a person
Will the stationary bike help my running? 6/17/2012 11:07PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Does working out on a stationary bike 3 or 4 times a week help with running at all? Or is it just a waste of time/energy? Cuz i'm looking to improve my speed & endurance a lot...

Also, what do you think about treadmills? I know they don't help much with improving your endurance, but what about speed?
a person
RE: Will the stationary bike help my running? 6/17/2012 11:56PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I would like a real answer from someone pls. If i knew the answer i wouldn't have asked the question.
the clarifier
RE: Will the stationary bike help my running? 6/18/2012 12:09AM - in reply to a person Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
[quote]a person wrote:

I would like a real answer from someone pls.

Are you making the assumption that there are real people here?
Weitzleberg
RE: Will the stationary bike help my running? 6/18/2012 2:05AM - in reply to a person Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes. Spinning on a stationary cycle at about 80 rpm. Or my favorite was one hour at a very low level at 120 rpm, good seat a towel and if your in conditioned be prepared to reach 90% of your Target heart rate. Treadmills? I have no experience with them because the stationary cycling and running were great supplements for me. Good luck.
hypo
RE: Will the stationary bike help my running? 6/18/2012 6:29AM - in reply to a person Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

a person wrote:

Does working out on a stationary bike 3 or 4 times a week help with running at all? Or is it just a waste of time/energy? Cuz i'm looking to improve my speed & endurance a lot...

Also, what do you think about treadmills? I know they don't help much with improving your endurance, but what about speed?

You seem confused and ignorant. Biking won't directly help. What you "know" about treadmills not helping with endurance is nonsense. Treadmill running is running. If you run long it helps with endurance.
a person
RE: Will the stationary bike help my running? 6/18/2012 12:18PM - in reply to hypo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I just mean, does the stationary bike help ENOUGH with building up your leg strength that its worth it, or would I be better off spending the time on the bike just running or doing some other kind of cross training? Maybe its just me w/ the treadmills...but when i first started out, I ran a 5K on the treadmill easy, and then 2 days later i went outside on the street & couldn't run 1/4 mile.
Bell Lapper
RE: Will the stationary bike help my running? 6/18/2012 4:57PM - in reply to a person Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
my thoughtz
RE: Will the stationary bike help my running? 6/18/2012 5:02PM - in reply to a person Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

a person wrote:

I just mean, does the stationary bike help ENOUGH with building up your leg strength that its worth it, or would I be better off spending the time on the bike just running or doing some other kind of cross training? Maybe its just me w/ the treadmills...but when i first started out, I ran a 5K on the treadmill easy, and then 2 days later i went outside on the street & couldn't run 1/4 mile.

Running will help you become better at running. But if you're injured, stationary bike (or whatever) will help you maintain your fitness. It's also very useful as a comeback tool in that if you can't handle high volumes of running yet, get on the bike for a workout, then come straight off the bike and do your run. A lot of work cardiovascularly but not as much pounding. So in short, if you want to improve your running, run. If you want to safely come off injury or augment your training, cross training in general has its uses.
Gym Rat
RE: Will the stationary bike help my running? 6/18/2012 5:07PM - in reply to a person Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I do 3-4 hours a week on the bike/elliptical/rowing machine. It definitely helps with overall fitness. I ran 15:50 5k with 15 miles per week + cross training.

But if I didn't have a load of injuries I'd rather spend that time running.
Feeling You
RE: Will the stationary bike help my running? 6/18/2012 8:41PM - in reply to a person Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Article on the topic.

http://runningtimes.com/Print.aspx?articleID=4187

I think it works for some but not for everyone will benefit at equally.
Weitzleberg
RE: Will the stationary bike help my running? 6/18/2012 9:08PM - in reply to a person Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That's it. I'm not answering anymore of these type of questions. You need to get yourself some Pounds Cream sit in front of the television set spread the cream all over your cellulited thighs and pray the stretch marks go away.