Interesting Read Sports Economics: Daegu, Korea To Spend $190 Million On World Championships Asia apparently is the only one with money left to burn.
HS Distance News
- New York Phenom Chad Noelle Commits To Oregon Noelle is the kid that won the FLNE in the third XC race of his life after running 4:10 last spring. Amazingly, his coach acted like Oregon might not want him. *MBoard Thread On Noelle Here
- Jim Rosa Gets Some Pub In USA Today
- Rosa Gets Even More Pub In NJ Paper For Being Quiet Leader
- Lukas Verbicas Goes Into NXN/Foot Locker Double After 3rd-Fastest FL Midwest Time In History
Other Articles That Are Possibly Worth A Click/Listen
- Haverford's Tom Donnelly Enjoying First National Title After 35 Years Of Coaching Donnelly is highly respected within the coaching community.
- Good Marketing Move
Main Theme At South African Track Meets This Year Will Be The Sub-4 Mile Meanwhile, idiots in America will continue to run the 1,500.
- Double Commonweakth Games Champ Moses Kipsiro Says There Is A Lot Of Untapped Potential In Uganda
- Audio Interview With Sam Chelanga & His Coach
- Jim Ryun Radio Interview Link takes you to a partical transcript.
Scientists Used MRI Scans To Study Runners Over Trans-European Foot Race And Have Some Interesting Findings On Fat Burning, Injuries Nothing groundbreaking, but if you're into this stuff, it's worth a read.
LRC In Monaco
LRC US Sprints Stars Jeremy Wariner And Allyson Felix Look Back At 2010 And Ahead To 2011 Wariner wants to keep getting stronger as he has put his knee surgery behind him. Felix is preparing for a possible quadruple
in London but first she'll have to beat VCB in an Olympics- something she hasn't done.
Previous From Monaco:
LRC 800m World Record Holders: Juantorena, Coe, Kipketer And Rudisha All Together In One Room For The First Time Ever We didn't hype this enough last week because of NCAAS but you'll learn something if you give this a read or watch.
LRC Bernard Lagat Says The 5k Is His Focus; Watch Out For His Brother, Robert Cheseret
LRC Dayron Robles And David Oliver Agree On One Thing - Allen Johnson Is The Best Hurdler Of All Time Robles and Oliver were really entertaining. Oliver is now one of our favorite US runners.
- Eliud Kipchoge To Headline Edinburgh XC Meet In January; There Will Also Be A USA Vs. UK Team Component
- Mo Farah To Skip European XC Champs In December
Update On Nike - Foot Locker Rivalry
- 13 Of Top 25 Girls Running Foot Locker Only
- 13 Of Top 25 Boys Running NXN Only
Sadly, this seems to us that this year is the beginning of the end for Foot Locker unless they fight back in a major way.
- Message Board Talk About Foot Locker/Nike Here *Saugus Or FM?
Indian Track & Field Athletes May Receive Monthly Stipend Of Slightly More Than $2,000 Per Month 100,000 of their dollars is $2,182 to us. The lowest paid people would make about $1,300 per month.
Weekend Marathon Action
Bad Weather Results In 2:12 And 2:28 Winning Times In Florence
Korea's Ji Young-Jun Breaks Away From World Silver Medallist Mubarak Hassan Shami And Wins Asian Games Marathon Shami is the guy who was going to win the 2005 World Half Marathon but celebrated too soon and was caught at the line.
Rags To Riches: Isaac Kosgei, Who Was Discovered Last Year At Nairobi Slums Talent Search 10k, Wins Kass Eldoret Marathon And $20,000 We're not sure how a $20,000 marathon was won in 2:20 in Kenya, but this is a big race and Paul Tergat was on hand along with Hendrick Ramaala. More here.
HS XC Enters The Post-Season *Foot Locker Site *NXN Site
Three Foot Locker And Lots Of NXN Regionals Held We know a ton of Nike regionals were held, but the schedule is so confusing we don't care to figure out how many.
Foot Locker Regional Champs
Northeast Girls: Last year's Northeast champ Aisling Cuffe (4th in the Finals last year and now a 3-time qualifier) left the field behind on Cardiac Hill at the new meet venue of Sunken Meadow Park (moved from Van Cortlandt Park) and cruised to a comfortable repeat win. Abbey Leonardi repeated as Regional runner-up. Holmdel record setter Megan Venables was only 4th but advanced with plenty of room to spare. Full Girls Seeded Race Results
Northeast Boys: Converted soccer player Chad Noelle, running in his first high school XC meet (he does have 4:09 and 9:04 track PRs) caught frontrunning Morgan Pearson with just under a mile left and prevailed in the sprint. Full Boys Seeded Race Results (PDF)
South Girls: Florida twins Kathryn and Erika Fluehr reversed the order of their state meet finish, with Kathryn winning as she normally does, and took the top two spots to both earn a repeat trip to Nationals. Third-placer Rachel Johnson had her first loss of the season (after winning NXN South a week ago and Texas state a week before that) but also made the Foot Locker Finals for the second year in a row. Full Girls Seeded Race Results
South Boys: With last year's South champion Craig Lutz opting to run only NXN this year (he won NXN South last week), recent Florida state meet course record setter Jimmy Clark took advantage and used a big kick to make it a Sunshine State win on both the boys' and girls' sides. Runner-up Blake Williams earned his second trip to the Finals in as many years. Full Boys Seeded Race Results
Midwest Girls: With temperatures in the 20s, Allison Woodward pulled steadily away from Gabrielle Anzalone with just over a half mile remaining. Third-placer Shannon Osika booked her 2nd trip to Nationals. Full Girls Seeded Race Results
Midwest Boys: Defending Foot Locker National Champion Lukas Verzbicas blasted a 4:35 second mile in the chilly weather and ran the 3rd-fastest performance in meet history (14:45) to hold off fellow 11th grader Futsum Zeinasellassie, who finished 7th at Nationals as a freshman in 2008. Full Boys Seeded Race Results
West Regional Races coming Saturday, Dec. 4.
For more in-depth coverage of Foot Locker regions, as well as NXN regions, you can find plenty of articles at ESPN RISE.
The Age-Old Question
The limit of human performance: How much faster? Science of Sport It seems like ever since people started recording how long it took to run a certain distance, they've speculated about what the final, unbreachable barriers of performance might be. Sixty years ago, most people thought a 4:00 mile might be the limit. Now the record is over 16 seconds faster than that. Where does it end? Will somebody eventually break 2 hours for a marathon? Do we now really know enough about human physiology to reasonably predict where the human body eventually reaches an asymptotic limit which can only be further approached but never surpassed? Or are we still imposing arbitrary limitations on ourselves?
Random Sunday News
*Two Kenyan Frosh Go Sub-28 For Takushoku (JPN) University
We've always wondered how much damage the top Japanese universities
could do at NCAA XC or how the top NCAA teams would fare in a major
Ekiden. These teams are extremely good.
*More Uproar Over Gender Issues What happened to just stating the obvious?
Webb's Comeback Continues On Turkey Day!
Boards: Webb Over Rupp In Silicon Valley Trot
Alan Webb (13:36) kicked past Galen Rupp for the win in a last-minute matchup of training partners at the Applied Materials Silicon Valley Turkey Trot.
*Top 10 Men's Results NAU junior Diego Estrada wasn't happy with his 16th at NCAAs on Monday so he ran 13:50 for 4th on Thursday.
*Mercury News Recap With Webb Quotes
*LRC Reader Gets Race Photos Word from out west is Webb looks fitter than ever.
*Video: Salazar Talks After The Race, Plus Men's Finish
- Bernard Lagat's Charity Work Earns Him 2010 Visa Humanitarian Of The Year We talked to Lagat last week about his 2010 season, his plans for 2011 (only the 5k at Worlds), and much more, including Dathan Ritzenhein and his brother Robert Cheseret possibly making the 2011 team. To read more about that or watch our interview click here.
- Brooks Johnson Named Nike USATF Coach Of The Year Brooks also wanted Doug Logan canned and got his desire. Brooks coached one of our now favorite athletes, David Oliver. We talked to Oliver last week; for a recap or to watch, click here.
- Hammer Thrower Oneithea "Neni" Lewis Is USATF Masters Athlete Of Year
2010 NCAAs Aftermath *LRC Men's Recap *Men's Results *LRC Men's Photo Gallery *LRC Women's Recap *Women's Results *LRC Women's Photo Gallery *See Who LRC Visitors Voted For Here (LetsRun $201,000 Contest Scores Here)
*Aftermath From Colorado: Runners Blame Wind - Wetmore Blames Himself Wetmore's men had their worst showing since 1989.
*Aftermath From Wisconsin: Badgers Felt Like They Were Going To Win It Recommend Watch: Video: Elliot Krause Talks About His Collapse In The Final 400, Which Moved Him From 16th To 137th
*Aftermath From Oregon Puskedra is pleased to prove freshman year wasn't a fluke but stunned that Chelanga could talk mid-race; Lananna said the guys went out too hard but that's the only way they know how to do it at the U of O.
*Aftermath From Gtown Ladies pumped to go from 21st to podium.
*Aftermath From Stillwater Everyone is obviously pumped that they won and ran great.
*Aftermath From Tallahassee "It was a great day to be a Seminole."
*Aftermath From Arizona Sambu ditched his pre-race plan to run with the second pack and Coach Li was pumped the women were 11th.
2010 NCAA XC Men's Race
*LRC Oklahoma State And Chelanga Repeat!!! History repeated itself but things didn't necessarily go as expected, as Oklahoma State dominated and Sam Chelanga didn't win until the very end. Florida State went from 2nd-from-last to 2nd as the Cowboys' only real challenger on the day in Wisconsin faded, as their third runner
totally blew up in the final 2k collapsed some 250 meters from the finish line.
*High Winds Hurt Colorado As Their Run-From-Behind Strategy Ran Into Difficulties The Buff men had their worst showing since 1989, as they were 15th.
*Okla. State Newspaper: Cowboys Bring Home School's 50th NCAA Title & Third Largest Margin Of Victory 5th man Jonathan Stublaski had to lobby his way onto the team after bombing at conference and he came through with All-American honors. Meanwhile, the Okla. State paper features a LetsRun.com photo as we decided to be nice and give the poor college students one for free. T. Boone Pickens, please send us a check.
NCAA Men On The Boards:
*Oregon men only five runners?
*Stanford FAILS again!
*OSU's Ryan Prentice ran with one shoe for 9000 m
*Chris Derrick in elite company
*161 31:42.0 A.J. Acosta SR Oregon 31:42.0
*What happened to 25 year old David McNeil?
*Show Luke Puskedrsa some love, he earned it!!
*What if Ryan Sheridan had run for Iona?
(NCAA women's coverage in 2nd column)
Kenyans Are Pumped Rudisha Is 1st Ever Kenyan To Be Named World Athlete Of The Year *More On IAAF Athletes Of The Year David Rudisha And Blanka Vlašić
*Blanka Vlašić And David Rudisha Win IAAF Athlete Of The Year Awards *IAAF Release Additionally, both athletes will receive $100,000 despite the IAAF's financial situation.
LRC Juantorena, Coe, Kipketer And Rudisha All Together In One Room For The First Time Ever There may never be a night like it for the 800m. The last four world record holders, Alberto Juantorena, Seb Coe, Wilson Kipketer and David Rudisha all gathered together to reminisce about their record runs, to pay their respects to one another and to discuss the uniqueness of the 800m. It was a truly special occasion and these greats were almost giddy about it. They mesmerized the room for 40 minutes. Juantorena and Kipketer wanted their own photos, Coe said the photo would be his Christmas card, and Juantorena also wanted a video of the occasion. We then were notified we have the only video of it in the world. Recap and video.
New Improved CLIF SHOT Gels For The Performance Runners CLIF, the incredible company we've been telling you about the last few months, has a improved the formula on their new CLIF SHOT Gels. Now with up to 50% more electrolytes, the new gels have a thinner consistency to go down smooth no matter what mile you're on. 100% natural and 85-90% organic, read more about the new CLIF SHOT gels.
