- London and Chicago Champ Shobukhova to Face Mikitenko in Chicago to Likely Decide World Marathon Majors Title NY has Geb but Chicago did a great job with its fields on both the men's and women's fields.
- 2:04:48 Man Patrick Makau Headlines 2010 Berlin Marathon
- This Week's Sign Of The Apocalypse Retired American Star Chris Lukezic Is Banned For Refusing To Take A Drug Test On 4/20 For those of you that aren't hip, 4/20 is national Weed Day. *LRC MBoard On The Former Hoya's Ban
- Drug Cheat Justin Gatlin Runs 9.81 - Wait, Make That 10.15 The clock stopped at 9.81 and confused everyone for a brief moment.
- A Comparison of All of Gatlin's Runs on His Comeback
- WADA Reports Gene Doping Test May Be In Place For 2012 Games Two groups of scientists have developed separate tests, one of which can detect gene doping as far back as 56 days. Concerns are already high that gene therapy may have crossed over from legitimate medical applications to the world of performance enhancing for sports.
- 6 Indian Athletes, Including 1 Gold Medal Prospect, Banned For Drugs
- Shot Putter Milan Haborak Banned For Life After 2nd Doping Positive Haborak was caught for stanozolol, the same relatively crude steroid Ben Johnson was busted for back in 1988.
- 21-Year-Old British Hurdler Banned
"Niggles" And Successful Year Cause Mo Farah To Pull Out Of Commonwealth Games The concept of getting slaughtered by Kenyans probably didn't help things either.
NCAA XC Is Here
LRC 2010 NCAA Cross-Country Pre-Season Polls: Stanford And Villanova On Top It should be a great year on the XC fields across America, as a lot of teams on both the men's and women's teams think they can contend in Terre Haute. On the men's side, Stanford, Oklahoma State, Oregon and NAU
all have a ton of guys back. Villanova is a stronger #1 on the women's side, but the UW Huskies will want to have something to say about that along with LRC fan #2 Oregon.
*Stanford XC Hoping To Return To Top paloaltoonline.com
*Wisconsin Looking For Its 15th Straight Year In Top 10 At NCAA XCs madison.com
*USTFCCCA Pre-Season Coaches Polls Released Stanford and Villanova #1, as in the LRC polls.
50 Years Ago Thursday - The Sport Was Changed Forever - Lydiard's Boys Won Double Gold For Tiny New Zealand
- Peter Snell & Murray Halberg Remember How They Changed The Sport Forever 50 Years Ago Thanks to their hard work and Arthur Lydiard, distance training was changed forever as high mileage came into play.
- Lydiard Had Special Knack For Getting Best Out Of Athletes Not only did he revolutionize training, he also was good psychologically.
- Snell & Halberg Remember 50 Years Later
- Snell Recalls Rome 800 Gold As His Finest Moment *Old School Race Video *Modernized Video
- Mindful Of His Mortality, Snell Stays In Dallas, TX On Historic Day
Gatlin & Drugs
Justin Gatlin: "Guilty or not, I've turned the page." We thought he had a strange answer in this BBC radio interview as well.
Wednesday In Zagreb *Results
Nick Symmonds Wins One, Tyson Gay Crushes Nesta Carter Gay and Carter are the co world-leader in the 100m, but in 2010 Tyson Gay is clearly the world's top sprinter and he showed that by crushing Nesta Carter. Nick
got his first European win of the year and Morgan Uceny went sub-2:00 again but finished 2nd.
*Video Of Tyson Gay's race His last 20m are incredible. Watch at the link to the left or on the right hand side of this page.
16-Year-Old Brit Charlie Grice Tells Us How He Ran 2:21 For 1,000 To Grab World Youth Olympic Bronze He's a talent we are fond of but don't like how he uses the term "my first Olympic experience." The youth Olympics are not the Olympics.
2006 European 10k Champion Jan Fitschen Moving Up To The Marathon Amazingly, the German's PR is just 28:02.55 and yet he's a European champ.
The Week That Was
LRC Week In Review This week, we compare Molly Huddle's and Bernard Lagat's American records to all of the other current mid-d and distance records, praise Asbel Kiprop while comparing him unfavorably to Ryan Gregson and Andrew Wheating, give props to Fasil Bizuneh and start to talk about the fall marathons in Chicago and New York.
Tuesday's Italian Action
Justin Gatlin Race #4 10.06 (10.14 Unaided), Caster Semenya Runs 2:07 Gatlin ran his fastest time of the year, although when you adjust for wind and altitude, it's worth 10.14. The best news for Gatlin was he was only .03 behind Yohan Blake (who suffered a mild injury at the end of the race). Caster Semenya didn't show up and Sara Hall ran a 10:00 steeple.
*Video Of Gatlin Vs. Blake
Great Clash Wednesday In Zagreb
- Zagreb Preview (Tyson Gay Vs. Nesta Carter, Nick Symmonds The Favorite In The 800, Great Shot Put)
- Wed. In Zagreb, Croatia: Tyson Gay To Battle Co-World Leader Nesta Carter
This Week's Sign Of The Apocalypse
Caster Semenya Hoping To Do 800/1,500 Double At 2010 Games And Then Become A Boxer At Age 30
- Usain Bolt Tells BBC It's Time To Clean Up The Sport And Understands Why People Might Think He's Dirty
- 9.99 Man Mark Jelks Is Suspended For
DopingMissing 3 Tests
David Rudisha Does It Again! 1:41.01 *Results *Rest Of Meet Recap *LRC Photos (Updated)
LRC Rudisha 1:41.01!!!!! One week after he ran 1:41.09 to take down Wilson Kipketer's
world record, Rudisha took to the famed Rieti track and set the 8th world record ever on it by running a 1:41.01, coming up just short of the first 1:40 clocking. The first four all set personal bests, including American Nick Symmonds.
*Praise Coming From Kenya For Rudisha's 1:41.01
*IAAF Recap Of Rieti: David Rudisha Runs 1:41.01 To Break 800m World Record
*AFP Recap Of Rudisha's 2nd World Record In A Week
*Video Of Rudisha's Run
*Recap Of Rest Of Rieti: Bernard Lagat Gets 3,000m American Record, Asbel Kiprop Wins Again, And Everyone (Especially Nesta Carter) Runs Fast In 100m
Alan Webb Is Back! *Video Of Race
LRC Alan Webb Runs 3:41.16 1,500m (= 3:58.90 Mile) And 14:15 5k In Antwerp, Belgium The Webbster appears to be progressing very well in his comeback, as he won the race and beat a guy who has run 3:36 twice this year. *Webb Post-Race Video *Salazar Post-Race Video
Final DL Meet Brussels Was Friday *Results *LRC Brussels Photo Gallery *More Photos
LRC American Record For Molly Huddle, Manzano Impresses Again, Rudisha Over Kaki, Semenya Gets Beaten Huddle's record is what the record books will remember, as her great 2010 continues (she's dropped her 5k PR 33 seconds). Despite her record, she was only 10th in the race, thanks to emerging Kenyan women. The American distance performance of the night in our book
was Leo Manzano's second-place finish in the 1,500m to Asbel Kiprop. If this race had been 1,510m, Manzano would have been the champ. David Rudisha prevailed over Kaki in their dual and Semenya was soundly beaten, making some wonder if it was on purpose. In the sprints, Tyson Gay won 9.79 over Nesta Carter's 9.85, Priscilla Lopes-Schliep performed well under pressure, and Blanka Vlašić completed a perfect Diamond League season (too bad for
*BBC Recap Of Brussels
*IAAF Recap Of Brussels
*Reuters Recap Of Brussels
*BBC Post-Race Video Interview With Caster Semenya We think if you watch the video, you'll conclude she didn't lose on purpose.
Brussels On The Boards: *Molly Huddle 14:44.76 American Record
*Manzano 3:32.18!!! PR Just Behind Olympic Champ Kiprop! The American distance performance of the meet in our minds, even though we'd rather have an American record.
*Semenya tanked on purpose?
*Rudisha Over Kaki
20-Year-Old Trying Out For North Carolina A&T Track Team Drops Dead A tragedy for all involved, including possibly A&T, as it looks like lawsuits are in the making as a trainer wasn't present. Can people ever admit tragedies just sometimes occur?
New York Marathon News
- Pregnant With First Child, Deena Kastor Will Miss ING New York City Marathon This Fall
- Half Marathon Stud Mary Keitany Commits To Marathon Debut In New York Plus they got much more. The world champ Abel Kirui is running and barely mentioned. Plus Gebre Gebremariam comes back to the marathon hot on the roads, Peter Kamais, Emmanuel Mutai and Werkdnesh Kidane.
Nick Willis 1:46.89, Alan Webb 1:48.34, Andrew Ellerton 1:46.77 In Italy The comebacks of the stud milers continue.
Continental Cup Saturday-Sunday *Schedule/Results *Start Lists *America's Team
IAAF: Day 1 Preview Manzano vs. Kiprop at 1,500 is one of the highlights.
*Nearly $3 Million In Prize Money
*David Oliver Talks On Eve Of Continental Cup
*Preview Of Day 2 For Brits: Dobriskey And Idowu Lead Charge
IAAF Men's Preview Tyson Gay is running, but only in the 4 x 100, giving Christophe Lemaitre a chance in the 100. Wallace Spearmon and Jeremy Wariner are running, as is David Rudisha, Asbel Kiprop, Leo Manzano and Bernard Lagat (3k and 5k).
*Tyson Gay Talks About Running 4 x 100 At Continental Cup IAAF
*Preview Of British Challenge
Women's Preview The top 2 female sprinters, Allyson Felix and Veronica Campbell Brown, basically avoided each other all year and both are skipping the Continental Cup (VCB missed most of all the big meets this year because of $). However, the long distances are stacked with Nancy Langat in the 1,500, Meseret Defar in the 3k, and Tirunesh Dibaba in the 5k.
- New Haven 20k (US 20k Champs) On Monday Brett Gotcher got it rolling here last year. He won in New Haven then ran 2:10:35 in Houston. He's back to defend.
- Brett Gotcher Talks About How Winning New Haven Last Year Changed His Running Career www.nhregister.com
- $15,000 Kauai Marathon Challenge For Sub-2:30 Marathon The winner is guaranteed $2,500 and the $15,000 is split among everyone else who breaks 2:30 (men) or 2:45 (women). If you're running semi-pro and want a good vacation, this seems to be the palce to do it.
- David Rudisha To Skip Commonwealth Games
Jerk Of The Week
Italian Meet Director Blasts Semenya After Her Manager Says Fatigue And Illness Caused Her 2:07 The Italian is our jerk of the week, as he said, "There's no certainty that she did it on purpose. I mean why would she? It hurts both her and the meet. But it's not a good enough explanation for me."
Usain Bolt Tells BBC Radio He Thinks Tyson Gay Hates His Guts The press is making this out to be bigger than it is, as later Bolt says he and Gay are "cool but not the best of friends." Watch/Listen to the highlight of the interview here so you can see Bolt's mannerisms/tone or listen to the whole five-minute podcast here.
Recommended Read Legends Sing Praise Of Roy Griak - Minnesota's XC Coach Of 33 Years This story is full of great anecdotes and is a must-read for any coach in the sport.
Commonwealth Games News
- Potentially Life-Threatening Dengue Fever To Be At Peak For Commonwealth Games
- Australia's 400 Man John Steffensen May Skip Out As He's Still Angry That Athletics Australia Forced Him To Try Out While Injured
- Rudisha To Skip Commonwealths
Nagoya To Become World's Largest Women-Only Marathon In 2012 It's going to have up to 10,000.
Today's Distance Fix
- Rudishas To Slaughter 50 Cows And Have Party Of All Parties To Celebrate His World Records
- Science Of Sports Guys' Take On When We'll See The 2-Hour Marathon (80 Years From Now) This article is analyzing an academic paper that cites LetsRun.com and Chris Solinsky that is discussed in this thread.
- Profile Of Australia's 20-Year-Old Great Hope - Ryan Gregson It's inspiring to learn that the late Kerryn McCann played a role in getting him started in the sport.
- NPR Profiles The First Female Full Scholarship Track Athlete At Cal - A Woman Who Said "Nope To Dope" She said back then steroids were all over the place.
The Rudisha Celebration That Was & Is To Be
- Rudisha's Family Treats Village To Free Drinks After 2nd World Record Was Broken
- 50 Bulls To Be Slaughtered When Rudisha Returns Home Rudisha is pumped and considers himself to be a true Masai warrior.
Continental Cup Coming Next Week: Africa Vs. Europe Vs. Americas Vs. Asia/Pacific
Overall Women's Preview Two women per event score.
