The Week That Was/Truth Stranger Than Fiction
LRC Week In Review Mark Twain once said that truth is stranger than fiction and last week in terms of Chris Lukezic and Caster Semenya, that certainly proved to be the case. In terms of men's and women's 1,500s, the truth of the world's best two milers getting clobbered at the Continental Cup may seem to be stranger than
fiction but we tell you why in reality, upsets should be expected as they are the name of the game in tactical 1,500s. All of that plus talk of Arthur Lydiard, Peter Snell, Bernard Lagat, Sean Quigley, Justin Gatlin and gene doping.
Usain Bolt's Book Gets Rave Review For Its Marital Advice
Not A Surprise
South African Olympic Committee's Report Accuses Athletics President Leonard Chuene Of "Gross Misconduct" In Caster Semenya Affair
*South African Committee Snubs South African Parliament
Labor Day Road Action *Va Beach Recap *New Haven Recap
Sean Quigley And Magdalena Lewy Boulet Win US Titles At Stratton Faxon New Haven 20k Sean Quigley got his first US title and $8,000 in his first race over 15k as he triumphed over Mo Trafeh. Olympian Magdalena Lewy Boulet won the women's title
over unheralded Stephanie Rothstein.
*On The Boards: Deep field at New Haven 20k on Monday. Predictions?
Off The Road: Team USA Men Finish 2nd At World Mountain Running Champs
Off The Beaten Path: Michael Wardian Comes Up 52 Seconds Short Of $15,000 At Kauai Marathon
Previous: Rock 'n' Roll Virginia Beach:
Songoka (KEN) And Ogi (JPN) Win Coolest Rock 'n' Roll Va Beach In History Cool temps in the mid-60s were a gift to runners. 2009 Philly champ and Employee #1 vanquisher John Crews was the top American male in 9th (66:23) as he prepares for Baltimore in October.
More: *Linet Masai Wins Hyde Park 5k In 15:06 With Twell At 15:32, Pavey 15:53
Just [Don't] Do It
USAIN BOLT THREATENS TO PULL A JORDAN AND BECOME PRO SOCCER PLAYER
*Telegraph: Usain Bolt Wants To Play Pro Soccer After 4 More Years Of Running
*Bolt's Book Is Out: Excerpt - Bolt: "If there were medals for partying I'd have won them all."
Another Quality Photo: Arkansas Top 5 Cross Line Hand-In-Hand: One-Page Recap Of Opening Weekend NCAA XC Results USTFCCCA put together this page which allows you to see what Oregon, Stanford, Washington, Arkansas and others were up to in this weekend's opening
glorified practices races.
A Look Back/Forward
- Kipketer Says Rudisha May Be Able To Go Sub-1:40 Rudisha is running the Continental Cup on Sunday.
- David Rudisha The Star Of 2012? The article also talks about James Templeton, Rudisha's agent, discovering Rudisha in 2005.
- Kenyan Editorial: Diamond League Needs Rethinking
- London And Chicago Champ Shobukhova To Face Mikitenko In Chicago To Likely Decide World Marathon Majors Title NY has Geb but Chicago did a great job with its fields on both the men's and women's fields.
- 2:04:48 Man Patrick Makau Headlines 2010 Berlin Marathon
- This Week's Sign Of The Apocalypse Retired American Star Chris Lukezic Is Banned For Refusing To Take A Drug Test On 4/20 For those of you that aren't hip, 4/20 is national Weed Day. *LRC MBoard On The Former Hoya's Ban
- Drug Cheat Justin Gatlin Runs 9.81 - Wait, Make That 10.15 The clock stopped at 9.81 and confused everyone for a brief moment.
- A Comparison Of All Of Gatlin's Runs On His Comeback
- WADA Reports Gene Doping Test May Be In Place For 2012 Games Two groups of scientists have developed separate tests, one of which can detect gene doping as far back as 56 days. Concerns are already high that gene therapy may have crossed over from legitimate medical applications to the world of performance enhancing for sports.
