Pages: | 1 | 2 |
rojo
co-founder
Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and got hurt 7/13/2013 9:37PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
In the USA, we wouldn't be talking about him beating Bolt as he wouldn't even be going to Moscow. Here you gotta run the final to make it. The kid there runs 9.91 in a semis, doesn't run the final as he felt a cramp and headlines say "Move over Bolt."

I understand why you are excited but I'll take all the money anyone wants to bet that Bolt beats him at Worlds and I'll give you guys 2 to 1 odds.

Email me if you want to bet.
trollism
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and gotten hurt 7/13/2013 6:42PM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

rojo wrote:

In the USA, we wouldn't be talking about him beating Bolt as he wouldn't even be going to Moscow. Here you gotta run the final to make it. The kid there runs 9.91 in a semis, doesn't run the final as he felt a cramp and headlines say "Move over Bolt."

I understand why you are excited but I'll take all the money anyone wants to bet that Bolt beats him at Worlds and I'll give you guys 2 to 1 odds.

Erm, you don't know very much about gambling do you?
lulz
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and gotten hurt 7/13/2013 6:47PM - in reply to trollism Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

trollism wrote:
Erm, you don't know very much about gambling do you?

This guy. I like you.
Are you sure?
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and got hurt 7/14/2013 3:02AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This could be costly RoJo. Imagine Dasaolu by fluke makes it to the final. And then the 'Great One' focuses too much on his clown bs again and false starts... Not that it never happened before. Could be a lot of $$$.
Flunket
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and gotten hurt 7/14/2013 3:43AM - in reply to trollism Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
oh come on, that's just headline writers getting carried away. No self respecting track fan, British or otherwise, thinks Dasaolu has any chance of beating Bolt.

And your odds are ridiculous. 2/1? I wouldn't be interested if you were offering 20/1. Worst bookie ever
wr potential
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and got hurt 7/14/2013 3:48AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Admittedly the press said his time this year was faster than Bolt's (good old general popular BBC reporting), but they declined to say Bolt's was into a significant headwind. More was made of it being the second fastest UK time to Linford Christie.

Dasaolu basically ran a one race final for the time I think, which was costly as the final then got a +1.9m/s headwind and theoretically he could've just broken straight into the 9.8s! Really he should have had sub-10 earlier on this year, as he did do the 10.05 into a -1.3 head wind. So, no doubt Bolt is faster but now he looks like a genuine semi-final/final shout. Similar with Vicaut who just impressed with a 9.95 in the French final.

Much has been made of the picking rules here in the UK, but despite tightening up some of the standards by quite a lot, cutting down the amount of auto picks, it still seems to be mainly down to who the selectors want to pick. In the USAs, it is all on the finals, which has had benefits, but also failures. I'm thinking here of Tyson Gay 2008. I guess it makes sense to have such a system, given the high level of competition in the US. The complexity of the distance selection was entertaining, if bloody hard to follow, and it seems we have something similar here too (excepting the mandatory trials part).

Bolt false starting again - I just can't see happening, unless he is still out of shape and needs a fast start (more likely with Gay back in such form). Dasaolu beating Bolt would be very lolworthy.
Go away Rojo
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and got hurt 7/14/2013 3:55AM - in reply to wr potential Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Rojo,

For a man making his living from the media you really do have very little understanding on how that industry works.

A headline editor does not represent the opinion of 'Brits' - as your own website often uses wildly misleading headlines you should know about this!

You are without doubt one of the most consistently annoying posters on the message board.
gherkin
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and got hurt 7/14/2013 5:18AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think most people are just happy he beat Dwain Chambers.

I know Chambers has said he has learned from his mistakes and so on. It's just hard to clap for someone who has cheated like that.
Joe Binks
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and got hurt 7/14/2013 5:44AM - in reply to gherkin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

gherkin wrote:

I think most people are just happy he beat Dwain Chambers.

