Absolutely Great And Absolutely Atrocious NCAA Track News
Seton Hall Shock: We're Cutting Track Completely 38-year coach John Moon and his team were asked to attend a meeting where they were told Seton Hall would be cutting men's and women's track and field at the end of this season, in order to save money. "The Hall" has been known for excellent 4 x 400m and 4 x 800m teams and Moon has coached 71 All-Americans and 19 Olympians along with helping
coach the US Olympic track team.
*Poignant: Junior Chris Cox Is Big East Athlete Of The Week
NCAA And PAC-10 Make Gutsy Decision And Allow Oregon State Athletes To Compete At League And NCAA Championships! We applaud all involved in this situation for doing the right thing and allowing kids at a school without a program to compete at the big championship meets if they meet the qualifying marks.
*Recommended Read: Oregon State Football Players Ask School If They Can Do Track
A Good Sign: No More American Exceptionalism
USA Will Give Back 2004 Athens Olympics Women's 4 x 400 Medals
USOC CEO Scott Blackmun: "At some point you have to stand up and do the right thing - and [act] in a way you expect other nations to act. We are not going to fight it just for the sake of fighting it. We support doing the right thing."
The US gave back the 2000 Olympic 4 x 4 medals thanks to Marion Jones being busted, and now we'll give back the 2004 medals thanks to Crystal Cox, who didn't run in the final. The IAAF had set up a rule prior to 2004 that said the entire relay team should be banned if one member of the team was found to be cheating.
LRC Stronger 2010 Boston Marathon Fields Finalized We've spent year's ripping the lack of quality in the Boston fields but are actually fairly impressed for 2010. Boston is expecting more sub-2:07 guys than London this year and Meb Keflezighi has only the 17th-best PRof those expected to race.
Recommended Read: Wesley Korir Profile If you are having a bad day at work, read this and realize what life is really about.
World Indoor News
USATF, Are You Reading This?
Charles van Commenee Announces 38-Person British Squad Announced For World Indoors & Refusesd To Give A Goal Medal Count To The Media The idea of shooting for a specific medal count is ridiculous. *van Commenee Impressed By Lots Of New Faces In Endurance Events
Steve Hooker To Lead Australians At World Indoors, European LJ Champ Ksenija Balta Ready To Battle In Doha
Kenya Only Sending 7 To World Indoors Only one woman on the squad. Thankfully, she's quite good - 2009 world 5k champ Vivian Cheruiyot. This article explains why Kenya is only sending 7 and it's because there is only money to pay for 6 to go. Boaz Lalang will pay his own way. Maybe LRC should sponsor a Kenyan?
*Silver Medallists Paul Kipsiele Koech (3,000) And Daniel Kipchirchir Komen (1,500) Are Left Off Team
LetsRun.com's The Week That Was In Running This week, our weekly recap of the last week of the world in running gives out praise to Jeff Demps, Deresse Mekonnen, Will Leer and Japanese coaches as we break down the Kenyan and Ethiopian XC Trials and along the way introduce you to Paul Tanui.
Dreams Do Become Reality
LRC: Riley Masters Interview: 4:06 To 3:59 In One Race
LRC catches up with the Maine sophomore who inspired the running world by going from 4:06 to 3:59 in one race. In sharing the secrets to chopping off 7 seconds from his mile PR in one race, Masters reveals that he had never broken 2:00 flat for 800 until the week before his sub-4 race.
*LRC Week That Was Featuring Riley
We're Thinking Of You
Serena Burla Knee Pain Diagnosed As Malignant Tumor - Let's Give Her Our Support Burla, a mother, recently finished 2nd at the Houston Half Marathon and is one of the top US road runners. She will undergo surgery Friday at Memorial Sloan Kettering Center in New York City.
LRC Boards: Serena Burla support
The World's Best Indoor Meet?
- National Records, World Junior Records And World Leaders Fall In Birmingham Tirunesh Dibaba ran the 2nd-fastest indoor 2-mile of all time as 3 women ran 9:12. Jenny Meadows lowered the GBR 800m record again, and Kalkedar Gezahegn broke a 30-year-old world junior mile record by running 4:24. The most interesting race of LetsRun.com viewers may have been the men's 1,500m, which Deresse Mekonnen won in a fast 3:33.10 (fastest ever in Britain, 3rd-fastest ever) over Bernard Lagat (4th 3:35.49) and Nick Willis (5th 3:35.80 Kiwi record).
LRC: USATF's Decision To Not Offer Altitude Adjustments For Performances At USA Indoors Is Raising Ire In Mid-D And Distance Circles US distance runners are getting screwed by Doug Logan's refusal to take Albuquerque's 5,000-foot altitude into consideration for distance runners in the 2010 Visa Championship Series standings. We talked with Shannon Rowbury's coach John Cook about the USATF decision and got input from other top coaches/agents who also question why the Visa "Series" money goes to the individual who has the single best performance at only one meet.
LetsRun.com Readers Furthering Sports Psychology
UO Grad Student Curtis Suver Uses LetsRun Reader Surveys To Study Team Dynamics Of XC Teams Hundreds of LetsRun.com readers responded to Suver's survey back in August and September of 2009 and helped him complete research that shows a strong correlation in male distance runners between individual performance and connection with their team.
Deena Kastor And Mara Yamauchi To Race At NYC Half Haile G and many top male Americans will run on the men's side. Yamauchi was 2nd in London last year to Irina Mikitenko, while Kastor's last race was a relatively disappointing Chicago Marathon.
Runners Creating Inspiring Races
Recommended Read: Pat Butcher Writes About The Sahara Marathon
This Saturday: War Ravaged Congolese Women To Run A Race Organized By American Woman Avid LetsRun.com reader Michelle Hamilton alerted us from Kenya of this amazing race that will take place in the Congo. According to estimates, more than 5 million have died in wars in the Congo, the most lethal conflict since WWII.
Run For Congo Women Website
USA Indoors Are Coming This Weekend
*After Making World XC Team, Sara Hall Is Ready To Make World Indoor Team
*Preview Of Women's Running Events
*Men: Lagat, Rupp, Solinsky To Battle In 3k, Wheating, Symmonds And KD In 800m These are way better indoor USA championships than you typically see.
1984 Olympic Bronze Medallist Dave Laut Killed By His Wife, Wife Charged With Murder His wife's bail is at $3 million, but she is claiming self defense and years of domestic abuse. This is a tragedy no matter what is determined in court. His wife is also saying she injected him with steroids.
*Message Board Thread
We Wonder If He'll Scream Racism On This One
Former South African Track Boss Leonard Chuene Bought A Mercerdes Benz For 12.8 Cents It may be hard to put this guy behind bars, as earlier computer files were deleted and documents shredded.
We Hope They Start Testing In The NFL ASAP
British Rugby Player Makes History & Becomes First Athlete In The World To Test Positive For HGH Sports Illustrated takes a look at the case.
News From Britain
- Jo Pavey Is On Comeback Trail At Age 36 After Giving Birth For 1st Time & Is Eyeing A Fall Marathon Debut The woman who was 4th in the 10,000 at the 2007 Worlds said the following: "I don't think that 36 is too old to start back, I still feel young." 36 certainly doesn't feel young to the LRC co-founders Wejo and Rojo.
- Double Olympic Champ Expects New British 800m Record Holder Jenny Meadows To Keep On Succeeding
- Holmes Says Meadows Has Much Better Chance To Compete Now That The 800/1,500 Is Being Rid Of Drug Cheats Like Regina Jacobs
*USATF Announces World Championship 24-Hour Run National Team
*USA Olympic Committee Tells IOC We Won't Bid On Olympics Again Until We're Gonna Win The new USOC CEO is asking the IOC president to let him know when the IOC is ready to consider a US summer Olympics bid after New York 2012 and Chicago 2016 were denied after the ridiculously long and expensive bid process.
*Ian Dobson And Wife Julia Lucas Join OTC Elite *Rupp/Lagat Battle At 3k Highlights Men's Running Events At USAs
Latest From Kenya XC
- More On How Kenya's Paul Mutero Was Caught Up In An Age Scandal. He was pressured to do it by officials even though there was little chance he'd get away with it, as he went to HS in Japan.
- Kenyan Junior Caught Lying About Age; 20th-Place Matt Kisorio Replaced From Senior Team To Prevent Discord Matt Kisorio finished 20th and AK originally named him to the team before renegging and going with steeplechaser Richard Mateelong.
Saturday: Kenyan XC Trials: A Star Is Discovered?
- Men: Unheralded 20-Year-Old Paul Tanui Crushes Field Two years ago, Tanui literally did not know how to run in shoes, last year he was 4th at World XCs in the junior race, now he's winning the "toughest XC race on the planet" by 30 seconds. Impressive. It's a strange sight to see him 30 seconds ahead in the video here.
- Women's Pre-Race Favorite Linet Masai Wins By Big Margin
- Boards: Kenyan XC Team Trials: Masai And Tanui Win
Men's 1,500m From Birmingham On Saturday: Lagat vs. Mekonnen vs. Willis (Bigger Video Here)
The Next Kenyan Star?
Top Threads Yesterday On LetsRun
- Question for Malmo regarding "too few tempo runs"
- Your feeling on the economy vs. one year ago
- Eating disorders encouraged?!?
- White Sorority Wins Black Step Show
- Master Relationship Thread - Emergency Broadcast System
- Kornheiser suspended for THIS???
- Serena Burla support thread
- `84 Olympic medalist Dave Laut killed by wife.
- Alan Webb-the Real Story
Help Your Dreams Become Reality: LRC Training Talk - Listen To Our First Episodes