LRC The Week That Was Last week was an eventful one in the world of running as Abdi & Meb made statements that they shouldn't be forgotten in New York, Paula said she'd be in New York, and the NCAA xc action heated up in a big way as Jordan Hasay made her collegiate debut. We recap it all and along the way give you our 7 biggest winners and 5 biggest losers from the collegiate ranks.
American Races Sizzle On Sunday
Meb K Has Very Productive Day In San Jose His run in the Rock 'n' Roll Half produced a new 20k American record and 3rd-fastest half marathon in US history for the 34-year-old Olympic silver medalist. *San Jose Half Marathon Results
*Exciting Medtronic Twin Cities Races Won In The End By Veteran Abdi (10-Miler) And Youngster Ilsa Paulson (Marathon) Abdi Abdirahman had to dispose of Josh Moen, who had a great race. Ilsa Paulson trailed 45-year-old
Colleen DeReuck by over 40 seconds late in the race but rallied in the final miles to win $25,000 and prevent DeReuck from being the oldest US Marathon
in history. Jason Hartmann (left) is getting no attention for his marathon win (2:12:09) since it wasn't a US championship, but he deserves a LetsRun.com shout out for a nice win. Results.
*Team Strands' Jason Hartmann Caps Fall Season With 2:12 Medtronic Twin Cities Win Press Release
LRC Exclusive Series Continues American High School Student Travels To Addis And Trains With The Ethiopians - Entry #5 - 14:23 In this journal entry, Neb watches a young man win a sponsorship that changes his life at an Ethiopian track meet.
Athletics Administrative Bodies Getting Blasted For Incompetence
- Everybody Pile On! USOC Getting Blame For Chicago Ouster
- While We're At It, Let's Pile On The NCAA Too! NY Times Article Highlights Calls For Change In NCAA Direction As Myles Brand Passes Away
- Why Limit It To America!? From Kenya, Where They Have Arbitrary Organizations Too Article Blasts Athletics Kenya And Their Abuse Of Power
Let's Not Forget About Japan, Where They Sure Do Love The Ekiden And The Marathon
- Joan Benoit Samuelson Runs On Popular Japanese Reality TV Show
- Check Out Japan's World Half Marathon Team The World Half Marathon will be in Birmingham, ENG this coming Sunday and will feature Dathan Ritzenhein, Zersenay Tadese and Sammy Kitwara and Paula Radcliffe on the women's side.
- Part 1 - Interview With Japan Running News Editor Brett Larner We get a lot of news from Japan thanks to Brett Larner writing his own pieces and translating pieces written in the Japanese press. We love that distance running is a truly worldwide sport and Japan is definitely the epicenter of Asian distance running.
- Part 2 - Interview With Japan Running News Editor Brett Larner Larner is one man that makes a big difference by thanklessly covering the Japanese running scene for English-based fans.
Int'l Road Race Results
- Prisca Jeptoo Wins Eldoret Half Marathon - Great Photo! Jeptoo ran just under 80 minutes at 7,000' altitude on the muddy dirt roads of Eldoret.
- Evans Ruto "Finally" Lowers Cologne Marathon Record Under 2:10 With 2:08 Clocking
- Kenyan Sang Sets New Course Record In Lisbon Half Marathon 1:00:20 got the job done for Sang.
- 2:11 Wins
The WorldsEurope's Oldest Marathon In Slovakia
It's Rio, Baby!
*Chicago KO'd - Mayor Daley Says "Go On With Your Lives"
*Inspired By Rio, Haiti Makes Bid For 2216 Olympics The Onion (satire)
*Average August Temperatures In Rio - Not Too Bad! 70s and a bit humid.
*Photos Of Reactions Around The Globe Some great photos here.
*Snub For Pres. Obama? The busy Pres. spent all of five hours in Copenhagen.
"Spanning The Globe"
- Ethiopia: Terrible Tragedy In Ethiopia As Prominent Runner's Parents And Sister Are Murdered By Brother-In-Law After A Heated Dispute The killings were a murder-suicide and have shaken the area's runners.
- Europe: Marta Domínguez Wins European Athlete Of The Year Over Blanka Vlašić, While Phillips Idowu Takes It Over Thorkildsen We're surprised, especially with the women's selection.
- Australia: Article On The Rapid Rise Of Australian Milers
- Canada: Speed River Track And Field Club Adds Duck Alums Chris Winter And Dana Buchanan Clubs like Speed River are very good for the sport, so we applaud them and their sponsors for continuing to grow.
- Kenya: Kenyan Training Camp Shut Down After Coach-Athlete Relationships Uncovered
Paula Making News
- Brief Chat With One Of The Most Focused Athletes In The World - Paula Radcliffe
- Paula Radcliffe Likely Will Have Another Child Before London Olympics But before any of that, she has the World Half Marathon Champs and the ING NYC Marathon, which could be super-lucrative for her if she wins.
- Speaking Of Big Sports Earnings: Tiger Woods Becomes First Billionaire Sportsman
- Paula Radcliffe Set To Take On Mary Keitany In World Half Marathon Champs In Birmingham, ENG
Bernard Lagat Decides To Train Specifically For 3,000 And 5,000 Meter Races To Challenge Bekele Lagat, a great championship racer, is convinced he can be the best at 5,000m if he trains specifically for it. No more doubling at major championships, he says.
*Good LRC Message Board Thread: No way Lagat will beat Bekele
Beijing 2008 - London 2012 - XXXXX 2016 - The Decision Comes Friday
The Announcement Online At 10am Eastern
*Lord Coe On What China Taught London About Hosting Olympics
*Michael Phelps and Bryan Clay Endorse Chicago 2016 Over O'Hare Airport PA System While Callers Blast Tax Burden On TV News Shows We traveled on Thursday and sat in the O'Hare airport listening to passionate callers railing against the Obamas and possibly having to pay for the Olympics while Clay and Phelps ran commercial spots rooting for Chicago.
*Detailed Info On Bid Cities This page is amazingly informative. Of course, after tomorrow, nobody will care about three of the cities, as the decision will be over.
*Website Ranks Potential 2016 Marathon Courses
*They Play, We Pay! Protestors Vent In Chicago
Latest Distance Running Interviews
- Fantastic Training Interview With Marius Bakken Bakken offers the key to becoming a good distance runner: long, high-intensity, aerobic running.
- Brief Chat With Bernard Lagat
- Interview With Brett Gotcher
- A Brief Chat With Shannon Rowbury
Jon Rankin Will Run Internationally For Cayman Islands Running at the major global championships just became a whole lot easier for Rankin!
Sad News: Northern California Boy Dies After Cross-Country Race In Very Hot Weather It seems like he laid on the ground for a few minutes before bystanders noticed he was in really bad condition. Temperatures were well over 100 degrees on the day.
LRC The Week That Was What a week yet again. The off-the-track headlines dominated as we learned that running can make you smarter, Usain Bolt was or was not offered $100 million, Leonard Chuene continued to embarrass South Africa and another running-related book started to gather positive press. In terms of action, the Canadian soil marathon record fell and the milers blazed in NYC.
Zersenay Tadese Set To Run Birmingham World Half Marathon And Defend His Title Tadese is a 3-time winner of the event and you may recall pushed Kenenisa Bekele very hard in the Berlin 10,000m race on the track, where both men ran under 27:00.
Brief Chat With Nick Willis The injured Kiwi is coming back from hip surgery. He talks about his training, why Asbel Kiprop needs to rethink his tactics and why India is a great place to host the Commonwealth Games. Good read from the surprise 2008 Olympic 1,500 medalist.
Chaotic Scene In Pretoria As Meeting Of South African Athletes Lamenting Their Treatment Is Broken Up Some athletes are accusing ASA of sending drunken members to disrupt the meeting. Perhaps bigger news has been the withdrawal of funds from former sponsors of ASA, including Yellow Pages, who have pulled their money to express their dissatisfaction with ASA. Mike Hurst of The Sydney Telegraph reports.
LRC's First Men's NCAA XC Top 15 Rankings Of The Year See where Employee #1 ranks your favorite team after the first semi-important weekend of racing. Also, you can see most of the big results at our condensed Results Page.
College Cross-Country - NCAA Favorites Chelanga And Barringer Bust The Rust
- Jenny Barringer Breaks Kara Goucher's Course Record In Boulder Barringer's task in her first XC race in 22 months was to get Kara's record and she got it by 13 seconds. The Colorado men ran well as a team.
- Sam Chelanga Makes First Appearance With 24:46 Win In Low Key Meet
Weekend Race Previews And Results *LRC Results Page *Oregon Men And Women Go Down At Dellinger *Oklahoma State Beaten By DII Adams St!
*adidas Wisconsin *LRC Recap *Videos *Photos *Men's
Results *Women's Results Another upset in a wild weekend as unranked Syracuse put 4 in the top 10 to blast a quality field. Andrew Bumbalough winning was no surprise, but BYU's Cecily Lemmon got a surprise win over Illinois' Angela Bizzari and Auburn's Hollie Knight.
*The biggest upset on the day was Matt Tegenkamp, Chris Solinsky, Simon Bairu and Evan Jager falling to Cody See in the Wisconsin 5k Alumni Race.
*Jamboree: #2 Oklahoma State Finishes 4th At Home Without German Fernandez And Ryan Vail *Flotrack Video DII Adams State takes down the #2 team in D1 as NAU won a close meet without their best runner David McNeill. We've been talking all year about how Ok State is unbeatable but, like Oregon, they struggled in their first major meet as new transfer Girma Mecheso finished way back. Then again, if Ok St has their studs Fernandez and Vail, they win the meet over NCAA #5 NAU even with McNeill. The race was won by someone you've probably never heard of. Zambian Jordan Chipangama, 2008 JuCo runner of the year, has transferred from Central Arizona College and gives the Lumberjacks another big gun.
*#1 Oregon Men Beaten At Home By Alabama & BYU, Only 2 Points Ahead Of Portland Alabama won the meet with three Kenyans in the top 8 while a message board poster points out Portland's #3 man, freshman Trevor Dunbar, finished in front of Luke Puskedra. We've said all along that Oklahoma St should be ranked #1 this season and this definitely proves it.
*#2 Oregon Women Fall To Villanova, Who Put 5 In Top 8 Jordan Hasay finished 6th in a PR in her first race in the Oregon kit. That's right, 2-time Foot Locker champ Hasay ran a PR and still was only 6th, showing how much tougher college running is. She would have been the 4th runner for Villanova.
*Paul Short Women: Shippensburg's Soph. Neely Spence Takes Individual Crown
*Paul Short Men: Indiana U, Firing On All Cylinders, Takes Down Nationally Ranked Iona And NC State
*Notre Dame Results Washington flew east and stole both titles in fields chock full of ranked teams. On the women's side, the defending champs went 1-4 with a gap of 8 seconds and easily bested NCAA #6 Princeton. On the men's side, the rankings were thrown aside in a more even battle, as #22 UW took down #11 Tulsa and #15 Providence. New Mexico's Jacob Kirwa took the title by 1 second over ASU's Brandon Bethke.
Luke Puskedra The #1 Returner For #1 Ranked Ducks In "Life Without Galen Rupp" Oregon will have their first tough test of the year at Dellinger
*LRC Links To 5 Major NCAA Cross-Country Meets Happening This Friday And Saturday The NCAA cross-country season goes into full gear this weekend with at least five big meets where almost all of the nation's top teams will be competing. Bill Dellinger in Oregon, Paul Short in Lehigh, Cowboy Jamboree in Stillwater, adidas Wisconsin Invite in Madison and the Notre Dame Invitational in South Bend. Check out who is going where and get links to coverage and results.
Saucony Named Official Sponsor Of Foot Locker CC Championships Thanks to Saucony for supporting a great meet that may die out thanks to Nike CC Nationals.
Jamie Donaldson Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For Breaking 200km Record Donaldson ran 200km in barely over 21 hours.
The ING New York City Women's Field Is Officially Interesting
It's Official: Mary Wittenberg Announces Paula Radcliffe Will Run ING NYC The men's field is loaded, but the women's field was just plain dull until 3-time champ Paula Radcliffe was announced.
*Yuri Kano And Mary Wittenberg Discuss Japanese Star's New York City Marathon Plans Kano: "When I think of Radcliffe I remember watching her at last year's New York. She looked like someone from another world ... I don't know how she can do that. It was amazing. To run like that ... every moment of her life must be dedicated to the marathon."
*Full ING NYC Elite Fields Men's side is insane,
women's lacking star power. Thank goodness for Paula.
*Wow: Meb K And Asmerom Join Hall, Sell, Torres, Lehmkuhle As US Elites Entered In NYC Marathon US men will get to stack up against intl. super-studs Martin Lel, Marilson Gomes Dos Santos, Hendrick Ramaala, Jaouad Gharib, Patrick Makau, Paul Tergat and James Kwambai.
*NYRR American Elite Preview
Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Is October 11 - Elite Fields 11 days until Sam Wanjiru runs his first big race in America against a very good African field. Deena Kastor and Irina Mikitenko match their sub-2:20 PRs on the fast course.
- London Times Feature Piece On Marion Jones Looks Back At "The Best Liar In The Business"
- Kenyan News Headline: Kitwara Out To Floor Tadese Zersenay Tadese vs. Ken Bekele in the Berlin 10k was awesome. Sam Kitwara vs. Tadese in the half marathon may be even better. Previous: Zersenay Tadese Set To Run Birmingham World Half Marathon And Defend His Title
News From The Reggae Island
- Yohan Blake Eager To Get Back After Surprise Drug Ban
- Bolt On NFL: I Don't Want To Get Hit That Much God, he is smart.
- Powell Confident in Jamaica's Sprint Dominance Most dull headline ever.
Dathan Ritzenhein Reportedly Runs Faster Than US Record For 10 Miles In A Workout
*Message board thread on his run.
LRC: Check Out ALL The Photos From The 5th Avenue Mile PhotoRun.net caught photos of many of the world's top milers, who ran in one of New York's most interesting running events.
LRC Philly Distance Run Photos We are glad to see some nice photos after watching the race over the internet via the Ryan Hall-cam.
LRC Special American High School Student Travels To Addis And Trains With The Ethiopians - Entry #4 - RAB Rugby In this journal entry, Neb goes with the training group for a crazy game with no rules that can sort of be called "rugby."
Caster Semenya / Leonard Chuene Saga
Wisco Alums After Their Blazing 5k On The New Course In Madison
Celebration In Rio As They Won The 2016 Olympics
Women's And Men's 5th Avenue Mile Finishes
LRC Interview With Wisconsin Coach Mick Byrne Wondering if Wisco can contend? Get all your info on the #4 LRC-ranked team in the NCAA straight from the boss. Graduating Stuart Eagon, Matt Withrow and Christian Wagner, Wisconsin looks for some help from the best freshmen and redshirt freshmen in the country and a couple of All-American veterans. Byrne talks about his team, "the
best cross-country course in the country" (NOT in Terre Haute, but Madison) and his fundamental training advice. Enjoy.
LRC Season Preview: Young Badgers Earn #4 LRC Ranking
adidas YouTube Video Of Haile Gebrselassie - The Emperor Talks About The Importance Of Coaching
New Running Calendar For Kids Here
*Updated* Latest Photo Albums From PhotoRun.net
- LRC Check Out ALL The Photos From The 5th Avenue Mile Star-studded fields bested by Britain's Andy Baddeley and America's Shannon Rowbury.
- LRC Berlin Marathon Photos Haile G goes for it and crashes on the flat streets of Berlin.
- LRC NYC Half Marathon Photos Paula Radcliffe and Tadese Tola won on a super-humid day in NYC.
- LRC Kawasaki Meet Photos One of the last track meets of the year featured Allyson Felix and Tyson Gay.
- LRC World Athletics Final Day 2 One of the best days of track we've ever seen.
- LRC World Athletics Final Day 1
- LRC Vlašić Vs. Friedrich Photo Album Currently, the most glamorous event in the world is probably the women's high jump. These photos show the Vlašić/Friedrich battle from Berlin, as the crowd tried to spur the German to victory over the Croatian.
Recent LRC Recommended Reads
*LRC: The Week That Was Last week was quite a week, as Ryan Hall got ready for New York, the #1 and #2 marathoners in history squared off in Berlin and some sprinters ran really fast in Shanghai. We break it all down for you and tell you why Ryan Hall most certainly is NOT the favorite for NYC and tell you how 9.69 is not
as fast as 9.71.
*LRC: Ryan Hall Looking Good For New York
*Recommended Read: Candid And Unbelievably Interesting Interview With Brad Hudson
*Berlin: Gallant Geb Goes For It But Bonks Beyond 35k!