Pages: | 1 | 2 |
David Monti.
Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 8:09AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
34th Emerald Nuts Midnight Run
Central Park, NYC (12/31)

MEN -
1. Christian Thompson, NJ-NY Track Club, 18:49
2. Timothy Ritchie, Boston Athletic Association, 18:54
3. Mulugeta Wendimu, West Side Runners (ETH), 19:00
4. Tesfaye Dereje Girma, West Side Runners (ETH), 19:06
5. Liam Boylan-Pett, NJ-NY Track Club, 19:19

WOMEN -
1. Delilah DiCrescenzo, NJ-NY Track Club/Puma, 21:07
2. Frances Koons, New Balance, 21:24
3. Ashley Higginson, NJ-NY Track Club/Saucony, 21:41
4. Renee Tomlin, NJ-NY Track Club, 21:44
5. Nicol Traynor, NJ-NY Track Club, 21:54
alfredmorris
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 8:10AM - in reply to David Monti. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hey Delilah!

4 mile course?
David Monti.
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 8:21AM - in reply to alfredmorris Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

alfredmorris wrote:

4 mile course?

Four-mile loop course with rolling hills and two very sharp turns...
NYCRunner
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 8:44AM - in reply to David Monti. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

David Monti. wrote:

Very sharp turns? What were you drinking last night? The turns don't really slow you down, the rolling hills, yes.
pull er up
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 8:56AM - in reply to David Monti. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is a cool race. I am suprised that a better field can't be assembled?
crazy raisin
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 9:07AM - in reply to pull er up Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

pull er up wrote:

how many pro athletes do you expect to show up for a midnight run?
SMJO
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 9:18AM - in reply to crazy raisin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Isn't the Sao Paulo race a midnight run? Always a good field there.
eb55
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 11:05AM - in reply to pull er up Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

pull er up wrote:

american follower
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 11:21AM - in reply to pull er up Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

pull er up wrote:

I'd rather see a bunch of Americans than no-name Africans.
mcflounder
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 11:21AM - in reply to pull er up Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It is fricken new year's eve, and goes off at midnight, it is for fun.

pull er up wrote:

mrssess obvious
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 12:10PM - in reply to pull er up Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Because the prize money sucks

pull er up wrote:

sdfghjklgchghg
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 12:42PM - in reply to NYCRunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

NYCRunner wrote:

David Monti. wrote:

Very sharp turns? What were you drinking last night? The turns don't really slow you down, the rolling hills, yes.
sharp turns prob cost a sec or so, don't slow you as much as the hills. I'd consider it a pretty straight race if there are only two sharp turns though.
VIPAM
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 4:36PM - in reply to american follower Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No named Africans! WHAT?

3rd place was a 3:31.13 1500m runner who has represented Ethiopia in the Olympics

4th place is a marathoner who may not be Ethiopia's best but is certainly an accomplished marathoner

I'm happy that two Americans were able to compete and beat a talented 1500m/3000m Ethiopian who is still in his prime. Hopeful this is a sign of continued U.S resurgence in 2013!
The Next Surprise
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 5:50PM - in reply to VIPAM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

VIPAM wrote:

No named Africans! WHAT?

3rd place was a 3:31.13 1500m runner who has represented Ethiopia in the Olympics

4th place is a marathoner who may not be Ethiopia's best but is certainly an accomplished marathoner

I'm happy that two Americans were able to compete and beat a talented 1500m/3000m Ethiopian who is still in his prime. Hopeful this is a sign of continued U.S resurgence in 2013!

Ah, Wendimu.... Well keep in mind Wendimu represented Ethopia in the 2004 Olympic Games, and it is now 2013. been 8 and a half years since then, I assume he's not in peak form if he can't hold 2:05 marathon pace for 4 miles?
american follower
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 6:07PM - in reply to VIPAM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

VIPAM wrote:

No named Africans! WHAT?

That's cool YOU know this, but 99.9% of the public has no idea who they are, nor do they care. Americans want to follow Americans- people they can identify with and names they came remember.
race yourself fit
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 6:47PM - in reply to David Monti. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Mr. Monti--

You are currently throwing away an excellent opportunity to recruit athletes. The NYRR have been chasing rather than leading when it comes to recruiting athletes. Sure, you have always fielded excellent fields in the Marathon by throwing more cash at Elite athletes than others. That is great for a one day splash but others have beaten you to the punch. It has become fairly obvious that your NYRR Half Marathon (a great race) is a response to the BAA Half Marathon. The same with your 5k the day prior to the Marathon. It is another copy cat event that was created by the BAA. You have greater resources than anyone and yet you chase instead of lead. Be creative rather than just throw money at athletes and I believe the NYRR can change the sport.

Have a wonderful 2013 and open your mind rather than just the checkbook.
The Answer My Friend
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 7:26PM - in reply to race yourself fit Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The NYC Half is a response to the BAA Half? Is that a joke or something?
Plus, check the respective fields of the two races. The NYC Half's is a gazillion times stronger.
race yourself fit
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/1/2013 7:44PM - in reply to The Answer My Friend Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
YES. The BAA Half came first. The NYRR Half followed. I agree that the NYRR is a far superior race. But the concept began in Boston.

I believe that the NYRR are capable of thinking outside the box and come up with something original that changes the sport. I think they have the money and the venue. Rather than trying to one up others I wish they would CREATE rather than DUPLICATE.
New to the game
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/2/2013 6:45AM - in reply to race yourself fit Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
David and Mary will get lucky every few years because they over pay debut athletes, but they have had far more failures than they have successes when it comes to recruiting for the marathon. They have also destroyed many greedy athletes that have no business running the marathon (most recently Fleshman). The Emerald Nuts New Years Eve Run is simply one more chance to collect cash before the New Year starts.

In defense of the NYRR, IT IS NOT THEIR JOB TO DEVELOP AMERICANS. Their job is to promote the NYRR and create a more powerful brand. They have been very successful in accomplishing this goal. The problem is when some of you believe the talk about helping American distance running. NOT THEIR GOAL. Remember that Americans are simply pawns in helping them to create a bigger brand.
this music huh
RE: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Top Results 1/2/2013 7:20AM - in reply to race yourself fit Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for clearing that up. I never knew the BAA created the half marathon concept.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |