2013 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Is Sunday
The Inside Scoop
LRC 5 Takeaways From Thursday's One-On-One Interviews: Mosop Is Healthy And Fit, Tadese Is Ready For Another Crack At 26.2, Kimetto And Abshero Are Confident, And Kogo Hopes He's Ready For Uncharted Territory We broke down the race earlier for you on you on paper, but you never know what really to expect until you get the inside scoop on-site. We've got it and you can as well if you read our piece. Plus was there a fix at the 2012 Berlin Marathon?
LRC Men's Preview: Who Will Emerge In Loaded Men's Field? Do Americans Tegenkamp And Ritzenhein Have A Chance? Marathon studs Moses Mosop (2:03:06), Dennis Kimetto (2:04:16 debut, Tokyo win), Ayale Abshero, Emmanuel Mutai and Micah Kogo are all in Chicago for this Sunday's Bank of America Chicago Marathon. Plus, you've got world record holder in the half marathon Zersenay Tadese and then there is American Dathan Ritzenhein and Matt Tegenkamp in his debut. Plus you've got the Kenyan "Ritz" in the field. We break down the men's field for you and will have more later from today's press conference.
*Article On Matt Tegenkamp From Chicago Tribune
News From Europe
- Awesome Idea: School Kids Age 11-13 In Britain Will Attack Kipsang's 2:03:23 Across Country In 200-Meter Relays
- Lottery Funding To Be Cut For A ll UK Athletes Unless They Can Prove They Are A Potential Medallist Memo to UK bureaucrats: If they are able to prove they are a potential medallist, they probably don't need funding. Lisa Dobriskey and Jenny Meadows are vulnerable.
- European Athletics Awards Gala Will Be Streamed Live On Saturday - Starts At 12:10pm ET
- A Look At The Leading Men For The European Athletics Athlete Of Year Award
- Sprint Hurdler Louise Wood Hopes 2014 Commonwealths Help Her Make Up For Snapping Her Achilles Prior To 2012 Olympics
- Study Suggests Accountability To Teammates Is A Deterrent To Athletes Doping This certainly is true now that it's no longer acceptable to dope.
- Recommended Read: My Doping Hell: Very Long Feature On Comeback Of 58:46 Man Matthew Kisorio, Who Is On Comeback Trail From Doping Ban The piece is interesting but we don't like how Kisorio acts like the doping is something that just spontaneously happened to him.
Kim Smith Favored To Win Second B.A.A. Distance Medley Title And $100,000 On Sunday At BAA Half Marathon To everyone who says money
is why track and field isn't
more popular, this series has disproved that.
*Interesting Random Facts About Kim Smith She never goes to the gym or does ice baths but averages 110 miles per week.
*Saturday's BAA Half Marathon Pro Field Announced: Stephen Sambu Leads Men's Standings To Win $100,000 Lelisa Desisa and Gebre Geremariam are the headliners in the men's field but not eligible for the $100,000 bonus.
News From The UK
- Mo Farah Says Living With Kenyans Was Key To His Success
- After London Marathon Debut, Mo Farah Wants To Pick Up The Medal$ At Commonwealths/Europeans
- Farah's Autobiography Reveals He Once Fought A Guy In A London Park As He Wouldn't Move His Car Away From The Running Path
- Adam Gemili Dumps Coach So He Can Train With James Dasaolu He's dumped the coach
that got him to 5th at WCs at age 20 for a guy who guided Dasalou to last at age 26.
*Athletics Weekly Cover Story Of Adam Gemili
- Jonathan Edwards' Old Coach Gives You His 4 Keys To Being A Great Coach 1. Listen. 2. Have empathy. 3. Solve the (technical) puzzle. 4. Be patient.
- Women Lead Short List For Scottish Athlete Of Year Award
News From Jamaica
- Glen Mills Is Irate That The Media Thinks Jamaica Is Lax About Drug Cheats If there is nothing to hide, then what's wrong about having to pee into a cup?
- Kerron Stewart Is Returning Home To Jamaica For Training, Will No Longer Be Guided By Man Who Coached Her For Her Whole Career, Henry Rolle
- Study: Mental Toughness Accounts For 14% Of Running Performance
- Lance Armstrong's Not Surprised: Many Psychologists Stunned That Many People Get A "High" From Cheating A recent study came out entitled "The Cheater's High: The Unexpected Affective Benefits of Unethical Behavior."
- Unreal: NYRR's 1st President Ted Corbitt Once Did 300 Miles In Six Days At Age 82 Want to learn more about the distance running pioneer? Check out the new http://www.tedcorbitt.com/ which launced last week.
- Sherone Simpson Now Training With Loren Seagrave At ING Academy In Florida There is more to this story. Simpson and Asafa Powell tested positive and former coach Stephen Francis said he wouldn't work with her unless she left agent Paul Doyle. She didn't.
- Good Read: Phil Coppess Remembers That Magical Day 28 Years Ago When He Ran The Still-Standing 2:10:05 Course Record At Twin Cities
More Action From Last Weekend
- Incredible: 47-Year-Old Zola Budd Ran 17:47 And Won Collegiate XC Race: HBCU Challenge Pretty amazing. Her daughter did well in the Race of Champions. Youngsters, Budd was very famous/infamous at the 1984 Olympics. *MB: Message Board Thread On Zola Budd
- 20-Year-Old Riko Matsuzaki Wins Japan's First Gold Medal In 5k At East Asian Games In 16:09.72
- Unknown 27-Year-Old Erick Ndiema Wins Family Bank Half Marathon In Eldoret At Altitude In 62:55 The self-coached runner has been running for just 4 years.
- Mercy Kibarus Upstaged World Half Marathon Bronze Medalist Pascaliah Jepkorir In Women's Race (70:51)
- Coming This Weekend: Saturday's BAA Half Marathon Pro Field Announced: Kim Smith And Stephen Sambu Lead Standings To Win $100,000 Lelisa Desisa and Gebre Geremariam are the headliners in the men's field but not eligible for the $100,000 bonus.
- MB: Chicago Marathon Predictions for Ritz and Teg
- 3 Kenyans, Including Last Year's Third Placer Duncan Koech, Are Going For Cologne Course Record Of 2:07:37
NCAA XC *All Weekend NCAA XC Results
- Oregon's Dellinger Invite: High School Junior Alexa Efraismson "Ambushes" The College Women
To Take The Individual Title Over Boise State's Emma Bates At The Dellinger XC Invy It was a close race as Efraismson and Bates both clocked 16:35.
*DyeStat Article On Efraimson's Win, Which Is Believed To Be The Fastest Ever By A Washington Girl In A XC Race
- Oregon Men Win At Home At Dellinger XC Invy, Led By 2nd-Place Finish By Edward Cheserek Washington's Aaron Nelson was the overall winner in 23:55. Alan Webb was also in the race, finishing in 24th place in 24:46.
- Washington Women Take Team Title At Dellinger XC Invy, Beating Oregon By 22 Points
*Full Men's Results *Women's Results *Men's/Women's Race Splits From Dellinger Invite
- MB: HS junior - Alexa Efraimson - wins Dellinger Invitational
- Paul Short: Abbey D'Agostino Dominates Women's Paul Short Race, Winning By 26 Seconds It was a great day for Dartmouth as the unranked teams were second in both races, with the women ahead of #10 Cornell and #12 Villanova and the men ahead of #20 GTown.
- Georgetown Women Win Paul Short XC Over Dartmouth, Villanova And Cornell
- Indiana Men Win Team Title At Paul Short As Harvard's James Leakos Gets Individual Win
- Extreme Heat At Paul Short Puts 18 In Hospital With 150 Sent To Medical Tent Half the day's races were actually cancelled due to the extreme heat.
- MB: Great Day for Dartmouth
*Women Gold Results *Men Gold Results *All Paul Short Race Results
- UC Santa Barbara Lagoon Open: LAURA HOLLANDER 16.36 Opener XC Race
- Notre Dame: Florida State Women Win Notre Dame Invitational Over New Mexico, Led By 2nd-Place Finish By Colleen Quigley Duke's Juliet Bottroff was the individual winner.
*Full Women's Results
- 30th-Ranked Columbia Men Win At Notre Dame, Beating 7 Teams Ranked Ahead Of Them Columbia ran as a strong pack with their first 3 runners only separated by .9 seconds. UTEP's Anthony Rotich won individually in 24:18.
*Columbia Head Coach Willy Wood On Men's Notre Dame Win: "This was probably the greatest win in the history of our program. I could not be more proud of our guys."
*Flotrack Interview With Columbia Men's Team
*Full Men's Results
Discuss: 2013 Notre Dame Invite
- Louisville: Louisville Men Win At Home At Their Greater Louisville Classic On the women's side, Kentucky and Texas A&M tied for first.
*Men's Results *Women's Results
- Also NCAA-Related: Texas Monthly Takes A Very Long Look Inside The Firing Of Texas Head Track Coach Bev Kearney
2013 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Is Sunday
LRC Women's Preview: Which 2:22-23 Woman Will Win On Sunday? The women's field has no overwhelming favorite, but has seven 2:22-2:23
women, including the two who gave us a thrilling sprint finish. What about the Americans?
*Philip Hersh: Illinois Sr. And Wheelchair Racer Tatyana McFadden Hoping To Finish Off Boston, London, Chicago, New York Grand Slam Before Heading To Winter Olympics She's a GREAT story but also prime example #1 as to why the Paralympics shouldn't be viewed as anything close to the equivalent of the regular Olympics as it's way less competitive. Imagine a runner running all four majors and then skiing in the Olympics.
*Guide To Chicago Marathon Restaurant Deals
*Excitement "Over The Top" In Chicago For Marathon
*Increased Security Will Be In Effect For Sunday's Chicago Marathon
The Week In Review
LRC WTW: Zola Budd, Running Models, Veronica Campbell-Brown, Twin Cities Past And Present, Guelph, And Bad College Sports Publicity This week we praise college XC winners old (Zola Budd) and young (Alexa Efraimson), talk about the juggernauts of Canadian collegiate XC, talk about Twin Cities winners past and present, and tell the Yale and Lousiville Sports Info departments that our sport deserves better. Since we had to be a little shorter than normal to get ready for Chicago, we leave you with photo album full of Oiselle models, including Kate Grace and Lauren Fleshman.
News About Other Upcoming Marathons
- In Half Marathon, Even If It's Hot, If You Just Drink When Thirsty, You'll Be Fine
- Yuki Kawauchi Ahead Of Sunday's Melbourne Marathon: "Some 2:07 athletes will be there, so I'm really looking forward to it. I'm going there to win."
- Eindhoven Marathon Director Hoping To Become 7th Marathon With 2:04 Course Record This Weekend He's removed 8 turns from the course to make it faster. Current CR is 2:05:46. Houston winner Bazu Worku is one of the leadinug entrants.
- Melbourne: Yuki Kawauchi Running 8th Marathon Of Year In Melbourne This Weekend - Where He Is Race Favorite He's got New York 3 weeks later.
- New York In November: A Look At New York Runners Wesley Korir's Charity Endeavors
- Toni Reavis And Sam Grotewald Debate Whether Geoffrey Mutai Can Break NYC Marathon Course Record In 3 Weeks Reavis says no: "... in the 29 years between Salazar's 2:08:13 and 2010 (the year before Mutai), the record over the five-borough course had only come down by 30 seconds. This leads me to believe that Mutai's 2011 performance in NYC, like his 2:03:02 in Boston that spring, is a one-off type performance that may last longer than any previous New York City Marathon record."
- London 2014: Mary Keitany's Baby Is Now 5 Months Old, She Hopes To Return To Serious Training By January And Be Ready For London
- Recommended Read: Great Q&A With Annie Bersagel The former Fullbright scholar just
PRed by 13 minutes to win the US Marathon Champs in 2:31. Not bad for a woman who just got out of Stanford law school and works a full-time job.
*MB: Memo to all who say lack of sponsors is stopping you from being great: A Fulbright scholar and lawyer just won US champs
- More Twin Cities News: 58-Year-Old Christine Kennedy Ran 2:58 At Twin Cities - Missed Age 55-59 World Record By 6 Minutes
- Upcoming Marathons - Toronto: Kenya's 2:06:58 Man Henry Sugut Is Hoping To Break 2:07:58 CR In Toronto Next Week
- New York: 2:25 Marathoner Lisa Stublic's Relatives Wanted Her To Gain 22 Pounds So She Could Get Married
- Former 200-400 Sprint Star Marie-Jose Perec Is Running New York City Marathon Next Month At Age 45 She won Olympic gold in 1992 and two more in 1996.
News From Down Under
- Olympic Hurdles Champion Sally Pearson Splits With Coach Sharon Hannan After 14-Year Fling
- Interesting Interview With 2-Time Olympian And Now Coach Chris Wardlaw, Who Hopes Craig Mottram Makes Olympics #5 In 2016 He says Mottram is "keen" to run the marathon and Wardlaw says Mottram has "cadence and relaxation" needed to be successful.
- Australia's Oldest Olympian Basil Dickinson Has Died At Age 98 The triple jumper refused to give Hitler a Nazi salute in 1936.
- Color Run Has Been Exported To Australia
- Zola Budd's Daughter Is A Star In South Carolina HS XC *Discuss
- Olympic PV Champ Renaud Lavillenie Blogs About His 6,700-Point Decathlon At End Of The Year
- Japan Picks Up More Golds In Distance Events At East Asian Games (14:25 Won The Men's 5k)
- Egypt's 100m Hurdles Record Holder Says Lack Of Training Facilities Is Hurting Egyptians' Times
- A Look At 10 Track Athletes That Have Appeared On Dancing With The Stars Around The Globe
- WADA Is Worried That World Cup Start Next Year And Rio Drug Lab Has Lost Its Accreditation
Not Everyone Enjoyed A Successful 2013
- Q&A With Dan Huling, Who Calls 2013 Season An "Extreme Disappointment" Huling joined Evan Jager's training group this year.
- Aussie Miler Ryan Gregson Is Still Only 23 And Looks Back At 2013: "I had a bit of a down year."
Stupidity In Britain
- Phillips Idowu Pleads Guilty To Drunk Driving, Loses License For 2 Years, Gets £145 Fine He was nearly 2.5 times the legal limit and loses his license for 2 years and gets a £145 fine. A domestic disturbance with the cops apparently caused him to get in his car.
- Brits Are Taking Seriously Idea That Mo Farah Can Break 2 Hours In The Marathon The talk is crazy. Mo Farah running sub-3:30 was shocking but sub-2:00 is a whole different planet.
- More News From Britain: Puma Exec Bill Sweeney Appointed Head Of British Olympics
NCAA XC News
- Nice Read: Running Times Tells You Everything You Need To Know About Last Weekend's NCAA D1 XC Action
- Daily Relay's Weekly XC Recap
- USTFCCCA Looks Back With Its Athletes Of The Week
- Oct 7 NCAA Regional Rankings - Columbia Men Jump 3 Spots To Top Of Northeast
- Tom Heinonen And 1987 Oregon NCAA XC Champion Team To Be Inducted Into University Of Oregon Athletic Hall Of Fame
- More NCAA News: NCAA May Add Triathlon As A Women's Sport
Non-Twin Cities Weekend Results: Haile G Wins In Scotland
- Great Scottish Run: Haile Gebrselassie Wins Great Scottish Run Half In CR 1:01:10 Over 2012 10k World Leader Emmanuel Bett (1:01:41) UK's Chris Thompson was 5th (1:04:49) and Scotland's America-based Andrew Lemoncello was 6th (1:04:55). GB's Susan Partridge won the women's race in 1:10:40.
- Pre-Race: Daily Record: Olympic Legend Haile Gebrselassie Not Ready To Put His Feet Up Yet "I don't come into any race wanting to come second. At the Great North Run, I was standing between Mo and Kenenisa and I was asked which would be the winner. I was looking at the person thinking: 'do you think I'm in this to be behind them?' I always look to be in front."
- Lisbon Marathon/Half: Former World Half Marathon Champ Wilson Kiprop Wins Portugal RnR Half In CR 1:00:19 Eritrea's World XC bronze medalist Teklemariam Medhin was 3rd in 1:02:05 as Imane Merga was back in 5th (1:02:40) with Tariku Bekele farther back in 8th (1:03:21) and World 10k silver medalist Ibrahim Jeilan making a poor half debut in 11th (1:04:37).
Italy's World Marathon silver medallist Valeria Straneo won the women's race in 1:09.21. In the accompanying marathon, Kenya's Paul Lonyangata won in a Portuguese soil record of 2:09:46 with Ukraine's 9-time Euro XC champ Serhiy Lebid 2nd with 2:11:24 in his debut. Agnes Kiprop took the women's title in 2:31:15.
- Other: Ryan Vail Wins San Jose Half Marathon In 1:02:46; Fernando Cabada 2nd In 1:03:14 Natasha Wodak won the women's race in 1:14:39.
- 2011 Boston Champ Caroline Kilel Wins Kenya Airways Masai Mara Half Marathon Leonard Lang'at won the men's race. This race had an interesting prize as five from this race get sponsorship to run in the 2014 London Marathon.
- World Half Marathon Bronze Medallist John Mwangangi Wins Paul Mulei Half Marathon In Kenya In 1:03:30 Mutheu Kamakya Mutuku won the women's race in 1:14:52.
- Patrick Kiptanui Korir Wins Slovakia's International Peace Marathon In 2:09:36 As The Top 3 Were Only Separated By 9 Seconds IAAF Ethiopia's Ashete Dido won the women's race in a CR 2:27:47.
- JapanRunningNews Japanese Track And Road Weekend Roundup You can watch a video of Yuki Kawauchi shaking the hands of pretty much the entire half marathon field in a tune-up race he was doing for NYC.
- Eritrea's Yossief Tekle And Azeria Teklay Win The International Smarna Gora Mountain Running Race
News From Africa
- Newly-Minted World Marathon Record Holder Wilson Kipsang Will Run 15k On Dec 1
- World XC Champ Japhaet Korir Racing Asbel Kiprop In A 12K XC Race This Saturday In Kenya Boston marathon winner Rita Jeptoo and world marathon silver medalist Priscah Jeptoo are in the women's race.
- AK Boss Isaiah Kiplagat Orders Kenyan Marathon Organizers To Do Away With Race-Day Registration Apparently day-of registration at an event last week caused the race to start very late.
- Security At Stanchart Nairobi Marathon Stepped Up In Wake Of Westgate Mall Terrorist Attacks
- More SA Blunders: Previously Uncancelled 2013 Soweto Marathon Is Now Officially Cancelled
- Jamaican VCB Supporter Scolds "Cynics" That Got Angry When She First Tested Positive
- Ramone McKenzie, The 2007 World Youth 200-Meter Champion, Has Left Lance Brauman And Returned To Jamaica To Move Up To 400
- After Hamstring Issues Derailed Him In 2nd Round Of Moscow, Batman Vows To Fly Again, Irrepressible Bershawn Jackson Vows Full Recovery
- Texas A&M Heptathlete Annie Kunz Is Even Better At Soccer Than Track
- Chinese Athletes Dominate Home East Asian Games
- Race For 2019 Pan American Games To Go To Lima, Peru Or Santiago, Chile
3 Years After Finishing In Top 25 At NCAAs, Richmond Struggling In Cross-Country Now That Track Has Been Cut At School Coach Steve Taylor is finding it next to impossible to recruit for cross-country only. Maybe Dave Smith has some ideas.
