Women's Junior Race *Team *Individual
*Kenya Goes 1-4 Led By Mercy Cherono 4 runners make up a team at World Cross and Kenya scored a perfect 10 to start the day.
*Americans Take 6th Team Slot With Emily Sisson In 18th
Men's Junior Race *Team *Individual
Another Kenyan Sweep! 10 points for Caleb Mwangangi Ndiku and Kenyans.
*Top American Trevor Dunbar In 29th
*Japanese Team Outperforms Americans
*Trevor Dunbar On Africans: "We'll catch up with them eventually. But it won't be tomorrow."
Stanford Invite *Results *Photos
*Men's Distance Video *Women's Video
Lisa Koll Runs 31:18.07 To Crush Kipyego's Collegiate Record Koll's remarkable return from a disappointing
2009 continues as her 10,000m pace would have won the top heat of the
5,000. *Koll's World Leader
*Brief Article With Quotes
More Stanford Talk On The Boards:
*D2 Jessica Pixler runs fastest 5k in the COUNTRY *Women's 5k Results
*Freshman Jordan Hasay wins Stanford 1,500 Results and discussion as Hasay runs 4:14.
*David McNeill!!! Aussie David McNeill crushed the field in a mostly solo effort, running 13:25 and closing in 2:32 for the last km. In other news, former U. Arizona star Robert Cheseret is now running for the US Army.
Props: Army's John Mickowski Wins 1,500 Over Post-Collegiates
Spring "Marathon Major" Updates
- Ryan Hall Talks With Running Times About His Faith And Running We give Hall a lot of credit as he talks sincerely about his morals and beliefs.
- WBZ Boston Catches Up With Low-Key Ryan Hall Training On Boston Course We'll see how Hall's non-existent racing schedule pays off in 3+ weeks.
- Boston Elites Robert Cheruiyot pulls out but Meb K remains only the 16th-fastest PR in the deep field.
- Virgin London Elites Biggest international superstars still heading to London.
European Road Races This Weekend
Prague HM Results: Joel Kemboi (Left) Wins By Over 1 Minute Marathoner Yemane Tsegay finished 3rd.
Holland's Lornah Kiplagat Will Return For Test Run In Domestic Race World half marathon record-holder Lornah Kiplagat will run a test run at Zandvoort while Micah Kogo returns to the Parelloop in The Netherlands, where he has run 27:01 (WR) and 27:07 for the road 10km course. Kogo ran under 27:30 for a road 10k last week. *Parelloop Website
Look Out For Eshetu Wondimu In This Weekend's Berlin Half Marathon Wondimu ran 59:53 for a half marathon several days ago despite falling halfway through the race.
Help Elect Angela Bizzarri As Sullivan Award Winner - Vote Here Sanya Richards and amputee ultramarathoner Amy Palmiero-Winters are also up for the award for the top "amateur" athlete in America. Considering Richards makes hundreds of thousands a year, she shouldn't get it.
Maybe Communism Isn't So Bad After All
Chinese Official Wants To Jail Coaches That Dope Athletes
Drug News - Cheaters vs. Testers
- WADA Looking For City To Host 4th "World Conference on Doping in Sport" WADA knows who to contact to reach people who care about drugs in the sport.
- US May Be Stripped Of 4th Olympic Relay Medal In '00 Decade They're going after the 2004 women's 4 x 400 team aided, like the other disgraced American relays, by the good folks at BALCO.
- Good News: High-Up Austrian Track Official Wants To Re-Open Doping Investigation Into 2000 Sydney 800m Olympic Medalist Stephanie Graf
News That May Interest You
- USATF Offering $220,000 In Grants To Distance Running And Other Athletics Projects
- UK's Mail Reports On IAAF Financial "Shock and Horror" IAAF is spending more money than it's taking in - trying to grow the sport while public interest is waning.
- Tyson Gay Will Race On Streets Of Manchester - But No Bolt Christine Ohuruogu and Jessica Ennis will also be out there, but Bolt will not return this year.
Surprising US Performers - World Record & World Medal
- Recommended Read: Ashton Eaton On Breaking The World Record Eaton says breaking the world record so unexpectedly could put too much pressure on his career. His coach Dan Steele says "no ego" is a key to Eaton's success.
- Brief Chat With US World Indoor Medalist Alysia Johnson Nobody expected Alysia Johnson to lead the world final, break 2:00 for the first time, and score a bronze medal for the US in Doha.
UK Athletics And Dan Pfaff Lay Down Exact Replica Of 2012 Olympic Track For Technical Event Athletes To Train On Coaching genius Dan Pfaff was hired away from the US by Charles van Commenee.
World Women Tune Up For London - Update
Will Chicago '09 champion and former track star Liliya Shobukhova again triumph over distinguished marathoners Irina Mikitenko and Deena Kastor? Will a new African star finally emerge?
Haile G To Run In First Madrid 10k In April
Britain's TV Giants Bid To Show Bolt Diamond League Races Bolt does for track what Tiger Woods does (and will continue to do?) for golf television ratings.
*Tiger's Masters Return Will Shatter Ratings Records Business Week
Thursday Track News
- Liu Xiang Hoping For A Medal In 2012 But Says "It would be great just to get to the final."
- LJ van Zyl's 49.45 Hurdle Run Highlights South African Wednesday Meet
- Wednesday's Top Meet : Elementary School Meet Streamed Live On The Net
- Allyson Felix Blogs About Setting American 4 x 400 Record At World Indoors
- Prague Half Marathon Preview
LRC The Week That Was We take a brief break from celebrating Cornell's ride to the Sweet 16 to give you an abbreviated "Spring Break Version" of our weekly recap. Along the way, we talk about Zersenay Tadese's world record, Mo Trafeh's sudden surge, Deena Kastor's fade, and wonder whether Jeff Risely owns Nick Willis. We cover all of last week except we purposely ignore the LA Marathon.
Men's Senior Race - Kenya's Wait Is Over *Team *Individual
Ebuya! Kenyans Complete Perfect Day! All 8 gold medals are going home to Nairobi as new national hero Joseph Ebuya put the exclamation point on a day of total domination for team Kenya by winning their first senior men's individual title in over a decade.
*Team Results Kenya 1, Eritrea 2, Ethiopia 3, Morocco 4, Uganda, Spain, Tanzania, Bahrain, USA 9th.
*Canada's Simon Bairu 13th Individual Top American Patrick Smyth is 36th.
Women's Senior Race *Team *Individual
Flanagan's 12th Leads Americans To Team Bronze Molly Huddle and Magdalena Lewy-Boulet came in 40 seconds after Flanagan to secure USA's only medal on the day.
*Chebet And Masai Trump Melkamu And Dibaba Top names - Linet Masai and Tirunesh Dibaba - end up 2nd and 4th as Ethiopia's best chance to stop the Kenyan surge fails.
The Greatest Race On The Planet - World XC - Is Sunday 6am-8:30a Eastern (Watch Online) *Live Results *Meet Website *How To Watch
- Live Results Looks like US senior women earn bronze team medal!
- IAAF Race Reports Kenyans dominate both junior and women's senior race - Senior men up soon.
- Full Results Shalane Flanagan 12th in the senior race, 1 minute behind surprise world senior champion Emily Chebet.
- Official LetsRun Thread
- The Mood Is Dark In Poland Only one UK journalist showed up and it looks like the meet is not going to be on TV in the UK or the US.
- IAAF Facing Financial Ruin In Four Years? That's one journalist's take on it, although some in Africa say it's a plot to get Seb Coe as head of the IAAF. Sounds like a good idea to us.
- On The Boards: Is/was this year's World XC Champs the best shot in a generation for the U.S. to win the men's individual senior title?
- North Americans Can Bet On World Cross LRC voters are taking Kenyan Champ Paul Tanui in the men's senior race.
- Flashback: Wejo In Mombasa: Controlled Chaos Read about incredible one-of-a-kind 2007 World XC Championships in Mombasa, Kenya. Tens of thousands of people packed like sardines, hanging in trees, in oppressive heat, all to see the Cross-Country Championships for the first time in Kenya. There will never be a party like this one again. See Wejo's highly-praised photos.
