World's Best 10k - Sunday In San Juan
Breaking News: Ritz to run World's Best 10k on Sunday
*Elvan Abeylegesse Will Shoot For Paula Radcliffe's 30:21 Road 10k WR In San Juan This Weekend We're still awaiting word on the men's entrants, but the women's race might actually make a run at the WR with a very fit Abeylegesse, world 5k champ Viv Cheruiyot and virtually unbeatable half marathon sensation Mary Keitany. Might be the most elite women's road race of the year.
*IAAF Article With Ritz
Mardi Gras Half Marathon - Lel vs. Wanjiru - Sunday at 7am
Martin Lel Praying For Successful Return At Sunday's Mardi Gras Half Marathon
Recently injured, Martin Lel will have an excellent barometer in fellow Kenyan super-marathoner Sammy Wanjiru. The men's and women's races could both be interesting as McMillan Elite's Martin Fagan (Irish national half marathon record holder) will challenge the marathon-trained Africans and Kim Smith will challenge Berhane Adere.
*Results (coming Sunday am)
Tokyo Marathon Sunday, Fukuoka XC Saturday
Veteran Kobayashi Plans For First Sub-2:10 At Age 33 Adam Goucher might get some inspiration from this article.
4-Time Champion Catherine Ndereba Excited To Return To Boston For Try At #5 Last year, there were conflicting reports about why she didn't run Boston.
HGH Test Success May Send Shivers Through Many Athletes Many people don't know that there had never been a positive test for HGH until last week despite insiders saying it has been a widely-used drug by athletes.
LRC Stronger 2010 Boston Marathon Fields Finalized We've spent years ripping the lack of quality in the Boston fields but are actually fairly impressed for 2010. Boston is expecting more sub-2:07 guys than London this year and Meb Keflezighi has only the 17th-best PRof those expected to race.
Absolutely Great And Absolutely Atrocious NCAA Track News
Seton Hall Shock: We're Cutting Track Completely 38-year coach John Moon and his team were asked to attend a meeting where they were told Seton Hall would be cutting men's and women's track and field at the end of this season, in order to save money. "The Hall" has been known for excellent 4 x 400m and 4 x 800m teams and Moon has coached 71 All-Americans and 19 Olympians along with
coach the US Olympic track team.
*Poignant: Junior Chris Cox Is Big East Athlete Of The Week
NCAA And PAC-10 Make Gutsy Decision And Allow Oregon State Athletes To Compete At League And NCAA Championships! We applaud all involved in this situation for doing the right thing and allowing kids at a school without a program to compete at the big championship meets if they meet the qualifying marks.
*Recommended Read: Oregon State Football Players Ask School If They Can Do Track
A Good Sign: No More American Exceptionalism
USA Will Give Back 2004 Athens Olympics Women's 4 x 400 Medals
USOC CEO Scott Blackmun: "At some point you have to stand up and do the right thing - and [act] in a way you expect other nations to act. We are not going to fight it just for the sake of fighting it. We support doing the right thing."
Recommended Read: Wesley Korir Profile If you are having a bad day at work, read this and realize what life is really about.
World Indoor News
USATF, Are You Reading This?
Charles van Commenee Announces 38-Person British Squad Announced For World Indoors & Refusesd To Give A Goal Medal Count To The Media The idea of shooting for a specific medal count is ridiculous. *van Commenee Impressed By Lots Of New Faces In Endurance Events
Steve Hooker To Lead Australians At World Indoors, European LJ Champ Ksenija Balta Ready To Battle In Doha
LetsRun.com's The Week That Was In Running This week, our weekly recap of the last week of the world in running gives out praise to Jeff Demps, Deresse Mekonnen, Will Leer and Japanese coaches as we break down the Kenyan and Ethiopian XC Trials and along the way introduce you to Paul Tanui.
Dreams Do Become Reality
LRC: Riley Masters Interview: 4:06 To 3:59 In One Race
LRC catches up with the Maine sophomore who inspired the running world by going from 4:06 to 3:59 in one race. In sharing the secrets to chopping off 7 seconds from his mile PR in one race, Masters reveals that he had never broken 2:00 flat for 800 until the week before his sub-4 race.
*LRC Week That Was Featuring Riley
We're Thinking Of You
Serena Burla Knee Pain Diagnosed As Malignant Tumor - Let's Give Her Our Support Burla, a mother, recently finished 2nd at the Houston Half Marathon and is one of the top US road runners. She will undergo surgery Friday at Memorial Sloan Kettering Center in New York City.
LRC Boards: Serena Burla support
Get Your Inspiration Here
LRC Employee #1 - A Night With Joe Newton
Wandering around the country, LetsRun.com's Employee #1 infiltrated the Nike West HQ Tuesday in suburban Los Angeles to join a gathering of 300 SoCal high school track and xc coaches for a free clinic/Nike brainwashing. The centerpiece of the evening was a speech from long-time York cross country coach Joe Newton. Newton was incredible, and we try to explain why.
*Recommended Read: Another Inspirational Interview With Wesley Korir Louisville's Wesley Korir is "The L.A. man". This might be the best of the Korir articles.
*Inspiring: Hendrick Ramaala Wants To Be President Of Athletics South Africa Ramaala says the leaders of the sport should know the sport well and have time to meet and improve the sport - not just have business or political interests.
