Amazing: Two Weeks After Running 2:10:29 At Fukuoka, Yuki Kawauchi Wins Hofu Marathon In 2:10:46 This was a WR for the shortest-ever time between sub-2:11 performances. The 63-year-old age record also went down as Yoshihisa Hosaka ran 2:46:30. Watch out Ed Whitlock.
*World XC Bronze Medalist Vincent Chepkok And Mercy Cherono Take The Wins At Spanish Venta de Banos XC Meet Sub 27-10k runner Kenneth Kipkemoi was 2nd.
*Former Amsterdam Marathon Champ Magdalene Chemjor Wins Kisumu International Marathon In 2:31:12 Daniel Kipkorir Kilimo won the men's race in 2:14:48 as last year's champ, Joseph Biwot, finished outside the top 10.
*IAAF Recap: Universal Entertainment wins Japan Corporate Women’s Ekiden
*Jackson Limo Wins Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission 10k In 29:09 This is the race you had to be registered to vote in order to compete.
Track Starts Soon
- After A 4th Place Finish At Euro XC Champs, Tom Farrell Heads To Australia For Some Training And Hopes Of Breaking His 13:15 5k PR All this after he was almost not picked for the Euro Cross team after missing the trials race due to OSU exams.
- Oscar Pistorius Will Get His Season Going March 9th In Australia
- MileSplit Recap Weekend HS Indoor Result
- Aussie Distance Runner Benita Wills Makes Her Case In Support Of Going To Altitude Ahead Of The Upcoming Track Season She focuses more on the training atmosphere rather than the physiological benefits.
- Russia's HJ Olympic Champ Ivan Ukhov Opening His Indoor Campaign In The Czech Republic Next Month
Well, not for these two:
- France's European 100m Record Holder Christine Arron Is Retiring As She's Pregnant With Her Second Child Her record of 10.73 ranks 5th all-time.
- Olympic 1500m 8th Placer Lucia Klocova Named Slovak Athlete Of The Year, But Has Said She Will Be Taking The Next Year Off For Her Pregnancy
A MUST Read - One Of The Greatest Races Ever Run - The US Women's Version Of The Billy Mills 10,000 Win
RWorld Reintroduces The World To Debbie Heald, Who 40 Years Ago Incredibly Ran The US HS Indoor Mile Record Of 4:38.5 Steve Friedman's piece on Heald is moving to say the least. Heald, whose father had committed suicide,
who had been molested and who was always battling injury (13 different running-related surgeries), somehow
at the US vs. USSR meet at age 16 in 1972 beat the greatest runners in the world, including the indoor 1,500 record holder and that year's eventual Olympic 1,500 champion, by running an a 8.5-second PR of 4:38.5. She came from way back to win thanks to a ferocious kick and she was known for having no kick. Her life since then has been full of struggles with schizophrenia but her HS indoor record still stands.
MB: Debbie Heald article in RW
Heald's Incredible 1972 Race
More On Heald:
*2002 LA Times Feature
*1972 Sports Illustrated
*1967 Faces In The Crowd At Age 11
From The MB:
*16-year-old Debbie Heald takes down the Russians, sets AR in 1972
*No wikipedia entry for Debbie Heald ...
*1972 USA vs. USSR: 16-year-old wins the women's mile in a national record. (still standing)
*1972 Video Of Debbie Heald
Did You Know? Sunday's Marathon In Kenya Costs $3.32 To Enter & Features $2,322 1st Prize The 1st prize is 699 times the entry fee so it would be like the New York City marathon paying out $178,346 for 1st place ($255 fee), which is about right, as the winner of NY likely gets more than that if you factor in an appearance fee.
Not Very Good At Running? Maybe There Is Hope
NCAA Champ Kennedy Kithuka Says He Sucked As A Jr. In HS "When I was a junior in high school, running was not fun. It was hard for me. I was slow."
Of Course It Helps If You Run 8:47 In HS The IAAF Looks At Evan Jager's Meteoric Rise In The Steeple
Former Stanford Runners In The News
- USATF Catches Up With 2012 US Club XC Champ Jake Riley He led Hansons-Brooks to the team title in a race he was confident he would win (as he should have been as there weren't too many 13:32/28:08 guys in the field).
- RW Q&A With USATF Club XC Champ And Hansons Runner Jake Riley
- Chris Derrick Talks About His Decision To Join Jerry Schumacher (14 Min. Video) He lives in a super-fast house with Elliot Heath, Evan Jager and German Fernandez.
- More Hansons-Brooks News Neely Spence's Last Mile In Australia Was Sub-5:00
More Charity News
*"Bolt Gold" Nissan GT-R Sells For $187,100 At Charity Auction The price was twice what was expected and goes to the Usain Bolt Foundation. Besides the color, it includes his signature on the dash.
Oscar P Versus The Horse
International: Abel Kirui Wants A Three-Peat At World Champs
- Abel Kirui Says He'll Run London In April And Then Focus On Defending His World Championship Title "The World marathon title is important and I must defend it. I will shelve any other plans to focus on this one ... Rio in 2016 is still a possibility and I can not shut out myself saying I will not be able to make it then. But this is Kenya and four years in marathon running is a long time."
- Laureus: Usain Bolt, Mo Farah, Allyson Felix, Jessica Ennis, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Among Track Athletes Nominated For Laureus World Sports Award Non-track athletes include Michael Phelps, Missy Franklin, Lindsey Vonn and Serena Williams. *Full Nomination Lists
- Tirunesh Dibaba And Felix Sanchez Up For Laureus World Comeback Of The Year
- IAAF Profile On 2010 World Junior Heptathlon Champ Dafne Schippers, Who Finished 12th In The London Games She started doing all the events when she was only 9 years old.
- Valerie Adams Among Top Names Searched By New Zealanders On Google She was 6th on the overall people list (Usain Bolt was #4) and first on the list of New Zealanders (Nick Willis was 6th).
The Running Event Is In The Books *Photos
LRC The 2012 Running Event Is In The Books: Five Takeaways On The Industry Shark Tank's Daymond John Speaks The trade show for specialty running shops was last week in Austin, Texas and LRC's Wejo was there plus Ryan Hall,
Meb Keflezighi, and most of Saucony's top athletes. The running industry should be renamed the "how to not get injured" industry. Some take-aways from the convention.
*Press Release: The Running Event 2012 Attracts 2,100 To Austin
Foot Locker Finals *Results *Boys Photo Gallery *Legends Pre-Race Photo Gallery
Boys: Edward Cheserek Repeats After Battle With Sean McGorty McGorty, the South champ, and Jake Leingang, the Midwest champ, didn't make it easy for Cheserek, but there is a reason Cheserek
doesn't lose - he's
the best in the US high school ranks. The four Regional winners went 1-2-3-4. *Results *Milesplit Recap *Edward Cheserek Interview
Girls: Anna Rohrer Overcomes Fall To Win Rohrer pulled away for the win after falling after the start. Her Midwest teammates dominated the race with 6 in the top 10. Catarina Rocha of the Northeast was the runner-up, with both runner-ups having a least one Foot Locker finalist parent. *Results *Steve U's Recap *Anna Rohrer Interview
*OTB: Sarah Baxter 2016 Olympics? *wow footlocker, get your cameras fixed. learn how to cover a national race *Has Foot Locker gone too far?
UK News: Paula Hasn't Given Up Yet
RR: Paula Radcliffe: "I'm kind of at that crossroads coming off a big surgery and I desperately don't want my career to be finished." The plan is to be back running by Christmas and then start racing next year with a 10k or half in the spring and a marathon in the fall.
*UKA Chairman Ed Warner Says Retractable Seating Is Key To The Success Of The Olympic Stadium And Says They Should Have Been Installed From The Start He said retractable seating "allows us to use the stadium for all the athletics we need each summer, big rock concerts, and for a full football season" and be used 52 weeks a year.
*Jessica Ennis Talks About How She Hated Weight Training When She Was Younger Because She Didn't Want To Get Bigger
Ryan Hall To Be Coached By Renato Canova America's 2:04:58 man, who just turned 30 in Oct., blogged today that he'll
be coached by famed coach Renato Canova - the famed LRC poster who in the past has coached/advised many Kenyan stars. We wonder if the relationship will be a traditional coaching one or more of an advisor role.
*Canova: Hall is "such a great talent."
*MB Discussion On Ryan Hall's Decision
More On Canova From The MB:
MB: Part 1 Of Canova Profile *Part 2
*Summary Of Renato Canova Principles
Kenenisa Bekele Finishes His Track
Kenenisa Bekele Builds His Own Track/Runner's Paradise In Ethiopia And Hotel For Athletes Wishing To Use It It is in an area with 20 miles of forest trails in the mountains as well as flat woods right behind the hotel. He says he spent $1.5 million on the track, which currently has 6 lanes, but he plans on adding 2 more and adding seating so they can host elite track meets.
Lolo Jones Has Survived Her First Bobsled Crash And she even jokes about it: "God is real. I saw him today and he said come back later."
In Case You Were Gone Over The Weekend: IAAF Gala Awarding Athlete Of Year And Celebrating 100 Years Of IAAF
Usain Bolt, Allyson Felix: 2012 IAAF Athletes Of The Year Bolt won out over Aries Merritt and David Rudisha and of course Mo Farah (who was not a finalist, which means he didn't finish in the top 3). Jessica Ennis and Valerie Adams were the other women's finalists. LRC cast its ballot for Rudisha and Felix. The IAAF should release the vote tallies.
- Rudisha Says He Thought He Could Have Run 1:40.50 This Year
- No Long Jump, 400m For Bolt In 2013
- Tirunesh Dibaba Says She No Longer Thinks of Breaking 10k World Record
- Aries Merritt Has Changed His Pin Codes Hoping To Go Sub-12.80
- World Champs Stadium Seating In Moscow Will Be Diminished From 80,000 To 50,000
Thanksgiving Day Action
And To Think, Unlike Lance, He's Actually Clean
Unbelievable 4 Months After Nearly Dying In Bike Crash, Lukas V Runs 5:25 Pace For 2.5 Miles The phenom who went sub-4 in HS is truly thankful to be second in his age group. *MB Thread On Lukas V's Comeback
Chiba Ekiden: Galen Rupp Wins His Leg With 28:20 10k Split (28:46 Was 2nd) As Kenya Edges Japan The most impressive running by a male may have come from New Zealand's Zane Robertson, who ran 13:29 on leg #1. His twin Jake also won his leg. *MB: On Chiba Ekiden
Recommended Read: Update On Twin NZ Runners Jake And Zane Robertson, Who Moved To Kenya On Their Own At 17 Years Old To Pursue Their Running Dreams Zane: "Without Jake I wouldn't have survived. I would have given up. Having each other, when the other one was sick or down, you raise him up. In the concrete cell that kept us going. ... I'm so thankful we went through those hardships for one or two years, because going through them, the way Kenyans do, if you survive you can go through anything."
Track And Field's Male Fans Are Thankful For This
Fit Again & Recovered From Achilles Surgery & Bacterial Infection, Blanka Vlasic Is Ready To Compete Again
Christmas Comes Early to LetsRun.com: LetsRun.com Tshirts $5 + $5 Shipping Per Order The first batch of LRC shirts sold like hotcakes. We took them offline and now want to get rid of the few remaining sizes before Christmas. Happy Holidays!
- Lukas V Update: Video Interview With Lukas Verzbicas On The Difference Between Running And The Triathlon And Where He's At Now He talks about what he misses about track and how he thinks Andrew Wheating would do a good tri.
- 7 Schools Leaving The Big East To Start Their Own Conference Focused On Basketball The schools are Georgetown, St. John’s, Villanova, DePaul, Marquette, Seton Hall and Providence.
Random But Interesting
Ask Asafa: Asafa Powell Now Has His Own Advice Column In A Magazine Called "All Woman" He will answer questions on style, fitness and relationships. His first column: "10 Worst Christmas Gifts for Men".
Video Of 12 Year Old Who Can Run The 100m In 11.72 Seconds The kid is 12 and has already heard from multiple talent scounts including The Michael Johnson Spire Athletics Institute and teams from Australia's rugby league.
- Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Javelin Gold Medalist Keshorn Walcott Gets A 3,9100 Dollar House As A Gift From The Government The lesson here is ... Win your country's first Olympic gold medal in 36 years and you're set for life.
Interview With Former SP WR Holder And Olympic Bronze Medalist Jüri Tamm Who Is Leading The Ukranian Olympic Committee's Bid For 2022 Winter Games He talks about gaining inspiration from his father who pole vaulted 3m with only one arm.
- After The Irish Team Won Euro XC Champs, Former Team Manager Anne Keenan-Buckley Says She Still Thinks They Could Be Doing Better She hinted that she might be willing to come back if some things changed.
Irish Olympic Sprinter Says Lack Of Facilities Doesn't Hurt Irish Athletes, People And Coaches Are More Important Paul Hession: "Facilities are nothing to do with it. I think that's overplayed in the Irish media."
2012 World's Fastest 1,500 Runner - The 3:56 Abeba Aregawi - Is Now Competing For Sweden And Is Eyeing European Indoor Gold She has lived there since 2009 and is married to a Swede but some would says was bullied into running for Ethiopia at the Olympics. We're not sure how she doesn't have to sit out. Under normal situations, rules for, say, Worlds would require a 3-year sit-out (see page 25).
RTribe Says LRC Is Wrong And Kiprotich Should Be World #1 LRC wrong? Never.
- BALCO Figure - Tammy Thomas - Released From Probation Early So She Can Possibly Get Her Law License We try to not laugh, but a person convicted of perjury was inspired
by her trial to get a law license? And looking at that picture of the former cyclist on the right (click on it to see it larger), to think she even tried to lie about being on steroids!
*Nice Long Article On Thomas Here She shrieked at the prosecutors when they convicted her, but she does sound changed now.
- 2004 Olympic And 2005 World Hammer Champ Olga Kuzenkova Fails
2004 Olympic2005 World Championships Drug Re-Test *2nd Article
- Maybe Racewalking Is A Sport: European Under-23 Women's 20km Racewalk Champ Banned For 2 Years For Blood Doping
- Christian Hesch Accepts 2-Year EPO Ban
- Comrades Winner Ludwick Mamabolo To Find Out In January If He'll Be Banned His lawyers have pointed out 10 irregularities in the testing process, including the fact he was left unattended for 10 minutes, which they may not realize is in place so people don't cheat the test. *Lawyers: "Botched System" Means He Should Go Free
Update: 9.88 Man Michael Frater Has Left MVP Club But Hasn't Joined Usain Bolt's Club He's focused on knee surgery rehab and will find a training group later.
For 4th Straight Year,
Nut-Job Man Breaks Record For Most Marathons In A Year 67-year-old Larry Macon has run at least 139 marathons this year after doing 113 last year. Pretty inspiring and crazy all at the same time.
Britain Gets Ready To Name Its BBC Sports Personality Of The Year
- Bookies Say Bradley Wiggins is Favorite For BBC Sports Personality of The Year - Track Fans Prefer Farah (49%) over Ennis (39%) And to think, Paul Kimmage isn't sure if Bradley Wiggins is clean. Of course, not everyone is sure the track athletes are clean either.
- Twelve Guardian Writers Makes Their Cases For 12 Different Candidates For BBC Award On Sunday People are trying to make this more dramatic than it really is. Farah or Ennis or that cyclist will win. Mark our words.
- Jessica Ennis: "Girls cry when they see me, like I was in a boyband." "I felt like I was [in] a boyband. I said: 'Why are you crying?' And they couldn't even talk. Then I felt like I was going to cry. I was like: 'Oh, you're not sad, are you?'"
- Irish News: Athletics Ireland's Post-Olympic Review Is Delayed Until January As They Are Talking To Every Coach & Athlete
Don't Let Racial Stereotypes Hold You Back: Jamaican Breaststroker Wins Country's 1st-Ever Medal At The FINA World Swimming Short Course Championships
Athletics Illustrated: Ryan Hall And Renato Canova Talk About Their New Coaching Partnership Canova: "I didn't speak about his career, that I knew very well, neither about his previous training. I was not interested in these particulars. I wanted to know something more about his motivation, his life, his relation with the faith, his objectives, his current physical conditions (not really good)."
Sammy W. Didn't Wait: Alberto Salazar Says Galen Rupp Won't Run A Marathon Until After 2016 Olympics Salazar: "You move up when you feel you've sort of plateaued at the lower distance and only when you feel you're not a medalist at the shorter distance." All we can say is - Sammy Wanjiru certainly didn't wait.
- Spikes Magazine Interviews Morgan Uceny From Her New Training Base In Loughborough, England She says that coach Terrence Mahon said she did nothing wrong in London, she thinks men are better at running tactically then women, and ends by saying, "I just need to get on the podium. I've had my goals for several years and I just need to make it happen."
Sports Science: Viagra Improves Performance In More Ways Than One
Athletics Illustrated Q&A With Steve Magness Apparently Viagra when combined with high altitude training has the potential to improve athletic performance.
- WSJ Continues Its Campaign To Discourage People From Exercising: Study Says Playing A Round Of Golf Is Just As Beneficial As A 100-Mile Bike Ride For Aiding Longevity We stopped reading after the second paragraph, when we saw the study is based on data taken from Olympian mortality records between 1896 and 1936.
- On The Other Hand ... Study Finds Olympic Medalists Live On Average 2.8 Years Longer Than Average Population This study looked at Olympic athletes between 1896 and 2010.
2013 Dubai Marathon Is Set For Record Registration, Including One From Moses Mosop The 2:03:06 man hasn't been seen since "disappointing" with a 2:05:03 in Rotterdam in April.
Weekend Action *Full USATF Club XC Results *Zatopek Results *Euro XC Results
Honolulu Marathon: Wilson Kipsang Solidifies World #1 Ranking With Negative Split Win 2:04:54 man Markos Geneti was 37 seconds back in second. 2008 Olympic
decathlon champ Bryan Clay ran 4:46:31.
Women: Russia's Valentina Galimova Comes From Behind To Win In 2:31:23 American Stephanie Rothstein Bruce was third in 2:32:47.
*Bryan Clay Ran The Honolulu Marathon With His Wife Only 8 Weeks After Having Surgery For Five Hernias Clay: "It was a beast. The decathlon is a completely different animal."
On The Boards: Is Wilson Kipsang the #1 Marathoner in the world in 2012 regardless of what happens in Honolulu? *Honolulu Live Talk
USATF Club Nationals: Hansons-Brooks Distance Project's Jacob Riley And Boulder Running Company's Mattie Suver Win Club XC Titles Hansons-Brooks men and Team USA Minnesota women won the team titles. On the men's side, brothers Craig and Matthew Forys were second and fourth. US mile record holder Alan Webb was 7th.
