Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
We are scientist
Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 10:22AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No idea who the fastest scientist is, but I think Daniele Meucci (13:19, 27:32) is the fastest engineer, right?
Confused Office Worker (COW)
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 10:27AM - in reply to We are scientist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Daniel Lincoln either IS or IS ON HIS WAY to becoming a doctor of medicine, which is a scientist. He's pretty fast.
The academic Hobo
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 10:33AM - in reply to Confused Office Worker (COW) Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Confused Office Worker (COW) wrote:

Daniel Lincoln either IS or IS ON HIS WAY to becoming a doctor of medicine, which is a scientist. He's pretty fast.

was pretty fast, lots of former great runners went on to be great scientists, engineers etc.
really
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 11:00AM - in reply to The academic Hobo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
alan turing was a v good marathoner
really
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 11:00AM - in reply to The academic Hobo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
3.87gpa
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 11:00AM - in reply to We are scientist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Aren't most runners scientists or engineers?
PhD
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 11:18AM - in reply to Confused Office Worker (COW) Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
MDs aren't scientists.
We are scientists
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 11:20AM - in reply to We are scientist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah, science is not perfectly defined

Lets go with these two:

Fastest formal scientist (math or cs)

Fastest engineer, who I believe is Meucci?
kdjd
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 11:34AM - in reply to We are scientists Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

We are scientists wrote:

Lets go with these two:

Physics, chem, and bio aren't science?
Not my real name
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 11:36AM - in reply to We are scientists Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A mathematician is not a scientist and a computer "scientist" is most definitely not a scientist. CS is an admirable profession but is isn't in anyway a science. Real science is empirical science like physics, chemistry, biology and their various sub-disciplines like neuroscience.

We are scientists wrote:

Lets go with these two:

Not my real name
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 11:37AM - in reply to kdjd Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
They are science but not formal science. But formal science isn't science.

kdjd wrote:

We are scientists wrote:

Lets go with these two:

Physics, chem, and bio aren't science?
Guppy
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 11:39AM - in reply to We are scientist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Roger Bannister was a neuroscientist and was the fastest miler in the world in his day with his 3:59.4 and later 3:58.8(?) beating Landy.
fair enough
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 11:48AM - in reply to We are scientists Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Tim Hacker does cancer research now, he was pretty beastly back in the day.

1500m 3:34.66 Koblenz (GER) 13.08.1987
Mile 3:55.19 New York (USA) 22.07.1989
3000m 7:43.21 Stockholm (SWE) 03.07.1989
3000m ind. 8:06.11 Madison (USA) 29.01.2000
5000m 13:37.79 Walnut (USA) 19.04.1998
David Wilson
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 12:09PM - in reply to fair enough Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I believe that Andy Baddely studied aerospace engineering at Cambridge.
We are scientists
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 12:26PM - in reply to We are scientist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Lets just forget about science and just focus on searching the fastest engineer

Im gonna check out those names you wrote to see if I can find confirmation that they studied engineering
We are scientists
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 12:34PM - in reply to We are scientists Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So the list of fastest engineers/distance runners would be (olympic distances only):

800 1:46 Baddeley

1500 3:34 Baddeley

5000 13:19 Meucci

10000 27:32 Meucci

Marathon 2:13:49 Meucci

See if you can find someone faster of if this is the definitive list
We are scientists
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 12:37PM - in reply to We are scientists Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
We could do a women list also if someone has info
negativened
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 1:06PM - in reply to We are scientists Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Think Molly Pritz might be a geologist.
SciencishInquisition
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 1:10PM - in reply to really Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

really wrote:

Good call. I agree, but he might not get as much love here for 'only' a 2:45.
Still, he has an interesting marathon time-to-science contribution ratio.
I'm into the history of the founding fathers of algorithms and computer science, and since I'll never be that good of a computer scientist/engineer, I'm trying to beat his marathon time.
SciencishInquisition
RE: Fastest scientist and fastest engineer? 2/10/2013 1:11PM - in reply to We are scientist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
How about Erica Larson for the ladies?
(OT qualifier, but the multiple Pikes Peak marathon/ascent wins seem more impressive to me)
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |