New York Is One Week From Sunday
LRC 2013 New York City Marathon Men's Preview: Can Course Record Holder Geoffrey Mutai Hold Off Olympic Champ Stephen Kiprotich And London Champ Tsegaye Kebede? Next Sunday, distance fans will see their the 728 days of waiting for the great marathon that takes place the first Sunday in November in the Big Apple come to an end with a mesmerizing men's race that features the fastest man in history Geoffrey Mutai, London champ Tsegaye Kebede, World and Olympic champion Stephen Kiprotich, five-time WMM champ Martin Lel, and others. What about Meb Keflezighi, Jason Hartmann, Ryan Vail, Jeffrey Eggleston and the Americans?
NCAA XC Conference Mania Is Next Week As Well
Ivy League Men's Cross-Country Preview: Will Columbia Hold Off
Princeton, Which Is Looking For Its Fourth Straight Title? Since there is little action going on this weekend, we thought we'd preview the conference we know best. Are you interested in previewing your favorite conference? Email us.
LRC 2013 Ivy League Women's Cross-Country Preview: Can Dartmouth And D'Agostino Stop Cornell From Three-Peating?
- The Only Sub-2 Hour Marathon You'll Live To See: 50,000 Children From 60 Countries Around The World Participate In Save The Children World Marathon Relay Challenge Students at schools try to challenge the marathon WRs by Wilson Kipsang and Paula Radcliffe, running the distance in 200m relay segments. The fastest 13 and younger team ran 1:51:39 and there was an adult/open section where a club team ran 1:42:22.
- Serbia's Surprise World Champs LJ Bronze Medalist Ivana Spanovic Hoping To Repeat Success At 2014 World Indoor Champs She set a NR in Moscow with 6.82m to get the bronze and his hoping for more of the same in 2014.
- New Zealand 63-Year-Old Grandmother Will Complete Her 100th Marathon Next Weekend In Auckland Apparently she'll be the 38th New Zealander to join the 100 marathon club. "I'm not a real runner," insists Charlotte Nasey.
- Interview With UK Heptathlete Katarina Johnson-Thompson She was 5th at Moscow World Champs.
- Asafa Powell Training At Secret, Private Location With A New Coach
- Russian 2012 Olympic 10,000 Runner Elizaveta Grechishnikova Banned For Doping
- Yet Another Drug Debate: British Medical Journal: Should Athletes Be Allowed To Use Performance-Enhancing Drugs? Memo to morons who say "Yes" - do you want to turn all women into men?
- Former Penn State Sprinter Dominique Blake Appeals 6-Year Ban For Doping
- Denver Gorilla Run Is Saturday 1,500 runners in gorilla costumes to run.
- Going To Vegas And Want To Run? Hidden Running Treasures In Sin City We recommend going to Vegas immediately after your season ends and not running a step.
- Matt Fitzgerald Tells You How Hard Strength Training For Runners Should Be
- American Distance Coach Scott Simmons To Open 50-Tap Bar In Colorado
*Discuss On MB: Scott Simmons Opening Taproom in Colorado Springs
Elite Marathon / Ultra News
- Recommended Read: Toni Reavis Looks At Why Ryan Hall And Dathan Ritzenhein Aren't As Good As The Top Kenyans Reavis: "Maybe the best advice would be for Ryan, or any other American, to discover a time
machine and dial it back about 30 years when he could have been number one in the world rather than just number one from sea to shining sea."
*Rojo Answers: G-E-N-E-T-I-C-S
- Good Q&A With Jason Hartmann Ahead Of Next Weekend's NYC Marathon Hartmann says he "can't complain" about his training going in and feels confident in his fitness. Hartmann also talks about still not having a sponsor (despite back-to-back 4th place finishes at Boston) and wanting to be a college coach when his career is over.
- USATF 24 Hour National Championship Are This Weekend In Oklahoma City AR holder and 2012 World Champ Mike Morton leads the field. In case you're curious what the AR is, it's 172.457 miles, which is 8:21 pace (151.759 miles for women).