More Great Stuff From The IAAF Meetings In Monaco
LRC Bernard Lagat Says The 5k Is His Focus; Watch Out For His Brother, Robert Cheseret The American 3k and 5k record holder talks about his 2010 season, what took him so long to get the American record, raising the bar for Americans, and the bar being raised by Dathan Ritzenhein. Plus he says watch out for his brother, Robert Cheseret.
LRC Dayron Robles And David Oliver Agree On One Thing - Allen Johnson Is The Best Hurdler Of All Time Robles and Oliver were really entertaining. Oliver is now one of our favorite US runners.
*Vlašić, Felix, Lemaitre And Wariner Meet The Media In Monaco
*President Diack's Remarks At The 2010 Athlete Of The Year Press Conference
Kara Goucher To End Maternity Leave At Rock 'N' Roll Half On Jan. 16th That's less than four months after giving birth, for those of you asking. Clearly, she's not following the Paula Radcliffe "take it slow" approach.
LRC The Week That Was We keep things brief as we talk about lowering expectatons for Haile's comeback and give props to Tulsa, Toledo and Richmond and Megan Venables and the great state of NJ.
US Stars Of Present (And Future?) In The News
- HS Star Megan Venables Pumped To Have Broken 27-Year-Old Holmdel Record Almost equally as impressive is the fact that she won by 1:40.
- Shalane Flanagan Raising The Bar For US Marathoners The article points out that sub-2:26 has happened roughly 400 times and the US only has seven of them so we have a long way to go. Our stats reveal that 153 different people (and just 3 Americans) have gone 2:25 or better.
Despite Protests, Olympic Marathon Almost Certainly To End In London Mall Meanwhile, we wonder if anyone thought about trying to recreate the marathon course that gave us the 26.2 mile distance from 1908.
- World Junior XC Champ Mercy Cherono Edges World Junior Steeple Champ Purity Cherotich In Kenya XC As They Make Move To Senior Ranks
- Profile On Mercy Cherono As She Enters Senior Ranks The emergence of the Kenyan women on the track over the last 3 years has been one of the big largely unreported stories in the sport.
Recommended Read Former Kansas Great And World 1,500 Record Holder Wes Santee Dies The NY Times Frank Litsky recaps Santee's career and life in great detail. He was America's best hope to be the first sub-4 guy in history. Want to know more about Santee? He was featured in The
*KU Release On Santee *2nd Article On Santee With Pic Of Him In Prime *3rd Article On Santee With Recent Picture
News From Europe & Kenya
- 2010 World XC Silver Medallist Teklemariam Medhin Wins 2nd Straight IAAF XC Race In Portugal
- Recap Of Tegla Loroupe Peace Race In Kenya
- Juniors Step Up In Kenya: World XC Junior Champ Mercy Cherono Wins Senior Race In Kenya On the men's side, world junior 5,000 silver medallist John Chepkwony won the senior race.
Post-Commonwealths/NYC Marathon News
- Unbelievable Simon Bairu Collapsed At Mile 23 And Then The Ambulance He Was In Ran Into A Taxi And He Had To Get Into Another One You'd expect that to happen in a third world country, not New York. Now he'll enjoy some R&R in Hawaii.
- Hendrick Ramaala, Haile G And Paul Tergat Had Pow-Wow In NYC About Elevating Athletics To A Higher Level In Africa
- Catching Up With Commonwealth Games Bronze Medallist Lisa Weightman
- Mara Yamauchi's Confidence Is Down, But She Vows: "My best isn't behind me."
Week In Review WikiLeaks Style
LRC NCAA Week In Review We didn't steal the data or jeopardize national security, but in the tradition of WikiLeaks we have a data dump in our Week In Review that covers the NCAA XC Meet. Also, last week Alan Webb took down Galen Rupp on the roads at 5k.
