The Week That Was
In breaking down the greatest distance race on the planet for you, we try to put the US women's bronze medal in perspective, we wonder if we have another Asbel Kiprop in the making and we scour the results for the first non-African-born finisher. Along the way, we remember the last US men's team to medal at World XC and then we move on to talk about Lisa Koll's amazing run and then talk about Usain Bolt's future rival at 400 meters.
LRC How Non-African-Born Athletes Fared At 2010 World XC Some prompting from track writer Alfonz Juck prompted us to look back at World XC results. Only 2 non-African-born men finished in the top 30 in the men's junior and senior races in Bygdoszcz. The fastest-ever American 5k/10ker, Shalane Flanagan, finished 12th in the women's senior race but was still 54 seconds from a medal.
World XC - Kenyan Men Basking In Hero Status
Paul Tergat And John Ngugi Express Joy Over Kenya Finally Winning Senior Men's Title Tergat was awarded an honorary Doctorate in South Africa over the weekend.
Kenyan Coaches Credit Tactical Changes And Excellent Preparations For Medal Sweep Of course it's all the coaching from Athletics Kenya in the 3 weeks before the meet.
African and American Women - Ho Hum?
Dibaba Returns To Worlds Healthy Though She Doesn't Medal Tirunesh Dibaba, who is married to Mr. Silver Sileshi Sihine, has been sidelined by injury.
OK Fans, So World Cross Isn't Our Thing - At Least We Have The 4 x 4
19-Year-Old MSU Freshman Tavaris Tate Runs 44.86 To Open Outdoor Season Miss. St. doesn't have indoor track, so Tavaris Tate, a true freshman, qualified for the US Worlds team and won a 4 x 4 relay gold medal in the 4th-fastest time in history a couple of weeks ago.
*Interview With Tavaris Tate After His World Indoor Team Experience With Tate and U. Georgia stud Torrin Lawrence, the US shouldn't lose a 4 x 4 for the next 10 years.
*Profile On Tate After Running Shocking Leg Of USA 4 x 4 Qualifying Team
Men's Senior Race - A Hero Made In Poland As Kenya's Wait Is Over *Team *Individual *Photos
Ebuya! Kenyans Complete Perfect Day!
All 8 gold medals are going home to Nairobi as new national hero Joseph Ebuya put the exclamation point on a day of total domination for team Kenya by winning their first senior men's individual title in over a decade.
*Team Results Kenya 1, Eritrea 2, Ethiopia 3, Morocco 4, Uganda, Spain, Tanzania, Bahrain, USA 9th.
*Canada's Simon Bairu 13th Individual Top American Patrick Smyth is 36th.
3 Articles On Inspiring Figure Joseph Ebuya
*The Story Of Joseph Ebuya Ebuya, managed by Usain Bolt's manager Ricky Simms, ran 13:03 in his 2nd 5k race. He made headlines by defeating Kenenisa Bekele earlier this year in cross-country.
*Ebuya And Sister Alice Aprot Train Together On National Team Ebuya's sister Alice Aprot was 9th (the 6th Kenyan) in the women's junior race today.
*How Ebuya Ran Away From Cattle Rustlers To Running Glory Aprot and Ebuya hail from Turkana, a region not known to produce top runners.
Men's Junior XC Race *Team *Individual *Photos
Another Kenyan Sweep! 10 points for Caleb Mwangangi Ndiku and Kenyans.
*Top American Trevor Dunbar In 29th
*Trevor Dunbar On Africans: "We'll catch up with them eventually. But it won't be tomorrow."
*Japanese Team Outperforms Americans
Stanford Invite *Results *Photos
*Men's Distance Video *Women's Video
Lisa Koll Runs 31:18.07 To Crush Kipyego's Collegiate Record Koll's remarkable return from a disappointing
2009 continues as her 10,000m pace would have won the top heat of the
5,000. *Koll's World Leader
*Brief Article With Quotes
More Stanford Talk On The Boards:
*D2 Jessica Pixler runs fastest 5k in the COUNTRY *Women's 5k Results
*Freshman Jordan Hasay wins Stanford 1,500 Results and discussion as Hasay runs 4:14.
*David McNeill!!! Aussie David McNeill crushed the field in a mostly solo effort, running 13:25 and closing in 2:32 for the last km. In other news, former U. Arizona star Robert Cheseret is now running for the US Army.
Props: Army's John Mickowski Wins 1,500 Over Post-Collegiates
Spring "Marathon Major" Updates
- Ryan Hall Talks With Running Times About His Faith And Running We give Hall a lot of credit as he talks sincerely about his morals and beliefs.
- WBZ Boston Catches Up With Low-Key Ryan Hall Training On Boston Course We'll see how Hall's non-existent racing schedule pays off in 3+ weeks.
- Boston Elites Robert Cheruiyot pulls out but Meb K remains only the 16th-fastest PR in the deep field.
- Virgin London Elites Biggest international superstars still heading to London.
Caster To IAAF - Make The Decision
Semenya Emphatically Announces Return To Competitive Running In a media announcement where she read a speech seemingly prepared by lawyers hoping to put more pressure on the IAAF, Caster Semenya described her saga and announced her intent to compete.
*Official Transcript Of Caster Semenya's Media Announcement
*Athletics South Africa And IAAF Say Semenya Will Not Compete Until Decision Is Made What would you decide if you were the IAAF? See the poll results to the right.
North American Road Race Times - 27:59, 27:49, 28:26 ...
Kenyans and Ethiopians weren't just dominating in Poland this weekend ...
Alabama: *John Kemboi Wins Alazea Trail Run Road 10k In 27:59
*Press Register Writer Tells Readers To Stop Whining About Kenyans Winning Races
South Carolina: Simon Ndirangu Overcomes Harroufi, Regassa To Win River Bridge 10k Run In 27:49 Regassa won $300,000 earlier this year at Zayed and only got 3rd here despite running sub-28:00 on the roads.
Richmond And Canada - World Junior Medalist Alene Reta Double Wins: *28:26 Wins Ukrop's 10km In Richmond On Saturday
*1:32:22 30km Course Record On Sunday At Hamilton's Around The Bay
- Top 3 Marathon Times Of 2009 Came From Rotterdam Marathon - 9 Sub-2:09 Men Hope For Repeat In 2010 3rd place in Rotterdam last year went to future world marathon champion Abel Kirui, who ran 2:05:07. '09 Paris Marathon champion Vincent Kipruto is the big name for the April 11 race.
- Video: 2000 Aussie Olympian Georgie Clarke Smashing Vic Champs 1,500m In 4:15 Clarke was a teen sensation, making the Olympics in 2000 before struggling with expectations.
- Bolt Announces Paris Diamond League Intentions Well, we know Paris will be selling out.
- Good Read: Usain Bolt Talks To Guardian About Clubbing, Loving Life In Kingston, And Maybe Giving 100% In A 100m Someday Bolt says he will try to stay unbeaten in 2010 but wants the year to be as easy as possible.
- Valerie Vili Splits With Coach After Long Win Streak Ends
World Track And Field Leaders
*Russia's Sports Minister Admits 343 Doping Positives In 3 Years While President
Medvedev Threatens Criminal Charges Against Winter Olympic Coaches Translation: if we're going to blatantly cheat and spend millions in gov't money doing it, we better win some medals.
*Last week: US May Be Stripped Of 4th Olympic Relay Medal In '00 Decade
Women's Senior Race - Americans Nab Only Non-African Medal Of The Day *Team *Individual *Photos
Flanagan's 12th Leads Americans To Team Bronze Molly Huddle and Magdalena Lewy-Boulet came in 40 seconds after Flanagan to secure the only non-African team or individual medal on the day.
Emily Chebet Surprise Over Masai, Dibaba And Melkamu In Women's Race
David Monti: Kenya Dominates World XC
*Chebet And Masai Trump Melkamu And Dibaba
R.I.P. Alberto Arroyo - Mayor Of Central Park
- Runners And Joggers Honor Deceased Central Park Figure NY Times
- After Arroyo's Stroke, Friends From Park Signed Up To Wheel Him In Wheelchair To Reservoir NY Times
- The Story Of Alberto Arroyo With Photos On His Bench
Europe Weekend Update
- LRC Prague Half Marathon Photos Joel Kemboi won by a huge margin and Rose Kosgei won women's race.
- LRC Berlin Half Marathon Photos Pasalia Kipkoech made sure home favorite Sabrina Mockenhaupt didn't win her 2nd in a row and Ethopian Eshetu Wondimu ends the Kenyan string. *Recap
- Japan-based Kenyan Martin Mathathi runs 27:22 to beat Micah Kogo by :30 at Parelloop road 10km
Women's Junior XC Race *Team *Individual
*Kenya Goes 1-4 Led By Mercy Cherono 4 runners make up a team at World Cross and Kenya scored a perfect 10 to start the day.
*Americans Take 6th Team Slot With Emily Sisson In 18th
The Greatest Race On The Planet - World XC - Is Sunday 6am-8:30a Eastern (Watch Online) *Live Results *Meet Website *How To Watch
- Live Results Looks like US senior women earn bronze team medal!
- IAAF Race Reports Kenyans dominate both junior and women's senior race - Senior men up soon.
- Full Results Shalane Flanagan 12th in the senior race, 1 minute behind surprise world senior champion Emily Chebet.
- Official LetsRun Thread
LRC Profile - Moses Kipsiro
LRC Moses Kipsiro And The Legacy Of John Akii-Bua Kipsiro is Uganda's top runner and was the runner-up at last year's World XC Champs. Thanks to PJ Browne, we go behind the scenes to try to put a story and a face to Kipsiro so he is not just another nameless "African runner."
LRC Can't Miss: Training Talk #6 With Craig Virgin Two-time World Cross-Country champion and two-time American record holder Craig Virgin joined us for Training Talk #6 and talked about a wide range of subjects, including his high school and college training, his time with Nike and Athletics West, racing 3 times in 4 days during a "front-loaded" career, and Jimmy Carter and the 1980 US Olympic Boycott that cost Virgin his best shot at an Olympic medal. Virgin is a true ambassador of US distance running and one of the greatest-ever US distance runners - whether you're looking for training advice, inspiration or entertainment, his stories and opinions are a must-hear.