65th Lake Biwa Marathon *Highlights *Results
Yemane Tsegay Wins Rainy Lake Biwa Marathon In 2:09:34 After the pack crossed half-way in 64:07, Ethiopian Yemane Tsegay broke away, running 2:54 km's and building a 1-minute lead by 30k before he began to slow considerably in the later stages.
*IAAF Recap w/ Top-10 Results Hendrick Ramaala finished out of the top-10.
Revenge Of The Nerds
Kyle Merber Becomes Second Sub-Four Indoors In Ivy League The deluge of Americans breaking 4 continues in 2010, as Columbia's Kyle Merber became the
3rd 2nd Ivy Leaguer ever to run sub-4 indoors (correction from previous info: Ben True's 3:59.99 was run outdoors in June of 2007)
with the win and all-time Ivy indoor best in 3:58.52, while LetsRun favorite, Maine's Riley Masters, went sub-4 again. It's pretty
much a certainty now that sub-4 NCAA milers will not make the NCAA indoor meet. 20 22 (and counting) NCAA runners are currently sub-4 this season. At least 12 14 of those seasonal bests were run on oversize tracks.
On The Boards: KYLE MERBER 3:58.5
*Notre Dame's Alex Wilson Invite Full Results
*UW Last Chance Meet Results U. of Minnesota's Ben Blankenship auto-qualified for NCAAs with a 3:57 win in the men's mile. Galen Rupp was 3rd in the mile in 3:58.79 and then an hour and a half later won the 800 in 1:50.64.
*2 Of Todd Harbour's Baylor Bears Run 1:48-low
*AJ Nation Auto Qualifies In Mile AND Beats Rupp
*IC4A Day 1 Results
*Notre Dame Alex Wilson Invite Results 9:37 gets 10th in DMR, Chris Barnicle runs best race of his career, winning the 5,000 by 7 seconds in 13:47.
Before We Forget - Tokyo Marathon Photos
*New LRC Content Photos From Bad Weather Tokyo Intl Marathon Despite terrible conditions, the toughest marathoners on the planet (that would be the Japanese) had 6 under 2:13:16.
Thanks to PhotoRun.net for the photos.
*Japan Running News' Excellent Race Recap And Results
*LRC Robert Johnson Talks Tokyo Marathon In LRC Week That Was Only 7 Americans ran 2:13:16 or better in 2009. 6 Japanese marathoners did it in tsumani conditions in Japan this weekend.
News From Kenya And Ethiopia - Bekele Scratches
- Daniel Komen Dares Kenenisa Bekele To Break His Record Komen wonders why Bekele talks in the press about beating his 7:24.90 indoor 3,000m world record. The Kenyan returns the favor with some bold words for Bekele.
- Kenenisa Bekele Again Scratches, Citing Injury For the 2nd-straight winter, injuries have slowed the world's best-ever track distance runner. Earlier this year, he pulled out of Birmingham and was beaten soundly in Edinburgh XC.
- Kenyans Choose Mateelong And Chepkurui As Team Captains While Coach Says Team Fitness Is At 65% The Kenyans are desperate to get their first men's senior long course title in 11 years.
- Earlier: Bekele And Lievin Race Promoters Talking 3,000m World Record
Melbourne Track Classic *Results
Kiprop Versus Willis Fizzles, Rudisha Drops 1:43.15 The highlight of the meet was supposed to be an Asbel Kiprop and Nick Willis 1,500m rematch. But Kiprop got clipped up and Australian Jeff Riseley was the winner in a more tactical 3:42.70 as Willis was third. David Rudisha, who ran 1:42.01 last year to end the season,
got his 2010 800 season off with a bang in an Australian all-comers record of 1:43.15, as LetsRun viewer favorite Ryan Gregson was 2nd in a distant 1:46.
More: *Inside Athletics Recap *IAAF Recap *Results
Team USA Announcements
- Team USA Announced For World Indoors Starting March 12 The US will send over 50 athletes to Doha, likely the world's largest team.
- Team USA Announced For NACAC Cross-Country
- US mid-d and distance runners going to Doha: Anna Pierce and Alysia Johnson (800), Erin Donohue and Sarah Bowman (1,500), Sara Hall and Desiree Davila (3,000), Galen Rupp and Bernard Lagat (3,000), Will Leer and Garrett Heath (1,500), Nick Symmonds and Duane Solomon (800).
- LRC Comment: A First? Desiree Davila, a Hansons-Brooks runner, is representing the US on the track. She ran for the US marathon team at the Berlin Worlds and ran great to get 11th.
Houston Get$ The Trials
LRC Exclusive Houston Marathon Trials Analysis: Follow The "Support"
We talked to Ed Torres, one of the two athlete representatives on the USATF committee that awarded both the men's and women's 2012 Olympic Marathon Trials to Houston. We wanted to find out the factors that led to Houston being awarded both of the Trials.
Opinion Divided: US Marathoners And Coaches Respond To "Houston x 2" Announcement Most of the runners don't seem to care too much who won and support Houston getting the Trials. Adam Goucher brings up a good point that the top athletes like Ryan Hall likely will give up a fall payday and a spring day to run the Trials, whereas in the past they would only give up one big payday. Plus a guy like Hall or Ritz might make more in appearance fees at a one marathon than they would from winning the Trials.
*LRC The Inside Story: How Houston Beat Out New York For The Right To Host The 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials Nine years ago, this once-proud race which had hosted the 1992 Olympic Marathon Trials and had Bill Rodgers as a former champion dropped prize money and seemed to be on its way to exiting the national stage. Now Houston is on top of the US running world. Read how it happened and get some more details on the 2012 Trials.
Seriously? World Record Talk - Bekele Back From Injury
- Bekele Returns From Injury To Race In Lievin 3,000m - Meet Preview Kenenisa Bekele got smoked in his only cross-country race this year and has had a calf injury for two weeks - and the race spokesman is still saying Bekele will be going for Daniel Komen's 7:24 indoor 3k world record against Frenchman Bob Tahri. Our bet: not a prayer.
- BBC Announces Haile G Will Not Rule Out Road 10k World Record In May He's almost a 40-year-old marathoner. If he breaks the world record ... well, we better not make any outrageous cash guarantees; we would never do that at LetsRun.com.
World Indoor Track Championships In Doha - March 12-14
Steeple WR Holder Shaheen Doesn't Make The Host Qatari Team Team coach says Shaheen is not ready to compete despite running 7:43 this year for 3,000m. According to IAAF stats, only
5 guys can compete at Worlds who have run faster
than Shaheen (Kenya is only allowed 2 entrants).
*World's Most Global Sport - 150 Countries Represented At Indoor Worlds We're still awaiting a full list of US team members.
*45-strong ... Russian Team For Doha Announced
*Compare To Kenya, Which Can Only Afford To Send 6 American-based Boaz Lalang is paying for himself to make their team 7. Paul Koech ran 13:02 for 5,000m indoors this year and didn't make the Kenyan team.
- Busted British Sprinter Under Same Coach As Christine Ohuruogu Coach Lloyd Cowan denies knowing anything about his athlete taking drugs and thinks it may be a mistake that clenbuterol got in his system while training in South Africa. Christine Ohuruogu, an Olympic champion who also trains under Cowan, was banned two years before the Olympics after missing 3 drug tests but claims it was all a misunderstanding.
- Recommended: Excellent Read: Article On Jama Aden, Coach Behind Abubaker Kaki And Ahmed Ismail Aden is now coaching the Qataris.
- Tulsa Still Going Forward With Their Dream To Host 2020 Olympics
- Pros Race In Lievin - Bob Tahri Beats Daniel Kipchirchir Komen Over 3,000m *Lievin Results
- Haron Keitany Talks About Challenging Deresse Mekonnen In World Indoor 1,500 Keitany has a nickname of "Land Cruiser."
Remembered For Great Contribution To The Sport
Long-Time West Coast Running Contributor Doug Speck Dies Of Melanoma
LRC Ed Torres Hangs Them Up Foot Locker XC, CU's 1st NCAA XC national title, and 3 US teams to his name.
LRC Training Talk #5 With John Cook John Cook, the coach of many of the US's top mid-d pros, including World Championships bronze medallist Shannon Rowbury, was our featured guest on Thursday and Cook was his entertaining
self throughout. No topic was off limits as we talked about his evolution as a coach, the role of drills and mileage, how not to get stress fractures, how big of a problem drugs are in the sport, and even the departure of Shalane Flanagan and Erin Donohue from his training group. Along the way, Cook also talked about many of the biggest names in the sport, including Abdi Bile, Galen Rupp, Alan Webb, Leo Manzano,
Alberto Salazar, Dan Pfaff, Peter Coe and others. Listen to the 75-minute podcast on the left or ...
Breaking News: Letsrun.com Has Learned How To Use iTunes There was champagne flowing in LRC headquarters this afternoon as we listened to Rojo interview John Cook on iTunes and our iPod.
*LetsRun.com Training Talk Main Page Find all the Training Talks here.
Darwin Award Candidate: British Hurdler Caught Taking Clenbuterol If you're dumb enough in this day and age to take a
steroid performance-enhaning drug like clenbuterol while being a citizen of a country that actually tests for drugs (aka not Russia), a 2-year suspension really should just be a lifetime ban.
Average Runners Offered Opportunity To Pay Money For Elite Treatment At NYC Half It's like upgrading to first class in an airplane except the money goes to fund NYRR's Youth Programs. Bids are up to $1,000
LRC Favorite Ezekiel Kemboi Will Retire From Steeple This Fall and Go For The Marathon He says he's going for the steeple world record first. Bravo if he gets it because Shaheen's 7:53.63 is no joke.
*Reminded Us Of This: LetsRun.com Video of Kemboi After Winning Gold In Berlin Kemboi was the guy who shaved the Nike symbol on his head.
Preview Of Paris Half Marathon
News And Notes
- Marilson Gomes dos Santos, Alistair Cragg And Gebre Gebremariam Added To Field At NYC Half Marathon The March 21 race will be streamed live on the internet and will be available to some live on television. Haile G. and Meb K. are among the other top entrants.
- Good News: Brief Chat With Serena Burla After Surgeons Removed A Malignant Tumor From Her Leg Burla says the surgery went okay and she thanks those who have supported her.
- 2009 NYC Marathon Champion Derartu Tulu To Race Yuri Kano and Others In Nagoya Marathon Derartu Tulu's surprise win in New York was as notable for her character during the race as it was for the fact that she won. Read about her urging on struggling Paula Radcliffe during the race here.
- Heptathlete Jessica Ennis To Return From Injury Just In Time For Worlds She'll face American Hyleas Fountain, who was injured last year when Ennis won the world heptathlon title in Berlin.
- South African Athletics Officials Now Facing Hearings On Wide Range Of Charges Leonard Chuene and Co. will face charges ranging from lying about Caster Semenya to financial dishonesty to physically abusing athletes.
Spanning The Globe's Running News
(KEN) Kenyans Upset That Women And Men Are Living And Training Together In Sports Hostel It's fine that they don't have electricity or running water, but it's not good that women were discovered living and training with men.
(JPN) Japan Running News Gives Us Great Interviews From 12 Time Zones Away - Interview With Arata Fujiwara At His Favorite Bar A good follow-up to The Week That Was, where we give Japanese marathoners a big Thumbs Up.
(GBR) Squabbles Over What To Do With London's $750 Million Olympic Track Stadium Continue Mo Money Mo Problems, baby. Reminded us of this: Athlete Recommends All Olympics Be Held In Switzerland To Cut Down Corruption And Wasted Billion$$
(KEN/ETH) Extended Profile On Kenyan Women Who Turned The Tables On Ethiopians Defar And Dibaba In 2009 A GREAT read on Vivian Cheruiyot and Linet Masai. Look for Cheruiyot to race Meseret Defar in Doha at 3,000m and Masai will go for the World XC title as a big favorite. Masai (above, winning a world title) looks like the perfect runner.
(AUS) Thursday In Melbourne: Willis vs. Kiprop In 1,500; Rudisha vs. Gregson In 800
(RSA) South Africans Vote In "Lying Chuene" Supporters To Track Governing Positions
(AUS) 800m Training Article - Quotes From Australia's Best Half Milers This article has some mid-d training advice. If you have more mid-d training questions, email us and listen to Training Talk V with top US coach John Cook on Thursday.
LRC The Week That Was In Running Feb 22-28, 2010 - This week we hand out praise to underdog US female runners, heavily-favored US male runners, Usain Bolt, Ryan Gregson, Martin Lel, Kim Smith and Japanese marathoners while we give a Thumbs Down to Kenya.
Along the way, we wonder why we can't purchase a Mercedes for less than a quarter and then we actually give out praise to the Boston marathon and wonder if they are finally narrowing the gap with London.
Next Big Meet - Melbourne Classic On Thursday
Hooker Hopes To Clear 6 Meters In Melbourne - Meet Preview The Age, Melbourne
*Thursday In Melbourne: Willis vs. Kiprop In 1,500; Rudisha vs. Gregson In 800 Inside Athletics (not IAAF, our apologies)
NZL's Nick Willis and Kenya's Asbel Kiprop both got moved up in the 2008 Olympics after Rashid Ramzi got "Dairy Queened." 1:42.01 man David Rudisha comes up to the 800 after a nice 400, while teenager Ryan Gregson moves down after his 3:35 PR in Sydney on Saturday.
*LRC Boards: Ryan Gregson 3:35
Visa Championship Series Winners Announced
Throwers Cantwell And Campbell Win $30k From Visa Thumbs Up to Visa for giving $100,000 in prize money to 6 top American track athletes. But the series needs some work (or re-naming), as in reality it's not a series at all. You earn money based on your best
single performance. Two of the women's prize winners (Carmelita Jeter and Debbie Dunn) only competed in 1 of the 3 series events. Bernard Lagat was the lone distance/mid-distance runner to earn money from Visa. He took 3rd and $5000 for his 13:11 American record in Boston and competed in all 3 events.
*Congrats To Unheralded Series Winner Amber Campbell (pictured left), who threw the 3rd-farthest weight throw in world history to win USAs.
*LRC Also Needs Fixing: Doug Logan And USATF Refuse To Convert Distance Times At Altitude In his explanation, Logan refers to 5,000 feet altitude in Albuquerque as "relatively moderate."
New Audio-Visual Aids
LRC Photos From 1st-Ever Mardi Gras Marathon And Half Marathon Check out Sammy Wanjiru's new moustache and the guy celebrating at the end
of the marathon
with a Bud Light in his hand. Also there's a lady racing and celebrating with either an iTouch or iPhone. *Mardi Gras Results
Cool New Media: Winter Olympic Musical - Listen To Difference Between 1st and 10th In Olympic Sports Thanks to our friends at Science of Sport for pointing out the site in their own interesting discussion of the tiny (but significant) margins of victory in elite races.
Teenage Runner Struck By Car At Night Dies From Injuries Robby Mayasich was handing water to a teammate during a relay race when he was struck.
Popular Threads the Last Week LetsRun
- ACC Men's 3000 DQ -- Cost VT the team title
- What are some of the biggest running myths?
- Chelsea King's body found in shallow grave
- Half of DII Nationals Mile/5000 Fields are from Adams State
- KYLE MERBER 3:58.5
- could bolt hold the 100, 200, 400 and 800 world records at the same time within the next 3 years?
- bolt 400l
- Anton Krupicka - The Annoying Hipster Runner
- POOR RENEE METVIER
- NRR - Brittney Griner on OTL...another Semenya?
Kyle Merber's Sub-Four (Larger Video Here)
Better Than Advertised: Video Of Usain Bolt's 43.58 Relay Split (Anchor Leg)
Usain Bolt On The 400m
"The 400 I don't want to do, but I think I'll do it in the future because my coach can be very convincing. And he'll find some argument for me to do it." Usain, how about this argument: you'll be the first man under 43. Watch MJ's 400m WR.
80-Year-Old Coaching Legend Joe Newton Talks (More Here)
Help Your Dreams Become Reality: LRC Training Talk - Listen To Our First Episodes