News From Australia
- Menjo To Race Australia's Best At Zatopek 10,000 Next Thursday Menjo likely will take down the 27:22 record. *Preliminary Start Lists For Zatopek 10k Adrien Blincoe, Bobby Curtis and Shawn Forrest are all on the start line.
- Ryan Gregson To Miss Domestic Season With Foot Injury
- Steve Hooker To Miss Domestic Season With Knee Injury Should be fine by Worlds.
- Lithuanian Federation Says It Has Found No Evidence European Marathon Champ Zivile Balciunaite Doped - Awaits For IAAF's Reaction Her T/E ratio was high.
- Calcium And Vitamin D Supplements Probably Not Needed Rojo's doctor thinks all vitamins are largely a waste of money.
Awards Season Is Upon Us
- Jessica Ennis And Mo Farah Named British Athletics Athletes Of The Year
- Athletics Kenya (AK) To Have Its 1st Ever Golden Gala Night On Dec. 15th Winning their AOY award won't be easy.
European XC Meet Is Next Weekend
- Defending Champ & 36-Year-Old Hayley Yelling-Higham Will Lead Brits Into Battle
- Mo Farah To Skip European XC Champs In December
- A Look At France's Team
- A Look At Belgium, Estonia, The Netherlands And Turkey
USOC Hopes IOC Participates In LaShawn Merritt's Arbitration We're the biggest anti-dopers out there and think the IOC needs to follow the WADA code and let Merritt compete in 2012 ... or change the rules.
You Ask And You Shall Receive
LRC NCAA Division II NCAA Prediction Contest The national champs in the DII ranks are this weekend.
Preview Of This Weekend's North Face 50-Miler In Marin A loyal LetsRun.com viewer asked us to give this race some love. It's got a field from all over the world, and a
$10,000 first prize. All it's missing is some top guys from Africa (see below).
Nigerian Mountain Race Has A Ton Of Prize Money, Which Means Africans Start Winning, Europeans Quit Coming $50,000 for first.
- USATF Convention Kicks Off Today In Virginia Beach If there are any LetsRun spies in attendance, please email us what goes on at these things. Virginia Beach is glad to be hosting the event and wants to do it every year.
- Shalane Flanagan's Next Marathon Will Be Olympic Trials
Lots Of European Weekend XC Action
- World XC Champ Joseph Ebuya Crushes Diamond League 5k Champ Imane Merga In France By 29 Seconds As Linet Masai Wins
- Eritrea's Teklemariam Medhin Wins In Spain As "Menjo" Finishes 2nd Losing to Medhin is nothing to be embarrassed about, as he beat Ebuya earlier this year.
- Steffen Uliczka And Adrienne Herzog Prevail In Tilburg
- Irish Woodies DIY Inter-County Cross-Country Championships
- Italian Meet
- Here Comes The NCAA: Asafa Powell Foundation Gave Cash Awards To Top Jamaican HS Runners
- Time To Patent The Kalenjin "Champagne" The proper term is "mursik" and it is the sour milk Kenyan champions get when met at the airport by VIPs.
- The Economist Has Usain Bolt Give His Views In The "World In 2011" Annual Edition
Asian Games Are Over
Korea's Ji Young-Jun Breaks Away From World Silver Medallist Mubarak Hassan Shami And Wins Asian Games Marathon
Thrilling 10k Battle Between
Ethiopia & Kenya Bahrain And Qatar Highlight Next-To-Last Day Of Asian Champs A new record of 27:32 was set as the winner came back from 60 meters down over the final 3 laps to win narrowly.
*Reminiscent Of Beijing 2008, Host China Puts On An Impressive Show The host nation once again wowed spectators with dazzling ceremonies, top-notch security and a record haul of 199 gold medals (all sports). Liu Xiang was of course one of the major stars.
*IAAF Day 6 Recap
*Chinese Fans And Media Ecstatic With Liu Xiang's 13.09 Return
*Iran's Sajad Moradi And Iraq's Adnan Taees Akkar Go 1-2 In Men's 800
*Guangzhou Spent 20% More On Asian Games Than London Will On 2012 Olympics $18.3 billion in funds went to hosting the games in a a move local officials hope will pay off in long run with more events being hosted.
*Singapore Govt. Condemns National Flag On Front Of Swimmers' Speedos
13.09 For Liu Xiang As He Wins Asian Games A surprisingly good time for Liu. In other action, World 1,500m champ Yusuf Kamel did not start the 800 a couple days after criticizing team officials for making him running the 1,500. He said then, "I know that I can't achieve anything."
Some NCAA XC Tidbits
- Oregon Men And Women Left To Rebuild After Being Left Off Podium
- Having Overcome Injuries, Foot Locker National Champ Michael Fout Is Now Running Well For FSU
- Oklahoma State's Tom Farrell Is Starting To Impress Some In His Native Britain OSU's #4 ran a few British junior indoor records last year, including a 7:58. Farrell just finished 29th at NCAAs.
- Olympic 100m Champ Shelly-Ann Fraser Accepts Blame For Her Doping Positive And 6 Month Ban
- Linford Christie Impressing Some On His Performance On Reality Show "I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here"
- Australian Hurdler Sally Pearson Focused On 2012
Diamond League News - North American Viewers Go From 2 Million To 21 Million?
- Diamond League Wants To Have Prize For Overall Winner Some think that having two overall winners will increase the popularity of the circuit.
- Ian Edwards Asks: Is Diamond League Saving Athletics In GBR?
- Diamond League Claims Diamond League TV Numbers Nearly Tripled From 2009 To 2010 We'd love to see how they got their numbers, as most DL meets in the US do not even get a rating from Nielsen.
Pre-NCAAs Week That Was
LRC Week That Was We give some props to a guy you may not be familiar with (Geoffrey Mutai), analyze Vin Lananna's dig at other collegiate XC programs, compare the American men marathoners to the American women, look at the 15k WR by Leonard Komon and discuss a 400m star who may move up to the 800.
More Rudisha AOY News
Famed Coach Brother Colm O'Connell Says Rudisha's "Not There Yet" To truly be considered great, the world record holder needs a world and Olympic title.
"The Party Continues" The Standard of Kenya The worldwide domination of little LetsRun.com continues as this Kenyan article quotes from LetsRun.com detailing the incredible gathering of David Rudisha, Seb Coe, Wilson Kipketer and Alberto Juantorena in one room for the first time ever. If you haven't read our recap of the event or watched the exclusive video Juantorena wants a copy of, click here.
2010 NCAAs Are History *Women's Results *LRC Women's Photo Gallery *Men's Results *LRC Men's Photo Gallery
*LRC Sheila Reid Leads Villanova To Repeat Title!!! Individual champ Sheila Reid led 'Nova to a record 9th title as Florida State was 2nd and #10 Texas Tech was 3rd.
*Reid The Leader Of The Pack As 'Nova Repeats Reid has overcome the injury that ended Bo Jackson's career.
*Oregonian: Oregon Ends Up With Two 3rd Place Individuals In Hasay And Puskedra
*AP Recap Of NCAA Meet *ESPN.com Recap *Philly.com Recap Of 'Nova And Reid
(More Men's Coverage in 1st Column)
2010 Co-Ed Chiba Ekiden
- Japanese College Team Pulls Shocker And Wins They defeated the Japanese national team in the process.
- IAAF Recap Of Race With Stage Results
- More Detailed Stage Results
- Team USA Finishes Fifth At International Chiba Ekiden
- Led By Craig Mottram, Australia Finishes 7th Mottram ran 13:49 for a 5k leg where the fastest time was 13:32. Bobby Curtis ran 13:36 on the leg.
Recommended Read: Q&A With Famed Track And Field Journalist James Dunaway He'll be only the 2nd journalist inducted into the T&F Hall of Fame and he deserves the honor after more than 50 years in the sport. A great guy and an LRC visitor.
A Truly Crazy Read: Two Rochester, NY Old Guys Battling It Out To Become 1st Marathoner To Run 1,000 In History One is 79 years old and had a stroke and lives in a nursing home and has a walker but plans to run some more while his 90-year-old friend is playing catchup as he's 220 behind.
