Last Hot NCAA Action B4 Conference *2013 Husky Classic Is Fri./Sat. - Schedule/Results/Free Live Stream Info *All NCAA Results
2013 Husky Classic Is Friday/Saturday The stacked men's mile is Saturday at 6:35 pm ET.
Arkansas: NCAA XC Champ Kennedy Kithuka Runs 13:26 And Wins By 1 Minute +
UW: Jordan Hasay Destroys Field And Wins By 6+ Seconds In 15:46
Arkansas: Patrick Rono (1:47.66) Spanks Elijah Greer (1:48.42)
UW: Kevin Williams' 13:38 Wins Men's 5k As 22 Guys Break 14:00
Arkansas: Cross, Rono Win Titles On Day One Of Tyson Invite
2013 UK Champs/European Trials Are Saturday/Sunday *Free Live Stream (Starts 9:10am ET Sat. And 9:00 On Sunday)
- 8 Lane's Preview Of Men's Events At UK Indoor European Trials
- Athletics Weekly: Five To Follow At The UK Indoor Championships
- Interesting Read 800 Runner Celia Taylor Likely To Retire As A "Failed" Runner After European Trials If She Doesn't Break 2:00 The 36-year-old is unlikely to do it as her PR is 2:01 but has written a provocative piece on life as a pro runner.
- 17-Year-Old Sean Malloy (1:48.24 PR) Will Race In European Trials For 1st Time
- Christine Ohuruogu Is Running 60m And 200m And Says She'll Go Out Hard In 400 This Year
- Holly Bleasdale Credits Dan Pfaff With Improvement Ahead Of European Trials And UK Championships
- Sprinter Dwain Chambers Will Miss Saturday's European Indoor Trials In Sheffield With A Back Injury
- LJer Shara Proctor Glad To Have Followed Reider From Florida To GB
- British Athletics Will Be Streamed Live And For Free For 1st Time (Starts 9:10am ET Sat. And 9:00 On Sunday)
More News From The UK:
- Emily Wicks Has Recovered From Mid-Race Collapsed Lung And Is Hoping To Run Sub-2:40 In London
- We Guess Nick Symmonds Won't Be Running Any Road Races Anytime Soon Ian Stewart Quickly Gets A New Job - Recruited By Great Run Organizers
Other Weekend Action
- Preview Of Sunday's Flanders Indoor Both Borlée twins will compete with Jonathan facing Olympic silver medallist Luguelin Santos. *Watch It For $20 On Flotrack
- Collis Birmingham And Alistair Cragg Facing Ttop Japanese XC Runners On Sunday
- North Rift Provincial Cross-Country Championships Are Saturday
- A Preview Of 5 Races In Japan This Weekend, Including 1st Of 2 World XC Qualifiers
- Ireland's John Travers' 3:42 Will Count As A European Qualifier Even Though It Came At A Low-Key Mid-Week Meet
- Mutaz Essa Barshim (2.36m) Defeats Aleksey Dmitrik (2.32m) In Slovakia
- Bolshova Scores 4852 To Win Russian Indoor Pentathlon Title
Distance News *2013 Husky Classic Is Fri./Sat. - Schedule/Results/Live Stream Info *All NCAA Results
- Oregon Track & Field Rundown: Jerry Schumacher Dishes On Chris Derrick, Matt Tegenkamp And Alan Webb
- Toni Reavis Tells You All About Patrick Makau's Half Marathon Run In Hawaii
Next WeekendMarch 10 "He likes his test race more as a mental break from his 'sleep-run-eat-sleep' that is his complete daily routine in the months before a marathon."
- BU's Valentine Invitational Cancelled Due To Impending Weather *MB: Discussion
- Irish Jr. 800 Record Holder Siofra Cleirigh Buttner Wins 2013 AVIVA Leinster Schools Cross-Country Championships Two weeks ago she ran 2:05 indoors. We imagine NCAA schools would love to have her.
*Sean Tobin Earns Easy Victory At The Aviva/Munster Schools Cross-Country In Waterford
- Celebrity Runners Jimmie Johnson, Michael Waltrip, Kasey Kahne And Aric Almirola (NASCAR Drivers) To Run Daytona Beach Half Marathon
- Collis Birmingham's 60:56 May Be New Aussie NR But Two Australians Have Run Faster
- Australians Dominate 2013 Empire State Building Run-Up *Video Of 2013 Empire State Building Run-Up
Doping News From Australia
- Peptides - Drugs That Increase The Amount Of HGH In The Body - Are Up By 255% In Australia As Only Two Labs In The World Can Test For Them
- Entire Teams In Australia AFL And NRL Doped
A Lot Of Interesting US News
- Gread Interview: Extensive Gary Cohen Interview With Adam Goucher Where He Looks Back At His Entire Career, High School, College, Pro "I look back at my career, look in the mirror and look myself in the eye and know that I did give it my all and did everything I could to be the best I could be physically. I couldn't have tried any harder."
- OTC Elite's Julia Lucas And Russell Brown Speak At "TrackTown Tuesday" Gathering In Eugene Brown is over his Achilles injury which killed his chances at the OT, but will skip indoors to train for outdoors.
*Register-Guard Article Talking about the OT, Lucas said, "Those last few footsteps, my foot was third, but my torso was fourth, and I was left at home. It's been a process, with depression and cookie dough in bed," Lucas said. "But I'm back to where I'm training hard. I look forward to the next four years. Now I fully expect to be an Olympian."
- Crazy Or Genius? Alberto Salazar Has Mary Cain Running With A Shoulder Harness Used By Equestrian Riders To Pull Their Shoulders Back & Improve Form He still thinks she can improve her form a lot more.
- Interesting Read: Delilah DiCrescenzo Writes About How The Hit Plain White T's Song, "Hey There Delilah" Changed Her Life DiCrescenzo: "When my dad heard the lyrics 'Oh what you do to me,' he said, 'Delilah, exactly what did you to do this guy?'"
- Galen Rupp Talks About His Relationship With Mo Farah And Says He's Impressed With How Mo's Willing To Sacrifice Himself For Others "There were times in training when he was still getting over the jet lag and wasn't feeling great and he was still adamant about leading his share of the reps and doing what he could to help out myself and the other guys."
- Jordan Hasay's Advice To Mary Cain: "Go To College" *MB: Mary Cain and college?
- Who Says NASCAR Drivers Aren't Athletes: Several Drivers Running The Daytona Beach Half Marathon The Week Before The Daytona 500
- In Wake Of Head Coach's Resignation, Toledo University All-American Emma Kertesz Forgoes Her Final Season Of Eligibility To Go Pro With Hansons-Brooks
- Chris Derrick USATF Athlete Of The Week For US XC Win; Says He's Planning On Going To Poland
- MileSplit: Class Of 2013 National Signing Day
Daring To Ask The PED Question
A Must Read: Daring To Ask The PED Question: "If everyone is secretly suspicious of so many athletic achievements, why aren't we talking about it?" In our last Week That Was, we said, "There are two types of runners - those that either 'get' letsrun.com or don't." Well, sports writer Bill Simmons might not be talking about running, but he definitely "gets" LRC as he explains why questioning today's professional athletic performances in is not only okay, but has become part of sports. As he says, "There is no such thing as 'the benefit of the doubt' anymore. Not in sports. Too many people took advantage. All the benefits are gone." It is for this reason that we allow threads like this one to exist: MB: Solomon suddenly world class and Rupp soloing 3.50 indoor miles - Come on Letsun, ask the questions!
Random US News
- At 30 Years Old, Tyson Gay Wants PRs In The 100,200, & 400 In 2013 Gay is the only athlete in history with a sub-10 100m, sub-20 200m, and sub-45 400m to his name (PRs: 9.69, 19.58, 44.89).
- Galen Rupp Says He Wish He Had Started His Kick Earlier In The Olympic 10,000, But Still Doesn't Know If He Would Have Caught Mo Farah
- Video Interview With Donn Cabral On His New Life As A Pro He's a Nike athlete living in the Northwest, but not in Oregon. He's training in Bellingham, WA under Peter Oviatt.
- Slide Show: Allyson Felix Gets Makover To Look Like Beyoncé
- Cities Starting To Limit Local Road Races As The Numbers Have Increased To A Point It's Hard For Drivers To Get Around On Weekend Mornings
- Updated D1 National Rankings Have Kansas Women And Arkansas Men On Top
- AK Vice President Jack Tuwei Wants Drug Testing At All Kenyan Races And Was Surprised That Last Weekend's Nike Discovery Kenya Half Didn't Conduct It
- Former 400H Olympic Champ Melanie Walker Contemplating A Switch To The 100H For 2013
- Lornah Kiplagat Becomes A Newspaper Columnist For New Kenyan Paper That Just Covers Sports The paper is called "Sporton."
- SA's Former Heptathlon/LJ World Champ Eunice Barber Announced She Will Try To Make A Comeback At 38 Years Old She will compete on Thursday in what will be her first competition since 2010.
Doping And Crime
- Olympic Bottle Thrower Given Eight-Week Community Order And Fined $2,360 He escapes jail time because he suffers from bipolar disorder and was having a "manic episode." However, he did lose his job because of the bad publicity.
- Good News (For Those Who Aren't Doping): New EPO Test Could Help Stamp Out Microdosing
- Dutch Olympic Sprinter Brian Mariano Caught With Cocaine, Gets 6 Months In Prison
- Rumors Say That Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association Is Leaving Its Long-Time Partnership With PUMA Although the head of PUMA is saying they have a contract that goes through Rio 2016.
- Turkey Building Largest Airport In The World, Which Will Be Ready For Istanbul 2020 Should They Win The Bid
- Japanese Hakone Ekiden Star Ryuji Kashiwabara Headlines Field For Feb. 17th Ome 30k Road Race
- 32-Year-Old Japan Marathoner Tomoyuki Sato (2:09:43 PR) Says He's Giving It One More Year Before He Retires And Wants To "Leave On A Good Note"
2013 USA XC *USA XC Results/Splits *MB: Official 2013 USA XC Thread *LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Chris Derrick!?! - National Champion! link fixed The wait is over. Arguably the greatest American collegiate distance runner not to win an NCAA title, Derrick pulled away from Dathan Ritzenhein and Matt Tegenkamp to win his first national title in his first race as a sponsored pro. It was a good day for Jerry Schumacher's crew as they had 3 of the top 4 in the men's race plus Shalane Flanagan winning the women's.
LRC Shalane Flanagan Wins 2013 Women's US Cross-Country Championships Flanagan was the class of the field (World XC bronze in 2011), but Olympian Kim Conley put up a brave fight. Afterwards, Flanagan said she will not run World XC as she prepares for the Boston marathon.
Jr. Races: *LRC 2013 Jr. Girls Results - William & Mary's Emily Stites Dominates
*LRC 2013 Jr. Boys Results - Ok. State's Craig Nowak Wins
*USATF Athlete Quotes
Great Sunday Action In Japan
A Great Read Kawauchi PRs! On 6th Surge, Yuki Kawauchi (2:08:15) Gets The Best Of Olympic 6th Placer Kentaro Nakamoto (2:08:35) After Truly Epic Battle As Both PR Brett Larner's description of this race is fantastic. "It was as if Americans Meb Keflezighi and Dathan Ritzenhein lined up to go head-to-head at Grandma's Marathon" and truly delivered a mano vs. mano fight where both PRed. LRC note: We'd say it's more like Ritz vs. Hall battling, but it was epic. *MB: Discuss *IAAF Recap
*Extremely Deep Results 41st place was 1:03:30.
- Marugame Half Marathon: After Great Battle With Olympic Marathon Champ Tiki Gelana, Kim Smith Beaten At End Gelana went out all alone (15:52) but by 15km Smith had reeled her in and taken the lead before settling for 2nd (69:00 vs. 68:53).
*Men: Collis Birmingham Australian National Record (60:56) - Abel Kirui (62:04), Alistair Cragg (63:14) *IAAF Recap *Full Results
*Tiki Gelana Becomes First Ethiopian Woman To Win The AIMS World Athlete Of The Year Award
Armory Collegiate Invy Was Friday/Saturday *All College Meet Results In US
- LRC Robby Andrews Just Misses American Indoor 1,000 Mark A week after a disastrous 4:11 mile, Andrews just misses David Krummenacker's 2:17.86 record.
- Results: *Men College *Women College *HS/Open
- Ajee Wilson Runs 2:05.54 To Win Open 800 At The Armory
- Oregon Men's DMR Recovers From Fall To Get 2nd To Stanford At Armory Collegiate Meet Stanford won in 9:34.20 with OU 9:35.06 and Arkansas was third at 9:35.50.
- LSU Women Win Armory Collegiate Team Title LSU men were runner-up to Texas A&M.
- Other NCAA: Hilton Garden Invitational: 3 Go Sub-4 As Cory Leslie Wins In 3:57.81 Over Pete van der Westhuizen And Matthew Elliott
- Notre Dame Meyo Invitational Results: Geena Gall Wins 800 In 2:03.33 Miss. State's Brandon McBride won the men's 800 in 1:47.74.
- Diego Estrada Wins NAU Mountain T's Invitational Mile In 4:12.58 (4:03 With Altitude Conversion)
- Nebraska Husker Invitational Results
- Penn State Sykes & Sabock Challenge Results
- Other HS: MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage
US Pros In The News
- Luke Puskedra Joins Alberto Salazar And The Nike Oregon Project
- Worth A Read: Very Interesting Q&A With Matt Scherer, Who Gives Some Great Insight Into The Life/Training Of A Professional Rabbit Asked if he ever thinks about finishing the races he paces he said, "My job is to eliminate as many variables as I can for the other athletes ... If they all have to wonder whether or not I was going to step off the track or not, I don't think I'd get many more jobs."
- Recommended Read: Toni Reavis Talks To Alberto Salazar About Galen Rupp's Training/Future A lot of good quotes from Salazar and Rupp, including - Salazar: "2008 was the last time Galen was injured. He strained a groin after doing a tempo run on grass. That was the last time in four years when he missed any training. In that time he hasn't missed five days of training or some alternative like the Alter G or treadmill work. Uninterrupted training is huge!"
- USATF Profile On Ajee Wilson, Who Says, "I definitely think of myself as a senior athlete because those are the people that I'm racing." She talks about making the decision to go pro and how at first she was unsure of herself, but now she knows it was the right choice.
- 5 Questions With Jackie Areson Talking about not making the 5,000 final at the Olympic Trials: "That was a huge blow. It was probably the worst day of my life ..."
- Spikes-Mag Q&A With Morgan Uceny From The UK If she could pick another even it would be LJ as she jumped in high school, and still has the school record [about 17 ft. 1 in. / 5.21m].
Random International Stuff
- Kenyan Government To Train More Anti-Doping Experts First thing they should teach them is to not give the athletes a few weeks heads up when they're coming to test.
- Former Irish Olympic Marathoner Dick Hooper And Others Hits Out At Athletics Ireland For Setting New Even Tougher Marathon Standards For World Champs The IAAF has set a flat 2:17 standard, but AAI have made that the "B" standard and set 2:13 as the "A." One athlete criticized it saying, "Considering only one Irishman (Mark Carroll) has broken 2:13 in the last 20 years I don't understand it. Athletics Ireland has got to be realistic."
- In Wake Of Charity Runner's Death, Anti-Doping Experts Warn That Dangerous Steroids/Stimulants Are Finding Their Way Into Everyday "Sports Supplements"
- For UK Visitors: AW Giving Away 5 Pairs Of Tickets To Next Weekend's British Indoor Champs
- International Marketing Group Chime Communications Completes Multi-Million Pound Acquisition Of Seb Coe's Management Consultancy Firm
Other US News
- Alberto Salazar Says Galen Rupp Is Still Hungry And Isn't Satisfied Yet "Galen always has been disciplined, but right now he is leading a very Spartan life. Well, he's living in a nice house. But all he does is run, rest and spend time with his wife. He's either training or recovering 24 hours a day."
- RR: It Was 50 Years Ago This Sunday That Bill Bowerman Started The American Jogging Craze, Which He Brought Back From NZ UI runner Dyrol Burleson: "It was kind of fascinating. Until that day you didn't see a bunch of older people - housewives, professors - jogging around a track. Suddenly, things changed."
- Article On Bobsled Career Of Lolo Jones, Comparing Her To NFL Player Turned Bobsledder Herschel Walker
- RunBlogRun Q&A With USATF CEO Max Siegel Siegel: "We are now pushing on the partnership and marketing sides of our business, on everything from sponsorship to membership, and have some exciting announcements coming in the next few months."
- Interview With US's Carlin Isles, The Fastest Rugby Player In The World He has a 100m PR of 10.13.
- Alysia Montaño Joins The ElliptiGO Project
Kenyan News: Doping And Vivian Cheruiyot Sitting Out World XC
- Unnamed Kenyan Marathoner From October's Standard Chartered Nairobi International Marathon Last October Failed Drug Test AK won’t reveal the name for "legal reasons."
- 32 Kenyans Receive Out-Of-Competition Blood Tests In Kenya However, the tests are still not like the real out of competition tests other nations face as they were given advanced notice and told where and when to show up. AK head Isaiah Kiplagat even said, "There was no impromptu testing. All the 32 athletes had been notified ..."
*David Rudisha And Vivian Cheruiyot Among 32 Tested
- Defending Champion Vivian Cheruiyot Won't Defend Her World XC Champs Title In Poland Her coach says she wants to focus on Worlds. He also said that after this year she'll move up to the half marathon.
Other Drug Related News
- For Those Who Think PED Use Should Be Legal: Off-The-Counter Energy Stimulant Linked To Death Of London Marathon Charity Runner Who Died Of A Heart Attack She unknowingly used a DMAA-containing stimulant (Jack3d), which was legal at the time but has since been banned.
- Colombian 400 Runner Diego Palomeque Gets 2-Year Ban For Positive Test During London Olympics
Saturday's US Action *Full BU Results
LRC Galen Rupp Runs 3:50.92 Mile To Become Fifth-Fastest Indoor
Miler Who said Galen Rupp has no speed? The endurance king has become the speed king the last two years and Rupp showed it on Saturday by running 3:50.92 in Boston to become the 2nd-fastest American indoor miler ever behind Bernard Lagat. *Videos
On The Boards: *Rupp runs 3:50!!
*any updates on the BU elite mile?
*Rupp is the 5th fastest indoor miler in history
updated Mary Cain Smashes High School Mile Record By Running 4:32.78 Cain breaking the record may have been expected considering she ran 4:11 last year outdoors for 1,500 (roughly 4:31 for a mile), but Debbie Heald's old record (4:38.5) was the longest record on the books for high school women (from 1971) and Cain absolutely crushed it - and we use that term knowing it is way over-used in track but well-deserved here. In the men's mile, Robby Andrews faded to 4:11.
*What's Better Than Having An Olympian For A Coach? Having Two: With Salazar Living On The Other Side Of The Country, NZ 2004 Olympian John Henwood Has Been Administering Her Workouts In NY
*Video Interview With Mary Cain
OTB: Mary Cain 4:32.78
*Other HS: MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage: Edward Cheserek Wins NB Invite Mile In 4:10.92
*Q&A With Edward Cheserek Asking A Lot About His Move To The US From Kenya
*Sarah Baxter Named Gatorade Runner Of The Year For XC, Presented To Her By Allyson Felix
Oregonian's Ken Goe Against High Price Pay-Per-View Track Broadcasts
London Does It Again
LRC 2013 Virgin London Marathon Field Released - Is This The Greatest Men's Marathon Field In History? All we can say is - Wow! The course record holders of all
majors, the Olympic
champ, the WR holder - you name it, they got it. And one the women's side? How about the debut of Tirunesh Dibaba plus 4 of the 5 non-pregnant sub-2:20 runners from last year? So sick.
*Reuters: Dibaba To Race In London Marathon *Discuss
LRC Mary Keitany Is Pregnant With Second Child, Will Miss 2013 London Marathon And Season
Oregon Indoor Mile Record Holder Mac Fleet Is Pumped To Be back On Track After 2 Years Of Injuries Things were so bad last year, he started drinking heavily and tried to tear his plantar on purpose.
Rest In Peace Will Steele - aka "The Cancer Guy"
LRC Celebrating The Life Of "The Cancer Guy" Will Steele Will Steele was running 18 minute miles last year. And never has there been a more inspirational runner on LetsRun.com. We pay our respects to this great man who contributed so much to the LetsRun.com community and lost his battle with cancer one month ago on Christmas eve.