*Team USA Minnesota Press Release
*USATF Club XC Recap
*More Results/Discussion In This Thread
Zatopek 10k: Neely Spence Runs 32:16 In 10,000 Debut As Ben St. Lawrence Tries To Run With Emmanuel Bett But Bett Wins By 36+ Seconds Difficult conditions made the times slow (27:59 for the men's win). *2012 Zatopek Results *IAAF Recap *Photos *Discuss
European XC Champs: Fionnuala Britton Defends Her Title While Leading Irish Women To First-Ever Team Victory; Italy's Andrea Lalli Wins Men's Race Men: Spain wins team title as OSU's Tom Farrell was 4th, Ukraine's 9-time champ Sergey Lebid 15th, and Belgium's defending champ Atewlaw Bekele back in 57th (for the best, since he's likely to be suspended after missing 3 drug tests). Women, Portugal's Dulce Felix was 2nd as Ireland won the team race by one point over France. *Full Results
Other Weekend Results: Jesse Squire At T&F Superfan Reviews Weekend College Marks North Carolina State's Ryan Hill led weekend performances, winning the 5,000 at Indiana's Hoosier Open in 13:43.52 over IU's Zachary Mayhew (13:51.79).
*World Half Marathon bronze Medallist John Mwangangi And Pauline Njeru Win 15Km race honours during Safaricom Imenti South Road Race 15k Patrick Makau was present and said he was preparing for London 2013, but decided to offer himself for team selection to the Kenyan Moscow 2013 team instead.
*Lawi Lalang Opens Indoor Season With A 3-Race Workout He won the 1,000m (2:30.16), 600m (1:22.18) and 3,000m (8:51.09).
*USATF: Junior Olympic Cross-Country Champions Crowned In Albuquerque
Recommended Read: Emil Zatopek - An Incredible Runner (4 Olympic Golds), But An Even Better Man You may know about his legendary workouts like 60 x 400 in army boots but may not know he was a very kind man.
3:37.23 Man Ben Blankenship Is On Comeback
Now As Part Of OTC Has a 3:37/3:54 collegiate miler ever gotten less pub than this guy? He was the 3k
runner-up to Heath in 2011.
Despite Gold & WR, David Rudisha Still Dreaming Big On & Off Track He wants another Olympic title in 4 years and hopes the youth are used to promote peace in Kenya, instead of being used as props by politicians. "One would say I have it all ... a World title, Olympic title and the world record but I always have something to motivate me."
LRC The Week That Was: November 26 - December 2, 2012 This week we start with praise for Bill Aris, who has built the greatest dynasty in US cross-country history. We then tell you why the 2012 Fukuoka Marathon will be remembered for what didn't happen rather than what did. Along the way we talk about 10 greatest half marathoners in history and wonder if anyone running more than 25 mpw or faster than 7:30 miles is killing themselves. Plus talk of Adam Nelson, Haile G, Paula Radcliffe and Martin Lel.
Some Of The Few Remaining Track & Field Journalists Weigh In On Adam Nelson
US News: Adam Nelson On His Way To Becoming An Olympic Champion
- Good News: 4 Throwers From 2004 Athens Olympics Officially Stripped Of Their Medals After Doping Retests *2nd Article
- Which Means ... Q&A With Adam Nelson, Who Stands To Be Upgraded To Gold After Official IOC Announcement Stripping Yuriy Bilonog Of His Medal "To be honest, it feels really strange and it's a weird feeling. I've heard the rumors before and have not given the rumors much credit until an official ruling. Now that it's happened I'm excited. It is all just sinking in. You know, I feel I excited as I did to not lose that event [in 2004]; I was second on a tie-breaker. I feel good that I will always be the person who threw farthest on that day."
The World Is A Corrupt Place - Doping/Corruption News
- A Must Read For Anti-Dopers: Paul Kimmage - The One Man Who Seemingly Has Always Tried To Clean Up Doping In Cyling - Gives An In-Depth Interview On Lance Armstrong, he says, "That would be my view - fantastic bike rider, but not a Tour winner. I would say no: He would not have won a Tour without doping." LetsRun tweeted that quote to Lance. He also reveals what it was like to discover his Irish heroes were dopers as well.
- Important News IAAF Wins 1st Case At Court Of Arbitration For Sport Involving Biological Passport Thanks to the biological passport, the IAAF was able to show repeated doping, which nets a 4-year ban.
*Reuters: Greek distance runner Irini Kokkinariou ban is doubled after IAAF appeal
Sad News: Two-Time Foot Locker Finalist Arrested For Murder Eric Kweder, who has popped up in a number of threads over the years, was 9th in 1995 as an 11th grader - one spot ahead of eventual Olympian Jonathan Riley.
Weekend Results: Fukuoka Marathon: Results *Cal International: Flash Results
- Fukuoka: Joseph Gitau Is The Surprise Winner In Fukuoka In 2:06:58 Hiroyuki Horibata was the top Japanese runner in 2:08:24 as Poland's Henryk Szost was 3rd (2:08:42), Arata Fujiwara 4th and
the topsecond Japanese (2:09:31), and Yuki Kawauchi 6th (2:10:29). Mohamed Trafeh led for the US in 7th (2:11:41) over Ryan Vail (8th - 2:11:45) and Tim Nelson 12th (2:14:09). Haile Gebrselassie, Simon Bairu, Martin Mathathi and Brent Vaughn were all DNFs. *Full Results
- Haile G Tweets About His DNF At Fukuoka He says he had a leg cramp and couldn't lift it. But he'll be looking for another marathon to run because he feels he's in "good shape."
- IAAF Recap Gitau was a huge surprise winner has his PR before this race was 2:21:54. Geb dropped out at 32k while Mathathi made it to 38k.
- MB: Mo Trafeh, Ryan Vail 2:11:4x at Fukuoka *Official Fukuoka Marathon thread along with working link *Coach Jerry fails in Marathon again
CIM: Daniel Tapia And Alisha Williams Win CIM In Horrible Wet And Windy Conditions Tapia is the first American winner since 1993 and won with 2:16:30 over Tesfaye Alemayehu (2:17:07). 2:11 man Nick Arciniaga was 5th in 2:18:37. In the women's race Williams beat out Clara Peterson 2:34:58 to 2:35:36. *Full Results
- Video Interview With Danny Tapia *Interview With Alisha Williams She thanks the "awesome guys" who let her and Peterson sit behind them for large portions of the race.
- MB: **OFFICIAL CIM THREAD** *CIM - 35 mph headwind?
- Dutch 15k: Geoffrey Mutai Sets CR At Heereenberg 15k In The Netherlands With 42:25 (4:33/ Mile Pace) Mutai beat a deep field including Philip Langat (a close 2nd in 42:26), 2:04:50 man Getu Feleke (3rd) and 2:04:16 marathoner David Kimetto (6th). Ethiopian Atsede Baysa won the women's race in 49:15.
*Good Race Video Of Geoffrey Mutai Winning Netherlands 15k (Commentary In Dutch) Skip to 2:29 into video for race coverage.
Sad Doping News: Comrades Marathon Winner Ludwick Mamabolo Could Get Off On A Technicality After Failing Drug Test Apparently there were a few protocol mistakes in the testing process, however none of them seem like they would actually have any effect on the result of the test.
BBC Sports Personality Of The Year Award *Full List Of Winners
- Tour de France Champion Bradley Wiggins Wins BBC Sports Personality Of The Year Award Jessica Ennis was 2nd. Seb Coe won the Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Usain Bolt Wins Overseas Sports Personality Of The Year Award
- British Olympic And Paralympic Teams Win "Team Of The Year" Sports Personality Award
- The Guardian Play By Play Of Sports Personality Of The Year Awards
- Other UK News: Good Interview With Paralympic 100m Champ Jonnie Peacock On The London Games And Everything After "I remember I would never walk around in shorts, people staring. Now people are more proud of who they are."
*100m Parlympic Champion Jonnie Peacock Complains That He Thinks Paralympic Events Do Not Get Enough Attention In The Diamond League "They're kind of put in there as a filler, like cheerleaders coming out at half-time."
- Four Scenes From London Parlympics Show Up In Google's Yearly Highlights Film, "Google Zeitgeist"
Wetmore-Simpson Round II
LRC Jenny Simpson Coaching Switch Update Former CU Buff Stephen Kasica has some details on Simpson training in Boulder last week. Plus there is a cool multimedia timeline on Simpson's career and some perspective. Simpson won Worlds under Juli Benson, yet never ran within 3.5 seconds of her 1,500m PR. Fascinating.
More Post-European XC News
LRC Meet The 2012 European Cross-Country Champions LetsRun prides
itself on promoting the sport's stars as individuals and not just as a group. Normally our efforts are devoted to "the Africans" but today we do the same for "the Europeans." Meet the junior woman who destroyed Mary Cain, meet the "Viking version of Centro" and potentially Italy and
Ireland's next marathon stars.
*After A Silver And Bronze The Last Two Years, Serbia's Amela Terzic Finally Got Gold At Euro XC Champs The 1,500 runner was 5 meters down with 500 to go but unelased a sick kick that got her a 9-second win.
*Italian Who Dominated European XC, Andrea Lalli , Has Been Living In Kenya Training With Gianni Di Madonna's Group For Two Years
*Don't Give Up: Both Silver Medallists At European Cross Overcame Mid-Race Struggles Hassan Chahdi of France and Ana Dulce Félix of Portugal showed there is a reason why you run the whole race.
Down Goes Rohrer (Foot Locker Girls Photo Gallery)
The Week That Was
LRC The Week That Was In Running: December 3 - December 9, 2012 This week we tell you why Wilson Kipsang is the best marathoner in the world, show you how Foot Locker CC is still > NXN, tell you how to PR in 13 straight marathons, talk about how some say EPO doesn't help you and give you our opinion on Ryan Hall's new coach. All of that plus talk of Manny Pacquiao and the Tour de France.
2012 Foot Locker Boys Photo Gallery (Updated)
Ryan Hall Talks About Being Coached By Renato Canova
2012 Foot Locker Legends Pre-Race Photo Gallery
Sports That Are For People Who Can't Cut It In Track: 1) Bobsled 2) Triathlon
After Failing To Make 2012 Olympic Sprint Team, Craig Pickering Is Now Focusing On Boblsed Pickering is a European indoor 60 silver medallist, so he's
perfectly suited for the bobsled.
Pickering: Decision Is For The Long Term
Senior Men's European Preview
"Dewey Beats Truman" Providence Beats Oregon
LRC An Examination Of The Timing/Scoring Screw-Ups At The 2012 NCAA
At the NCAA D1 champs, the wrong national champion was official declared. What the heck happened,
could it have been prevented
and what needs to be done in the future? At the D3 champs, scores counting all seven runners were displayed. At the D1 South Regional, a wrong qualifying team was announced as well. Did you know the same timing company was involved in all 3 instances? An email from a coach who saw the chaos unfold first hand in Louisville is what motivated us to look into this:
*LRC An Insider Coach's Account Of The "Colossal" Scoring Screw-Up At The 2012 NCAA Cross-Country Champs
Good Read: RunBlogRun Asks What Lies Ahead For Jordan Hasay? "There is an unspoken uneasiness around the fact that Hasay's phenomenal record as a young high schooler is not being fully replicated at the collegiate level ... Hasay's impressive record while at Oregon is nonetheless viewed by some as falling somewhat short of what might have been expected from an athlete who totally dominated her events as a prep."
Our Weekly Analysis Returns At Last
LRC The 2012 NCAA Cross Country Champs That Were We bring back our weekly recap by looking back two weeks to the 2012 NCAA Cross Country Championships. We start by praising the UConn women, Jordan Hasay, Abbey D'Agostino and ourselves before telling who flopped (Iona/Stanford), comparing Vin Lananna and Martin Smith, and telling you who the favorite is for 2013. Along the way, we crush the dreams of all college runners by telling them they likely won't improve (much) after their sophomore year before ending with talk about unbreakable women's world records.