Other News Of Note
- World Champ Joseph Ebuya Wins Again In Spanish XC Race *World 5k Champ Vivian Cheruiyot Wins Meet In Kenya XC *Recap From Kenya
- Thank God Leonard Chuene Loses Court Battle To Get His Job Back
- Craig Mottram Ready For Mid-Week Chiba Ekiden
- After Sabbatical, Yelena Isinbayeva Eyes Sergey Bubka's Mark Of 35 World Records
- Australian John Fahey Re-Elected As Head Of WADA
- Oregon's Bid To Host 2011 NCAAs Is Dead??? The NCAA is so stupid and apparently is upset the race was going to be held at a race track.
Pro Overseas Distance Action
- Leonard Patrick Komon Smashes 15km World Record He took 16 seconds off the old record by running 41:13, which is 27:28 10,000 pace. Video: Old Record Holder Felix Lim Interviews New Record Holder Komon.
- Geoffrey Mutai Run 59:38 To Win New Delhi Half As Aselefech Mergia Repeats In Women's Race
- Haile Gebrselassie Serves As Starter At Ethiopian Airlines Great Ethiopian Run, Which Is Won By A New Bekele & A Former World Jr. Champ
Amazing 50-Year-Old Elina Zvereva Aiming For 2012 Games In Discus She's no slouch, as she did win Olympic gold at age 39.
NCAA D3s Are In The Books *Men's Results *Women's Results *MBoard Talk
- Women: Terry Aldrich Goes Out On Top Middlebury gave its retiring 36-year coach the perfect going away present as they won their sixth title since 2000 despite putting no one in the top 23.
- Pre-Race: Aldrich Ready For Final NCAA Run *Middlebury Piece On Aldrich
- Men: Anders Hulleberg Leads #2 Haverford To Win Over North Central Nothing tops taking home the individual and team titles.
Alberto - Read This: Scientists Say They Have No Idea How Form Really Works & How Fast People Can Truly Run This article seems to be written for people who believe Alberto Salazar's obsession with form is all wrong.
HS News: CBA's Mike Mazzaccaro Claims Title As Greatest CBA Runner In History As His 15:20 Leads Team To Fastest Avg. Time In NJ History
*Weekly HS Recap NJ MOC, MA state meet and a lot more.
IAAF Meetings In Monaco (Wejo On Site)
LRC IAAF Rights Its Financial Ship While much of the running world is getting ready to travel to wonderful Terre Haute, LetsRun.com's beloved Wejo is living the life of luxury, attending the IAAF meetings in Monaco. Fortunately, after running into Bernard Lagat in front of the beautiful casino, he took the time to give you a few insights from Day 1 of the IAAF meetings, where it was announced the IAAF will balance its book through 2015 by cutting back on expenditures. Plus he looks at the sports popularity in Europe.
- Standards For 2011 Worlds Announced The men's 1,500m and 10k got a lot harder to make. In addition, the qualifying window for events shorter than the 10k is now one year.
- Official IAAF Day 1 Notes The budget is in order.
- IAAF Still Working On Rules On Hyperandrogenism
- Atsushi Hoshino To Receive IAAF World Journalism Award; His Wife Was A 1952 Olympian For Japan
Haile Gebrselassie News
LRC Update Former Imprisoned Ethiopian Journalist Says Hermens'/Gebrselassie's Leak And Then Denial Of NY Times Report Is Part Of Attempt To Raise Awareness Of Geb's Plight In Ethiopia, Where He's Had A Lease To Land Worth At Least $7.2 Million Taken By The Government The story talks about the land being worth between 120,000,000 and 150,000,000 birr, which
converts to $7.2 and $9.1 million US dollars.
Gebrselassie Says He's Still Planning To Run Tokyo Marathon In February Geb's team is now smartly trying to change the topic of conversation. We'll hopefully have an update tomorrow on some of the emails we've received on the news below.
LRC Update The NY Times Stands Firm: "The New York Times stands by its story." Plus we have commentary from an Ethiopian political expert who says making Geb and Hermens deny the story is typical of the government.