LRC Profile - Moses Kipsiro
LRC Moses Kipsiro And The Legacy Of John Akii-Bua Kipsiro is Uganda's top runner and was the runner-up at last year's World XC Champs. Thanks to PJ Browne, we go behind the scenes to try to put a story and a face to Kipsiro so he is not just another nameless "African runner."
IAAF Men's Preview: Wide Open Affair Last year's champ Gebre Gebremariam is back, but he'll face a slew of challengers, including Kenya's new phenom Paul Tanui (click here to see Tanui dominate the Kenyan nationals by 30 seconds), Uganda's great hope and last year's silver medallist Moses Kipsirio and others (Leonard Komen and Joseph Ebuya). Plus a Spanish dude even thinks he can win.
IAAF Women's Preview: Can 3-Time Champ Tirunesh Dibaba Hold Off Kenya's Rising Star Linet Masai? Masai came up just short last year but will be hard to beat this year. In the junior race, Dibaba's little sis will go for her third title.
Downpour And Sudden Warm Weather Make Mudfest Possible In Poland
Polish-Born Magdalena Lewy Boulet And Worlds Veteran Ryan Vail Named US Senior Captains NCAA team XC champion Ryan Vail just ran out of college eligibility but this is already his 3rd World XC Team.
More World XC News:
- Kenya After The One Title It Can't Win Any More: Senior Men's Indvidual Title When the Kenyans talk about lack of success in XC, they generally mean one thing: not winning the senior men's individual title.
- Expect African Dominance In Poland As Zero Non-African-Born Seniors Finished Top 10 Last Year Shalane Flanagan is dubbed a medal contender on the women's side, but it'll be harder than medaling at the Olympics on the track.
- Lengthy Kenyan Team Profile - Team Dreams Of Senior Men's Individual Gold, Wants To Defeat Dibaba Sisters In Women's Races
- BBC Can't Get TV Rights For World XC They're trying to promote the sport in the UK leading up to 2012 Olympics but this is a step in the wrong direction.
- Former Illegal Immigrant Alemayehu Bezabeh Wants To Bring World XC Gold To Spain
- Confident Kenyan Team Departs For Poland
Unrelated But Important/Interesting News
- Nick Willis Hurt Again And Pulls Out Of New Zealand Champs
- A Year After Running 2:04:27, James Kwambai Returning To Rotterdam Hoping To Win This Time
- Recommended Read: Geb's Impact Extends Beyond Running Unfortunately, he may not be having much of a running impact any more, as his performances have been subpar of late.
A Brief Chat With Mo Trafeh - The American Runner Everyone Is Wondering About Trafeh, the US's newest sub-61 minute half marathoner, talks about turning down coaching from Hicham El Guerrouj's coach, why he trains alone, and what he plans to do after his recent road breakthroughs.
Bitter Welsh Marathoning Prospect Quits The Sport Teenager cites criticism of his 180 mile/week training as a reason he is switching to soccer.
British Bosses - A Funny Bunch
- Dame Kelly Holmes Rails Against Athletes Skipping Commonwealths In October In Delhi
- UK Athletics Expects 99 Medals From Paralympians It's like the runner who stops at 99 miles in a week.
- Seb Coe Named 3rd Most Powerful Man In Sport By London's Times
The Rage - Barefoot Running Discussion
The Science Of Sport - Q&A On Barefoot Running Part 1 *Part 2 *Part 3 *Part 4 Almost every day, we answer questions from friends and acquaintances about the barefoot running push. Our friends at Science of Sport are hosting a lengthy discussion of the topic.
LRC Can't Miss: Training Talk #6 With Craig Virgin Two-time World Cross-Country champion and two-time American record holder Craig Virgin joined us for Training Talk #6 and talked about a wide range of subjects, including his high school and college training, his time with Nike and Athletics West, racing 3 times in 4 days during a "front-loaded" career, and Jimmy Carter and the 1980 US Olympic Boycott that cost Virgin his best shot at an Olympic medal. Virgin is a true ambassador of US distance running and one of the greatest-ever US distance runners - whether you're looking for training advice, inspiration or entertainment, his stories and opinions are a must-hear.