- Matt Flaherty Named USATF Athlete Of THe Week After Winning US 50 Mile Road Champs
- Major Security Increases This Year For The Standard Chartered Nairobi International Marathon This Weekend
Cycling: Private Investigators Seized Former UCI President Pat McQuaid's Laptop Within Minutes Of Him Losing His Re-Election To UK's Brian Cookson Apparently Cookson's first act as President (literally minutes after winning) was to sign a form ordering McQuaid's laptop and documents be seized before he had a chance to destroy possible evidence against him.
WADA Officials Will Visit Jamaica To Audit Anti-Doping Program Next Week After WADA Head John Fahey Expressed Anger Over JADCO's "Stonewalling" Until Next Year Embarrassingly for Fahey, apparently the plans for WADA's visit next were set before he went public with his criticisms.
- LRC Nick Willis In Sixth, Bernard Lagat In Last After Day 1 Of World Speed Golf Championships Bernard Lagat may be fast, but he's not a very good golfer as he put up a 118 in round 1. Nick Willis shot 86 in 44 minutes of play - but they weren't even the fastest runners in the field.
*Live 11am ET: MB: World Speed Golf Champs Are Saturday And Sunday And Nick Willis Is One Of The Favorites - Official 2013 World Speed Golf Live Play-By-Play Discussion Thread - Starts At 11am ET
*NYRR Article On World Speed Golf Champs *Meet Website
*MB: Bernard Lagat and Nick Willis to play speed golf?
- Lolo Jones Makes US Bobsled Team For World Cup This brings her one step closer to making the US team for the 2014 Winter Games. US gold medalist sprinter Lauryn Williams also made the World Cup team.
- German Fernandez 3rd In Portland XC Race Alan Webb's wife Julia (2nd) and Kara Goucher (4th) were in the women's race.
*MB: German Fernandez 3rd in random club XC race
- Sunday (Live Online For Free At 5:30am ET): IAAF Frankfurt Marathon Preview: Dino Sefir And Feyisa Lilesa Hoping To Be First Ethiopian Winner Since 1984
*LRC Frankfurt Marathon Preview: 5 Sub-2:05:30 Guys And Moses Masai To Race, Meselech Melkamu Will Try To Defend As Gelete Burka Debuts
- MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage: Sarah Baxter Dominates At Mt. SAC With A 16:11
*MB: Austin Tamango sophomore 1434 at Mt SAC
Other Weekend Racing
- Great South Run: Just Over A Month After Running 2:21 In Berlin, Florence Kiplagat Wants 51:00 Course Record On Sunday At Great South Run
*Defending Champ Stephen Mokoka Hoping To Defend His Great South Run Men's Title
- Ethiopian 1,500 Runner Dawit Wolde Is Running 20k Road Race In France This Weekend He's got a 60:32 13.1 PR and likely can make more money on the roads than as a 3:34 guy.
- Reigning Euro Cross-Country Champ Andrea Lalli Finally To Make His Marathon Debut In Venice On Sunday He's got a 61:11 13.1 PR.
- After Recent Terrorist Attacks, Security Will Be High At Nairobi's Standard Chartered Nairobi International Marathon
- Van Cortlandt Park Is Celebrating Its 100th Anniversary This Year And Gets NYTimes.com Profile The article says the course needs some work. Hasn't it been basiocally shut down for about 5 years?
- 4:12/9:03 Guy Patrick Perrier Commits To Stanford
International Pro News
- RRW With Broken Bone Healed, Sally Kipyego Ready To Return To Racing And Race For First Time In 2013 Kipyego will face Shalane Flanagan, Molly Huddle, Emily Infeld and others next weekend in the NYRR Dash to the Finish 5-K.
- As We Get Closer To Winter, World's Top Athletes Turn Their Focus To World Indoor Champs In Sopot, Poland This March Among athletes who've confirmed their intention to compete is Mohammed Aman, who will defend his title from 2012.
- TJ World Champ Teddy Tamgho Also Confirms He Will Compete At 2014 World Indoor Champs Tamgho is the WR holder indoors.
- GB Sprint Phenom Adam Gemili Leaves Coach Who Got Him To A Sub-20 200 To Work With Sub-10 Man James Dasaolu And His Coach Gemili hopes that training with Dasaolu will help him improve.
- Canada's 2003 IAAF World Championships 100 Hurdles Gold Medalist Perdita Felicien Has Retired She is the Canadian NR holder and represented them at all 6 World Championships between 2001 and 2011 (as well as the 2000 and 2004 Olympics).
- Australian Athletes Will Be Banned From Drinking Alcohol In The Olympic Village During Rio 2016 And Even On The Flight Home This is in direct response to the controversies the team experienced at London 2012.
- AW Preview Of This Weekend's UK Cross Challenge: £30,000 Total Prize Money On The Line 1:05 half marathoner Dewi Griffiths leads the men's field.
- Japan May Be Forced To Scale Back Ambitious Design For 2020 Olympic Stadium To Save Costs
- Huffington Post Blogger Claims "There is nothing more fashionable these days than attacking the NCAA." Are people too harsh on the NCAA?
- Bucknell University No. 1 In Nation In Student-Athlete Graduation Rate
Kenyan Liliane Jelagat Gets 2-Year Doping Ban Jelagat tested positive for EPO at the Appingedam 10K road race, which she won in 31:54.
Upcoming Road Action
- Next Week: Duh: Edna Kiplagat Focused On Winning New York And $600,000 ($500,000 For WMM Title) And Not Time
- December: 2013 Fukuoka Field Announced: Gebre Gebremariam,Fujiwara And Kawauchi Headline As Martin Mathahi And Alistair Cragg Hope To Fnish Their First Marathons
*MB: Discuss 2013 Fukuoka marathon entry list (Bobby Curtis is on list)
Blog It Up
Good Read: Blog From Irish Olympic Steeplechaser Roisin McGettigan: "The Professional State Of Mind. A Letter To Aspiring Pros." McGettigan analyzes the mental approach you should be taking towards your running and what she says is relevant to runners at any level.
The Week That Was - Weekly Recap
LRC Meet America's Two Super Frosh, Super Seniors, Jordan Hasay Versus Emily Infeld, Abbey D. And Kennedy K., Mick Byrne And More Last week, midterms were held for NCAA XC and we break it all down for you with praise for Mick Byrne, Ben Saarel, Sean McGorty and others. We start to think about who is going to win $500,000 in New York next week. Plus if you could coach one runner, Emily Infeld or Jordan Hasay, who would you choose?
Coming Sunday (Live Online At 5:30am ET): LRC Frankfurt Marathon Preview: 5 Sub-2:05:30 Guys And Moses Masai To Race, Meselech Melkamu Will Try To Defend As Gelete Burka Debuts
Say It Ain't So
LRC Ryan Hall Pulls Out Of 2013 New York City Marathon It soon will be two-plus years since the fastest marathoner in US history has finished a 26.2 mile race.
MB: Ryan Hall has withdrawn from NYCM
BIZARRE / NOT YOUR EVERYDAY STORIES
- World Record? 6-Year-Old American Runs Half Marathon In 2:47 And Is Being Hyped As Youngest To Run A Half Marathon Her mom is very impressed but we are less so. All LetsRun.com regulars probably remember Budhia Singh, who ran 48 marathons by age 4.
- Marine Corps Marathon Bans Halloween Masks
- Reminder: Russia's "Controversial" Anti-Gay Law Passed Its House 436-0
- Californians Who Complained About Noise At San Francisco Marathon Got Sent To Sex Line
- America's Only Official TDFrance Official Winner Greg LeMond Says Lance Should Go To Jail He's got a point. A fraud worth more than $100 million is a pretty hefty crime.
- After Wheeling Himself Across The Entire Country, Wheelchair Racer Is Ready For 2013 ING New York City Marathon