No Surprises On 1st Day Of Kenyan Trials For African Championships All the favorites like Asbel Kiprop advanced.
Rebekah Noble, Oregon's Fleeting Star, Quietly Leaves Program She Once Set On Fire Ken Goe of The Oregonian catches up with the junior phenom who got injured and burned out after a 100% pursuit of the Olympics.
USATF CEO Doug Logan Talks About Giving More Funding To Young Runners He wants to bring the model that he and the MLS used to help build the current men's US soccer squad.
Recommended Read: Tim Layden Of Sports Illustrated Profiles Heavyweight Inspiration Chris Solinsky
Schumacher calls Solinsky's recent 5,000 "the dumbest 12:56 in history," Bairu says Solinsky could have gone 26:40 at Stanford, and everyone chimes in on how Solinsky is the biggest and most durable distance runner they've ever seen.
Boards Are Loving It: Alberto Compares Solinsky's Intensity To Lance Armstrong's
Interesting: Only 16 Men Faster Than Solinsky Over 5 And 10,000m Doug Binder and our friends at TrackFocus.com in Eugene looked at all-time 5,000/10,000m PRs and found only 16 guys who ran faster than Chris Solinsky's 26:59 and 12:56 in their careers (and at least one of them got banned for drugs).
Chicago Marathon Announces Davila, Lewy-Boulet, DeReuck As Top Americans Back in April, Chicago 1-upped New York on the men's side with Ryan Hall, but NY returned the favor, as Shalane Flanagan trumps the Chicago women.
LRC The Week That Was Last week was a light one in terms of new action, so we take a look back
at NCAAs, talk about the Great White Hope at 100 meters,
praise some high school 800 phenoms, including one bound for 'Nova, before dissing high school running in general, talk about "mechanical
doping" and then offer a $50,000 challenge to Anna Pierce.
iResults - New App Lets You Get Your iTime Instantaneously From Finish Line Volunteers Or iFamily iResults: They wait 30 minutes for you to finish the 5k ... you get your results immediately.
Bolt's Backwards 100? Wild Irishman elephant polo world champ Colin Carroll is trying to pull off the first edition of the Paddy Games and got in the news by saying he's talked to Usain Bolt about setting a Retro 100m WR.
Not Cheesy At All: Bret Michaels Headlines Entertainment At Rock 'n' Roll Vegas 'Thon
Anna Pierce Has Big Goals For 2010: Sub-3:57 And Sub-1:56 Her days as a steepler may be over for the most part, as she's finding "my speed is getting better the more I train my strength side, which is weird."
- Tyson Gay & Asafa Powell To Clash July 10th & Powell Is Talking Big: WR Is "Mine To Lose At The Moment" They'll race for the first time in 2010 in Gateshead.
- Usain Bolt Offered Nearly $1 Million To Race Australia's Rugby Stars In September We hope he does it and embarrasses the hell out of them. We're not sure if they are talking Australian dollars or US but $1 million Australian is still $711,491.
- UK Coach: Dwain Chambers Is Now UK Role Model All we can say is we normally dislike drug cheats but for some reason we love Chambers.
- A Day In The Life Of Tyson Gay: Gay Working On Nutrition To Reach Next Level He's hired a personal assistant who helps cook as Gay apparently used to eat out 21 times a week.
The 50th Anniversary Of The Mt. Washington Road Race
- 23-Year-Old Ethiopian Women Locks Shoes In Car/Borrows Shoes And Sets Course Record
- Colorado Men Do Well To Make US Mountain Team Colorado's Chris Siemers surprised two-time champ Art Siemers (also of CO) for the win. *LRC MB: Mt. Washington Road Race Thread
- 71-Year-Old Still Enjoys Racing
- 7-Time Champ & LRC Visitor Hodgie-San Was There Bob Hodge used to post a lot on our forums. He's got a great running history page here.
Absolute Must Read: Tyson Gay Tired Of Being In Usain Bolt's Shadow The Independent sent a writer from the UK to Florida to do a feature on Gay and it's a must-read in our minds. Learn what Gay has to say about Bolt, fatherhood and visiting his coach in jail. Plus coach Lance Brauman is unapologetic about what sent him to prison as he helped 30 Olympic athletes in the process.
*Usain Bolt Reaffirms That He's Not Running Commonwealth Games
Grandma's Marathon/Half *Searchable Results
22-Year-Old Ethiopian Wins Women's Marathon In 2:31 As 3-Time Champ In American Mary Akor Struggles To 4th Akor collapsed at the finish line. Next Up For Akor? Surgery On Friday To Remove Tumors
Philemon Kemboi Win Men's Marathon Kemboi, who has a 2:10:58 PR, picked up $10,900 in his US debut for running a time that is slower than Paula Radcliffe's world record for women as he won in 2:15:44. The race was run into a headwind or crosswind throughout.