Team Europe Profiles:
*Women's 5,000: Abeylegesse Leads *Women's 3,000: Alminova & Bekele Lead Charge *Women's 1,500: Dobriskey & Dehiba *Women's 800: Savinova & Meadows *Women's Steeple
*Men's 1,500: Casado & Baddeley *Men's 800: Lewandowski And Rimmer *Men's Steeple
Great Meet Sunday In Rieti, Italy *Results *Rudisha 1:41.01 *Recap Of Rest Of Meet *Photos (More Coming)
(Non-Rudisha) Rieti: LRC Bernard Lagat Gets 3,000m American Record, Asbel Kiprop Wins Again, And Everyone (Especially Nesta Carter) Runs Fast In 100m
Yesterday, Bob Kennedy turned 40. Today, he lost his last American record as a week after coming up short of the record, Bernard Lagat ran 7:29.00 to get the record and narrowly lost to Tariku Bekele in the process. In other action, Asbel Kiprop beat the top 1,500m field of the year and had time to celebrate a bit while doing it, and the men's 100m was super-fast as the first 7 all set
bests, including Nesta Carter's world-leading
9.78. Someone check the timing the equipment in Rieti!
*IAAF Recap Of Rieti: David Rudisha Runs 1:41.01 To Break 800m World Record
If you're wondering about David Rudisha's 1:41.01 world record, that is covered here.
Down Goes Solinsky ...
Menjo Does It Again, Solos A 26:56 10k, Winning By Over 5 Minutes Menjo (he only needs one name) has put on 3 incredible solo performances in the last month in Finland. First it was a solo 12:55 5,000m, then a 3:53 mile and now it is a 26:56 10,000m where he won the race by over 5 minutes (there were only 2 other competitors in the race). American Chris Solinsky was the previous world leader in the event and with no major 10ks in the world this year, hoped to have the world leader stand. Instead, Menjo goes out and time trials a 26:56 by himself. Incredible.
True Phenom: The Incredible Story Of Silas Kiplagat, Who Ran 3:29.27 For 1,500m In His First European Race Ever At Age 20 Silas Kiplagat started running two years ago thanks to the encouragement of Sammy Kitwara. Yes, the same Kitwara we highlighted last year: Sammy Kitwara: The Best Runner You've Never Heard Of. Because of Kitwara, Kiplagat wanted to run long distances, but coach Moses Kiptanui (former world record holder in the steeple) pushed him to the 1,500m. Thanks to the IAAF Focus on Athletes project and author Mutwiri Mutuota for letting us share this story with you. Kiplagat takes on Asbel Kiprop for the first time in Europe in a great 1,500m matchup Sunday in Rieti.
Bolt's Book "Usain Bolt: 9.58" Is Coming Out Thursday, Sept. 2
- Book Excerpt - Bolt: "If there were medals for partying I'd have won them all." The sprint king has no problem being honest in the book.
- The Telegraph: Bolt's Fast & Loose "I don't want to talk about the old days. I was really bad. I'd go all night. But I never got drunk. I don't do drunk."
- More: Bolt Reveals Some Jamaicans Think He Was Bribed To Tank In A World Championship
- Report: Bolt's New Puma Deal Is Worth $32 Million, But That's Just .02% Of The Richest Sportsman In History. Apparently the Roman gladiator Circus Maximus made the equivalent of $15 billion in prize money during his career. Also, apparently an Indian cricket player makes more than Bolt does currently.
- Usain Bolt Q&A About Puma Deal He has to answer a stupid question as to whether or not Puma is exploiting Jamaicans.
Alberto Salazar's Group Talks From The Netherlands
- Galen Rupp Talks About His 2010 Season And His Upcoming 3,000 Rupp starts things off by giving the details of a recent 1,200-800-400 workout and talks about his relationship with Alberto Salazar. He then tells you what he thinks he needs to do to reach the next level and tell you his favorite and least favorite workouts. *LRC MB Talk Of Interview
- Interview #2: Alberto Salazar: "Alan Webb will break American records in the 1,500 and the mile." Salazar also says that everyone in his group, including Dathan Ritzenhein and Galen Rupp, know that Alan is most the talented of the bunch. *LRC MB: Salazar Drops the Gauntlet saying Webb WILL break ARs
- Interview #1: Alan Webb Talks Confidently About His Comeback
Tyson Gay 9.92 Over Nesta Carter (His Last 20m Is Sick)
Justin Gatlin 10.09 (More Here)
Webb's 3:41 Win In Antwerp (More Here)
US Men's 10-Mile Champs
Fasil Bizuneh Wins US 10-Mile Championships At Crim Congrats to Fasil for persevering and winning his first US crown at age 30.
*Results *Message Board Thread