Big Races Set For This Weekend And Indoor Season *Houston Marathon Live Stream Sunday @ 8AM ET *Register For Sunday's Bay Area Cross Challenge
- Crazy Deep Field Set For Millrose 2 Mile As Evan Jager, Dathan Ritzenhein, German Fernandez And Andrew Bumbalough Added To Field They join previously announced Bernard Lagat, Cam Levins and Lawi Lalang.
- Great Men's Mile Highlights UW Indoor Preview This Saturday: Galen Rupp, Matt
Centrowitz and Dorian Ulrey Will Be Paced Through 800 In 1:55 By Pro-Rabbit Matt Scherer Alberto Salazar-coached highschooler Mary Cain is in the women's 3k.
- Today: Patrick Tambwe Will Try To Defend His Title At The Tiberias Marathon in Israel Last year he won in 2:07:29 which was the fastest marathon time by a European for almost four years.
- Houston: Q&A With Luke Puskedra Ahead Of Sunday's Houston Half Marathon Where He Hopes To Break 1:01 Last year he ran 1:01:36 and feels he's in a lot better shape this year.
- 2:34 Marathon Wendy Thomas Pulls Out Of Houston Marathon With IT Band Injury
- Satuday In Kenya: Last Meet In KCB Athletics Kenya XC Seires Will Decide The Overall Winner Of The Almost $14,000 Jackpot 2010 World XC champ Emily Chebet is the favorite in the women's field.
- Feb. 8th Düsseldorf Meet: Kim Collins Vs Christophe Lemaitre Over 60m, Olympic Silver Medallist Bjorn Otto In The PV Also US hurdlers Danielle Carruthers and Ginnie Crawford in the 60m hurdles and European 100m champ Ivet Lalova in the flat 60m. *Classic MB Thread: Ivet Lalova Blows Employee #1 a Kiss...
Racing And Admin News In Kenya
- Iten Will Get It's First Track: Former Half Marathon WR Holder Lorna Kiplagat Building A 400m Tartan Track In Iten, Kenya
- Yesterday: Olympic Steeplechaser Mercy Njoroge And Simon Ndirangu Win Laikipia Air Base XC Races
- Kenyan Parliment Finally Passes "Sports Bill" Which Was First Drafted In 2002 "The Bill will harness sports for development, encourage and promote sports and recreation; provide for the establishment of sports institutions, facilities, administration and management of sports in the country. *2nd Article
- Writer Says New Kenyan Sports Bill "Has Grey Areas"
- Athletics Kenya Elections Set For February 20th
Previous Houston/Indoor Meet Previews
- Good News: After Announcing He May Scratch Due To Achilles Issues, Andrew Carlson Says He's "Definitely Racing" Houston On Sunday
- Houston Marathon Will Be Streamed Live Here This Sunday @8AM ET
- LRC Bay Area Cross Challenge This Sunday Features Team Challenge With Participants Racing With Elites Elites racing include Magdalena Boulet, Shannon Rowbury and David Torrence.
- Feb. 16th: Bernard Lagat Joins Field For Millrose Games 2 Mile Along With Lali Lalang And Cam Levins He'll go after the 8:09.72 AR that Galen Rupp took from him last year. Also announced for the meet, Nick Symmonds and Duane Solomon will go for the AR in the 600m. It will be broadcast live on ESPN3 Feb. 16th (time TBA) and 8-10 p.m. on Feb. 17th on ESPN. *IAAF
- Good News For The Sport: All Three USATF Championship Series Indoor Meets To Be Broadcast Live They are New Balance Indoor Grand Prix (2-Feb), the Millrose Games (16-Feb), and the USA Indoor Track & Field Championships (1-3-March).
- Running On TV? RRW Lists All The Opportunities You Have To Watch Running On TV In January
- Outdoor: 2013 Will Be The First Time Oregon State Has Hosted A Track Meet Since 1988 They'll host on March 23rd and then the first OSU High Performance Meet on April 26th.
Jamaican Sprint News
- Usain Bolt And Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Win Jamaica's Win Golden Cleats Awards Glen Mills took the JAAA Coach of the Year Award.
- Jamaican Sprinter Kerron Stewart Backs Michael Frater's Election To The JAAA Citing The Benefits Of Having A Current Athlete's Perspective
Indoor Season Is Starting Up: Rupp Vs. Top Two 5,000m Runners Of 2012
Galen Rupp Will Battle With Olympic 5,000 Silver Medalist And 2012 WLer Dejen Gebremeskel In New Balance Indoor Grand Prix 3,000 On February 2nd The field will also include World Junior 5,000 champ and the second fastest man in 2012, Hagos Gebrhiwet. Jenn Suhr will highlight the pole vault.
*Indoor Season Kicks Off In Russia: 2004 Olympic 800 Champ Yuriy Borzakovskiy Wins 1,000m In 2:24.27 Olympic 800m bronze medallist Yekaterina Poistogova dominated the women's 1,000m, winning in 2:39.61.
*Outdoors: Olympic LJ Silver Medallist Mitchell Watt Competing In Australia's Hunter Classic Feb. 2nd
Good Read: Adam Nelson Speaks On What Needs To Change In Track And Field In Order For The Sport To Survive And Grow "Maybe we should focus on the smaller fixes, but it delays the inevitable. We're going to have to address the issue of truly professionalising our sport or we will have to accept that our sport only survives on the Olympic coattails."
Random Distance News
- RW Q&A With Sheila Reid On Her Adjustment From College To Professional Running She's still at Villanova being coached by Marcus O'Sullivan. Upcoming, she'll race Millrose and Boston GP indoors.
- Uganda Wants To Host 2015 World XC Champs
- Aussie Distance Runner Mark Tucker Says A Runner's Most Important Attribute Is Motivation
Other Random News: Asafa Powell Gives Some Tips For The Ladies
- Asafa Powell Tells Women How To Keep Guys Interested "Being clingy is a Highway 2000 route to being single. Being too available can come across as desperate and a turn-off. We like a little chase. If you're always there then."
- Angelina Jolie To Direct Film "Unbroken" About Olympian And WWII POW Louis Zamperini
- Usain Bolt And Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Favored To Win Jamaica's Athletics Administrative Association Golden Cleats Awards
- Jessica Ennis Says She'll Stay Put In Sheffield Even If They Knock Her Stadium Down
*Ennis Calls For Sheffield's Don Valley Stadium To Be Saved
Non-Edinburgh Weekend Results: Kim Conley Runs Well In Italy
18-Year-Old Ethiopian Muktar Edris Gets The Win Over A Deep Field In Campaccio XC Race As Kim Conley Gets 4th For The Women He beat out John Kipkoech (12:49 5,000) and sub-27 man Geoffrey Kirui by less than a second as Moses Kipsiro was 4th, Leonard
8th, Euro XC Champ Andrea Lalli 9th and Scott Bauhs 10th. Debele Degefa won the women's race in a
close sprint with Afera Godfay as Conley was 4th and two-time WC steeplechase bronze medallist Milcah Chemos 6th.
*Joseph Ebuya Comeback? Ugandan Runner Soyekwo Kibet Cleans Up At Eldoret XC Meet Over A Deep Field Of Kenyans Former half marathon World champ wilson Kiprop was 3rd and 2010 World XC champ Joseph Ebuya was 4th. Africa Games steeplechase champ Hyvin Kiyeng won over Linet Chepkirui and World junior champ Faith Chepng'etich won the junior race. *IAAF Recap
*African 5,000 Champ Mark Kiptoo Wins XC Meet In Amorebieta, Spain Over Vincent Kiprop Chepkok In 3rd Magdalene Masai (younger sister of Linet Masai) dominated winning by 5 seconds.
*Xiamen Marathon: Negari Terfa Wins With A CR 2:07:32 As The Former Record Holder Peter Kamais Was 5th (2:09:53) Fatuma Sado won the women's race in 2:27:35 as 2:21 woman Eunice Jepkirui was 2nd in 2:30:00.
*NCAA: University of Akron Freshman PVer Shawn Barber Vaults 18-00.5 To Beat Out Two-Time US Champ Mark Hollis And 2010 NCAA Champ Jordan Scott
*HS: MileSplit Weekend Coverage: Hispanic Games And Texas A&M Classic
Meb Racing Houston Half Next Weekend
Loaded Fields Set For Houston Next Weekend: Meb Keflezighi Racing The Half As The Fourth Fastest Runner In History, Atsedu Tsegay Tesfaye (58:47), Is Chasing $50,000 Bonus For Breaking 58:23 WR They'll be up against last year's champion Feyisa Lilesa (2:04:52/59:22), 2:05 man
Wilson Erupe, and Americans Luke Puskedra, Ben True, Aaron Braun and Patrick Rizzo. In the men's full marathon, 2:05 Man Bazu Worku leads against Debebe Tolossa, Andrew Carlson and Fernando Cabada. For the women's full, 2011 NYC runner-up Buzunesh Deba leads against 2:23 woman Merima Mohammed and US's
Tera Moody. In the men's half, the fourth-fastest half runner in history, Atsedu Tsegay
Tesfaye (58:47), will chase the $50,000 bonus for breaking the 58:23 WR. The women half runners are led by Caroline Kilel, last year's full marathon champ Mamitu Daska and Lisa Uhl.
*Recommended Read: An Look At The Routine And Level Of Dedication Used By Meb Keflezighi To Keep Him Running PRs Even At 37 Years Old His routine: Wake up. Stretch. Eat. Run. Drink recovery shake. Complete drills. Stretch. Ice. Eat. Return messages. Nap. Snack. Run. Go to the gym. Do core and strength training. Stretch. Eat. Massage. Compression. Stretch. Sleep. Repeat. Meb says, "I like routine. There are no shortcuts to getting to the starting line healthy."
Sprint Stuff: Bond > Bolt?
- Article Claims That Usain Bolt Was Motivated To Win Gold In London By Pictures Of His Girlfriend's Butt
- Usain Bolt #2 On AskMen.com's Top 49 Men Of 2012 List James Bond was #1.
Other US Distance News
- Two-Time NCAA Champ From Texas, Jacob Hernandez, Officially Retires At Age 27 "Today, I announce my retirement from track and field. Ray Lewis and I decided, its time to go."
*LRC 2008 NCAA 800 Recap *Race Video
*LRC 2008 NCAA Photos
*Retirement Video Interview With Hernandez
- Photo Of Galen Rupp's Backyard Which Shows Him Training In His Own Personal Underwater Treadmill Article also reveals that Rupp will race on January 12th at the University of Washington Indoor Preview.
- Lukas Verzbicas Says He's Back In Full Training And Will Race March 9th Talking about leaving Oregon, he said, "I realize I made a rash decision to leave so soon probably not giving it enough time to get settled in and it seems karma has a funny way of working on us ..."
- Good News For Oregon: New NCAA Transfer Model Would Reduce Eligibility Consequences
- RIP: Olympic Marathon Trials Runner Johanna Olson Dies From Brain Cancer She finished 7th in the 2003 Twin Cities Marathon in 2:43:27.
*Sister Writes Touching Blog On Johanna Olson's Passing www.savejohannasbrain.com
*MB: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 *Luther College Tribute *Johanna's Blog
- Edward Cheserek Has Narrowed His College Search Down To 5 Schools NAU, University of Arizona, Oregon, Portland and Villanova.
Men's 100m / Heineken Bottle Throw Trial Has Begun
Deranged Bottle Thrower Snuck In Without A Ticket And Wanted Bolt To Lose The judo medallist who grabbed him was right on when she said, "Dude, are you crazy?" The answer is yes - the question is, "Does that make him
BBC: Bottle thrower also allegedly said, "Bolt, I want you to lose ... Believe in Blake, no Usain."
*Story Which Includes Photo Of The Man Who Threw The Bottle
Sprint News: Asafa Powell Believes Key For 2013 Is "Not Training Much"
WSJ: "Is Adrian Peterson Nuts To Want To Beat Bolt? In A Word, Yes" In high school, he rain a wind-aided 10.33, but more recently in 2007, he ran a 4.38 40-yard dash, which the WSJ roughly converts to about 11.98 seconds for 100m. We think the conversion is ludicrous
as do others.
*MB: Does the WSJ not do any research?
*MB: WSJ article on AP vs. Bolt
He Can't Get Much Worse Than His Olympic Final: Asafa Powell: "I know that my best race is yet to come." "When I ran the world record, I wasn't training much. When I don't train much, I stay healthy, and this year I was training a lot, that's why I got hurt."
2012 Women's Top 10
TFN's Women's Top 10 Rankings For 2012 Are Out Shannon Rowbury at #5 is the highest ranked US woman in the mid-d or distance events. Somehow Jenny Simpson, who bowed out in the Olympic semis and was the 35th-fastest woman on the year, was ranked #10.
MB: Jenny Simpson World Ranked #10 for 2012? Really?
*A Look At The Jamaican Women Ranked In The Top 10 In The World By TFN
- Suzy Favor Hamilton Loses Another Sponsor In The Wisconsin Potato And Vegetable Growers Association Disney was one thing, but losing the Potato and Vegetable Growers Association has gotta hurt.
- Molly Huddle Defers Med School To Keep Running "I'm lucky to be doing what I'm doing. There's an expiration date. You have to see what you can do. I'm not taking any classes or doing any part-time jobs."
- Good IAAF Profile Of Arizona University HJer Brigetta Barrett, Who "Emerged From Relative Obscurity" To Win Silver At The London Olympics "I remember one person told me, 'You're here for fun, and we're out here thinking about how we'll eat.' In my mind, I was like, OK, I understand what you're talking about but, at the same time, I'm hungry, too. It doesn't matter if I'm trying to feed a family or not; I'm still going to go out there and take what's mine."
The Media Reacts To Suzy Favor Hamilton
Definitely Not Politcally Correct: Chicago Sun-Times Columnist: SFH isn't alone - lots of female distance runners are total nut jobs SFH had "a glint of ferocity in her eyes, of suppressed danger. I saw the look in many of the Wisconsin middle-distance and long-distance female runners. In my book, I made special note of them, of their lapses into near insanity, of their successes and crashes and eating disorders and dependence on their controlling German head coach, Peter Tegen."
*Foot Locker Midwest Head Says Hamilton Can't Even Work As Volunteer At Its Event - Doubts She'll Keep Any Running Jobs "There is not a person in my opinion who has given more back to the sport of distance running than she has. That's why it's so tragic. We're losing Suzy." The UW-Madison School of Education, and the Wisconsin Potato and Vegetable Growers Association also are re-considering.
*FBI Might Be Interested
*The Daily Beast Examines How Escort Services Work (link fixed)
Usain Bolt Gets Dumped
- Usain Bolt Gets Dumped By British Girlfriend She says she couldn't handle the long-distance relationship and spills the beans on what it was like to date the global superstar.
Previous SFH News
*Husband Reacts With Compassion "Yes, I knew. We were essentially separated the past year. We are trying, with help, to see if we can make
it work. Suzy is a good person who went down the wrong path, obviously."
*AP Knocks On Hamilton Door Gets No Answer, Finds Psychologist Who's Not Surprised "She needed to have some way to express some other side of herself that didn't feel as clean or wonderful or upstanding as she appeared to be."
*Seduction Author Not Surprised Either "I believe at least fifty to sixty percent of all single women are Wholesome Pretenders. ... The vast majority of women are taught and brainwashed to behave as 'innocent, wholesome good girls.' For most women, that is not the reality of their inner sexuality."
*Fox Sports.com: Sex scandal not funny, just sad.
*Colin Cowherd (Chris Lear And Rojo's Favorite Sports Radio Guy) Leads ESPN Show With SFH Talk - *Listen As He Says Her Actions Probably Aren't As Rare As You Think
*SFH Lands On Cover Of Daily News
*SFH Banned From All Disney Sporting Events
*runDisney Drops SFH As Event Speaker
*Competitor Group Drops Her As Well
*Bleacher Report: Former Olympian Deserves Privacy To Handle Personal Issues
The Smoking Gun.com: Suzy Favor Hamilton Has Been Working As $600/Hour Escort For Last Year SFH, the 3-time Olympian, has
been one of the hottest commodities in the escort business over the last year as she jumped up to a #3 ranking and got rave reviews for her runner's body and for providing
the "full GFE (girlfriend experience)." One client raved, "I would do anything to protect her. ... She is worth every penny. I will go bankrupt before I stop seeing her. I hope no one else goes to see her, because I want her all to myself. ... I never thought I would find anyone in this hobby like her."
*Suzy Favor Hamilton Issues A Statement
*MB: Suzy Favor-Hamilton: Vegas Escort
Reaction From Across The Globe:
*NY Times: 1,176 Words On SFH: Former Olympian Cites Depression For Taking Job As Escort
*NY Daily News On Hamilton
*RRW: Suzy Favor Hamilton Admits To Double Life As $600 Per Hour Escort (link fixed)
*Hometown Reaction: Wisconsin State Journal: Suzy Favor Hamilton cites depression as reason she led "double life" as high-priced prostitute
*Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel: Olympian Suzy Favor Hamilton admits she worked as escort
*Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Profile On Hamilton In July Where She Talked About Battling Depression
Suzy Favor Hamilton TV Report In Chicago
US Collegiate Athletes Of The Year Are Announced
The Bowerman: LSU's Kimberly Duncan And S. Utah's Cam Levins Win The 5k and 10k champ Levins won on the men's side over the 100 and 110H champ, but there was even more intrigue on the women's side. Duncan had an incredible season as
she won two individual NCAA crowns in the 200, was runner-up in the 100 and was on LSU's winning 4 x 100 and runner-up 4 x 400 teams, but one LRC visitor at a minimum is irate that Arizona's Brigetta Barrett didn't win. How do you top being being undefeated for the collegiate season and then winning an Olympic silver?
*MB: So an undefeated collegiate woman who won an Olympic silver medal isn't the NCAA track AOY - a non Olympian is?
The BBC Interviews Alberto Salazar & He Doesn't Hold Back In His Assessment Of Mo Farah's Place In History
- Salazar: Mo Farah Completed Toughest Olympic Double In History "Mo Farah's double gold at London 2012 was the greatest distance running achievement in history, according to his coach Alberto Salazar."
- BBC: Salazar Compares Mo To Other Double Olympic Champs - "He's surpassed them by far."
- Salazar: "I knew Mo and Galen were ready when they wanted to play Fifa Soccer instead of go to their last track workout."
- Listen Here: BBC Interviews US "Super Coaches" Dan Pfaff & Alberto Salazar For 2 Hours LRC has always said John Kellogg and Pfaff are the only two people we know who are geniuses when it comes to track and field. We think Salazar's quotes come from this piece.
A MUST Read - One Of The Greatest Races Ever Run - The US Women's Version Of The Billy Mills 10,000 Win
RWorld Reintroduces The World To Debbie Heald, Who 40 Years Ago Incredibly Ran The US HS Indoor Mile Record Of 4:38.5 Steve Friedman's piece on Heald is moving to say the least. Heald, whose father had committed suicide,
who had been molested and who was always battling injury (13 different running-related surgeries), somehow
at the US vs. USSR meet at age 16 in 1972 beat the greatest runners in the world, including the indoor 1,500 record holder and that year's eventual Olympic 1,500 champion, by running an a 8.5-second PR of 4:38.5. She came from way back to win thanks to a ferocious kick and she was known for having no kick. Her life since then has been full of struggles with schizophrenia but her HS indoor record still stands.
MB: Debbie Heald article in RW
Heald's Incredible 1972 Race
More On Heald:
*2002 LA Times Feature
*1972 Sports Illustrated
*1967 Faces In The Crowd At Age 11
From The MB:
*16-year-old Debbie Heald takes down the Russians, sets AR in 1972
*No Wikipedia entry for Debbie Heald ...
*1972 USA vs. USSR: 16-year-old wins the women's mile in a national record. (still standing)
*1972 Video Of Debbie Heald
Sad News: Two-Time Foot Locker Finalist Arrested For Murder Eric Kweder, who has popped up in a number of threads over the years, was 9th in 1995 as an 11th grader - one spot ahead of eventual Olympian Jonathan Riley.
Foot Locker Finals *Results *Boys Photo Gallery *Legends Pre-Race Photo Gallery
Boys: Edward Cheserek Repeats After Battle With Sean McGorty McGorty, the South champ, and Jake Leingang, the Midwest champ, didn't make it easy for Cheserek, but there is a reason Cheserek
doesn't lose - he's
the best in the US high school ranks. The four Regional winners went 1-2-3-4. *Results *Milesplit Recap *Edward Cheserek Interview
Girls: Anna Rohrer Overcomes Fall To Win Rohrer pulled away for the win after falling after the start. Her Midwest teammates dominated the race with 6 in the top 10. Catarina Rocha of the Northeast was the runner-up, with both runner-ups having a least one Foot Locker finalist parent. *Results *Steve U's Recap *Anna Rohrer Interview
*OTB: Sarah Baxter 2016 Olympics? *wow footlocker, get your cameras fixed. learn how to cover a national race *Has Foot Locker gone too far?
Kenenisa Bekele Finishes His Track
Kenenisa Bekele Builds His Own Track/Runner's Paradise In Ethiopia And Hotel For Athletes Wishing To Use It It is in an area with 20 miles of forest trails in the mountains as well as flat woods right behind the hotel. He says he spent $1.5 million on the track, which currently has 6 lanes, but he plans on adding 2 more and adding seating so they can host elite track meets.
The Week That Was - Dec. 31 - Jan 6.
LRC 'Eccentric' Runners, 'The Future' of Ethiopian Distance Running, Overcoming A Mid-Race Tackle, + D3 Football This week we start off with three things that should prove to you that runners are officially
weird eccentric as we try to make a flotrack video go viral. We then introduce you
to “the future of Ethiopian distance running” before
introducing you to Edwan Rotich – who got tackled mid-race and still won $25,000 + a car last week. Plus our hatred for Lance Armstrong continues and we wonder if Ashton Eaton would be nothing more than a D3 football star had he stuck with the gridiron.
Assorted US News
- Good Competitor Q&A With Meb Keflezighi Talking About Boston And His Running Plans As He's Getting Older "It’s the one thing missing on my résumé. And my goal is not just to run Boston, but to win Boston."
- Dathan Ritenhein Most Tested US Runner In First Part Of 2012 He was drug tested 17 times in the first nine months of 2012.
- Bobby Mack Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For Winning Great Edinburgh XC Meet
- Relay Fight At The Armory Makes UK Headlines
*MB: Fight at the Armory - Track Meet Excitement, Finally
- The Wood Report's NCAA 800m Preview Says If NCAAs Were Run Today, Oregon's Elijah Greer Would Take It
- Isn't That The Point? Injured 'Mud Runners' sue, Saying The Course Was Dangerous
- Canadian Miler Nate Brannen Dropped By Saucony After Best Season Of His Career Brannen missed out on the final in London when he was tripped just after halfway in.
- Usain Bolt And Jessica Ennis Top Track Twitter Charts With The Most Followers Mo Farah, Lolo Jones and Oscar Pistorious are 3-5.
- Usain Bolt After Winning JAAA Golden Cleats Award: "It doesn't really get any better than this." "You're double Olympic champion, World record holder, broken every World record possible, I've won every title there is to win, so for me, it's just about trying to add on, trying to do more."
- British Policewoman With 3:55 Marathon PR Runs Down 24-Year Old Male, Forcing Him To Give Up Breathless After A Half Mile "He was quick but he burnt out quickly because he didn't have the stamina. He gave up but I didn't."
- Seb Coe Talks To Athletics Weekly About His Autobiography And His Life Since London 2012
- Canadian Cancer Society Teams Up With Running Store To Encourage People To Quit Smoking By Starting Running "Early research studies have also shown that physical activity, such as running can help about 25% of smokers to successfully quit compared with only 4% who try quitting cold turkey."
- Long Skype Interview With Australian Miler Craig Huffer Who Was 4th At NYRR's Fifth Avenue Mile In 3:53.5
- Jessica Ennis' Coach Slams Demolition Plans Of Her Sheffield Stadium
Video: Kenyan Runner Edwin Kipsang Rotich Was Attacked During Brazil's New Year's Eve Kings Run 10k, But Still Went On To Win Police said the attacker has a history of mental problems and doing stunts like this. Rotich was unfazed at the finish as he didn't even mention the attack in his post-race interview. *Longer Video
US Pro And Collegiate News: Clemson Head Coach Resigns
- Lawrence Johnson Resigns As Clemson University Head Coach Flotrack reported that there were unofficial rumors saying it may be due to a compliance issue.
- Recommended Watch: Very Well Done Documentary On Ryan Vail On The Life Of A Professional Runner "This is my job. It's not about, 'I don't feel like running today' because everyone doesn't feel like going to work today. So I just say, 'This is better than a 9 to 5. Get out there and do your work today. This is going to work. Just get out there and do it.'"
- MB: Robby Andrews coaching at Princeton
- David Torrence Talks About Trying To Develop His Sprint Speed In 2013 This winter, he and his teammates attended a speed camp in Florida for 3 weeks.
- Sanya Richards-Ross Talks About Beijing Disappointment, London Glory, And Trying To Break Her Own AR In 2013 Speaking on her 2008 bronze she says, "Man, every time I reflect on that time and talk about it I realise that it still kind of carries a little bit of sadness for me. Sometimes I talk about it and I still cry about it, but it was a very, very, very difficult time for me."
- Good Read: IAAF Profile On Canada's (And Indiana University's) HJ Bronze Medalist Derek Drouin, Who Only A Year Ago Was Just Getting Off Crutches From Foot Surgery He offers some unique injury advice saying, "I would never recommend looking up your injury online. That's probably the biggest mistake I made."
- Pre-Season Preview Of D1 NCAA Track: Arkansas Men, Clemson Women At The Top Of The Projections
Marathon News: Houston Is This Sunday
- Amy Hastings Making Move To Providence Permanently To Train With Kim Smith And Molly Huddle And Be Coached By Ray Treacy She tells an interesting story on her experience dropping out of the Yokohama Marathon in November as she stopped and started running again many times, eventually realizing she had to run back to the hotel anyway.
- Houston On Sunday: A Solid American Field Actually Organized Their Own Rabbit To Take Them Through 2:12 Pace Includes quotes from the top Americans, including Fernando Cabada and Sergio Reyes, on their thoughts going into the race.
- That's A Lot Of Turns: 2:44 Olympic Trials Marathoner Nichole Porath Sets WR For Indoor Marathon At 2:57:34 She broke the previous record of 3:08:53.
- Jo Pavey's Husband And Coach Says Her Focus Will Be On The Track In 2013 "If Jo wants to go on until the next Olympics in 2016 then she can’t afford to run too many marathons. If she ran two a year that would be a total of 10 before Rio, which could be too much. So in 2013 we will do the same as this year and look to have a good track season."
Weekend Action - 2013 BUPA XC Was Saturday *Full Results *Discuss *Start Lists *Race Website
- Men's 8km: LRC American Bobby Mack Wins The Men's 8km Race At The 2013 Bupa Great Edinburgh Cross-Country Tom Humphries made a "pretty honorable" break for a solo victory, but
Spain's 13:17 man and last year's champ Ayad Lamdassem reeled in him with just over 200
meters to go before Mack turned the tables on Lamdassem and got the win in a thrilling race. *MB: Discuss
*Recap Of Whole Meet: Dibaba Over Defar Dibaba over Defar has happened in the past, but this time it was younger sister Genzebe Dibaba who defeated Meseret Defar in the women's 3k. In the women's 6k, Fionnuala Britton won as American Mattie Suver was 3rd. *IAAF Recap
- Irish Top XC Runner Fionnuala Britton Says She Was Embarassed She Fell On Her "Arse" During Bupa Great Edinburgh XC Race Since It Was On Live TV She still managed to win by 16 seconds.
- Ireland's Fionnuala Britton Wins Again And Leads Europe To The Team Title
*Britton Won $8,000 For Her First Place Finish
- EA Recap With Team Score Breakdown US senior men won their team race, but in the overall composite (and the women's senior race), the US was last behind Europe and GB.
- UK's Steph Twell Finishes 13th In Team Race After Coming Back From Long Bout Of Injuries
- Videos: Men's 8k Race *Women's 6k *Women's International 3k *Interview With Bobby Mack *Interview With 2nd American Jacob Riley
Good Read: CNN Piece On Tirunesh Dibaba, Who Says Her Main Focus In The Coming Years Will Be On The Marathon "I want to do something special, that is historic and unforgettable. Especially in the Olympic marathon, I want to compete there. I believe that is what is left for me to achieve."
Lots Of New Year's Day Action:
US: Delilah DiCrescenzo And Christian Thompson Win 2013 Emerald Nuts Midnight Run In Central Park The former CU Buff Thompson edged Tim Ritchie while DiCrescenzo
dominated. *MB: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results
*Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Video
Worldwide: LRC Other End-Of-Year / New Year's Day Action Of Note That No One Wrote An Article About (Kogo, Soi, Lalli, Kipsiro, Etc.)
Angola: 59:47 Half Man Atsedu Tsegay (28:17) & Olympic Marathon Silver Medalist Priscah Jeptoo (32:31) Win 57th Sao Silvestre de Luanda Race In Front Of More Than A Million Spectators The race offers $145,000 in prize money and the men's title went to the guy we talked about recently in the WTW. The weather was HOT (86/30 WITH 72% humidity).
Spain: Tariku Bekele (28:29) And Gelete Burka (30:59) Dominate 48th San Silvestre Vallecana The women's race was expected to be a battle between Burka and Linet Masai but Masai was WAY back in 2nd in 32:13.
*Article On Race Translated From Spanish
Japan: After Slow Start, Konica Minolta Comfortably Beats Toyota Kyushu To Win 1st Title Since 2008 At Japan's New Year's Corporate Ekiden *IAAF Recap
*Nittai University Wins First Hakone Ekiden Title In 30 Years
*Hakone Ekiden Day 1 Recap *Full Results
Brazil: Kenya's Edwin Kipsang Rotich (44:05) And Maurine Jelagat Kipchumba (51:42) Win São Silvestre 15km In São Paulo
Italy: Imane Merga (29:12) Barely Wins As Syliva (16:21) Kibet 3-Peats At Boclassic Sylverlauf In Bolzano American Scott Bauhs was 5th in 29:32 just behind Sergiy Lebid.
Austria: Leonard Komon Shatters Course Record In Peuerbach New Year's Eve Run Komon, the 10k road WR holder, edged junior 10k bronze medallist and 26:55 guy Geoffrey Kirui. In the women's race, European junior XC champ Amela Terzic edged 2:19 marathoner Irina Mikitenko.
Random US News: Lauren Fleshman Responds To You
- Lauren Fleshman Responds To LRC MB Posters: "Why I'm No Longer With Nike" Fleshman responds directly to LRC message board posters who came up with "several interesting speculations" as to why and how she left Nike.
- Watch Out, Usain Bolt? Minnesota Vikings Running Back Adrian Peterson Says He Wants To Qualify For The 2016 Olympics In The 200 Or 400 And Thinks He Could Beat Usain Bolt Peterson: "I know a lot of people laugh and be like 'come on, let's be real with yourself.' It's Usain Bolt, but I feel like you can accomplish anything you put your mind to." Well, according to Wikipedia, Peterson ran a wind-aided 10.33 in high school.
- 2011 World HJ Champ Jesse Williams Almost Ended Up Competing For New Zealand Instead Of The United States His parents were NZ-born. Williams said, "I was thinking about competing for New Zealand for a little while. It was in 2005 when I was trying to get the A standard. It was in the back of my head and I said to myself, if I don't get the A standard, maybe I should try and compete for New Zealand. It would be easier making the team."
The Christmas Holiday Wasn't Real Kind To Mo Farah
- Mo Farah Gets Detained By US Customs Officials For Terrorism Questioning, So He Shows Them Gold Medals To No Avail "I couldn't believe it. Because of my Somali origin I get detained every time I come through US Customs. This time I even got my medals out to show who I am, but they wouldn't have it." *MB: Mo Farah - a terrorist?
- Muslim Mo Farah Gets Asked On Radio Twice About His Christmas Celebrations
- MB: Mo Farah only runs 12.9 for 100m time on BBC Superstars Show That's barely 52 seconds for a 400 for a guy who closes races almost that fast.
- Mo Farah Is Disappointed He Didn't Get Knighthood Like Bradley Wiggins If we were the Brits, having learned from the Lance Armstrong case, we wouldn't touch knighthood for any endurance athletes like Wiggins until 10 years after their careers were over.
- On The Bright Side: Mo Farah "Blown Away" After Being Made CBE
Ridiculous Claim: 37-Year-Old 2:14 Marathoner Luke Kipkosgei Says He Would Have Won Olympic Gold Had He Not Been Injured Kipkosgei, who did win a world indoor 3k bronze in 2003, is hoping to run the Moscow WCs. Good luck with that.
- David Rudisha Named TFN's Athlete Of The Year For 3rd Straight Year - Joins Carl Lewis As Only Athlete With 3 Straight Wins Ashton Eaton got more 1st place votes but didn't get his WR in the Olympics. We might have given it to Aries Merritt, who won indoor and outdoor gold and absolutely obliterated the world record.
*MB: The Case For Aries Merritt Being 2012 Track and Field's Athlete of the Year
- TFN Releases Its Men's Top 10 World Rankings The rankings are bound to be controversial. Olympic silver medallist Leo Manzano is only #9, for example. As a result, we thought it would be good to discuss some of the selections. Maybe we'll pick two more tomorrow.
*MB: Discussion: Track & Field News' 2012 World Steeple Rankings: Kemboi #3? (Kipsiele Koech #1) Jager Nabs #10
*MB: Discussion: Track & Field News' 2012 World 1,500 Rankings: Kiplagat #1, Makhloufi #4, Centro #5, Manzano #9
Christmas/End Of The Year News
- EatRunSwag Funny Running Christmas Carols We're particularly fond of "Ruppdolph the Face Masked Runner."
- Running Parody On "'Twas The Night Before Christmas"
- Video: The Weirdest World Record Of 2012? The Juggling Triathlon
Patrick Makau Reveals That He Ran Frankfurt Instead Of Berlin This Year Because Race Organizers Weren't Willing To Pay Him Enough Makau: "For someone to attempt a world record is not easy. Last year, I used a lot of effort to make the world record but in this case, we could not agree with them on what I was to get."
- Mo Farah Will Train On Christmas Day - Will You?
- Bolt Wishes Fans Merry Xmas Via Twitter
- Did You Know? 1908 Olympic Gold Medallist In Pole Vault, Who Invented 1st Toy Widely Advertised In Media, Saved Xmas In 1917 By Continuing Toy Production During War
- Non-Cheerful News: Sorry Guys, Hannah England Is Engaged
Oregon Thought He Didn't Recruit Distance Studs - Others Thought He Only Got Them To Transfer
Who Says Martin Smith Can't Recruit Distance Runners? 4:02 HS Miler J. Burcham Commits To Oklahoma Burcham is a beast who ran 4:33 in 8th grade.
Sunday Results: Both Euro XC Champs Lose And Show The Best Europeans Are Still Not As Good As Mid-Level Africans
- World Junior Steeple Silver Medalist Gilbert Kirui Wins IRIS Lotto Crosscup In Burssels Over Good Field As Euro XC Champ Andrea Lalli Was Back In 7th Ethiopia's World Junior Championships 5,000 silver medallist Ruti Aga took the women's race after a battle with Ireland's 2011 and 2012 European champion Fionnuala Britton.
*Athletics Weekly: Silver For Britton In Belgium
*Irish paper: Britton Gets Silver In Brussels For Xmas
- World Junior 5,000 Record Holder Hagos Gebrhiwet & Berlin Marathon Champ Aberu Kebede Were The Winners At Yesterday's Great Ethiopian Run 10k Gebrhiwet ran 28:37 and Kebede 33:27 in the race founded by Haile Gebrselassie back in 2001.
- Yukiko Akaba Defends Her Title At The Sanyo Ladies Road Race Half Marathon In 1:09:56 The 33-year old became the oldest Japanese to break 70 for 13.1
Justin Gatlin Says He Still Hasn't Given Up On Beating Usain Bolt "I've got world champion blood in me. It's not about times but about running to the line, being the first across it. ... I've got the Gatlin guns to throw at the Lightning Bolt and the Beast (Yohan Blake) and Tyson Gay."
Kenyan News: Peter Mateelong Wins And Asbel Kiprop Is Healthy Again *Photos
- Peter Mateelong Wins KCB/Athletics Kenya National Cross-Country Series Meet Over 7-Time World XC Veteran Hosea Mwok Macharinyang Asbel Kiprop rabbitted the first 5k as 2011 African XC champ John Mwangangi was 4th. African 5,000/10,000 Champ Glady Cherono won the senior women's race over Chicago Marathon 3rd placer Lucy Kabuu and in the junior women's race, there was a huge upset, as World Junior XC gold medallist Faith Chepngetich Kipyegon was 5th as World Junior 3,000m champ Mercy Chebwogen won. *2nd Article focusing on some of the other top runners who lost. *Photos
- RunBlogRun Post On Why Kenyan Elites Are Starting To Move Away From Group Training Camps LetsRun has always said that Athletics Kenya always forcing their athletes to go to controlled training camps in the weeks ahead of major championships is a horrible idea.
- Toni Reavis Jokes That According To The Stats, The Marathon Could Be Considered For Elimination From The Olympics The IOC says Olympic sports should be "widely practiced around the world" and outside of Kenya and Ethiopia, only nine other nations have runners with times in the top 100 for 2012 (and those nations have only 1 or 2).
- Former Steeple World Champ Brimin Kipruto Looking Forward To Taking Back His Title At Moscow 2013 This will be his fourth World Championships appearance, with his first back in 2005.
- Prize Money For July Nairobi Marathon Winners Still Unpaid
Spikes Magazine: "The Rise Of The Jager Meister" Jager says he got his start in soccer where he "used to run the entire game without needing a sub and I usually did it faster than everyone else too."
Stop Complaining: NYC Marathon Announced Cancellation Policy And You Can Get A Refund Get a refund or pay again for next year and run next year (while paying for this year as well).
On The Boards: NYC Marathon Resolution
*WSJ: NYRR Reach Multi-Million Dollar Settlment With Insurance Company After Cancellation Of NYC Marathon
New Year's: World XC Champ Imane Merga Will Take On Olympic 5,000m Bronze Medalist Thomas Longosiwa In New Year's Eve 10k Race In Bolzano, Italy Scott Bauhs is also in the field as two-time World 5,000m silver medallist Sylvia Kibet headlines women's 5k.
Good Read: Brett Larner Explains "How I Learned To Love The Ekiden And Why You Should Too" "When you put on that soaking wet, stinking piece of cloth and your own sweat mingles with it there is a physical bond formed between your life and theirs, your own years of work becoming part of something bigger, and others are waiting to join you. Giving anything less than your best is not sacrificing your gift, it is sacrificing everybody else's gifts."
Sports Science: Viagra Improves Performance In More Ways Than One
Athletics Illustrated Q&A With Steve Magness Apparently Viagra when combined with high altitude training has the potential to improve athletic performance.
- WSJ Continues Its Campaign To Discourage People From Exercising: Study Says Playing A Round Of Golf Is Just As Beneficial As A 100-Mile Bike Ride For Aiding Longevity We stopped reading after the second paragraph, when we saw the study is based on data taken from Olympian mortality records between 1896 and 1936.
- On The Other Hand ... Study Finds Olympic Medalists Live On Average 2.8 Years Longer Than Average Population This study looked at Olympic athletes between 1896 and 2010.
US News: Adam Nelson On His Way To Becoming An Olympic Champion
- Good News: 4 Throwers From 2004 Athens Olympics Officially Stripped Of Their Medals After Doping Retests *2nd Article
- Which Means ... Q&A With Adam Nelson, Who Stands To Be Upgraded To Gold After Official IOC Announcement Stripping Yuriy Bilonog Of His Medal "To be honest, it feels really strange and it's a weird feeling. I've heard the rumors before and have not given the rumors much credit until an official ruling. Now that it's happened I'm excited. It is all just sinking in. You know, I feel I excited as I did to not lose that event [in 2004]; I was second on a tie-breaker. I feel good that I will always be the person who threw farthest on that day."
Lolo Jones Has Survived Her First Bobsled Crash And she even jokes about it: "God is real. I saw him today and he said come back later."
Track And Field's Male Fans Are Thankful For This
Fit Again & Recovered From Achilles Surgery & Bacterial Infection, Blanka Vlasic Is Ready To Compete Again
The Running Event Is In The Books *Photos
LRC The 2012 Running Event Is In The Books: Five Takeaways On The Industry Shark Tank's Daymond John Speaks The trade show for specialty running shops was last week in Austin, Texas and LRC's Wejo was there plus Ryan Hall,
Meb Keflezighi, and most of Saucony's top athletes. The running industry should be renamed the "how to not get injured" industry. Some take-aways from the convention.
*Press Release: The Running Event 2012 Attracts 2,100 To Austin
- Former Drug Cheat David Millar Fears Armstrong Oprah Interview Witll Be "Statge-Managed" Millar said: "Only Lance would get to have his moment of truth, if that’s what it will be, in front of Oprah Winfrey. It is not sitting in front of a judge or a disciplinary hearing being properly questioned about the things he has done wrong. I doubt very much it will be a proper interrogation."
- Oprah Spokesperson Says “Armstrong has no editorial control and no question is off-limits." Also he's not getting paid.
- Good Read: Writer Hopes That Oprah's Armstrong Interview Will Be An Actual Truth Telling And Not Full Of "Evasions And Self-Pity" The Past One With Marion Jones This is his last chance to come clean.
- Founder Of Pressure Group "Change Cycling Now": "Hey Lance, If You're Going To Confess You Better Do It Right" To Lance: "This really is the once-only lifetime opportunity. Confession is not about Lance Armstrong anymore, it's about everything and everyone else."
- The Guaridan: Lance Armstrong Interview: 10 questions Oprah Winfrey Should Ask
*And 10 Questions She Probably Will Ask
- British Cycling President Urges Lancce Armstrong To "Turn Whistleblower" And "Name Names"
2013 Boston - The Americans Will Be There
BAA: Meb, Ryan Hall And Abdi Added To 2013 Boston Field - A Slew Of Americans Will Take On The World At The 2013 Boston Marathon Shalane and Kara were already
announced, so all five of the healthy US Olympians from 2012 will be there. Lots of other Americans will be there as well. The international elite field will be announced mid-Feb.
RRW: The Three 2012 US Men's Olympians - Meb, Ryan Hall And Abdi Abdirahman - Will Race The 2013 Boston Marathon
*MB: Hall, Meb and Abdi to run 2013 Boston Marathon
Lance Armstrong Going On Oprah
- Tell-All Interview?
Lance Armstrong Will Go On Oprah To Discus Doping Scandal In His First Interview Since USADA's Report/Lifetime Ban The 90-minute interview will air on OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network at 9:00 p.m.
ET on Thursday, Jan. 17 on and will stream live at Oprah.com.
*Oprah.com Press Release The interview will be conducted in Armstrong's home in Texas.
- Travis Tygart Says That Lance Armstrong Once Tried To Donate Around $250,000 To USADA Lance's lawyer says it never happened.
After Resignation, Bev Kearney Lashes Out, Goes On CNN Seeking Justice & Hints At Lawsuit
Conspiracy Theory Or Crazy Enough To Be True? Bev Kearney's Lawyer Suggests That Her Affair Was Exposed In Order To Block Her Pay Raise "We can't say what evidence there is of that. But we can say it seems remarkable, let's say coincidental, the exact timing this report came out of the blue [was] when the athletic council was recommending that Bev be promoted, and offered a raise."
Texas Coach And USATFCCCA Half Of Famer Bev Kearney Resigns
- University Of Texas Head Women's Track Coach Bev Kearney Resigns After Admitting She Had An Intimate Relationship With A Student-Athlete Back In 2002 "You destroy yourself. You start questioning how could you make such a judgment," she said. "How could you make such an error after all the years? You can get consumed (by it) ... I didn't commit a crime, but I displayed poor judgment."
- AP Article On Bev Kearney's Resignation
Will He Confess? WP Say They Also Have A Source Confirming Armstrong Went To USADA To Talk About Confessing But Claim Talks Have Stalled Now "The dialogue that was launched and has since halted appears to be part of a three-way chess match among Armstrong; USADA."
Lance Armstrong Might Confess?
- WADA Director Says He Has Not Been Approached By Lance Armstrong About Confessing
- Another NY Times Article Speculating On A Possible Armstrong Confession They hypothesize USADA might lift Armstrong's lifetime ban if he confesses and provides information on how he successfully avoided testing positive for so long.
- NY Times Article Says Lance Armstrong Is Considering Confessing And Has Even Met With USADA Head Travis Tygart The rumor is he wants to make a deal so he can still compete and not face legal consequences for lying under oath during his trial.
*Even Now, Armstrong Still Not Without His Defenders
LRC Aussie 1,500 Record Holder Ryan Gregson Enters 2013 Having "Never Been This Aerobically Fit Before" The man who ran 3:31-flat two years ago as a 20-year-old is feeling good after a high altitude training stint in Fall Creek.
LRC Predictions For 2013 - Bolt & RudishaAre Done? The Muslim Mo Farah's 1st Xmas, The Case For Aries Merritt For AOY & Paralympic Whining We kick off the New Year by wondering if Aries Merritt should have been Athlete of the Year before wondering if 2013 will be the beginning of the end for both of the men who dominated 2012 - Usain Bolt and David Rudisha. We then dare to tell you that in reality, the Paralympics and wheelchair racing are over-publicized (not under-publicized as many claim) and tell you about the most insensitive interview ever involving Mo Farah. Plus crazy races in Alaska and yet another gratuitous slam of Lance Armstrong.
