Quote Of The Day
“I really enjoyed a lot of what Duke had to offer, and was extremely grateful for the opportunity to attend such a prestigious school on a scholarship. That being said, I took issue with elements of the Duke undergrad culture, which I don’t think always created a healthy atmosphere on campus especially for young women. The Greek life (frats and sororities) is extremely visible, and there are very pervasive expectations about how students should act (dress, speak, conduct themselves) based on gender. By the end of my time at Duke, I thought that if I saw one more poster for an on-campus frat party with a ‘pimps and hoes’ or ‘bosses and slutty secretaries’ theme, I would lose my mind. This was just one example of the kind of daily, in-your-face sexism that was very hard to escape.”
– Kate Van Buskirk, collegiate record holder in the 1k and 2013 Canadian WC team member, talking about her experience at Duke. *Discuss this Kate Van Buskirk thread in our forum.
- Fukuoka this weekend. Who do you pick to win?
- Check your 2013 LRC NCAA Contest Powered by RunFanShop.com Scores
- By the end (at Duke), if I saw one more poster for an on-campus frat party a “pimps and hoes”, I would lose my mind.
- Kawauchi 2:09:05 for 3rd @ Fukuoka
- Wife and I put up our xmas tree today. When do you put up your tree?