LRC Jos Hermens And Haile Gebrselassie Take To National TV To Deny NY Times Story - Were They Forced To Do It? Hermens has denied telling the New York Times Haile's phones were tapped and Haile also ripped the paper. *Coverage On Ethiosports.com
Geb's Knee Pain Is Gone & He'll Run In Tokyo In February
Marion Jones Continues To Lie - Thankfully, We Aren't The Only Ones Who Are Outraged
- The Continued Disgrace Of Marion Jones
- Marion Jones: Clearly Still Lying MJ practically perjured herself last week on Comedy Central and people are outraged.
Fukuoka Field Announced Jaouad Gharib & Kebede Tekeste will headline in December. Fasil Bizuneh and Andrew Lemoncello will race as well.
Swimming Reminds Us Of USATF
Swimming National Coach Fired Even Though He Was Promised He Could Continue For Six To 10 Years
LRC Tributes Pour In For The Great Haile Gebrselassie Last week, the world was shocked as the great Haile Gebrselassie retired. The retirement was short-lived but our inbox was flooded with tributes to the great Haile. We share some of them with you, including one from a man who calls Haile an inspiration for millions, another who admits he cried when he watched Haile retire and painted a picture of Haile in victory in Berlin, and lastly a note from a college sophomore in the US who found it easy to be inspired by Haile but hard to be inspired by US stars like Prefontaine, whom he calls an "alcoholic frat boy who refused to listen to anyone" or drug cheats like Alex Rodriguez and Marion Jones or others who have "sexually harassed women (Brett Favre, Kobe Bryant, Ben Roethlisberger)" or "abandoned his family or fans (Tiger Woods, LeBron James)."
Paul Tergat Tells Daily Nation He's Happy To See Old Rival Geb Unretire Three Great Tergat Quotes:
1. "Legends of any sport do not retire; instead, they fade off the stage graciously and continue working in the disciplines they know best."
2. "Gebrselassie has done everything in the sport except win a marathon with stiff competition."
3. "Deep down, when he is all alone sitting by the fire, Haile must realise he dropped one of the biggest clangers of his running career."
Public Service Announcement
800m Royalty Together For The First Time Ever: Juantorena, Coe, Kipketer And Rudisha (It's Well Worth A Watch If You Have The Time, Or Read The Recap Here)
Webb Beats Rupp - Silicon Valley Turkey Trot Finish Video - More, Including Interview With Salazar, At Spiked Up Psyched Up Blog
Previous Asian Games News
- North Korean Attack Casts Shadow Over Asian Games
- Day 3: Maryam Jamal Defends Her Gold Medal At 1,500 And Then Defends Her Decision To Run For Bahrain
- Day 2 Asian Games Recap
- Yusuf Saad Kamel Fails To Make 1,500 Final And Then Denounces His Own Country For Making Him Compete If you don't want to be treated like a piece of property, we suggest you don't sell your nationality to the highest bidder.
- IAAF Day 1 Recap: Indian Women Stun Chinese & Japanese To Go 1-2 In 10,000 Preeja Sreedharan ran a new Indian record of 31:50 for gold.
Old 15k WR Holder Interviews New WR Holder
They Both Crossed The Line First At Worlds
- Former World 10k Champ Charles Kamathi Now Focused On Marathon And Helping Find Young Talent In Kenya
- After Crossing Finish Line First At Worlds 1,500m In 2009, Spain's Natalia Rodriguez Not Happy With European Bronze In 2010
LetsRun.com's Message Boarders Rejoice
Despite Being European 400m Champ, Kevin Borlée's Dad Wants Him To Move Up To The 800 He is the "slow" Borlée twin yet was the European champ this year. He's not ready to move up.
NYC Champ Edna Kiplagat Getting Props In Boulder
- Kiplagat Wins NYC, Relaxes In Boulder And Her Family Wants To Know If She Met Edison Pena
- Denver Post Profile On Kiplagat And Her Training In Boulder
- Comrades (Ultra)Marathon To Give Special Access To Charity Runners
- Two Aussies - Peter Crombie And Marie Kay - Are World Masters Athletes Of Year