Week That Was
LRC Week That Was: Dennis Kimetto, Ritz Jeptoo And All Things Chicago Marathon, Kim Smith, Stephen Sambu Pick Up $100k, Haile Gebrselassie Still Has It We look at just how good Kimetto's and Jeptoo's Chicago performances were, explain why we're not crazy about the BAA Distance Medley's gimmicky prize money structure and remind you that even at 40 years old, Geb is still very, very good.
Bad Marathon News
- Kenyan Marathoner Dies At Kimbilio Marathon In Kenya As He Led With Only 2K To Go He collapsed and died in the ambulance before reaching the hospital.
- Government Shutdown Could Cancel Marine Corps Marathon An official decision will be made Saturday.
2013 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Results *LRC Men's Preview *LRC Women's Preview
Some Chicago Talk To Spice Up Your Monday Evening:
*What are the US men missing in marathon training???? A lot of discussion.
*Chicago winner today has never run a track race
*Kimetto 150 mpw. Ritz 110 mpw, once 120 mpw.
LRC Dennis Kimetto Wins, Shatters Course Record With 2:03:45 Clocking Wow, what a race! 61:52 for the first half, 61:53 for the second half. Dennis Kimetto put on a show and staked his claim to being the #1 marathoner on the planet as he beat Emmanuel Mutai, who became the first man to break 2:04 and lose on a loop course. Americans Ritz and Teg didn't get what they wanted.
Analysis: Eight Quick Takes On The Men's Race: Kimetto Is A Stud, Mutai Is Mr. Silver, Teg & Ritz Struggle Final 10k, Abshero Goes For It We've got a lot to say about this great race, so it appears in a separate piece.
*Top 30 Chicago Marathon Results
- Former TJ World Champ Philips Idowu Among UK Athletes Losing National Funding
- Medal-Winning Athletes Jenny Meadows, Andy Turner And Lisa Dobriskey Among Those Axed From Lottery Funding
- European Male Athlete Of The Year HJer Ukrainian Bondarenko Says "I won't sleep before I have cleared the world record, maybe next year."
- Mo Farah Reacts To English Soccer Player Who Says Only English-Born Players Should Play Football For England www.theguardian.com Farah, who came to the UK from Somalia when he was 8, said "making your country proud is what matters."
*Phil Hersh's Men's Recap
*Race Results Weekly Recap
Chicago On The Boards:
MB: OFFICIAL 2013 Chicago Marathon Play-by-Play Thread
*I love Ritz but.....
*Kimetto 150 mpw. Ritz 110 mpw, once 120 mpw.
*What are the US men missing in marathon training????
*No US guys currently within a mile of the best Marathoners. Sad.
*Teg would not have won US champs last weekend in MN
*Was Ritz crying in his flotrack interview?
*Hall v. Ritz
*Ritz' shoes- 2013 Chicago Marathon
*Teg was Jerry's best male marathon so far
*Chicago winner today has never run a track race
*Kawauchi ran 2:11:40 today in 8th marathon of '13. Will Tegenkamp beat his time?
The Inside Scoop
Friday: LRC Will The Race Go Out In 61:45 And How Will Dathan Ritzenhein React? (link fixed) With good weather in the forecast, the leading Africans may want to go out more than a minute faster than Ritz wants. Will they be slowed to please Ritz or will he have to solo it alone? Also, Emmanuel Mutai reveals he's healthy and Moses Mosop is going to be tough to beat.
Thursday: LRC 5 Takeaways From Thursday's Presser: Mosop Is Healthy And Fit, Tadese Is Ready For Another Crack At 26.2, Kimetto And Abshero Are Confident, And Kogo Hopes He's Ready For Uncharted Territory We broke down the race earlier for you on you on paper, but you never know what really to expect until you get the inside scoop on-site. We've got it and you can as well if you read our piece. Plus was there a fix at the 2012 Berlin Marathon?
More Chicago Men's Pre-Race Coverage: LRC Teg Does The Marathon: Matt Tegenkamp Shares His Thoughts Ahead Of His Highly-Anticipated Marathon Debut Teg is full of confidence: "I feel so much more comfortable on the roads than I do the track, and I never thought I'd say that."
More Chicago News:
Journalism At Its Finest:
If You Read One Thing All Month, This Should Be It: Inspiring Story On US's Stephanie Pezzullo: Running For Her Life The Charlotte Observer's Théoden Janes has written a masterpiece after Pezzulo opened up to him about her struggles in life. A tough upbringing with a bipolar dad who allegedly sexually abused her led to crushing anxiety and even a suicide attempt. She was saved by sports (first soccer, now running) and faith.
*Excellent Recommended Read: One Of The Good Guys In The Sport Team Eugene's Craig Leon Hoping For 2:11-12 In Chicago We enjoyed meeting Leon in Boston and Curtis Anderson has written an excellent profile on Leon, who works a job and has "never had a bad marathon" according to coach Ian Dobson.
*Article On Matt Tegenkamp From Chicago Tribune
- Commonwealth Games' Queen's Baton Relay Is In India - Problems Loom In Pakistan
- National 6 & 4 Stage Road Relays / Report & Results
- Bohdan Bondarenko And Zuzana Hejnová Named European Athletes Of The Year Emir Bekrić and Iceland's Anita Hinriksdottir claimed the European Athletics Rising Star Awards.
*More On European Awards
*IAAF On European Awards
- Q&A With Former Villanova Star Sonia O'Sullivan
- Manhattan HS Invite Is This Weekend
- Tariku Bekele Is Headlining Next Weekend's Bupa Great Birmingham Run
- A Record Number Of Teams Have Been Entered Into The Great Run Club Challenge At The Bupa Great Birmingham Run
- A Preview Of This Week's ERRA National 6- And 4-Stage Road Relays At Sutton Park In The UK
Mo Farah Doesn't Actually Think He Can Run Sub-2 Hours
- Mo Farah Downplays Suggestions That He Could Break 2-Hours In The Marathon, Saying That's "Crazy" He said, "I don't think two hours is going to be broken in the next 10 years or even beyond that, maybe even 100 years ... The rumours actually started because my sponsor are working on a shoe called 'Sub Two-Hour.' They keep working on that, and that's how the rumours started. I never actually said it."
*Video With Farah
*Farah Unlikely To Do Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games As He Focuses On The London Marathon He said, "Glasgow is a bonus if I do it but it is not on my list."
US Distance News
- Good Read: Jenny Simpson Talks To The IAAF About Her Career And The Race That First Made Her Realize She Had A Future Outside The Steeplechase She set the collegiate 1,500 record at 3:59.90 in 2009 at Pre Classic and says, "My effort at Pre was a paradigm shift for my career in several ways. ... I'd thought of myself as a steeplechaser with a future in the 5,000m and 10,000m but after that race, there just seemed to be less limitations and more possibilities for my future in the sport."
- Janet Bawcom Feeling In Good Shape Ahead Of NYC Marathon After Winning Monday's Tufts Health Plan 10K In 32:28 NYC will be her first full marathon since the 2012 Olympic Trials.
- WADA Won't Build Any New Labs In Europe Or North Africa For Next 5 Years As They Focus On Africa And Latin America
- Usain Bolt's Coach Glen Mills Defends Jamaican Anti-Doping Saying that They've Been Unfairly Targeted Because Of Their Success He said, "Nobody wants to see their dominance of sprinting continue" and that the media has been "sensationalising" the issue.
Jamaica Anti-Doping Programme Set To Be Investigated By WADA This investigation is in response to allegations made by former JADCO director Renee Anne Shirley. WADA is unhappy, though, that the visit will not happen until 2014.
Monday's Tufts 10k For Women *Results
LRC With An Assist From Meseret Defar, Sentayehu Ejigu Sets Course Record At Tufts Health Plan 10-K For Women, Emily Infeld Second
of Ethiopia was encouraged to run this race
by Meseret Defar and she left breaking the 25-year-old course record of Anne Hannam. Emily Infeld's strong 2013 continued with a second-place finish. Janet Bawcom was fourth and led Team USA Arizona to the $10,000 team title over Boulder Running Company/Adidas.
More: Chicago Tribune From 1996 On Anne Hannam: Running On Empty: "In that magical summer and fall of 1988, Anne Hannam ran nine road races from Alaska to Massachusetts, won all nine and set seven course records. She also weighed 96 pounds and was starving herself slowly ..."
LRC Forums: Whatever Happened to Anne Hannam?
*Emily Infeld 31:47 Road 10k
2013 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Results
LRC Rita Jeptoo Wins, Sets World-Leading 2:19:57 Time By Running A Big Negative Split (updated with quick takes) Jeptoo
lost in agonizing
fashion last year in a sprint.
This year, she left no doubt as she crushed the second half (68:42) to become the first person under 2:20 in 2013. Her final 12.2 k was simply unreal, as she did her best Paula Radcliffe impersonation and ran faster for her final 12.2k than both Ritz and Teg.
*Top 30 Chicago Marathon Results
*Race Results Weekly Recap
*Chicago Tribune Women's Recap
Other Weekend Action
- Boston / Most Ridiculous Prize In Running: Kim Smith Wins $100,000 In Style, Wins 2013 BAA Half Marathon With 69:14 Course Record
- Lelisa Desisa Sets 60:34 Course Record At 2013 BAA Half Marathon But Stephen Sambu Is Big Winner On Day With $100,000 Payday
- Giro di Trentoe 10k: Edward Soi Wins Thrilling Sprint Finish Over Wilson Kiprop And Imange Merga The finish was tight as the winning time was just 29:01.
- Eindhoven Marathon: 14-Year Kenyan Win Streak Halted As Ethiopia's Yemane Tsegay Adhane Wins In 2:09:41 IAAF Heavy rain made all the talk of a new course record (2:05:46) a moot point. Ruth Wanjiru won the women's race in 2:34:48.
- Cologne Marathon: Janet Rono PRs By 5+ Minutes (2:28:36) To Win, Nicholas Chelimo (2:09:45) Wins Men's Title
- Baltimore: Former Elizabethtown Runner Dave Berdan Wins Baltimore Marathon - 1st Local Champ Ever
- ASICS Grand 10: Joyce Chepkirui Runs 6th-Fastest Road 10k Ever And Fastest Ever In Germany (30:37)
- Paris 20k: Sarah Chepchirchir Sets Course Record At Paris 20k (1:05:03) As Ethiopia's Tebalu Zawude Wins Men's In 58:07
The Week In Review
LRC WTW: Zola Budd, Running Models, Veronica Campbell-Brown, Twin Cities Past And Present, Guelph, And Bad College Sports Publicity This week we praise college XC winners old (Zola Budd) and young (Alexa Efraimson), talk about the juggernauts of Canadian collegiate XC, talk about Twin Cities winners past and present, and tell the Yale and Lousiville Sports Info departments that our sport deserves better. Since we had to be a little shorter than normal to get ready for Chicago, we leave you with photo album full of Oiselle models, including Kate Grace and Lauren Fleshman.
Other Marathon News
- London 2014: Mary Keitany's Baby Is Now 5 Months Old, She Hopes To Return To Serious Training By January And Be Ready For London
- Recommended Read: Great Q&A With Annie Bersagel The former Fullbright scholar just
PRed by 13 minutes to win the US Marathon Champs in 2:31. Not bad for a woman who just got out of Stanford law school and works a full-time job.
*MB: Memo to all who say lack of sponsors is stopping you from being great: A Fulbright scholar and lawyer just won US champs
- More Twin Cities News: 58-Year-Old Christine Kennedy Ran 2:58 At Twin Cities - Missed Age 55-59 World Record By 6 Minutes
- Upcoming Marathons - Toronto: Kenya's 2:06:58 Man Henry Sugut Is Hoping To Break 2:07:58 CR In Toronto Next Week
- New York: 2:25 Marathoner Lisa Stublic's Relatives Wanted Her To Gain 22 Pounds So She Could Get Married
- Former 200-400 Sprint Star Marie-Jose Perec Is Running New York City Marathon Next Month At Age 45 She won Olympic gold in 1992 and two more in 1996.
News From Down Under
- Olympic Hurdles Champion Sally Pearson Splits With Coach Sharon Hannan After 14-Year Fling
- Interesting Interview With 2-Time Olympian And Now Coach Chris Wardlaw, Who Hopes Craig Mottram Makes Olympics #5 In 2016 He says Mottram is "keen" to run the marathon and Wardlaw says Mottram has "cadence and relaxation" needed to be successful.
- Australia's Oldest Olympian Basil Dickinson Has Died At Age 98 The triple jumper refused to give Hitler a Nazi salute in 1936.
- Color Run Has Been Exported To Australia
- Zola Budd's Daughter Is A Star In South Carolina HS XC *Discuss
- Olympic PV Champ Renaud Lavillenie Blogs About His 6,700-Point Decathlon At End Of The Year
- Japan Picks Up More Golds In Distance Events At East Asian Games (14:25 Won The Men's 5k)
- Egypt's 100m Hurdles Record Holder Says Lack Of Training Facilities Is Hurting Egyptians' Times
- A Look At 10 Track Athletes That Have Appeared On Dancing With The Stars Around The Globe
- WADA Is Worried That World Cup Start Next Year And Rio Drug Lab Has Lost Its Accreditation
One We Missed From The Weekend
Kenya's Dominic Ondoro Beats Yuki Kawauchi In Melbourne Marathon Ondoro ran 2:10:47 to Kawauchi's 2:11:40. Aussie Lisa Jane Weightman ran 2:26:05 to win the women's race with the fastest time ever by an Australian woman on home soil.
*Local Article On The Race And Weightman, Who Also Set The CR
Big One We Missed From Weekend:
Groninge Netherlands: Viola Kibiwot Sets Worlds Best For 4 Miles As Haile Gebrselassie Nearly Beats Yenew Alamirew 19:14 for 4 miles for Kibiwot as Emily Chebet ran 19:17 to break the old record as well.
On The Boards: Meanwhile, Gebrselassie clocks 17:31 for 4 miles in race vs Alamirew
News From The UK
- Mo Farah's Wife Talks In Great Depth About What It's Like To Be Married To Farah Sounds like Farah gets an F for child care duties when he's 100% in charge.
- Great Britain 4 X 100m Women's Relay Squad To Gain Lottery Reward
- Sale Harriers Win National 6-Stage Road Relays For First Time, As Aldershot, Farnham & District Win Women's Event In Record-Breaking Time
News About Some Upcoming Marathons
- Next Week Is Toronto: Kenya's 2:06:58 Man Henry Sugut Is Hoping To Break 2:07:58 CR In Toronto Next Week
- Two Weeks: Standard Chartered Bank Paying More Than $1 Million To Sponsor Standard Chartered Nairobi Marathon
More Than 23,000 Will Compete In Nairobi
Three Weeks To New York: A Look At New York Runners Wesley Korir's Charity Endeavors
- Toni Reavis And Sam Grotewald Debate Whether Geoffrey Mutai Can Break NYC Marathon Course Record In 3 Weeks Reavis says no: "... in the 29 years between Salazar's 2:08:13 and 2010 (the year before Mutai), the record over the five-borough course had only come down by 30 seconds. This leads me to believe that Mutai's 2011 performance in NYC, like his 2:03:02 in Boston that spring, is a one-off type performance that may last longer than any previous New York City Marathon record."
Kevin Helliker Writes Follow-Up Column In WSJ After Receiving Backlash From The "Slowest Generation" The 20 and 30 somethings have responded with excuses for why they are slow, including "The economy is so bad, we can't help it."
*MB Discussion: Obama/economy to blame for slowing of running times across country?
News From Africa
- Newly-Minted World Marathon Record Holder Wilson Kipsang Will Run 15k On Dec 1
- World XC Champ Japhaet Korir Racing Asbel Kiprop In A 12K XC Race This Saturday In Kenya Boston marathon winner Rita Jeptoo and world marathon silver medalist Priscah Jeptoo are in the women's race.
- AK Boss Isaiah Kiplagat Orders Kenyan Marathon Organizers To Do Away With Race-Day Registration Apparently day-of registration at an event last week caused the race to start very late.
- Security At Stanchart Nairobi Marathon Stepped Up In Wake Of Westgate Mall Terrorist Attacks
- More SA Blunders: Previously Uncancelled 2013 Soweto Marathon Is Now Officially Cancelled
- Jamaican VCB Supporter Scolds "Cynics" That Got Angry When She First Tested Positive
- Ramone McKenzie, The 2007 World Youth 200-Meter Champion, Has Left Lance Brauman And Returned To Jamaica To Move Up To 400
- After Hamstring Issues Derailed Him In 2nd Round Of Moscow, Batman Vows To Fly Again, Irrepressible Bershawn Jackson Vows Full Recovery
- Texas A&M Heptathlete Annie Kunz Is Even Better At Soccer Than Track