Quote Of The Day
“If you thought Monday’s announcement that there would be no more 5,000s on the Diamond League circuit was a dark day for distance running, this is MUCH, MUCH worse if you are US distance fan. To be honest, this might be the worst day for US distance fans that we can think of since LetsRun.com was founded in 2000 (ignoring tragic deaths).
“The reason the US Olympic Trials are so great is that the drama is so, so high and it basically represents the American Dream. America is known as the land of opportunity and that’s what the Trials are supposed to represent. It doesn’t matter if you are the reigning world champ or an unsponsored collegian – show up at the Trials, finish in top three and you are going to the Olympics.”
“How USATF doesn’t understand that is beyond us. We think firings should happen if this travesty of a decision stands.”
“Now the Trials are about what you did last year or last month and not what you did in that moment. One of the reasons why the college admissions scandal that broke this week is garnering so much attention right now is because it goes totally against the American Dream. People are outraged that people with inferior accomplishments were falsely being elevated. That’s what’s going to happen in the 2020 Olympic Trials if the rules aren’t changed.”
“If USATF doesn’t come to its senses, they honestly should have those with the standard to wear a special colored jersey or a sash – almost like a scarlet letter – so the fans will understand why the 9th place finisher in the 1,500 is jumping up and down after getting his or her ass kicked.”
– LRC’s Jonathan Gault and Robert Johnson writing about USATF’s decision that it will send athletes to the Olympics based on not whether they are top 3 at the Trials, but rather if they have hit the automatic qualifying standard. This could reward an athlete who hits the standard in 2019, but is not fit at the Trials in 2020.
- Cal Poly Track Team Suspended for Hazing and Drinking Even Though Non Drinkers Only Had To Do Pushups
- Beto O'Rouke apologizes for white privilege, runs 5K in 24:15 in Iowa
- Here's the video of Jimel Yimer celebrating early and costing himself potentially $75,000
- Time to rename the Prefontaine Classic? How can a DL meet be named after a 5000 runner?
- Sondre Moen happy to be healthy, looking for 2nd fastest half marathon ever on Sunday
- Gwen Jorgenson Status
- serious question: how do millennials have so much time to consume internet content?