Alan Webb's & Nick Willis' Comebacks Continue - Notturna Di Milano Meeting *Results *Webb/Willis Race Video
- Nick Willis Runs 3:35.17 To Win As Alan Webb Runs 3:36.21 To Finish 5th! Fans of Alan Webb are starting to get excited as his comeback is officially on, as he ran just .35 slower than he did in 2008 when he flamed out in the Olympic year.
- Want A Rematch? You've Got It!!! Lagat, Manzano, Webb And Willis To Clash On September 26th At Continental Airlines Fifth Avenue Mile In a day and age when people say there aren't any rivalries or races worth watching, this one looks like a real dandy.
- Caster Semenya Runs 1:58.16 - The Fastest Time Of Her Comeback
Sponsored Post - From A Company We've Always Personally Enjoyed
CLIF SHOT® ROKS™: Protein Bites For Recovery We at letsrun.com have always personally loved Clif Bars and the Clif Bar story. It's a company, independent to this day, started by a dude who on a 175-mile bike ride said, "I can make something better" and he did. Clif Bar's CLIF SHOT® line is all about delivery great-tasting, scientifically-backed, all-natural and organic sports nutrition to performance athletes. CLIF SHOT® BLOKS™, CLIF SHOT® Energy Gel and the newest CLIF SHOT ROKS provide athletes with the essential nutrition for their training and racing needs. Read more about this all-natural recovery product and a little more about the incredible Clif Bar Story (the founder started shaking when he was about to sell his company for $120 million and instead kept it private).
News From Kenya & The Commonwealth
- Kenyan Team For World Half Marathon Champs On October 9th Is Named
- Execution Date For 50 Cows That Will Be Slaughtered In Honor Of Rudisha's World Record Set For Sept. 17th
- Kenya Defends Rudisha's Commonwealth Withdrawal
- Commonwealth Games Stadiums Are Built - Dengue Fever Fear Still Alive Officials are telling people that they only have a .0082% chance of getting the disease.
The Week That Was/Truth Stranger Than Fiction
LRC Week In Review Mark Twain once said that truth is stranger than fiction and last week, in terms of Chris Lukezic and Caster Semenya, that certainly proved to be the case. In terms of men's and women's 1,500s, the truth of the world's best two milers getting clobbered at the Continental Cup may seem to be stranger than
fiction but we tell you why in reality, upsets should be expected as they are the name of the game in tactical 1,500s. All of that plus talk of Arthur Lydiard, Peter Snell, Bernard Lagat, Sean Quigley, Justin Gatlin and gene doping.
Usain Bolt's Book Gets Rave Review For Its Marital Advice
ING NYC News
Top Americans Antonio Vega, Tim Nelson, Blake Russell + Canadian Simon Bairu To Take Part In 2010 ING New York City Marathon Nelson is a 27:31 guy (faster than Alan Culpepper's PR) making his debut. American marathoning has come a long way when
get much notice. The women are competing for a $150,000 US only prize pool with no Deena Kastor.
Good Read: Nice Brief Chat With "Little Meb" (Simon Bairu)
- Frenchman Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad Talks About Being 1 Second Away From European Steeplechase Record (8:01.18)
- Mo Farah To Postpone His Ramadan Fast During 2012 Olympics
Not A Surprise
South African Olympic Committee's Report Accuses Athletics President Leonard Chuene Of "Gross Misconduct" In Caster Semenya Affair
*South African Committee Snubs South African Parliament
Labor Day Road Action *Va Beach Recap *New Haven Recap
Sean Quigley And Magdalena Lewy Boulet Win US Titles At Stratton Faxon New Haven 20k Sean Quigley got his first US title and $8,000 in his first race over 15k as he triumphed over Mo Trafeh. Olympian Magdalena Lewy Boulet won the women's title
over unheralded Stephanie Rothstein.
*On The Boards: Deep field at New Haven 20k on Monday. Predictions?
