Tales of the tall
Wilt Chamberlain's track times 4/8/2013 7:32PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Does anyone have a definitive list of Wilt Chamberlain's track (and field) PRs?

Given all the discussion about tall guys and stride length I thought it might be interesting to add Wilt's accomplishments to the mix.

For those who may wonder about some of the reports that I have been able to turn up below, check out the amazing stride length in this photo of Wilt:
http://explorepahistory.com/kora/files/1/2/1-2-1423-25-ExplorePAHistory-a0l1a0-a_349.JPG

Here is most of what I have been able to dig up:

1) The 7'2" goliath ran a sub 11 second 100 yard dash and also threw the shot put 56 feet. Despite competing and excelling in both sprinting and throwing his best events were not surprisingly the jumping events as Chamberlain triple jumped in excess of 50 feet and successfully won the Big 8 Conference high jumping competition three years in a row

source: http://ezinearticles.com/?Wilt-Chamberlain---Track-and-Field-at-the-University-of-Kansas-(KU)-In-Addition-to-Basketball&id=4113288

2) Wilt held the distinction of being the last Big 7 high jump champion in 1957, clearing 6-5 in that competition. He jumped higher (at least 6-6 at the '57 KU Relays, 2nd), but not sure of PR. He also "hop, skipped, and jumped" 45-9 to finish 3rd at KU Relays that year. Would have loved to seen that body triple jumping, wouldn't you? Heard on pretty good authority that he could throw the shot as far in practice (or maybe further) than the low to mid 50 foot throwers at KU (some guys named Al Oerter and Bill Neider), and that he ran 49.0 quarter in baggy sweats (were there any other kind back then?). By any measure, Wilt was one helluvan athlete.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=698

3) "Wilt is not a one-sport man, either. At Overbrook High School in Philly, he high jumped 6 feet, 6 inches, ran the 440 in 49.0 seconds and the 880 in 1:58.3, put the shot 53 feet, 4 inches, broad jumped 22 feet."

Porky
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 4/8/2013 7:37PM - in reply to Tales of the tall Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
His greatest PR is that he bedded 20,000 women.
ryan foreman
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 4/8/2013 8:27PM - in reply to Tales of the tall Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know one of the many legends around Wilt was that he beat Jim Brown in a sprint, barefoot.

I know he came to Eugene to watch track meets after he retired. Very avid T&F fan.
suzy-qq
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 4/8/2013 10:34PM - in reply to ryan foreman Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
In the 70's he had a youth track club called Wilt Wonder Women in San Diego.
Hugh Jindasak
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 4/9/2013 12:40AM - in reply to suzy-qq Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Part of the 20,000 tally.

suzy-qq wrote:

In the 70's he had a youth track club called Wilt Wonder Women in San Diego.
Bad Wigins
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 4/9/2013 2:33AM - in reply to Tales of the tall Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
your source for #1 doesn't exist, and your source for #2 and #3 is a single thread on a message board which provides no source for #2 and a non-existent source for #3.

Most of that information is probably false.

The 20,000 women thing is definitely false. But Wilt probably did have herpes and every strain of warts in existence, the inevitable result of promiscuity.
What a Crock
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 4/9/2013 2:46AM - in reply to Bad Wigins Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Bad Wigins wrote:

The 20,000 women thing is definitely false. But Wilt probably did have herpes and every strain of warts in existence, the inevitable result of promiscuity.

Oh, please set us straight Almighty Wiggins. We, the weak, the sinful, the evil. Please set us on a course of righteouness and we will be forever in your debt.
Wksmwi
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 4/9/2013 6:16AM - in reply to Bad Wigins Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Bad Wigins wrote:

your source for #1 doesn't exist, and your source for #2 and #3 is a single thread on a message board which provides no source for #2 and a non-existent source for #3.

Most of that information is probably false.

If sources are required for something to be true, then the 20,000 number is definitely true.
robert paulson
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 4/9/2013 7:46AM - in reply to Tales of the tall Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Tales of the tall wrote:

For those who may wonder about some of the reports that I have been able to turn up below, check out the amazing stride length in this photo of Wilt:
http://explorepahistory.com/kora/files/1/2/1-2-1423-25-ExplorePAHistory-a0l1a0-a_349.JPG

Looks like an over-striding heel striker.
cccbc
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 4/9/2013 8:13AM - in reply to What a Crock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

What a Crock wrote:

Bad Wigins wrote:

Oh, please set us straight Almighty Wiggins. We, the weak, the sinful, the evil. Please set us on a course of righteouness and we will be forever in your debt.

Wow, what in the world are you talking about? Wigins is correct. Unless you think that someone who slept with 20,000 people is going to be clean
Kiju
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 4/9/2013 8:18AM - in reply to cccbc Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Try reading that again.
Archimedes
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 4/9/2013 10:16AM - in reply to cccbc Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

What a Crock wrote:

cccbc wrote:
Wow, what in the world are you talking about? Wigins is correct. Unless you think that someone who slept with 20,000 people is going to be clean

So you think he doped to have sex with that many women?
cccbc
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 4/9/2013 10:28AM - in reply to Archimedes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Archimedes wrote:

What a Crock wrote:

cccbc wrote:

So you think he doped to have sex with that many women?

Yes. Assuming an hour per woman, that's 2.5 years of sex with no breaks. No way you could keep it up that long without drugs
Bad Wigins
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 4/9/2013 7:57PM - in reply to What a Crock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

What a Crock wrote:

What, you think I'm preaching? I'm talking about STD's you jackass. Biology.

Condoms aren't effective against either herpes or warts, including when they're asymptomatic, one reason 1 in 6 Americans has them, most of whom don't know it.

You roll the dice 20,000 times, you're gonna get snake eyes.
David Bowie
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 4/9/2013 9:00PM - in reply to cccbc Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

cccbc wrote:

Yes. Assuming an hour per woman, that's 2.5 years of sex with no breaks. No way you could keep it up that long without drugs

One hour? What happened to "Wham bam, thank you, ma'm"?
GREGH
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 6/3/2014 8:49PM - in reply to Tales of the tall Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Tales of the tall wrote:

Does anyone have a definitive list of Wilt Chamberlain's track (and field) PRs?

Given all the discussion about tall guys and stride length I thought it might be interesting to add Wilt's accomplishments to the mix.

Here is most of what I have been able to dig up:

1) The 7'2" goliath ran a sub 11 second 100 yard dash and also threw the shot put 56 feet. Despite competing and excelling in both sprinting and throwing his best events were not surprisingly the jumping events as Chamberlain triple jumped in excess of 50 feet and successfully won the Big 8 Conference high jumping competition three years in a row

source: http://ezinearticles.com/?Wilt-Chamberlain---Track-and-Field-at-the-University-of-Kansas-(KU)-In-Addition-to-Basketball&id=4113288

2) Wilt held the distinction of being the last Big 7 high jump champion in 1957, clearing 6-5 in that competition. He jumped higher (at least 6-6 at the '57 KU Relays, 2nd), but not sure of PR. He also "hop, skipped, and jumped" 45-9 to finish 3rd at KU Relays that year. Would have loved to seen that body triple jumping, wouldn't you? Heard on pretty good authority that he could throw the shot as far in practice (or maybe further) than the low to mid 50 foot throwers at KU (some guys named Al Oerter and Bill Neider), and that he ran 49.0 quarter in baggy sweats (were there any other kind back then?). By any measure, Wilt was one helluvan athlete.

3) "Wilt is not a one-sport man, either. At Overbrook High School in Philly, he high jumped 6 feet, 6 inches, ran the 440 in 49.0 seconds and the 880 in 1:58.3, put the shot 53 feet, 4 inches, broad jumped 22 feet."

Justin91
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 6/3/2014 9:28PM - in reply to Tales of the tall Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
And yet, for all that, he was thoroughly owned by Bill Russell
trackcoach
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 6/3/2014 9:30PM - in reply to GREGH Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He was a pretty decent cross country runner as well and was on the team that won the city title his jr year; I don't think he ran cross his senior year.
dkny64
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 6/3/2014 9:46PM - in reply to trackcoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

trackcoach wrote:

He was a pretty decent cross country runner as well and was on the team that won the city title his jr year; I don't think he ran cross his senior year.

I have no reason not to believe this, but was there ANYTHING the man couldn't do? There was some other thread a few years back where his weight lifting exploits were discussed - seems he could bench 500 lbs or some such - there's actual documentation of his high jumping abilities, good reason to believe he could have been a world-class decathlete, now you're saying he was part of a city-championship cross country team... Let me guess, his FIDE rating was "only" 2100 but he beat Bobby Fischer in a blitz match at the Marshall in 1961 and was well known to have offered Tal advice during his match with Botvinnik.

A's N: you're a a Philly guy - anything you can tell us about Wilt's opening repertoire?
brogan1
RE: Wilt Chamberlain's track times 6/3/2014 10:49PM - in reply to dkny64 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

dkny64 wrote:
There was some other thread a few years back where his weight lifting exploits were discussed - seems he could bench 500 lbs or some such

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzIu7o5NH1k

Arnold discussing training with Wilt.