Want To Watch A Live Stream Of The New Balance Games Or The Armory Collegiate Invitational? It Will Cost You $20 And just think many of you complained that the entire Diamond League Series on UniversalSports.com was too much at $25 with individual meets just $1.99. In our book this doesn't seem to be about track fans, but about getting parents to pay.
Dying Too Young
LRC 4-Time World Marathon Majors Runner-Up Abderrahim Goumri Has Died At Age 36 The former MAR national record holder at 2:05:30, who once ran 12:50 for 5k and was twice
the runner-up in New York, has been killed in a car accident. Goumri was busted for drugs due to the biological passport last summer.
Former 10k World Record Holder Samson Kimobwa, Who Ran 27:30.47 On June 30, 1977 In Helsinki, Has Died Suddenly At Age 58 Interesting fact - he coached Boaz Cheboiywo in Kenya and went to Washington State. *Wikipedia Page
*IAAF Tribute To Samson Kimobwa And Abderahim Goumri
Houston Marathon/Half Was Sunday
LRC Ethiopians Feyisa Lilesa And Mamitu Daska Win 2013 Aramco Houston Half Marathon The performance of the day belonged to Daska, who was dominant on US soil just as she was in all of 2012. Shadrack Biwott (62:23) and Lisa Uhl (73:28) were the top Americans as Luke Puskedra and Aaron
Braun also broke 63.
LRC Bazuk Worku (2:10:17) And Merima Mohammed (2:23:27) Win 2013 Chevron Houston Marathon Titles The former WJr. record holder picked up marathon win #1 as Andrew Carlson (2:17:16) and Tera Moody (2:39:10) took top American honors.
RRW: Ethiopians Sweep Titles At Cold, Wet 2013 Chevron Houston Marathon & Aramco Half Marathon Includes quotes from Biwott, Carlson, Uhl.
The Smoking Gun.com: Suzy Favor Hamilton Has Been Working As $600/Hour Escort For Last Year SFH, the 3-time Olympian, has
been one of the hottest commodities in the escort business over the last year as she jumped up to a #3 ranking and got rave reviews for her runner's body and for providing
the "full GFE (girlfriend experience)." One client raved, "I would do anything to protect her. ... She is worth every penny. I will go bankrupt before I stop seeing her. I hope no one else goes to see her, because I want her all to myself. ... I never thought I would find anyone in this hobby like her."
*Definitely Not Politcally Correct: Chicago Sun-Times Columnist: SFH isn't alone - lots of female distance runners are total nut jobs SFH had "a glint of ferocity in her eyes, of suppressed danger. I saw the look in many of the Wisconsin middle-distance and long-distance female runners. In my book, I made special note of them, of their lapses into near insanity, of their successes and crashes and eating disorders and dependence on their controlling German head coach, Peter Tegen."
*Suzy Favor Hamilton Issues A Statement
*MB: Suzy Favor-Hamilton: Vegas Escort
Recommended Read: Former Teen Sensation Caitlin Chock Writes About What It Was Like To Train Under Alberto Salazar The first US HSer to break 16 loved it even though she pretty much bombed performance-wise.
2013 PSD Bank Meeting In Germany *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results
MB: Ayanleh Souleiman Easily Wins 1,500 (3:36.13) And Says He Wants World Record In 1,000 In His Next Race Ayanleh Souleiman ran 3:30 last year at age 19 and is the training partner of Taoufik Makhloufi. Might 2013 belong to Souleiman?
*IAAF Recap: Caleb Ndiku Wins 3,000 (7:38) As Mekhissi Is 3rd (7:43) And Kevin Craddock Runs 7.50 World Leader In 60H Adam Kszczot won the 800 as bronze medallist Tim Kitum was way back.
*Lerone Clarke Runs 6.52
Big Doping News
- 5-Time LJ Silver Medallist Tatyana Kotova Busted For Doping From Re-Test From 2005
- Australian Olympic Association To Change Its By-Laws And Require A Mandatory Anti-Doping Pledge Which If Violated Could Lead To 5 Years In Jail
- WADA Has Reinstated The Anti-Doping Accreditation Of The Laboratory In Madrid, Spain
- SCA Promotions Sues Lance For $12 Million