Usain Bolt Out For Rest Of Season With Back Injury Just when we started to think of the publicity a Bolt-Gay rematch in Brussels was going to get, it was announced Bolt is out for the rest of the season. For the rest of 2010, track and field in the US will be relegated to obscurity and tape delay broadcasts on obscure stations. In case you can't tell, we're bummed.
*Discuss Bolt's Injury
Week In Review
LRC The Week That Was In Running: Tyson Gay Over Usain Bolt, Chris Solinsky's 12:55 And The 34-Year-Old Mark Kiptoo, Plus Phil Knight And Oregon's $41 Million Academic Center We give you an abbreviated recap of the week in running. And just so you click on it, we mention Alan Webb.
Aviva London DL Friday-Saturday *Start Lists
Aviva London Start Lists This is a great meet every year and a rare 2-day meet. Tyson Gay vs. Asafa Powell in the 100m, plus a do-over of the men's 800m in Stockholm (Andrew Wheating and Nick Symmonds).
*Allyson Felix Going For 200-400 Double In London This Weekend
*Dayron Robles Pulls Out Of London Meet, Will Race Next In Brussels August 27
*Unbeaten Junior Phenom Jodie Williams Getting Advice From Allyson Felix
*Blanka Vlašić Mistakenly Reported To Be In Porno Film She's got another rematch with Chaunte Lowe on Friday.
IAAF Council Meeting
- After Budget Cuts, IAAF Still $9 Million In The Hole In 2010 That is seriously supposed to be good news. They have a lot of financial reserves, so a $9 million deficit is supposedly okay.
- More Info On IAAF Council Meeting
- Kavarna, Bulgaria, To Host 2012 World Half Marathon Champs
Stockholm And Bolt Vs. Gay *Full Results *Photos *LRC $20,010 Prediction Contest Scores
Tyson Gay Crushes Usain Bolt The top 100m man in the world on Friday night was clearly Tyson Gay. He got a good start and had no problem defeating Usain Bolt in Stockholm. Hopefully, the loss to Bolt is a jolt to the sport's publicity and makes the rematch that much bigger (Bolt's loss even got a mention on the Best Sports Radio Station in the country).
*IAAF Recap *Reuters Recap *AP Recap
*Video Of Gay-Bolt *Post-Race BBC Interview Of Gay *More Stockholm Video
*Bolt: "I have always said I am not unbeatable ... This is not one of those seasons when I am fully working hard."
*British Paper Explains Terrible Tax Laws Which Will Prevent Bolt-Gay Rematch Next Week
On The Boards: *TYSON GAY 9.83!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LRC Stockholm Distance Recap: Chris Solinsky Runs 12:55.53 As Galen Rupp Drops Out, Nancy Langat Wins Again, Chaos In Men's 800m World 10,000m leader Chris Solinsky ran another incredible race, this time a PR despite an erratic early pace. Galen Rupp was with Solinsky until the final 1,000m when he got knocked down. In the men's 800m, Abubaker Kaki suffered his second loss of the year (he dropped out too) as US wonderkid Andrew Wheating was well beaten (but he's got an excuse - he was caught up in the Kaki mess). The American women, two of whom have broken 4:00, disappointed in the women's 1,500m, as Nancy Langat showed she's the top 1,500m runner in the world despite never having broken 4:00.
*Stockholm Distance Video *RR: Solinsky Post-Race: "I've Just Got To Finish."
Stockholm Distance On The Boards: Stockholm 5000m thread.
*Solinsky proves not to be a one trick pony
*The Legend Of Solinsky Stars With This Photo
*Wheating Runs 1:46 for 2nd last in Stockholm!!!!!
The Only Must-Read In The Industry
LRC Week In Review: German Fernandez vs. Alan Webb vs. Leo Manzano Sure, it's the dog days of summer, but we devote much of our weekly recap a guy who hasn't raced in months - German Fernandez - and compare him to Webb and Manzano. Plus, we've got the African and European champs and a LetsRun.com mention in Sports Illustrated.
- Paul Doyle, Asafa Powell's Agent, Survives Plane Crash In Virginia His wife, former Irish sprinter Karen Shinkins, survived as well.
- More On Crash Landing With Photo Of Plane www.ajc.com
- Kara Goucher Back Running After Foot Surgery During Pregnancy She has surgery on her big toe. More on the surgery here.
- Terrence Trammell's 2010 Season Ends Due To Knee Ailment
From Over The Weekend
Deriba Merga Dominates Bogota Half Marathon As WR Holder Tadese Drops Out The race belonged to the 2009 Boston champ from the get-go.
Antonio Pettigrew Has Died The 1991 World 400m champ, who admitted to using drugs from 1997-2003, was found dead at the age of 42. He was most recently an assistant coach at UNC. We commend Pettigrew for admitting his drug use and for UNC for giving him a second chance.
On The Boards: RIP Antonio Pettigrew
*Career Facts On Pettigrew Eurosport Yahoo
*2008 Article On Pettigrew's Name Coming Out In Court ESPN
News, History British News - Farah, Coe And Yamauchi
Mo Farah Glowing After 10k/5k Double At Euros - Says He Can Medal In London 2012 Farah's wife went home alone from their honeymoon so he could stay and train in the mountains of Kenya.