I know Chambers has said he has learned from his mistakes and so on. It's just hard to clap for someone who has cheated like that.

I think youll find all the finalists were to be tested - ooops, have I said something wrong?
2to1?
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and got hurt 7/14/2013 6:21AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

rojo wrote:

Why on earth would anyone take 2 to 1 odds? seems like you are more excited about him than the British...
In the gherkin drinking
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and got hurt 7/14/2013 6:25AM - in reply to Joe Binks Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Don't be idiotic. He has been tested recently. UKA anti-doping is one of the best, if not the best, in the world especially with regard to out of competition tests.
webbster8
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and got hurt 7/14/2013 7:41AM - in reply to In the gherkin drinking Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is at least the second "Brits" thread he has started in recent weeks. Kind of weird.
wr potential
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and got hurt 7/14/2013 8:34AM - in reply to Joe Binks Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
And if it was down to UKA, Chambers would be banned from the Olympics, but the UK policy got shot down in flames in the international sporting court. In the UK, doping is really stigmatised and Chambers was training with the BALCO group? otherwise he might not have been able to dope here in the UK. It's even at a societal level and comes down to the notion of fair play.

As Dasaolu pulled out from the final, Chambers is now definitely going to Moscow in the 100m, as he won and has an A standard. So selectors will have to pick the third runner, between Gemili and Harry A-A. I imagine the one not picked for 100m will be on the relay.

Remarkable that he didn't start sprinting seriously until going to Loughborough University, aged 18 in 2005. He really should have been given more experience in previous WCs by now too. But he must have a lot of raw talent, as his physique looks quite slim too and he is softly spoken. By the end of his first proper season he was already at 10.33.
Aj2000
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and got hurt 7/14/2013 10:07AM - in reply to wr potential Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
And America has how many drug cheats now!!
someone had to do it
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and got hurt 7/14/2013 10:16AM - in reply to Aj2000 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
this thread

rofl
wr potential
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and got hurt 7/14/2013 10:18AM - in reply to Aj2000 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is mad, but I guess those who were saying that Tyson had links to proven cheaters (coach Drummond, his uni etc. training partner Mullings etc.) have been proven right. It seems like he was insinuating that he was done without his knowledge at this point. Valerie Adams' homepage quote is very relevant at this point - mad how careful you have to be. When you take out all of the likely cheaters in the shot put (recent e.g. Ostapchuk and probably historical as well) - she is clearly ahead of everyone else in the world by quite a way.
ukathleticscoach
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and got hurt 7/14/2013 11:51AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you get Tyson Gay to give me back the money I had on him for the WC's I will
Farah Fan
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and got hurt 7/14/2013 12:29PM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
First off Rojo, the US has a population 6 times the size of Britains, your point of comparing athletes means nothing. Secondly, your countries best athlete was just found out for doping and your second best athlete has already been banned for doping. Thirdly, what is the point of your selection policies if your best athletes like Ben True don't get selected, well done USA! lastly, FARAH FARAH FARAH
Sprintgeezer
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and got hurt 7/14/2013 12:37PM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
rojo--

You underestimate Dasaolu, if that 9.91 timing and wind were accurate.

He can be on and off, but if he is on, he will be 9.8x-mid under good conditions.

Only a doped Bolt will really challenge that, as he surely will in Moscow.

If Dasaolu is using, or if he uses between now and Moscow, he could very well challenge a mildly-using Bolt.

His semi didn't look like a 9.91, but when he nails his race, he is a real threat. He reminds me of, I think, Fredericks, who as you know went 9.86 into a headwind.
rupp-certified saladbar
RE: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and got hurt 7/17/2013 5:13AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Is it possible that GB's long string of 10.0-10.2 guys, with an apparent 9.9 ceiling, show them to have the cleanest fast program (or the fastest clean program) in the world?

Of three guys selected to the US worlds team, one is a past drug cheat, and one was just busted. Doesn't look good. I'd be pretty happy with a clean 9.91 right now.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |