LRC Stronger 2010 Boston Marathon Fields Finalized We've spent year's ripping the lack of quality in the Boston fields but are actually fairly impressed for 2010. Boston is expecting more sub-2:07 guys than London this year and Meb Keflezighi has only the 17th-best PRof those expected to race.
Recommended Read: Wesley Korir Profile If you are having a bad day at work, read this and realize what life is really about.
World Indoor News
USATF, Are You Reading This?
Charles van Commenee Announces 38-Person British Squad Announced For World Indoors & Refusesd To Give A Goal Medal Count To The Media The idea of shooting for a specific medal count is ridiculous. *van Commenee Impressed By Lots Of New Faces In Endurance Events
Steve Hooker To Lead Australians At World Indoors, European LJ Champ Ksenija Balta Ready To Battle In Doha
Kenya Only Sending 7 To World Indoors Only one woman on the squad. Thankfully, she's quite good - 2009 world 5k champ Vivian Cheruiyot. This article explains why Kenya is only sending 7 and it's because there is only money to pay for 6 to go. Boaz Lalang will pay his own way. Maybe LRC should sponsor a Kenyan?
*Silver Medallists Paul Kipsiele Koech (3,000) And Daniel Kipchirchir Komen (1,500) Are Left Off Team
LetsRun.com's The Week That Was In Running This week, our weekly recap of the last week of the world in running gives out praise to Jeff Demps, Deresse Mekonnen, Will Leer and Japanese coaches as we break down the Kenyan and Ethiopian XC Trials and along the way introduce you to Paul Tanui.
Dreams Do Become Reality
LRC: Riley Masters Interview: 4:06 To 3:59 In One Race
LRC catches up with the Maine sophomore who inspired the running world by going from 4:06 to 3:59 in one race. In sharing the secrets to chopping off 7 seconds from his mile PR in one race, Masters reveals that he had never broken 2:00 flat for 800 until the week before his sub-4 race.
*LRC Week That Was Featuring Riley
We're Thinking Of You
Serena Burla Knee Pain Diagnosed As Malignant Tumor - Let's Give Her Our Support Burla, a mother, recently finished 2nd at the Houston Half Marathon and is one of the top US road runners. She will undergo surgery Friday at Memorial Sloan Kettering Center in New York City.
LRC Boards: Serena Burla support
The World's Best Indoor Meet?
- National Records, World Junior Records And World Leaders Fall In Birmingham Tirunesh Dibaba ran the 2nd-fastest indoor 2-mile of all time as 3 women ran 9:12. Jenny Meadows lowered the GBR 800m record again, and Kalkedar Gezahegn broke a 30-year-old world junior mile record by running 4:24. The most interesting race of LetsRun.com viewers may have been the men's 1,500m, which Deresse Mekonnen won in a fast 3:33.10 (fastest ever in Britain, 3rd-fastest ever) over Bernard Lagat (4th 3:35.49) and Nick Willis (5th 3:35.80 Kiwi record).
- More Coverage: Video Of Men's 1,500m - Mekonnen Over Lagat And Willis
- Women's 2-mile: Dibaba, Cheruiyot, Ejigu And Agosto - Great Race!
- Full Birmingham Results
RAK Half Marathon - Great Debut For Abeylegesse
*Boards: Elvan Abeylegesse Sets Course Record, Late-Blooming Geoffrey Mutai Gets Upset Win In RAK Half Marathon
*LRC Photos Of RAK Half
*Race Recap Abeylegesse's win was the fastest-ever half marathon debut (67:07) and a new CR. She was disappointed the pacing wasn't faster, as she felt easy through 15km.
*Results Another DNF for 2009 Boston Marathon champion Deriba Merga as he stepped off the road out of the lead pack with 3km to go. Late entrant Tadese Tola ran under 1 hour but couldn't outkick Kenyan Geoffrey Mutai, who got the biggest win of his career, running equal to the American half marathon record of 59:43.
1984 Olympic Bronze Medallist Dave Laut Killed By His Wife, Wife Charged With Murder His wife's bail is at $3 million, but she is claiming self defense and years of domestic abuse. This is a tragedy no matter what is determined in court. His wife is also saying she injected him with steroids.
*Message Board Thread
We Wonder If He'll Scream Racism On This One
Former South African Track Boss Leonard Chuene Bought A Mercerdes Benz For 12.8 Cents It may be hard to put this guy behind bars, as earlier computer files were deleted and documents shredded.
We Hope They Start Testing In The NFL ASAP
British Rugby Player Makes History & Becomes First Athlete In The World To Test Positive For HGH Sports Illustrated takes a look at the case.
News From Britain
- Jo Pavey Is On Comeback Trail At Age 36 After Giving Birth For 1st Time & Is Eyeing A Fall Marathon Debut The woman who was 4th in the 10,000 at the 2007 Worlds said the following: "I don't think that 36 is too old to start back, I still feel young." 36 certainly doesn't feel young to the LRC co-founders Wejo and Rojo.
- Double Olympic Champ Expects New British 800m Record Holder Jenny Meadows To Keep On Succeeding
- Holmes Says Meadows Has Much Better Chance To Compete Now That The 800/1,500 Is Being Rid Of Drug Cheats Like Regina Jacobs
USA Indoors Are Coming This Weekend
*After Making World XC Team, Sara Hall Is Ready To Make World Indoor Team
*Preview Of Women's Running Events
*Men: Lagat, Rupp, Solinsky To Battle In 3k, Wheating, Symmonds And KD In 800m These are way better indoor USA championships than you typically see.
LRC Will Have More On This Travesty Later In The Week: *Doug Logan Says USATF Will Not Make Altitude Adjustments For USAs, Which Are Being Held At Over 5,000 Feet Of Altitude Distance runners in the hunt for the Visa Championship bonus are officially screwed.
*USATF Announces World Championship 24-Hour Run National Team
*USA Olympic Committee Tells IOC We Won't Bid On Olympics Again Until We're Gonna Win The new USOC CEO is asking the IOC president to let him know when the IOC is ready to consider a US summer Olympics bid after New York 2012 and Chicago 2016 were denied after the ridiculously long and expensive bid process.
*Ian Dobson And Wife Julia Lucas Join OTC Elite *Rupp/Lagat Battle At 3k Highlights Men's Running Events At USAs
Latest From Kenya XC
- More On How Kenya's Paul Mutero Was Caught Up In An Age Scandal. He was pressured to do it by officials even though there was little chance he'd get away with it, as he went to HS in Japan.
- Kenyan Junior Caught Lying About Age; 20th-Place Matt Kisorio Replaced From Senior Team To Prevent Discord Matt Kisorio finished 20th and AK originally named him to the team before renegging and going with steeplechaser Richard Mateelong.
More Sad News
Saturday: Kenyan XC Trials: A Star Is Discovered?
- Men: Unheralded 20-Year-Old Paul Tanui Crushes Field Two years ago, Tanui literally did not know how to run in shoes, last year he was 4th at World XCs in the junior race, now he's winning the "toughest XC race on the planet" by 30 seconds. Impressive. It's a strange sight to see him 30 seconds ahead in the video here.
- Women's Pre-Race Favorite Linet Masai Wins By Big Margin
- Boards: Kenyan XC Team Trials: Masai And Tanui Win
- Top 4 In Saturday's Race Get Auto Tix To Poland, Final 2 Decided On Wild Card Selection
- Results/Video Highlight
Big East And America East - Getting The Jump On The Other Lazy Conferences Having Their Meets Next Weekend
Sheila Reid Triple Leads Villanova Women To Big East Team Nail Biter NCAA XC champions Villanova got the win thanks to Sheila Reid winning the 1,000, mile and helping in the 4 x 800m.
*WVU's Mary Louise Asselin Breaks 16:00 For 5,000 At Big Easts
*Notre Dame Men Win By Big Margin Thanks To Middle Distance Points
Albany Great Danes Sweep Team Titles At America East
*Men's Results *Women's Results Recent sub-4 Erik van Ingen took the mile, while recent sub-4 Riley Masters won the 3,000.
Oregon State Petitioning NCAA To Allow Football Players To Compete At NCAAs If They Qualify There is a chance the Oregon State athletes could make the NCAA standards, as Jordan Bishop almost cleared 7'2.5" last weekend and has the "B" standard. OSU women's Coach Kelly Sullivan says the goal is to at least get to the USA Championships.
*Recommended Read: Oregon State Football Players Ask School If They Can Do Track
Men's 1,500m From Birmingham On Saturday: Lagat vs. Mekonnen vs. Willis (Bigger Video Here)
The Next Kenyan Star?
Top Threads Yesterday On LetsRun
- Question for Malmo regarding "too few tempo runs"
- Your feeling on the economy vs. one year ago
- Eating disorders encouraged?!?
- White Sorrority Wins Black Step Show
- Master Relationship Thread - Emergency Broadcast System
- Kornheiser suspended for THIS???
- Serena Burla support thread
- `84 Olympic medalist Dave Laut killed by wife.
- Alan Webb-the Real Story
Help Your Dreams Become Reality: LRC Training Talk - Listen To Our First Episodes