USA Indoors Sunday In Albuquerque
- LRC: USATF's Decision To Not Offer Altitude Adjustments For Performances At USA Indoors Is Raising Ire In Mid-D And Distance Circles
- Nick Symmonds Has Been Training At Altitude For 5 Weeks Symmonds says the altitude had a big effect on his training and helped him run 2:51 for the 1,200 at Washington 2 weekends ago. He'll face
Andrew Wheating(now a scratch) Khadevis Robinson in the 800m on Sunday.
- TV Coverage 7-9pm EST Sunday - ESPN2.
- Preview Of Women's Running Events
- Men: Lagat, Rupp, Solinsky To Battle In 3k, Symmonds And KD In 800m These are way better indoor USA championships than you typically see.
Major Conference Championships *All NCAA Results
Big XII (@Iowa State, Fri/Sat)
*Texas A&M Favorited on both sides, German Fernandez in 3000 after setting world junior record in mile last year at this meet.
Heps Website @Dartmouth, Sat/Sun
*Results: Men Women
Coach Rojo goes for Cornell's 13th conference track championship in 15 tries.
SEC @Arkansas, Fri/Sat/Sun
*Torrin Lawrence Ready To Lead Georgia into Arkansas
ACC @Va Tech, Fri/Sat
*Watch Live Friday
Big Tens At 2 Different Locales
*Big Ten Women @Penn State, Sat/Sun
*Big Ten Men @Minnesota, Sat/Sun
Kenyan XC Runners Head To Mandatory Pre-Worlds Camp
- Kenyan XC Runners Head To Camp - Will The New Coach Get It Right? Kenyan agents, athletes and coaches break into night sweats before every global championship as the athletes are forced by Athletics Kenya to go to a camp with a new coach who wants to fix their flaws in the final days before the meet.
- Athletics Kenya's New Camp Coach Asserts His Authority One of Kenya's best-ever runners, Paul Tergat, speaks out, saying Kenyans get close but fail in the final 500m. Surprisingly, one of the junior runners said he hopes they don't overtrain in camp.
Strange Running News - Think Before You Flip The Bird
Runner In South Africa Abducted By President's Security Forces For Giving A Middle Finger This runner got picked up by a black Beamer and had a bag put over his head while detained and questioned for 24 hours. The offense? An obscene gesture (scroll to the bottom of the article).
LRC: USATF's Decision To Not Offer Altitude Adjustments For Performances At USA Indoors Is Raising Ire In Mid-D And Distance Circles US distance runners are getting screwed by Doug Logan's refusal to take Albuquerque's 5,000-foot altitude into consideration for distance runners in the 2010 Visa Championship Series standings. We talked with Shannon Rowbury's coach John Cook about the USATF decision and got input from other top coaches/agents who also question why the Visa "Series" money goes to the individual who has the single best performance at only one meet.
LetsRun.com Readers Furthering Sports Psychology
UO Grad Student Curtis Suver Uses LetsRun Reader Surveys To Study Team Dynamics Of XC Teams Hundreds of LetsRun.com readers responded to Suver's survey back in August and September of 2009 and helped him complete research that shows a strong correlation in male distance runners between individual performance and connection with their team.
Runners Creating Inspiring Races
Recommended Read: Pat Butcher Writes About The Sahara Marathon
This Saturday: War Ravaged Congolese Women To Run A Race Organized By American Woman Avid LetsRun.com reader Michelle Hamilton alerted us from Kenya of this amazing race that will take place in the Congo. According to estimates, more than 5 million have died in wars in the Congo, the most lethal conflict since WWII.
Run For Congo Women Website
We Wonder If He'll Scream Racism On This One
Former South African Track Boss Leonard Chuene Bought A Mercerdes Benz For 12.8 Cents It may be hard to put this guy behind bars, as earlier computer files were deleted and documents shredded.
News From Britain
- Jo Pavey Is On Comeback Trail At Age 36 After Giving Birth For 1st Time & Is Eyeing A Fall Marathon Debut The woman who was 4th in the 10,000 at the 2007 Worlds said the following: "I don't think that 36 is too old to start back, I still feel young." 36 certainly doesn't feel young to the LRC co-founders Wejo and Rojo.
- Double Olympic Champ Expects New British 800m Record Holder Jenny Meadows To Keep On Succeeding
- Holmes Says Meadows Has Much Better Chance To Compete Now That The 800/1,500 Is Being Rid Of Drug Cheats Like Regina Jacobs
Hot Threads on LetsRun Today
- Ritz to run worlds best 10k on Sunday
- How in the hell did Paula Radcliffe run 2:15:25 for the marathon?
- How many elites take the time to thank race directors?
- WHICH IS MORE IMPRESSIVE? Gold medal in Olympic luge or All-American in D1 cross country?
Top Threads Yesterday On LetsRun
- SETON HALL - "THE HALL" cuts MEN'S and WOMEN'S INDOOR AND OUTDOOR TRACK
- KILLER WHALE KILLS TRAINER
- The most legit sport that ISN'T in the Olympics:
- Kornheiser suspended for THIS???
- Question for Malmo regarding "too few tempo runs"
- I delight to inform you that you do not have a right to healthcare
- Brown U situation
- More black women now looking for a good white man, according to Washington Post
- Did the Soviets THROW the 1980 Miracle on Ice game?
- Drinking Alone
Men's 1,500m From Birmingham On Saturday: Lagat vs. Mekonnen vs. Willis (Bigger Video Here)
The Next Kenyan Star?
Help Your Dreams Become Reality: LRC Training Talk - Listen To Our First Episodes