Off The Road: Team USA Men Finish 2nd At World Mountain Running Champs
Off The Beaten Path: Michael Wardian Comes Up 52 Seconds Short Of $15,000 At Kauai Marathon
Previous: Rock 'n' Roll Virginia Beach:
Songoka (KEN) And Ogi (JPN) Win Coolest Rock 'n' Roll Va Beach In History Cool temps in the mid-60s were a gift to runners. 2009 Philly champ and Employee #1 vanquisher John Crews was the top American male in 9th (66:23) as he prepares for Baltimore in October.
More: *Linet Masai Wins Hyde Park 5k In 15:06 With Twell At 15:32, Pavey 15:53
Just [Don't] Do It
USAIN BOLT THREATENS TO PULL A JORDAN AND BECOME PRO SOCCER PLAYER
*Telegraph: Usain Bolt Wants To Play Pro Soccer After 4 More Years Of Running
*Bolt's Book Is Out: Excerpt - Bolt: "If there were medals for partying I'd have won them all."
Another Quality Photo: Arkansas Top 5 Cross Line Hand-In-Hand: One-Page Recap Of Opening Weekend NCAA XC Results USTFCCCA put together this page which allows you to see what Oregon, Stanford, Washington, Arkansas and others were up to in this weekend's opening
glorified practices races.
A Look Back/Forward
- Kipketer Says Rudisha May Be Able To Go Sub-1:40 Rudisha is running the Continental Cup on Sunday.
- David Rudisha The Star Of 2012? The article also talks about James Templeton, Rudisha's agent, discovering Rudisha in 2005.
- Kenyan Editorial: Diamond League Needs Rethinking
- London And Chicago Champ Shobukhova To Face Mikitenko In Chicago To Likely Decide World Marathon Majors Title NY has Geb but Chicago did a great job with its fields on both the men's and women's fields.
- 2:04:48 Man Patrick Makau Headlines 2010 Berlin Marathon
- This Week's Sign Of The Apocalypse Retired American Star Chris Lukezic Is Banned For Refusing To Take A Drug Test On 4/20 For those of you that aren't hip, 4/20 is national Weed Day. *LRC MBoard On The Former Hoya's Ban
- Drug Cheat Justin Gatlin Runs 9.81 - Wait, Make That 10.15 The clock stopped at 9.81 and confused everyone for a brief moment.
- A Comparison Of All Of Gatlin's Runs On His Comeback
- WADA Reports Gene Doping Test May Be In Place For 2012 Games Two groups of scientists have developed separate tests, one of which can detect gene doping as far back as 56 days. Concerns are already high that gene therapy may have crossed over from legitimate medical applications to the world of performance enhancing for sports.
- 6 Indian Athletes, Including 1 Gold Medal Prospect, Banned For Drugs
- Shot Putter Milan Haborak Banned For Life After 2nd Doping Positive Haborak was caught for stanozolol, the same relatively crude steroid Ben Johnson was busted for back in 1988.
- 21-Year-Old British Hurdler Banned
"Niggles" And Successful Year Cause Mo Farah To Pull Out Of Commonwealth Games The concept of getting slaughtered by Kenyans probably didn't help things either.
NCAA XC Is Here
LRC 2010 NCAA Cross-Country Pre-Season Polls: Stanford And Villanova On Top It should be a great year on the XC fields across America, as a lot of teams on both the men's and women's teams think they can contend in Terre Haute. On the men's side, Stanford, Oklahoma State, Oregon and NAU
all have a ton of guys back. Villanova is a stronger #1 on the women's side, but the UW Huskies will want to have something to say about that along with LRC fan #2 Oregon.
*Stanford XC Hoping To Return To Top paloaltoonline.com
*Wisconsin Looking For Its 15th Straight Year In Top 10 At NCAA XCs madison.com
*USTFCCCA Pre-Season Coaches Polls Released Stanford and Villanova #1, as in the LRC polls.
50 Years Ago - The Sport Was Changed Forever - Lydiard's Boys Won Double Gold For Tiny New Zealand
- Peter Snell & Murray Halberg Remember How They Changed The Sport Forever 50 Years Ago Thanks to their hard work and Arthur Lydiard, distance training was changed forever as high mileage came into play.