- 6 Indian Athletes, Including 1 Gold Medal Prospect, Banned For Drugs
- Shot Putter Milan Haborak Banned For Life After 2nd Doping Positive Haborak was caught for stanozolol, the same relatively crude steroid Ben Johnson was busted for back in 1988.
- 21-Year-Old British Hurdler Banned
"Niggles" And Successful Year Cause Mo Farah To Pull Out Of Commonwealth Games The concept of getting slaughtered by Kenyans probably didn't help things either.
NCAA XC Is Here
LRC 2010 NCAA Cross-Country Pre-Season Polls: Stanford And Villanova On Top It should be a great year on the XC fields across America, as a lot of teams on both the men's and women's teams think they can contend in Terre Haute. On the men's side, Stanford, Oklahoma State, Oregon and NAU
all have a ton of guys back. Villanova is a stronger #1 on the women's side, but the UW Huskies will want to have something to say about that along with LRC fan #2 Oregon.
*Stanford XC Hoping To Return To Top paloaltoonline.com
*Wisconsin Looking For Its 15th Straight Year In Top 10 At NCAA XCs madison.com
*USTFCCCA Pre-Season Coaches Polls Released Stanford and Villanova #1, as in the LRC polls.
50 Years Ago Thursday - The Sport Was Changed Forever - Lydiard's Boys Won Double Gold For Tiny New Zealand
- Peter Snell & Murray Halberg Remember How They Changed The Sport Forever 50 Years Ago Thanks to their hard work and Arthur Lydiard, distance training was changed forever as high mileage came into play.
- Lydiard Had Special Knack For Getting Best Out Of Athletes Not only did he revolutionize training, he also was good psychologically.
- Snell & Halberg Remember 50 Years Later
- Snell Recalls Rome 800 Gold As His Finest Moment *Old School Race Video *Modernized Video
- Mindful Of His Mortality, Snell Stays In Dallas, TX On Historic Day
Gatlin & Drugs
Justin Gatlin: "Guilty or not, I've turned the page." We thought he had a strange answer in this BBC radio interview as well.
Wednesday In Zagreb *Results
Nick Symmonds Wins One, Tyson Gay Crushes Nesta Carter Gay and Carter are the co world-leader in the 100m, but in 2010 Tyson Gay is clearly the world's top sprinter and he showed that by crushing Nesta Carter. Nick
got his first European win of the year and Morgan Uceny went sub-2:00 again but finished 2nd.
*Video Of Tyson Gay's race His last 20m are incredible. Watch at the link to the left or on the right hand side of this page.
16-Year-Old Brit Charlie Grice Tells Us How He Ran 2:21 For 1,000 To Grab World Youth Olympic Bronze He's a talent we are fond of but don't like how he uses the term "my first Olympic experience." The youth Olympics are not the Olympics.
2006 European 10k Champion Jan Fitschen Moving Up To The Marathon Amazingly, the German's PR is just 28:02.55 and yet he's a European champ.
The Week That Was
LRC Week In Review This week, we compare Molly Huddle's and Bernard Lagat's American records to all of the other current mid-d and distance records, praise Asbel Kiprop while comparing him unfavorably to Ryan Gregson and Andrew Wheating, give props to Fasil Bizuneh and start to talk about the fall marathons in Chicago and New York.
Tuesday's Italian Action
Justin Gatlin Race #4 10.06 (10.14 Unaided), Caster Semenya Runs 2:07 Gatlin ran his fastest time of the year, although when you adjust for wind and altitude, it's worth 10.14. The best news for Gatlin was he was only .03 behind Yohan Blake (who suffered a mild injury at the end of the race). Caster Semenya didn't show up and Sara Hall ran a 10:00 steeple.
*Video Of Gatlin Vs. Blake
Great Clash Wednesday In Zagreb
- Zagreb Preview (Tyson Gay Vs. Nesta Carter, Nick Symmonds The Favorite In The 800, Great Shot Put)
- Wed. In Zagreb, Croatia: Tyson Gay To Battle Co-World Leader Nesta Carter
This Week's Sign Of The Apocalypse
Caster Semenya Hoping To Do 800/1,500 Double At 2010 Games And Then Become A Boxer At Age 30
- Usain Bolt Tells BBC It's Time To Clean Up The Sport And Understands Why People Might Think He's Dirty
- 9.99 Man Mark Jelks Is Suspended For
DopingMissing 3 Tests
David Rudisha Does It Again! 1:41.01 *Results *Rest Of Meet Recap *LRC Photos (Updated)
LRC Rudisha 1:41.01!!!!! One week after he ran 1:41.09 to take down Wilson Kipketer's
world record, Rudisha took to the famed Rieti track and set the 8th world record ever on it by running a 1:41.01, coming up just short of the first 1:40 clocking. The first four all set personal bests, including American Nick Symmonds.
*Praise Coming From Kenya For Rudisha's 1:41.01
*IAAF Recap Of Rieti: David Rudisha Runs 1:41.01 To Break 800m World Record
*AFP Recap Of Rudisha's 2nd World Record In A Week
*Video Of Rudisha's Run
*Recap Of Rest Of Rieti: Bernard Lagat Gets 3,000m American Record, Asbel Kiprop Wins Again, And Everyone (Especially Nesta Carter) Runs Fast In 100m
A Look At Some Foreign Stars
- 2009 World XC Champion's Florence Kiplagat's Debut At Half Marathon Is A Good One (67:40) Kiplagat's track season had been going badly (14:52 SB), but she now is the 26th-fastest in history at the half. Three men broke 1 hour.
- David Rudisha To Be Crowned Masai Leader Today link fixed He'll be the first person from his village honored in such a way.
- A Look At Sammy Tangui - David Rudisha's Pacemaker The guy is probably the richest 1:49 guy on the planet.
- Q&A With France's 8:02 Steepler Bouabdellah Tahri
- From Sickly Child To World Silver Medallist In Steeple, It's Been Quite A Ride For Russia's Yuliya Zarudneva
From Across The Pond
- Recommended Read: After a quarter of a century, Koch remains untouchable This article from the Independent talks about how all the women's WRs from 100m to 800m were set in the 1980s, including a 47.60 400m and a 1:53.28 800m.
- RR: BBC's Tom Fordyce Gives His 2010 Year End Awards From performer of the year to best young performer to flop of the year, he's got you covered.
- New British Star Dai Greene Only .06 From 18-Year-Old British Record In 400m Hurdles He shocked Bershawn Jackson at the Continental Cup.
Continental Cup Saturday-Sunday *Results *Event-By-Event Reports *Photos *Day 1 Photos
Day2 LRC Distance Recap: Incredible Lagat Wins 5k/3k Double As Rudisha Dominates
Discussion: *Lagat GOLD in 3k
*Who also has never heard of Ecuadoran Bayron Piedra?
*NANCY LANGAT IS A CHEATER
Bernard Lagat, 6 years older than the next oldest competitor in the field and doubling back after a 51-second closing lap on Saturday, again benefitted from incredibly slow pacing as he doubled his weekly earnings to $60k to highlight day 2 from Croatia. Other big winners included a super-excited Blanka Vlašić and a
bored unchallenged David Rudisha. Big losers included the Americas, who fell in the team standings to Europe and Nancy Langat, who seemed
to attempt a take down of the leader as she fell with 10m to go in the women's 1,500.
More Day 2: *Blanka Vlašić Thrilled With Meet Record Performance In Front Of Family And Hometown Crowd IAAF article
*Lagat, Rudisha And Vlašić Win Big And Team Europe Wins The Team Battle In Croatia IAAF recap
Day 1 Recap Of Continental Cup: Lagat Wins, Kiprop Fizzles Bernard Lagat and Asbel Kiprop both showed us from different extremes why the Continental Cup should be on every athlete's schedule because it gives them an experience they rarely get - championship running without rabbits. Lagat is a master without rabbits and he blasted a 51-second last lap to win the 5,000m title. Kiprop, after leading the first 2 laps, got boxed in with 400m to go and then basically quit the last 200m. He may have the Olympic gold but was only 4th at Worlds (a half-second mistake kills you in a tactical race). American Leo Manzano was boxed in as well, but kept fighting and finished 3rd. In the women's 3k, Meseret Defar blasted a 58.38 final lap for the win and Shannon Rowbury went sub-60 for 3rd. In other action, Jeremy Wariner ran fast again (44.22), Christophe Lemaitre won the 100m and Christian Cantwell the shot with Dwight Phillips in the long jump.
*Brief LRC Recap Of Men's 1,500m: Kiprop Fizzles, Manzano Finishes 3rd
*51-Second Last Lap Brings Lagat $30,000 And Continental 5k Title
*1,500m Event Report
*Brit David Greene Goes Sub-48 To Shock Bershawn Jackson In 400m Hurdles
*Christophe Lemaitre Wins Continental 100m, Mark Lewis Francis 3rd
Nick Willis 1:46.89, Alan Webb 1:48.34, Andrew Ellerton 1:46.77 In Italy The comebacks of the stud milers continue.
IAAF: Day 1 Preview Manzano vs. Kiprop at 1,500 is one of the highlights.
*Nearly $3 Million In Prize Money
*David Oliver Talks On Eve Of Continental Cup
*Preview Of Day 2 For Brits: Dobriskey And Idowu Lead Charge
IAAF Men's Preview Tyson Gay is running, but only in the 4 x 100, giving Christophe Lemaitre a chance in the 100. Wallace Spearmon and Jeremy Wariner are running, as is David Rudisha, Asbel Kiprop, Leo Manzano and Bernard Lagat (3k and 5k).
*Tyson Gay Talks About Running 4 x 100 At Continental Cup IAAF
*Preview Of British Challenge
Women's Preview The top 2 female sprinters, Allyson Felix and Veronica Campbell Brown, basically avoided each other all year and both are skipping the Continental Cup (VCB missed most of all the big meets this year because of $). However, the long distances are stacked with Nancy Langat in the 1,500, Meseret Defar in the 3k, and Tirunesh Dibaba in the 5k.
- New Haven 20k (US 20k Champs) On Monday Brett Gotcher got it rolling here last year. He won in New Haven then ran 2:10:35 in Houston. He's back to defend.
- Brett Gotcher Talks About How Winning New Haven Last Year Changed His Running Career www.nhregister.com
- $15,000 Kauai Marathon Challenge For Sub-2:30 Marathon The winner is guaranteed $2,500 and the $15,000 is split among everyone else who breaks 2:30 (men) or 2:45 (women). If you're running semi-pro and want a good vacation, this seems to be the palce to do it.
- David Rudisha To Skip Commonwealth Games
Jerk Of The Week
Italian Meet Director Blasts Semenya After Her Manager Says Fatigue And Illness Caused Her 2:07 The Italian is our jerk of the week, as he said, "There's no certainty that she did it on purpose. I mean why would she? It hurts both her and the meet. But it's not a good enough explanation for me."
Usain Bolt Tells BBC Radio He Thinks Tyson Gay Hates His Guts The press is making this out to be bigger than it is, as later Bolt says he and Gay are "cool but not the best of friends." Watch/Listen to the highlight of the interview here so you can see Bolt's mannerisms/tone or listen to the whole five-minute podcast here.
Recommended Read Legends Sing Praise Of Roy Griak - Minnesota's XC Coach Of 33 Years This story is full of great anecdotes and is a must-read for any coach in the sport.
