Pages: | 1 | 2 |
imarunr
R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 1:37PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It is with the heaviest of hearts that I announce that Johanna Olson passed away yesterday from her years-long battle with brain cancer.

Most of you probably don't know who Johanna was, so I REALLY encourage you to visit her site below, to get a glimpse of what an incredible person she was and to see how hard she fought a never-ending recurrence of brain cancer.

http://www.savejohannasbrain.com/index.html

While I cannot call her a close friend, I was fortunate enough to get to know her fairly well, and teamed up with her one year at the Couple's Classic 5k race in Eugene. She was as tough a runner as she was in battling her disease. Somewhat recently, I ran into her over in Bend while Lisa and I were there one weekend, and got a chance to reconnect with her.

When you go out to run today, tomorrow or whenever after reading this, I hope you'll dedicate that run to one of THE MOST courageous people I knew - Johanna Olson.

RIP Johanna. It was my pleasure and fortune to have met you.
Tinman
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 2:00PM - in reply to imarunr Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
R.I.P. Ms. Johanna! You will be missed!
What about...
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 2:07PM - in reply to Tinman Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
RIP
chuck e
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 2:11PM - in reply to Tinman Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Wow, that is such a shame. I didn't know this lovely person, but thank you for posting the news and the link. I did read through the whole blog. Seems like she was a very wonderful woman.
Mpls
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 2:35PM - in reply to imarunr Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
An amazing person. Rest in peace, Johanna.
Sadtohear
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 2:39PM - in reply to chuck e Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
To her family and friends, so sorry for your loss. Only new her peripherally and was very inspired by her marathon this past fall.
Name:..:
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 3:45PM - in reply to Sadtohear Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I ran in D3 at the time and was cognizant of her story but until I read this I never realized just how much she dealt with. Nobody should have to endure in a lifetime what Johanna dealt with even before she turned 22. Very sad to see.
The MF Chronic
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 4:20PM - in reply to imarunr Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
R.I.P.
therunnersoul
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 4:25PM - in reply to The MF Chronic Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What a wonderful wonderful person! She will be missed!
rty
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 5:05PM - in reply to therunnersoul Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A terrible disease.
My wife was diagnosed with it 8/26/09
Two years later she got dementia...then the big fancy hospitals dropped her like a hot potato.
She was only 50 years old.
Now even hospice dosen't want her because she lingers and they don't know how long she will linger.
I haven't had a conversation with her since January 2011.
I hope every morning when I check on her that she has joined the ranks of Johanna.
Changing her diapers 5 to 10 times a day leads you to those conclusions as to what is best quantity or quality of life.
I'm sure sorry to hear of Johannas demise. I contributed to her a year or so ago.
GBM is HORRIBLE.....
All the brain cancers are..
ghostofjeffdavis
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 5:18PM - in reply to imarunr Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Go read the blog there if you need a good cry. Made me sad. My mom died of a horrible disease at what seemed like a young age (57), but this woman was just getting started in life. Sad.
gustie nate
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 5:36PM - in reply to ghostofjeffdavis Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So so sad... I had the pleasure of watching her win NCAA D3 cross country after already having brain surgery once. By all accounts she was a better person than runner, and she was a heck of a runner... RIP
ScottAtOSU
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 5:41PM - in reply to gustie nate Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Damn it.

Johanna was an amazing runner and a very sweet person. I had the opportunity to interview her for a magazine article a few years back and she was just a nice, giving person.

Take a run and think a good thought of Johanna.
imarunr
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 6:33PM - in reply to imarunr Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Here is an article on her passing from Runner's World Daily. She was one of THE MOST positive, inspirational people I'd ever met, even through her whole ordeal with cancer.

http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/olympic-marathon-trials-runner-johanna-olson-dies-brain-cancer
dpmrunner
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 6:52PM - in reply to imarunr Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So sad--she and Will Steele--both gone too soon and gave so much to the sport, taught us how to deal with adversity. But so hard to hear these instances of young people like this with so much to offer dying so young!
dazedandnotconfused
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 6:54PM - in reply to imarunr Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
RIP. Seemed like a wonderful human being.
jjjjjjj
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 7:06PM - in reply to imarunr Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
a very sad story and an incredibly courageous young woman.
Norse runner
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/4/2013 8:02PM - in reply to imarunr Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had the incredible fortune to run at Luther while she was there and witness firsthand the courage and determination that she had. Combine that with being one of the nicest people ever and you got one hell of an amazing human being and runner. We'll miss you, Joha!
Barbie
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/5/2013 8:34PM - in reply to Norse runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had the pleasure of knowing Johanna when she was in high school. She and my son traveled to and ran together during the summer in Junior Olympics events. She stole our hearts. One of the greatest young girls we have ever known. The news of her death, even though having not seen her for years tore through my heart. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family. RIP Johanna. You were the amazing.
OXYRUNR
RE: R.I.P. Johanna Olson 3/18/79 1/3/13 1/6/2013 12:54AM - in reply to imarunr Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A friend and I had the good fortune and pleasure to meet Johanna in Bend during the break in the Oly Trials. She impressed us as being a very good person. RIP.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |