,000 bonus, Wejo's PR of 28:06 could not be beaten.
Recommended Reads/London-Related Articles
- David Oliver Talks About His Rise From A Foot Locker Employee With No Contract To #1 In The World In 4 Years Along the way, he rips the European competition: "Outdoors, I don't really pay attention to any European guy."
- To Be One Of The World's Best, Mo Farah Eats, Sleeps & Trains Like/With The Kenyans Farah: "There's no distractions - no television, no going to the cinema. I realised if I was going to achieve anything I would have to do what the Kenyans were doing."
- Thanks To Yohan Blake's 9.89 In London, Jamaica Is Now 1st Country To Have 4 Sub-9.90s In One Season