- Lydiard Had Special Knack For Getting Best Out Of Athletes Not only did he revolutionize training, he also was good psychologically.
- Snell & Halberg Remember 50 Years Later
- Snell Recalls Rome 800 Gold As His Finest Moment *Old School Race Video *Modernized Video
- Mindful Of His Mortality, Snell Stays In Dallas, TX On Historic Day
Gatlin & Drugs
Justin Gatlin: "Guilty or not, I've turned the page." We thought he had a strange answer in this BBC radio interview as well.
Wednesday In Zagreb *Results
Nick Symmonds Wins One, Tyson Gay Crushes Nesta Carter Gay and Carter are the co world-leader in the 100m, but in 2010 Tyson Gay is clearly the world's top sprinter and he showed that by crushing Nesta Carter. Nick
got his first European win of the year and Morgan Uceny went sub-2:00 again but finished 2nd.
*Video Of Tyson Gay's race His last 20m are incredible. Watch at the link to the left or on the right hand side of this page.
16-Year-Old Brit Charlie Grice Tells Us How He Ran 2:21 For 1,000 To Grab World Youth Olympic Bronze He's a talent we are fond of but don't like how he uses the term "my first Olympic experience." The youth Olympics are not the Olympics.
2006 European 10k Champion Jan Fitschen Moving Up To The Marathon Amazingly, the German's PR is just 28:02.55 and yet he's a European champ.
Australian 20-Year Old Phenom Ryan Gregson Pulls Out Of Commonwealth Games With Navicular Stress Fracture He's had a great year but obviously is devastated by the news. We're devastated to hear it's a stress fracture of the navicular as they sometimes never heal without surgery.
Recommended Read Meet Joe & Jim Rosa The twins from New Jersey are two of the best high schoolers in the country. Brad Hudson thinks Joe Rosa's Holmdel course record equates to the 13:30s for 5,000 as a junior in HS.
- Jamaican 400m Man Bobby-Gaye Wilkins Banned For 2 Years For Doping At World Indoors
But the real story that the mainstream press is largely ignoring is that it appears Olympic 100 meter champ Shelly-Ann Fraser is going to get just "minimal punishment" and not a two-year ban .
- Olympic And World 100m Champ Shelly-Ann Fraser Escapes 2-Year Ban For Oxycodone Positive
Looking Ahead To The Fall Marathons
- European Champ And LRC Favorite Viktor Röthlin Added To New York Field
- Former Boston Champ Dire Tune's Comeback To Marathon Will Be In Frankfurt On October 31st She ran six marathons in 2008 and 2009 but none so far this year.
Doug Logan's Fate Still Not Decided
Doug Logan Tells Reuters His Job Security Will Be 'Sole Topic' of This Week's Board Meeting
*King Carl Backs Doug Logan "I love Doug Logan. He's the best thing they ever could've done for the sport. But the reality is, when you have a dysfunctional organization, you can see the difficulty people can have turning it around. If the volunteers would get out of the way, let Doug do his thing, let his vision push forward, it would happen. But we have a dysfunctional organization and it's hard to get anything done." - Carl Lewis. We thought Logan's fate was supposed to be determined by mid-August but the USATF meeting this weekend in Vegas should determine his future.
- Teddy Tamgho To Be Coached By Cuba's Ivan Pedroso
- Preview Of This Weekend's National University Track Championships In Japan Believe it or not, sprinter Shota Iizuka is rightfully the star attraction.
Rudisha With Some Bold Words
- David Rudisha Dismisses Kaki As A Threat: "I feel no threat. There is nobody in the current crop of athletes I have run with who can challenge it."
- Rudisha's Welcome Trumps That Of Kenyan National Soccer Team
- David Rudisha Credits His Mother's Running Genes In Addition To His Dad (His Dad Won An Olympic 4 X 400 Silver)
Female Sprint News
- Olympic And World 100m Champ Shelly-Ann Fraser Escapes 2-Year Ban For Oxycodone Positive The world saw very little of arguably the top 2 female sprinters in the world (Fraser - drug problem) and Veronica Campbell-Brown (top time in 100 and 200 this year but rarely raced this year because of $$$).
- Veronica Campbell Brown Looks Back Briefly At 2010
A Look At Some Foreign Stars
- 2009 World XC Champion Florence Kiplagat's Debut At Half Marathon Is A Good One (67:40) Kiplagat's track season had been going badly (14:52 SB), but she now is the 26th-fastest in history at the half. Three men broke 1 hour.
- David Rudisha To Be Crowned Masai Leader Today link fixed He'll be the first person from his village honored in such a way.
- A Look At Sammy Tangui - David Rudisha's Pacemaker The guy is probably the richest 1:49 guy on the planet.
- Q&A With France's 8:02 Steepler Bouabdellah Tahri
- From Sickly Child To World Silver Medallist In Steeple, It's Been Quite A Ride For Russia's Yuliya Zarudneva
- Justin Gatlin Runs 10.15 And Loses But Beats Dwain Chambers Gatlin has the same time as 2009 US Champ Mike Rodgers. Rodgers however has only broken 10.00 once this year.
- A Look at All of Gatlin's 2010 races Gatlin's race yesterday was the equivalent of 10.14 with no wind or altitude.
From Across The Pond
- Recommended Read: After a quarter of a century, Koch remains untouchable This article from the Independent talks about how all the women's WRs from 100m to 800m were set in the 1980s, including a 47.60 400m and a 1:53.28 800m.
- RR: BBC's Tom Fordyce Gives His 2010 Year End Awards From performer of the year to best young performer to flop of the year, he's got you covered.
- New British Star Dai Greene Only .06 From 18-Year-Old British Record In 400m Hurdles He shocked Bershawn Jackson at the Continental Cup.
Continental Cup Saturday-Sunday *Results *Event-By-Event Reports *Photos *Day 1 Photos
Day2 LRC Distance Recap: Incredible Lagat Wins 5k/3k Double As Rudisha Dominates
Discussion: *Lagat GOLD in 3k
*Who also has never heard of Ecuadoran Bayron Piedra?
*NANCY LANGAT IS A CHEATER
Bernard Lagat, 6 years older than the next-oldest competitor in the field and doubling back after a 51-second closing lap on Saturday, again benefitted from incredibly slow pacing as he doubled his weekly earnings to $60k to highlight day 2 from Croatia. Other big winners included a super-excited Blanka Vlašić and a
bored unchallenged David Rudisha. Big losers included the Americas, who fell in the team standings to Europe and Nancy Langat, who seemed
to attempt a take down of the leader as she fell with 10m to go in the women's 1,500.
More Day 2: *Blanka Vlašić Thrilled With Meet Record Performance In Front Of Family And Hometown Crowd IAAF article
*Lagat, Rudisha And Vlašić Win Big And Team Europe Wins The Team Battle In Croatia IAAF recap
Day 1 Recap Of Continental Cup: Lagat Wins, Kiprop Fizzles Bernard Lagat and Asbel Kiprop both showed us from different extremes why the Continental Cup should be on every athlete's schedule because it gives them an experience they rarely get - championship running without rabbits. Lagat is a master without rabbits and he blasted a 51-second last lap to win the 5,000m title. Kiprop, after leading the first 2 laps, got boxed in with 400m to go and then basically quit the last 200m. He may have the Olympic gold but was only 4th at Worlds (a half-second mistake kills you in a tactical race). American Leo Manzano was boxed in as well, but kept fighting and finished 3rd. In the women's 3k, Meseret Defar blasted a 58.38 final lap for the win and Shannon Rowbury went sub-60 for 3rd. In other action, Jeremy Wariner ran fast again (44.22), Christophe Lemaitre won the 100m and Christian Cantwell the shot with Dwight Phillips in the long jump.
*Brief LRC Recap Of Men's 1,500m: Kiprop Fizzles, Manzano Finishes 3rd
*51-Second Last Lap Brings Lagat $30,000 And Continental 5k Title
*1,500m Event Report
*Brit David Greene Goes Sub-48 To Shock Bershawn Jackson In 400m Hurdles
*Christophe Lemaitre Wins Continental 100m, Mark Lewis Francis 3rd
Nick Willis 1:46.89, Alan Webb 1:48.34, Andrew Ellerton 1:46.77 In Italy The comebacks of the stud milers continue.
IAAF: Day 1 Preview Manzano vs. Kiprop at 1,500 is one of the highlights.
*Nearly $3 Million In Prize Money
*David Oliver Talks On Eve Of Continental Cup
*Preview Of Day 2 For Brits: Dobriskey And Idowu Lead Charge
IAAF Men's Preview Tyson Gay is running, but only in the 4 x 100, giving Christophe Lemaitre a chance in the 100. Wallace Spearmon and Jeremy Wariner are running, as is David Rudisha, Asbel Kiprop, Leo Manzano and Bernard Lagat (3k and 5k).
*Tyson Gay Talks About Running 4 x 100 At Continental Cup IAAF
*Preview Of British Challenge
Women's Preview The top 2 female sprinters, Allyson Felix and Veronica Campbell Brown, basically avoided each other all year and both are skipping the Continental Cup (VCB missed most of all the big meets this year because of $). However, the long distances are stacked with Nancy Langat in the 1,500, Meseret Defar in the 3k, and Tirunesh Dibaba in the 5k.
- New Haven 20k (US 20k Champs) On Monday Brett Gotcher got it rolling here last year. He won in New Haven then ran 2:10:35 in Houston. He's back to defend.
- Brett Gotcher Talks About How Winning New Haven Last Year Changed His Running Career www.nhregister.com
- $15,000 Kauai Marathon Challenge For Sub-2:30 Marathon The winner is guaranteed $2,500 and the $15,000 is split among everyone else who breaks 2:30 (men) or 2:45 (women). If you're running semi-pro and want a good vacation, this seems to be the palce to do it.
- David Rudisha To Skip Commonwealth Games
Jerk Of The Week
Italian Meet Director Blasts Semenya After Her Manager Says Fatigue And Illness Caused Her 2:07 The Italian is our jerk of the week, as he said, "There's no certainty that she did it on purpose. I mean why would she? It hurts both her and the meet. But it's not a good enough explanation for me."
Usain Bolt Tells BBC Radio He Thinks Tyson Gay Hates His Guts The press is making this out to be bigger than it is, as later Bolt says he and Gay are "cool but not the best of friends." Watch/Listen to the highlight of the interview here so you can see Bolt's mannerisms/tone or listen to the whole five-minute podcast here.
Recommended Read Legends Sing Praise Of Roy Griak - Minnesota's XC Coach Of 33 Years This story is full of great anecdotes and is a must-read for any coach in the sport.
Willis 3:35, Webb 3:36
Of Possible Interest On The Boards
- Former Pro Tennis Player Justin Gimelstob Gets $10,000 If He Runs 4:45 Or Better In NYC
- Rojo: So I was crossing the Canadian-US Border Returning To the US........
- Sub 5 minute Mile or Sub 3 hour Marathon. Which is a better achievement?
Congrats To One Of The Good Guys
Pete Julian Named Washington State XC Coach Julian was one of the guys who helped bring the US XC Champs to Boulder.
Glorified Practice Season Underway (More Results Here)
- Washington Men And Women Win Dual Vs. Washington State
- Arkansas Men Sweep Top 10 Places In Dual Meet
- Aussie Marathoner Lee Troop Wins CU Time Trial
- Wisconsin Men Sweep
- Stanford Men And Women Don't Sweep
- Duke Men And Women Sweep Top 5
- Mark Wetmore Speaks After Win
Tyson Gay 9.92 Over Nesta Carter (His Last 20m Is Sick)
Justin Gatlin 10.09 (More Here)
Webb's 3:41 Win In Antwerp (More Here)
US Men's 10-Mile Champs
Fasil Bizuneh Wins US 10-Mile Championships At Crim Congrats to Fasil for persevering and winning his first US crown at age 30.
*Results *Message Board Thread