Commonwealth Games News
- Potentially Life-Threatening Dengue Fever To Be At Peak For Commonwealth Games
- Australia's 400 Man John Steffensen May Skip Out As He's Still Angry That Athletics Australia Forced Him To Try Out While Injured
- Rudisha To Skip Commonwealths
Nagoya To Become World's Largest Women-Only Marathon In 2012 It's going to have up to 10,000.
Today's Distance Fix
- Rudishas To Slaughter 50 Cows And Have Party Of All Parties To Celebrate His World Records
- Science Of Sports Guys' Take On When We'll See The 2-Hour Marathon (80 Years From Now) This article is analyzing an academic paper that cites LetsRun.com and Chris Solinsky that is discussed in this thread.
- Profile Of Australia's 20-Year-Old Great Hope - Ryan Gregson It's inspiring to learn that the late Kerryn McCann played a role in getting him started in the sport.
- NPR Profiles The First Female Full Scholarship Track Athlete At Cal - A Woman Who Said "Nope To Dope" She said back then steroids were all over the place.
The Rudisha Celebration That Was & Is To Be
- Rudisha's Family Treats Village To Free Drinks After 2nd World Record Was Broken
- 50 Bulls To Be Slaughtered When Rudisha Returns Home Rudisha is pumped and considers himself to be a true Masai warrior.
Great Meet Sunday In Rieti, Italy *Results *Rudisha 1:41.01 *Recap Of Rest Of Meet *Photos (More Coming)
(Non-Rudisha) Rieti: LRC Bernard Lagat Gets 3,000m American Record, Asbel Kiprop Wins Again, And Everyone (Especially Nesta Carter) Runs Fast In 100m
Yesterday, Bob Kennedy turned 40. Today, he lost his last American record as a week after coming up short of the record, Bernard Lagat ran 7:29.00 to get the record and narrowly lost to Tariku Bekele in the process. In other action, Asbel Kiprop beat the top 1,500m field of the year and had time to celebrate a bit while doing it, and the men's 100m was super-fast as the first 7 all set
bests, including Nesta Carter's world-leading
9.78. Someone check the timing the equipment in Rieti!
*IAAF Recap Of Rieti: David Rudisha Runs 1:41.01 To Break 800m World Record
If you're wondering about David Rudisha's 1:41.01 world record, that is covered here.
Down Goes Solinsky ...
Menjo Does It Again, Solos A 26:56 10k, Winning By Over 5 Minutes Menjo (he only needs one name) has put on 3 incredible solo performances in the last month in Finland. First it was a solo 12:55 5,000m, then a 3:53 mile and now it is a 26:56 10,000m where he won the race by over 5 minutes (there were only 2 other competitors in the race). American Chris Solinsky was the previous world leader in the event and with no major 10ks in the world this year, hoped to have the world leader stand. Instead, Menjo goes out and time trials a 26:56 by himself. Incredible.
Congrats To One of the Good Guys
Pete Julian Named Washington State XC Coach Julian was one of the guys who helped bring the US XC Champs to Boulder.
Glorified Practice Season Underway (More Results Here)
- Washington Men And Women Win Dual Vs. Washington State
- Arkansas Men Sweep Top 10 Places In Dual Meet
- Aussie Marathoner Lee Troop Wins CU Time Trial
- Wisconsin Men Sweep
- Stanford Men And Women Don't Sweep
- Duke Men And Women Sweep Top 5
- Mark Wetmore Speaks After Win
Tyson Gay 9.92 Over Nesta Carter (His Last 20m Is Sick)
Justin Gatlin 10.09 (More Here)
Webb's 3:41 Win In Antwerp (More Here)
US Men's 10-Mile Champs
Fasil Bizuneh Wins US 10-Mile Championships At Crim Congrats to Fasil for persevering and winning his first US crown at age 30.
*Results *Message Board Thread