*36-Year-Old Mara Yamauchi Announced For ING NYC Marathon Yamauchi so far is the biggest name to rival Shalane Flanagan and Deena Kastor. After a 2:23 career-best 2009 London performance, Mara tanked and got 10th in 2010. She will hope to continue the trend of older women marathoners having success in the top marathons.
*Yamauchi To Run BUPA Great North Run Paula Radcliffe was the last Briton to win the race back in '03. Portugese Jessica Augusto will race as the returning champ.
22 Years Ago - Seb Coe Excluded From 1988 British Olympic Team Father/coach Peter Coe thought it was a political decision.
Monday's Distance News
- Lisa Koll To OTC Portland
- Michael Rimmer Reinstated Into 2nd Place In Men's 800m At Stockholm The Americans Wheating and Symmonds will get a rematch this weekend versus Rimmer and Kaki in London.
- After Foot Surgery, Evan Jager Is Focused On 2011 2009 was the year of young phenoms Jager and Fernandez. 2010 was not.
- Nick Willis To Run This Weekend's Falmouth Mile Willis, the Olympic silver medallist, has missed most of 2010 after knee surgery but now is getting ready for the Commonwealth Games in October.
Update On Armstrong Probe: Long Profile On Jeff Novitzky (The Chief Investigator), Nike Admits To Being Contacted By Investigators Armstrong's lawyer questions whether this is a waste of taxpayer dollars. We don't think so since millions of kids look up to athletes.
Sunday's Action *Luzern Results *Gatlin Results
Luzern: Nesta Carter Defeats Walter Dix 9.86 To 9.88, USA's Morgan Uceny Runs 1:58.67 The runs were PRs for Dix and Uceny. Uceny went sub-2:00 for the first time in her last 800m and then was the top American in Stockholm in the 1,500m before this race. Last year's 800m star Maggie Vessey only managed a 2:02.
Discussion Of Uceny's 1:58.67!
Estonia: Justin Gatlin Comeback Race #2 A Win In 10.17 Photo and recap. Adam Nelson won the shot put.
Updated Post-Stockholm News *LRC Stockholm Recap *New Stockholm Photo Gallery
- Mark Kiptoo, Who Beat Solinsky In Stockholm, Is 34 And Started Running 5 Years Ago In case you were away this past weekend, Chris Solinsky ran 12:55 in Stockholm for 5k! We suggest you click here to read up on/watch Solinsky's 12:55 run in Stockholm.
- Bolt From The Blue But Bolt Is Still King Of Sprint World
- Juan van Deventer Came Up Short In Bid To Get South African 5,000 Record The former Olympic finalist thinks he'll get it (13:14) soon.
- A Look At The Great Young Sprinter Of 10 Years Ago - Mark Lewis Francis
- A Look At The Great Young (And White) Sprinter Of Today - Chrisitain Lemaitre
2009 World Cross Champ Gebre Gebremariam Comes From Behind To Win in 27:40 As Lineth Chepkuri Crushes Women's CR (30:59) Martin Lel ran 28:38 and was 7th as Khalid Khannouchi ran 33:10. Arkansas grad Shawn Forrest also impressed as
he led early and got the attention of Joan Benoit, who said he one day may be a strong marathoner.
*Top American Ben True Is Giving Up On OTC - Moving Back East To NH
*Libbie Hickman Recalls Near Miss From 10 Years Ago She reached the tape first but the finish line was just past it.
- WADA To Crack Down On Cycling (UCI) For Possible Drug Coverups Apparently cycling isn't cracking down when they find cheats and five guilty riders have been allowed to compete in the last year alone.
- *Jonathan Edwards' TJ Record Turns 15 On Sunday
*Recommended Read On Comeback Trail, Olympic TJ Champ Christian Olsson Remembers Edwards' Record Jump
Thursday's Top News
- Christian Cantwell Wins Downtown Stockholm City Shot Put As you can see from the video of Cantwell's bomb, the shot put for the DN Galan Diamond League meet in Stockholm was held in the city center with rock music. Hopefully a few more people will become fans of the sport. Results And Video
- After European Gold, Heptathlete Jessica Ennis Calls It A Season
Random/Somewhat Interesting News
- Dathan Ritzenhein And Haile G To Battle In Great Run (Half Marathon) In Sept Prior To Doing It Again In NYC
- Doping Way Up In India As Country Gets Ready For Commonwealth Games It's more than doubled since 2007.
Justin Gatlin's Comeback
Gatlin Runs 10.24 To Win First Comeback Race It's supposedly equilvalent to 10.21 without a headwind. Gatlin wanted to believe he could run 10.00 but he's probably a 10.10 guy right now at best.
*Discussion Of Gatlin's Comeback
Recommended Read: Sports Illustrated: From Heaven To Hell And Back Amazingly, Gatlin seems to be fine financially as he's still driving a Maserati.