Quote Of The Day
“We’re seeking to put people right at the edge of human capability. They torture themselves and are forced to go beyond where they are usually willing to go. I don’t know any other races that are at 1 percent. It’s a trick to get 1 percent. It has to be hard enough that 99 percent will fail, and yet doable enough that 1 percent make it. People want to be part of that 1 percent.”
“… Every time somebody finishes, I feel elevated just to be present when an achievement of that magnitude is accomplished. To watch them from beginning to end, what they have to endure, and just this absolute refusal to surrender. You feel like you’re a better person just because you saw someone that big.”
– Founder and race director Gary Cantrell, talking about The Barkley Marathons, a 100-mile ultra-marathon in Tennessee. In the 30-year history of the race, there have only been 14 finishers. The race includes about 65,000 feet of climbing (more than twice the height of Mt. Everest) and a $1.60 entry fee … although RD Gary Cantrell says, “You pay for this with a chunk of your soul.”
- If you were offered $1 million today to never run again - would you take it?
- Brenda Martinez Training
- Do you believe Bekele runs 130km (80 miles) per week?
- Nike Picks up Justin Gatlin, Will NOT Sign Tyson Gay (Bizarre Update: But He'll Still Get Paid to Run in Nike Gear)
- can I gain upper body muscle while running 60 mpw?
- Emma Coburn and Evan Longoria do a New Balance Sportscenter commercial