2013 World Champs Standards
- IAAF Releases New World Championships Standards For Moscow 2013 Some standards got tougher, such as the men's 5,000 going to 13:15 from 13:20, while others got easier, such as the women's 5,000 going from 15:14 to 15:18.
*Full IAAF World Champs Standards And Qualifying Rules Document
A Review Of Duncan Larkin's "Run Simple"
LRC Review By A LRCer Of Duncan Larkin's Book, "Run Simple: A Minimalist Approach To Fitness And Well Being" Has running become too complicated and gotten away from it's blue collar roots? Larkin seems to think so and gives advice to try and make things simpler.
Seb Coe News
- Former 1:44 800 Runner Ikem Billy Says He Was Paid $10,000 To Throw Race To Seb Coe In 1989 *MB: Was the Ovett-Coe era manipulated by Andy Norman?
- Lord Seb Coe Says There Is "Quite A High Correlation" Between People Who Spend Their Time Texting Or Tweeting And Under-Performance On The Field
Last Week's Weekly Recap
LRC Biomechanics Are The Key? 2012 The Year Of The 800? Mo Farah The GOAT? SFH > Galen Rupp & Leo? Usain Bolt's Love Life, Wisdom From Pfaff & Salazar, And More This week we spend a lot of time wondering, "Was Mo Farah's double win really by far the greatest Olympic distance double" as Alberto Salazar claimed? (No). We also wonder if biomechanics are the key to success in T&F, wonder if this was the greatest year ever in the men's 800, compare the amount of pub generated by Suzy Favor Hamilton as compared to Galen Rupp, give you great coaching insight from Dan Pfaff (and Salazar), tell you how some coaches are never satisfied, and remind you to yawn before your next race. Plus Usain Bolt's ex-girlfriend kisses and tells, and why the best thing about altitude training may have nothing to do with altitude.
D-Day For Lance Armstrong
- D-Day For Lance Armstrong Came And Went As Yesterday Was His Last Chance To Appeal His Ban To CAS
- Tyler Hamilton: "You hear very little from Lance, but I think this will not be a permanent state. I fear Lance will hit back." "I think he is suffering a lot. He is a very proud person and thinks that - like Atlas - he can carry the whole world on his shoulders. Now everything is gone, the honour and the glory. I think it will tear him apart that he is no longer a hero."
Japan's Top Collegiate Runner Joins Salazar And The Oregon Project
Japan's #1 Male Collegiate Runner Suguru Osako (13:31 5k, 27:56 10k, 1:01:47 Half) Will Be Joining Alberto Salazar And The Oregon Project He'll be running for the corporate Nissin Shokuhin team following his graduation in 2014, but live in Oregon and train under Salazar for the OP.
Run, Recover, Run More
LRC Runners Recover Better And Hopefully Stay Injury Free With These Two Products From The 2012 Running Event Wejo talks about some of the injury prevention products he saw at the The Running Event, which include better methods for massage, icing, and compression.
Meb And The Mental Side Of Running
LRC Meb Keflezighi Talks About Getting His Start In Running, The Mental/Physical Breakdown Of The Sport Meb: "I really believe during preparation it's 90% physical, 10% mental. When the gun goes off it's 90% mental and 10% being healthy."
Christmas Has Us Emotional - Is The Meaning Of Life Love?
Read This Article & Then Watch This Video
Dubai Marathon Is January 25th
- IAAF Looks Ahead To Dubai: 2:03:06 Man Moses Mosop Battle Martin Lel And Yemane Tsegay Mosop lost to Tsegay at Rotterdam last year when Tsegay ran 2:04:48. Ethiopia's 2012 Dubai champ Ayele Abshero (2:04:23) is out with an injury, but Dubai will also host the marathon debuts of 4 sub-60 minute half marathoners.
- Women's Race: 2011 & 2012 Winner Asselefech Has Pulled Out With Injury, So Paris Champ Tirfi Tsegay (2:21:19) Will Be The Favorite She'll be up against Toronoto Marathon Champ Koren Jelela (2:22:43).
Maggie Vessey Tests Positive And Gets A Warning
Maggie Vessey Tests Positive For Diuretic And Accepts Public Warning
The American 800m star was taking a prescription medicine that had a banned substance. She won't have to serve a suspension of any kind.
On The Boards: Maggie Vessey tests positive
The Week That Was In Running: December 10 - December 16, 2012
LRC Jenny Simpson's About Face, Sally Jenkins' Embarrassing Defense Of Lance, Fast Rugby Players, A Mea Culpa And More Not a lot happened last week on the track but there is A TON to talk about. We break down world champion Jenny Simpson's about face and return to Mark Wetmore by comparing her positively to Charles Barkely and Dan Marino, but remind people that a return home didn't resurrect the career of Jeremy Wariner. We absolutely rip Sally Jenkins for defending Lance Armstrong and for using the "rape card" to support her argument as we compare Lance to Bernie Madoff. Along the way, we tell you why legalized PED use = the end of women's sports and introduce you to the fastest rugby player in the world. Plus we fess up to a rare, rare mistake.
TodaysMiles.com Launches On LetsRun.com
Today's Miles Launches The running world has got 3.1*, 13.1 and 26.2 stickers. Todaymiles.com takes that concept to running apparel. Want to celebrate that 26.2 you did? Do it. Want to run 20 minutes and wear a 20 mile shirt? You can do that, too. More info here.
Wetmore-Simpson Round II
LRC Jenny Simpson Coaching Switch Update Former CU Buff Stephen Kasica has some details on Simpson training in Boulder last week. Plus there is a cool multimedia timeline on Simpson's career and some perspective. Simpson won Worlds under Juli Benson, yet never ran within 3.5 seconds of her 1,500m PR. Fascinating.
2012 Foot Locker Boys Photo Gallery (Updated)
2012 Foot Locker Legends Pre-Race Photo Gallery
IAAF Gala Photos: The Stars Of Track And Field Are Beautiful People
NCAA Cross Photo Galleries (Captions Now Added)
Beautiful People: NCAA Banquet Photos (Click On Photo)
Back To Top18-Yr Old Ethiopian Muktar Edris Gets The Win Over A Deep Field In Campaccio XC Race As Kim Conley Gets 4th For The Women He beat out John Kipkoech (12:49 5000) and sub-27 man Geoffrey Kirui by less than a second
as Moses Kipsiro was 4th, Leonard Komon 8th, Euro XC Champ Andrea Lalli 9th and Scott Bauhs 10th. Debele Degefa won the women's race in a
close sprint with Afera Godfay as Conley was 4th and two-time World steeplechase bronze medallist Milcah Chemos 6th.