Kenyans Sweep Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon The race served as a comeback for Fernando Cabada, who talked big before the race before finishing fifth in 1:05:55. The course record is 1:04:19 and the winning time was 1:04:24.
2008 World Jr. 10k Champ Josephat Bett Wins Race In Kenya
The article makes a big deal of how he's moving up to the senior ranks. We don't think a 12:57 guy will have too many problems.
NCAA Keeps Super Regionals For Next 2 Years Texas A&M coach Pat Henry and Oregon coach Vin Lananna probably aren't happy. But all it means to them is a week where one of their top people could screw up and not make nationals.
Good Reads For HS, College Kids Looking For Perspective
- Interview With Morgan Uceny, 4:04.1 At adidas Grand Prix College and high school kids, there are some great articles for you to read today. Uceny, Employee #1's former teammate at Cornell, talks about not making varsity her freshman year and making NCAAs the next. Teammate Anna Pierce tabs Uceny as the top American up-and-comer.
- Gabriele Anderson Overcomes Cancer, Runs To NCAA 1,500m Runner-Up Finish The quote of the day is about perspective. Now graduated, Anderson will run at USAs next weekend.
- Gary Reed Taking A Down Year Between Worlds And Olympics Will he be able to come back after a lighter year? It's not easy.
USAs Underway *Results/Start Lists *Live Video *Webcast/TV Schedule *Photos
LRC: Galen Rupp Reigns Supreme, Amy Begley Over Hometown Hero Lisa Koll
Galen Rupp waited until late to win over Ed Moran, and 2009 USA #1 Amy Begley sprinted away from 2010 NCAA star and Iowa hometown hero Lisa Koll. Most of the favorites advanced in the distance event prelims (but Khadevis Robinson did not start) and the big winner of the day was Emily Sisson over Jordan Hasay in the jr. 3,000. Plus Trevor Dunbar took control of the men's jr. 5,000 from way out.
*RRW Recap of 10ks: In Tactical Races: Rupp and Begley Repeat as USATF 10k Champs
*USATF: Day 2 Recap of the Junior Meet with Photos
USATFs on the boards: Jordan Hasay lost to Emily Sisson
*Can Rupp even count that as a tempo run?
*Hey OTC, Sit + Kick = Cheap, Boring
*What happened to Scott Bauhs?
More Thursday Action
*Sanya Richards-Ross (51.91) Smooth In Comeback
*RSpace: Video of Sisson/Hasay Duel
*Flanagan - Killing Time Before Marathon - Makes 1500 Final
LetsRun.com Previews 2010 USAs Day 1 Iowa favorite and now-pro Lisa Koll will challenge underrated Amy Begley in Thursday's 10,000m final, while Galen Rupp should get an easy win against and overmatched men's field. The 1,500s and women's 800 will also get underway. See our previews and predictions for the mid-d events, as they should be the best of the weekend in Des Moines.
*TV: Coverage Starts Friday 8pm Thursday's 10k finals will be online live along with any other non-televised event.
*Updated Entries Some of your contest picks may scratch an event late, so check in here if you want to be sure.
*Drake & Des Moines Excited To Host USAs
*Officials Expect Many Drake Stadium Records To Fall
Profiles Of People Running USAs
Great Read: Talented Acosta Rights The Ship And Reaps Benefits AJ Nation was probably having a bit too much fun early on in his college years but has gotten himself out of Vin Lananna's dog house with his new dedication (and he basically won his team a PAC-10 title this year). He's still got another year of eligibility and will run
the 1,500 at USAs.
Lisa Koll Signs With Peter Stubbs Management (PSM) As Agent All of Stubbs' athletes including Ritz, the Gouchers and Shannon Rowbury can be found here.
Robby Andrews' Parents, Coaches Trying To Take Things Slow Andrews will be running the Jr. 800 at USAs. Dad says listening to his wife and not taking Robby to USA Jr. Olympics events was the best advice he's ever gotten.
Lomong Determined To Help His Homeland He hasn't been running too well in 2010. He'll be in the 1,500 field, which is one of the best events at the championships.
Who's NOT Running? Solinsky, Ritz, Jeter, Gay, Crawford ...
Bizarre & Inspirational At The Same Time
Marathon Great Rob de Castella Believes Africans Can Be Beaten - By Indigenous Australians He's forming a team and taking them to the NY marathon. He's found one prospect whom the police have to drive 5km from town so he can train without being attacked by wild dogs.
Random Links Of The Day
- Sad News: Due To Heart Problems, Peter Snell Won't Be Able To Travel To New Zealand To Celebrate 50th Anniversary Of His Olympic Triumph On Sept. 2, 1960, tiny New Zealand won gold in the 800 and 5k within 60 minutes of each other thanks to Arthur Lydiard.
- ESPN Banned In Jamaica
- Jenny Barringer Talks About What It's Like To Train Inside The Air Force Academy
European Team Champs *Results *Final Team Standings
- Russia Dominates Day 2 Of European Team Champs As Yuriy Borzakovskiy Opens In 1:45.41 It was the first outdoor 2-lapper of the year for the 2004 Olympic champ.
- Throws Highlight Lower Leagues Of European Team Champs
- GBritain 2nd As Phillips Idowu, Michael Rimmer, Jo Pavey, Hannah England And Men's 4 x 400m All Get 2nd As Well
- Idowu Thinks Big Summer Is Upcoming For Him Despite 2nd-Place Showing Shockingly, world indoor record holder Victor Kuznyetsov got the win.
- Dwain Chambers Runs 9.99 To Beats France's GWH (Great White Hope) Chambers broke 10.00 for the first time since 2001 and came within .02 of his PR as he took home the title. The GWH failed to be the first white man under 10.00 but did run 10.02. *MBoard: White Man Runs 10.02
HS New Balance Nationals *Results *Stream
Day After Spliting 1:47.15, Chris FitzSimons Runs 4:05.7 To Lead Team To DMR Victory/HS Girls DMR Record Is Lowered To 11:31.26 FitzSimons
will be going to Nova next year.
Not Making This Up: HS Soph GIRL Splits 2:00.59 For 800 In Sprint Med
HS Soph BOY Splits 1:47.99
On The Boards: Ajee Wilson, sophomore from NJ, splits 2:00 on a relay leg. Could we see Kim Gallagher's legendary record go down soon? She is quite the talent, as we know from this thread: High School Sophmore Girl runs 2:04.94 800m and 4:43 1600m
Rosa Brothers Go 1-2 As Joe Rosa's 8:44 Crushes Fast-Starting Lukas Verzbicas In 2-Mile
5k Results (HS nationals in N.C.) Matt Mizereck (14:37) and Katherine Walker win 5,000s.
British Newspaper Says Tyson Gay Says False Start Rule Could Ruin Sprints The problem is Gay never said that. He is against the rule, however.
NCAA Awards - Oregon, Distance Runners Dominate
Coaches Name Lisa Koll NCAA Track Athlete Of The Year Koll set an NCAA 10k record and destroyed the fields at NCAAs. But what about this record setter?
Queen Harrison USATF Athlete Of The Week - Beaten By Koll In USTFCCCA Voting Hokie Queen Harrison became first woman to win both hurdles events at NCAAs.
Eaton And Whiting Named Co-Field Male Athletes Of The Year Can't argue with these 2 studs sharing the award.
*Wheating Named USTFCCCA D-1 Track AOY, Ducks Top Team
LRC Exclusive: An Inside Look At The After Effects Of The Rome Golden Gala Fiasco At 400 Meters With their focus on NCAAs, many Americans missed out on one of the more bizarre episodes in track and field history as four runners were nearly wiped off the track by the overheard television camera on the giant arm, which mistakenly swept onto the track in the middle of the men's 400.
What You Missed On Wednesday: Training Talk #9 With Featured Guest Tim Broe Broe was the best in the US 5k ranks earlier this decade and now is starting a new pro training group.
In Case You Missed It
Final Regional Analysis - We Show You The Hard Data And Argue For Pure Regionals
LRC Editorial: The Case For (Pure) Regionals By comparing regionals to the NCAA basketball tournament, we tell you why we think the Pure Regional system of qualifying for NCAAs is a winner and tell the BCS coaches to stop whining.
LRC Exclusive Unbiased Research Of Current And Proposed 24/8 Regional System: Men
LRC Exclusive Unbiased Research Of Current And Proposed 24/8 Regional System: Women
AJ Says He Didn't Let Wheating Have It (Some Disagree)
Kaki's 1:43.48 In Turin
Men's 1,500 Final - Oregon Thrills Fans With Sweep
Asafa Powell Leaving Nike Nike reportedly cut the less-marketable Asafa Powell's annual guarantee from $750k down to $300k and word is Li Ning of China is stepping in to add the currently on-form Jamaican to their Thorkildsen and Isinbayeva stable of track stars. Hard to believe, but Nike now won't represent any of the top 3 men's sprinters in the world.
*IAAF Chat: Powell Says Big Times And Big News Are Coming
David Rudisha's 1:42.04 Discussion Here
The Best Thread On LetsRun The Last 6 Months?
If Letsrun was around in the years before The American Revolution ...What Kind of Threads Would We See? Trust us - this thread is great. If you've seen a better one, email us.
Autographed Copies Of Best Efforts For Only $14.95 An epic running book.