News From Indiana
- Dog Gets Loose, Runs Half Marathon In Indiana And Becomes Internet Celebrity
- De'Sean Turner Is Now Part Of Team Indiana Elite
October Is Hispanic Heritage Month: ESPN Remembers Ana Guevera Winning Mexico's 1st-Ever Track Global Gold Medal In 400 At 2003 World Champs With 48.89
US Marathon Champs Were Sunday At Twin Cities *Marathon Results *10k Results *5k Results
- Nick Arciniaga Wins Close Men's Race For First Marathon Win And USA Title; Annie Bersagel Takes Women's Title Comfortably It was a super-close one on the
men's side as Arciniaga outkicked Josphat Boit for the title.
*Pioneer Press TCM Photo Essay
- Recommended Read: Toni Reavis Looks At The Money Situation In American Running And How US Runners Don't Have The Same Risk/Reward Incentive As Kenyans Reavis points out how in Kenya "even a modest payday at a prize money race ran change one's quality of life significantly" while in the US it might be the difference between "living with three roommates to renting an apartment alone for a year."
- Recommended Read: St. Paul Pioneer Press Story On Twin Cities Marathon Men's CR Holder Phil Coppess, Who Set The Record In 1985 At 2:10:05 While Working Full Time In A Factory And Raising 3 Kids There is actually someone in LA right now making a documentary and hoping to eventually make feature-film movie on Coppess' life and record run. Coppess also won the 1982 Chicago Marathon, beating out Olympic champion Frank Shorter and Olympian Garry Bjorklund.
- DownTheBackStretch Men's Recap Arciniaga actually let the leaders go for a time, saying that he had hamstring issues throughout the race and thinking it might even tear, but was able to get through it and reel everyone back in.
*DownTheBackStretch Women's Recap
*Good Play-By-Play Recap From USATF *Organizer Press Release *Star Tribune Marathon Race Story And Photos *MB Thread
- Mbarak Hussein Wins Men's US Masters Champs In 2:20:20; Sheri Piers Wins Women's In 2:38:33
- Jonathan Grey And Danielle Stack Kick Off Twin Cities Marathon Weekend With New Course Records At The TC 10K (29:58 And 35:21) Andrew Calrson won the TC 5K Run/Walk in 14:46.
*10k Results *5k Results
- We Need More Of This: Twin Cities In Motion Reaffirms Elite Athlete Support Executive Director Virgina Brophy Achman said, "We have four pillars in our mission and the sport is one of those pillars. We've had a long-standing position since the '80s when we began supporting post-collegiate athletes."
Mo Farah News
- "Ambitious" Is One Way To Put It: Seb Coe Says Mo Farah's Bid To Break 2 Hours In The Marathon Is "a very, very ambitious aim." "To put that into perspective and to understand what that means, go down to your local running track, run a lap in under 70 seconds, and then continue for 105 laps. You get the scale of what we are talking about."
- Good Read: Excerpt From Mo Farah's Autobiography Talking About His Childhood And Dealing With His 12-Year Separation From His Twin Brother Hassan "Twelve years is a long time to be away from someone you love. It's hard to describe the joy of that moment [seeing his brother again]. It felt like a part of me had been missing the whole time I had been growing up ... At last, the void in my life was gone."
Don Valley Replacement Stadium Woodburn Road Opens In Sheffield, Hometown To UK's Jessica Ennis The stadium had £325,000 worth of improvements that were needed to make it fit for training and competition after a period of non-use.
VCB / Doping News
- European 5,000m Champion Olga Golovkina Becomes 32nd Russian Athlete This Year To Test Positive For Drugs
- Interesting Read That Asks Some Good Questions: Jamaica Gleaner: Is A Public Warning For VCB Punishment Enough? "My question is, does a public warning really make sense? A public warning is not 'punishment.' It's essentially saying, we won't punish you now; be careful, or else. But if the panel believes you are guilty, a public warning essentially gets you off scot free."