Final DL Meet Brussels Is Friday *Start Lists/Results
IAAF Preview: Rudisha - Kaki Leads 16 Diamond League Finals Plus Olympic 1,500 champ Asbel Kiprop will be running for the first time since August 1 as he tries to win the Diamond League. Plus a great women's 800 with everything on the line.
Caster Semenya's Return To Big Time May End Up Stealing Show
Rudisha To Focus On Racing Kaki, Not Time
Vivian Cheruiyot Confident In Women's 5k
Allyson Felix Hoping To End Season In Style
Cantwell Gives Himself A 50% Chance To Throw More Than 22 Meters
Brussels Men's Preview: Tyson Gay And Rudisha Vs. Kaki Take Center Stage In Brussels Tyson Gay vs. Nesta Carter in the 100m and Rudisha vs. Kaki at 800, plus a great men's 1,500 with Kiprop and Leo Manzano among others.
*Kaki Vs. Rudisha In Brussels www.standardmedia.co.ke
A Look At Women's Events In Brussels (Caster Semenya's 800m DL Debut) American Alysia Johnson can win the DL title at 800m if somehow she can bounce back from her last race out. She'll have her hands full with Caster Semenya's DL debut.
*Lengthy International Herald Tribune Article On Semenya And Other Athletes' (Lack Of) Acceptance Of Her
*AP Editorial On Semenya: "Saying simply that doctors concluded that she can compete, as the IAAF did, is not enough."
20-Year-Old Trying Out For North Carolina A&T Track Team Drops Dead A tragedy for all involved, including possibly A&T as it looks like lawsuits are in the making as a trainer wasn't present. Can people ever admit tragedies just sometimes occur?
New York Marathon News
- Pregnant With First Child, Deena Kastor Will Miss ING New York City Marathon This Fall
- Half Marathon Stud Mary Keitany Commits To Marathon Debut In New York Plus they got much more. The world champ Abel Kirui is running and barely mentioned. Plus Gebre Gebremariam comes back to the marathon hot on the roads, Peter Kamais, Emmanuel Mutai and Werkdnesh Kidane.
More Track News
- Recommended Read: How Mo Farah Beat Moorcroft's British 5,000m Record BBC The article takes a statistical look at Farah's run. It's hard to believe his run was the FIRST British male track record in over a decade. What has happened to the Brits?
- When Usain Bolt Is In Australia In September, He'll Study Fabrice Lapierre's Long Jump Form For Possibly Taking Up Event After 2012
- Tyson Gay To Run 100m In Zagreb On September 1 Getting a little more cash for his vacation.
Chicago Is Back - Take That, New York!!!!!
Boston And London And Olympic Champs Added To Chicago Field
The race officially announced its field and the addition of Tsegaye Kebede (who we crowned the current top marathoner in the world after his win in London) and Boston champ Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot with the previously-announced Ryan Hall and (unofficially-announced) Olympic champ Sammy Wanjiru make this a race for the ages. For those of you who don't know, that means you have the World Marathon Majors leaders(Kebede and Wanjiru) going head to head for $500,000, have the reigning Boston champ, the reigning London champ as well as and Hall. *Article On Chicago Written By New York Professional Athlete Consultant David Monti
The Week That Was
LRC Week In Review This week we praise a steroid user, rip the NFL, and talk about Wilson Kipketer, David Rudisha, Caster Semenya, Chris Solinsky, Adam Goucher and others. Along the way, we introduce you to a 16-year-old prodigy from Britain and try to cheer up Galen Rupp.
Parkersburg Half Marathon Course Records Broken This used to be the US Half Marathon champs course and is a very difficult half marathon.
*Video Of Parkersburg From Local TV Station
News We Missed: Edna Kiplagat Throws Out First Pitch At Dodgers Game She won the LA Marathon last spring, which we completely ignored since the race does not drug test despite having the resources to do so.
Could XC Running Really Come To The Winter Olympics? espn.com Think of what a legend Paul Tergat would be. One race, one true champion. Anyone remember Alan Culpepper's win in Boulder?
Menjo Does It Again - 3:53 Solo Mile! The LRC cult hero who soloed a 12:55 5k earlier in the week capped the week off in style by soloing a 3:53.62. Adrien Blincoe was second in 3:59.27. *Meet Results Here *LRC MBoard Thread On Menjo's 3:53
World Youths *Results
- Recap Of Final Day Of Youth Olympics IAAF
- Team USA Ends Youth Champs With 8 Medals
- Day 5: Africans Sweep Boys 3,000 As Boys Run Really Fast Over 1k The 1k results were crazy: 2:19 to win, 2:21 to medal for 16-year-olds, including one Brit. In the 3k, a Japanese boy came .02 short of medaling and a Japanese girl got silver. *Japanrunningnews Recap With Video
- Recap Of Day 4 At World Youth Champs
- Kipketer, Fredericks, Coe And Bubka: Youth Olympic Games "A Golden Opportunity"
- Lead Article Front Page Sunday NY Times: A Champion Against Cancer, Now Under Siege (Lance Armstrong) New York Times
- NFL Drug Testing Gets Criticism For Notifying Athletes In Advance Of Tests New York Times
- Some Not Happy Drug Cheat Alene Reta Still Running The Roads
5 Interesting/Recommended Reads
- NY Times Goes To Berlin To Cover Caster Semenya's Return And Finds That Her Competitors Are Irate She's Back We must say that while we feel bad for Semenya, we feel worse for her competitors. *Thread #1 *Thread #2
- Cross-Country Running's Bid For 2018 Winter Games Making Headlines On ESPN
- NY Times: Harold Connolly Was An Unapologetic Fan Of Steroids Connolly was roiding it up in the '50s and '60s and still a fan of steroids when he died. We praise him 100% for his honesty. Connolly: "Pro athletes who can pay for medical guidance should take steroids. They can give fans a better performance, a nice luxury. The argument against it is that they are role models and kids will find the black market."
- Drug Cheat Alan Reta And LetsRun.com's Ripping Of Him Garner Press In California *The MBoard thread they talk about in the article is here.
- Eugene Register Guard's Eulogy To Scott Davis - The Legendary Voice Of The Pre Classic
We're Not Sure Why We Cover Mediocrity *Results
Justin Gatlin Wins Again 10.28 into a 2 m/s wind. It's equal to a 10.15 with no wind. We probably should quit noticing when he runs, as he's an unapologetic cheat. But what do we know? Nike still sponsors him according to this thread.
USATF: Stretching Doesn't Help Reduce Injuries 16% of runners are going to get hurt every 3 months whether they stretch or not. The article does say to do whatever you've been doing. *AP Recap Of Study *LRC MBoard Talk
Blasts From The Past: Irish Junior Record (30:17) At 10k Is 40 Years Old Before you think that is impressive, the US high school record by Rudy Chapa is 34 years old. Oh yeah, his record is 28:32.
Top Women In The News
- Profile Of Surprise Kenyan Champion Nancy Langat The world's best 1,500-meter runner was first seen way back in 1996 and struggled as she was in the wrong event. Now she's basically unbeatable in tactical races.
- Lisa Koll Talks About Decision To Move To Oregon And Sign With Nike She also talks about her recent engagement to Kiel Uhl.
- Running Times Looks At Shalane Flanagan's Move To Schumacher And The Marathon
Sad News - Track And Field Loses Three Heroes
- Olympic Hammer Champ And World Record Holder Harold Connolly Passes Away Good read for those of you wh know very little on this legend. New York Times
- Meb Keflezighi Shares His Memories Of Scott Davis
- Philip Hersh: Track And Field Has Lost 2 Of Its Greats In Harold Connolly And Scott Davis
- Track Announcer And Former Mt. SAC Director Scott Davis Passes Away He announced NCAAs, Pre and the World Juniors champs this year but contacted an infection in Canada and died on Wednesday. *IAAF Eulogy *Message Board Thread On Davis' Passing
- Unsung Hero Of Kenyan Athletics, Joseph Chelimo, Has Passed Away The coach of world/Olympic champions Reuben Kosgei, Richard Limo, Enock Koech, Eliud Kipchoge and Brimin Kipruto was respected by many in Kenya as 2,000 turned out for his funeral.
Alberto Salazar's Group Talks From The Netherlands
- Galen Rupp Talks About His 2010 Season And His Upcoming 3000 Rupp starts things off by giving the details of a recent 1200-800-400 workout and talks about his relationship with Alberto Salazar. He then tells you what he thinks he needs to do to reach the next level and tell you his favorite and least favorite workouts. *LRC MB Talk of Interview
- Interview #2: Alberto Salazar: "Alan Webb will break American records in the 1,500 and the mile." Salazar also says that everyone in his group, including Dathan Ritzenhein and Galen Rupp, know that Alan is most the talented of the bunch. *LRC MB: Salazar Drops the Gauntlet saying Webb WILL break ARs
- Interview #1: Alan Webb Talks Confidently About His Comeback
Mystery Man Silas Kiplagat Unveiled Later On Friday!!!
Let Us Introduce You To True Mile Phenom Silas Kiplagat Check back later in the day to learn about the man who at the age of 20 ran the fastest 1,500 in four years in his first-ever European track race. That's only half the story, as the guy didn't even run in HS and only started running in 2008.
Embarrassment Of The Week
Recommended Read: European Athletics Association Tried To Hide Hind Dehiba's Drug Suspension From Her Profile This is a great article as it points out that Dehiba can run in the Diamond League but Dwain Chambers is banned.
- Tyson Gay: Eyes 4 x 400 For 2012 Games Gay might go down in history himself as the GOAT if he could pull that off, assuming he wins and Bolt doesn't do it as well.
- Audio Interview: Bolt Says He Needs Extra Push To Break WR
- We Hope He Got More Than This: Bolt Got More Than $15 Million For 3 Years The article says Bolt is in the same league as Cristiano Ronaldo. We say he's worth more.
Random US News
- Stat Of The Day
USATF Revenue Down 22.2% In 2009 See page 28 to see the drop of 3.7 million.
- A Brief Chat With Lisa Koll
- 18,000 Show Up In Villeneuve D'Ascq, France To Watch LeMaitre Get Beaten, Teddy Tamhgo And Renaud Lavillenie Impress LeMaitre had not raced since Europeans and it showed.
- Christian Cantwell's 21.91 Highlights Dubnica, Slovakia Meet
- Mustafa Mohamed Wins Steeple, 5k, 10k At Swedish Champs It sounds more impressive than it is.
The Real Story At Shaq Vs. Tyson Gay
The Inside Scoop On Shaq Vs. Tyson Gay (Shaq's Injury And TV Ratings) The ratings are in and Tyson Gay was a huge hit on Shaq Vs., as ratings were up 34% from the week before. More people watched Shaq Vs. than the COMBINED audience of the Prefontaine Meet, Reebok Meet, NCAA meet and any other meet you want to throw in there. Plus, thanks to two people who were at the taping, we reveal that a third race between Shaq and Tyson had to be cancelled because Shaq suffered an injury of sorts in the second race (which you can see if you study the video carefully). Fortunately for Shaq and the Celtics, the injury wasn't serious.
- Excellent Tribute To Scott Davis In Orange Country Register
- LetsRun.com Now In Hebrew Well, it's recommended if you speak Hebrew. We always said we're world famous.
Take That, Nike
Usain Bolt Re-Signs With Puma And Is Reportedly The Highest-Paid Track Athlete In History Bolt is living large as, being injured, he was home in Jamaica on his birthday for the first time in 7 years. *2nd Article From ESPN *Article
In WSJ: "I want to make for Puma like what Michael Jordan made for Nike."
*Bolt Excited To Do Long Jump After Winning 100-200 In 2012 He thinks that he'll be a star at the event. Apparently, he jumped while warming up in Czechoslvakia a few years ago. We'll pay someone $1,000 for that video. Meanwhile, enjoy this video.
*Believe It Or Not: Bolt's Bday Celebration Was Very Low-Key
More Aftermath On Semenya And Rudisha
Recommended Read David Rudisha's Dad Missed His Son's World Record As His TV Wasn't Working Dad was an Olympic silver medalist in the 4 x 400 and is very proud.
*David Rudisha Given Wild Card To Commonwealth Games Apparently the star is going to go to India.
*More Great Diane Cummins Quotes About Semenya "Unfortunately for Caster, she's grown up in an environment that is complicated not just for her but for human science."
- RR: Profile Of Former Wake Forest Star Michael Bingham, Who Is Enjoying Running For Britain Bingham realized his odds in the US were bleak, so he now runs for Britain where he is the European silver medalist.
- Throwers Steal Show In Slovakia As Ryan Gregson Runs 2:17 1,000
- Mustafa Mohamed Pulls Off Steeple, 5k, 10k Triple At Swedish Champs The winning times were just 8:44, 14:28, and 29:58.
Rudisha Dedicates His Victory To His Family And Colm O'Connell; Wilson Kipketer Talks, And Rudisha Will Take On Kaki In Brussels The legendary Kenyan coach Colm O'Connell is Rudisha's coach. Rudisha had left his family to go train with Colm in Iten. If you want to see how beatiful Iten is and why you should never blame training facilities on your lack of
*Billy Konchellah Talks About David Rudisha's World Record Konchellah, the two time 800m world champ, father of Yusuf Kamel (and convicted rapist), is from the same area as Rudisha.
*May 2008 Profile On David Rudisha From Athletics Weekly Rudisha is only 21. Great things were predicted for him 2 years ago.
On The Boards: Bolt vs Rudisha 400m
*Rudisha 800m training
*Rudisha ist der Hammer!
*Caster Semenya Turns Attention To Commonwealth Games
*Caster Semenya's Coach Ignores New Gender Criticism In case you haven't seen video of her race in Berlin, take 2 minutes to watch it. On paper, it looks like a half-second victory but then when you see it, you see her make a mockery of the competition. We're not sure if we've ever seen an 800m like it before. Video on right or here. After the race, some of her competitors spoke on the sensitive subject of gender: "You have to be diplomatic and keep your opinions to yourself but sometimes it is so frustrating." telegraph.co.uk
ISTAF Berlin (The World's Most Popular Track Meet Attendance-Wise) Was Sunday *Results *Photos *Video Of Rudisha's WR
LRC: David Rudisha Does It - 1:41:09!!! Wilson Kipketer's nearly 13-year-old world record is now a thing of the past as David Rudisha more than erased the bad memories he had in Berlin from not making the World Championships final there last year. The race
video is absolutely unreal.
In other action, Caster Semenya's return to Berlin was a pleasant one as she broke 2:00 and won (video on right or here). In the men's 3,000, Bernard Lagat's American record attempt came up short as Tariku Bekele shined again. Lastly, in the 1,500, world leader Silas Kiplagat turned things around and dominated to get his 2nd European victory.
More: Semenya Wins And Her Competitors Aren't Happy About It We certainly see why they think it's unfair. Diane Cummins: "There are guys who can challenge Usain Bolt but nobody can challenge Caster Semenya," she said. "She is four or five seconds better than any of us and that's incredible."
*IAAF Recap Of Meet
*Pacemaker Bekele Runs World-Leading Time In 3,000 We're not convinced he was the rabbit - he may have agreed to help out in the latter stages.
RR Who Is David Rudisha? Read this nice profile from 2008.
*Science Of Sport: 49-Second 1st Lap Is Critical
*Kenya Celebrates Rudisha's WR
*BBC Recap Of WR
On The Boards: *RUDISHA WR 1:41:09
*Tariku 7:28, bernard falls off
*Rudisha ist der Hammer!
*No 3k AR for Lagat
*Can Solinsky be the first non-african under 7:30 @ Rieti?
- 3-On-3 Basketball At 2016 Games? The tournament to pick the USA team would generate millions.
- George Steinbrenner Helped Seilala Sua Make The Olympics
- Craig Virgin Interview He did not have great Olympic success but was a 2 time World XC champ: "It means the same thing now that it meant back then - for two days in my life I was the best in the world at something."
Asafa Powell Calls An End To His Season We were thinking Powell should run Commonwealths so he could win a competition under pressure, but he did win in 2006. Yohan Blake, if he runs, would be stiff competition.
- NY Times: Harold Connolly Was Open About Steroids (The Olympic Champ In 1956 Says He Was Using By 1960)
- Oregon 400m Recruit Michael Berry Tests Positive For Weed