Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Recently former NYRR member
NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/8/2013 7:59AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I didn't see a thread on this so, from last night's message:

"Time Qualifiers

We regret that there will be limited availability for time qualifiers.
• The overall pool of time qualifiers will be capped at 2,000; time standards and the qualifying window are posted on our website
• Those who qualified during the window in an NYRR race (the 2013 Manhattan Half-Marathon, NYC Half 2012, 2012 Brooklyn Half-Marathon, 2012 Grete's Great Gallop, 2012 More Magazine/Fitness Magazine Women's Half Marathon, or 2012 Staten Island Half-Marathon) will be guaranteed non-complimentary entry
• The remaining time-qualifier spots will be filled by a special random drawing; those not selected will be entered into the general marathon drawing. Specific details for applying will be posted on our website prior to the launch of the general Marathon application/registration"

So instead of limiting the lottery entries, a huge pool of random participants, competitive runners are being screwed. Both groups pay the same entry fee of course.
gjytty
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/8/2013 8:11AM - in reply to Recently former NYRR member Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
this seems like a reflection of where amateur running is going in this country. You know the whole "event" instead of a race where finishing is the only goal and everyone gets a medal. It is odd that they are doing this. Wouldn't they want faster runners? Guess they don't care. I quit caring about races in New York after the cost for their marathon went above $150 bucks. Just a waste.
Sick of this
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/8/2013 8:23AM - in reply to Recently former NYRR member Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Time qualifiers are the most annoying of the hobby joggers. If you want guaranteed entry into a marathon then get yourself into the elite wave or become a famous celebrity that can generate press attention for the event. Mediocrity doesn't deserve any special treatment or reward. Why do you think someone running 2:4x is entitled to anything?
Nutella1
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/8/2013 11:09AM - in reply to Recently former NYRR member Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
With the increased standards I doubt there are even 2000 runners who fullfil the requirements, at least not on the male side.

There simply aren't that many runners between 2:25 and 2:45.

And ho many women are there that run faster than 3:10 and are not considered for the elite field? Maybe 100?

Overall poor decision. Bad publicity when the actual numbers wouldn't really be that much higher than 2000.
nycer 8
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/8/2013 11:12AM - in reply to Recently former NYRR member Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
can you give the NYRR a break on this one? They are facing an unprecedented problem and will not be able to please everyone. They are letting in 2,000 time qualifiers and they will have to let in many people from 2012...you got to let this slide.
&&&&&&&&&&
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/8/2013 11:20AM - in reply to nycer 8 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

nycer 8 wrote:

can you give the NYRR a break on this one? They are facing an unprecedented problem and will not be able to please everyone. They are letting in 2,000 time qualifiers and they will have to let in many people from 2012...you got to let this slide.

Let it slide?, no way the mockery the club and Wittenberg has turned this race into should be given a pass. Someone like Donald trump needs to step and pull this Titanic out of the water.
I probably should have voted
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/8/2013 11:21AM - in reply to Nutella1 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
you are forgetting the old people--they love marathons and have slower standards
xenonscreams
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/8/2013 12:30PM - in reply to gjytty Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

gjytty wrote:

this seems like a reflection of where amateur running is going in this country. You know the whole "event" instead of a race where finishing is the only goal and everyone gets a medal. It is odd that they are doing this. Wouldn't they want faster runners? Guess they don't care. I quit caring about races in New York after the cost for their marathon went above $150 bucks. Just a waste.

My guess:

* Casual runners are more likely to spend lots of money at the expo
* More money spent at the expo means more money for sponsors
* More money for sponsors means happy sponsors means more money for NYRR

Guaranteed entry by qualifying times for non-elite runners will probably not exist by 2015.
Nutella1
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/8/2013 12:46PM - in reply to I probably should have voted Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

I probably should have voted wrote:

you are forgetting the old people--they love marathons and have slower standards

40+ 2:50 is harder than 2:45 at age 28 (prime). By quite a bit in my book.
50+ 3:06. How many over 50yo guys do you know who run that time?
60+ 3:24 still not too many runners I can think of
Father Time
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/8/2013 2:53PM - in reply to Nutella1 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Nutella1 wrote:

With the increased standards I doubt there are even 2000 runners who fullfil the requirements, at least not on the male side.

There simply aren't that many runners between 2:25 and 2:45.

Nutella1 in spot on. Only 247 people finished under 2:45 in 2011.
sfgsf
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/8/2013 2:56PM - in reply to Father Time Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
About 950 people hit those times during the 2011 NYCM
I own a typewriter
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/8/2013 6:15PM - in reply to Father Time Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
246 under 2:45
QQ
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/8/2013 6:28PM - in reply to I probably should have voted Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

I probably should have voted wrote:

What about THE TREES?!?!?!?!?
Nutella1
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/8/2013 6:45PM - in reply to I own a typewriter Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

I own a typewriter wrote:

246 under 2:45

of whom probably around 50 were invited as elite/subelite and would not count towards the 2000 limit.
Another
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/8/2013 6:51PM - in reply to Nutella1 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Should I call the wahmbulance for you. Sounds like an emergency case of wah wah.
DH
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/12/2013 11:30AM - in reply to Recently former NYRR member Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I worked for 3 years to get my half-marathon time down to the then qualifying sub-1:30 by the age of 49. I was looking forward to only having to run sub-1:40 after that. (I plan to run NYC just once, and I wanted to wait till my kids are old enough to enjoy the trip.) Then NYRR tightens the 50+ standard from 1:40 to 1:29. So I have to run a minute faster at 50 than at 49. I just about kill myself, but I do it. Now they’re telling me even that’s not good enough, and I’ll have to go through a random drawing to get in.

If 2013 is too full, why couldn’t they just let 2013 time qualifiers choose to run in 2014?
Ken Osha
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/12/2013 11:36AM - in reply to nycer 8 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

nycer 8 wrote:

+1

This is the correct answer.
drool me this
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/12/2013 11:40AM - in reply to Sick of this Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"Why do you think someone running 2:4x is entitled to anything?"

Because NYC Marathon said so. If the race set that standard and is now renigging on it, well, I'd be a bit perturbed too if I'd qualified and planned on going.
Haffy
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/12/2013 12:59PM - in reply to Nutella1 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What about the half-marathon qualifying times? 1:19 is an easier time to hit than 2:45.
ataglance
RE: NYC Marathon screws time qualifiers 3/12/2013 1:02PM - in reply to Recently former NYRR member Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
lol remember that guy that had the thread about firing wittenburg and how it was going to happen just any day???

What a fool.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |