Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |
Citizen Runner
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/30/2012 4:03PM - in reply to ukathleticscoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ukathleticscoach wrote:

He was even more shocking on the bike though. I'm amazed any elite athlete could perform so badly on a sport still endurance based

Farah was trying to push too high a gear on the bike in the first segment and looks awkward spinning at around the 1 minute mark in the clip below. I'd guess he hasn't done much cycling. The guy in yellow (a swimmer apparently) looked to have the best technique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL58MXTo9Wg
Aj2000
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/30/2012 4:17PM - in reply to Citizen Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Lol this is funny, timing was done by pistol starter no false start equipment hooked up! Why would there be its a tv show for fun.

As said mo was not trying and did speed up towards the end a little.

Everyone dips when the run 100 it's the thing to do!

Like I said I was there :-)
Hats too bee shed
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/30/2012 4:32PM - in reply to body master Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

body master wrote:

Absolutely correct. What people fail to realize is that Farah was giving EVERYTHING he had. How fast do you think he should look giving his complete lack of muscle mass and fast twitch fiber? He was really going at it with his arms, and you could visibly see that he was just going no where despite all his efforts.

I seriously doubt he can run under 50 seconds. No f*ing way. He's too slow, too lean. Muscle is REQUIRED to not only sustain SPEED (not endurance) but also to PRODUCE speed. Farah cannot do either.

May be so for Farah. But Rupp can still do 10.xx from a standing start.
The Next Surprise
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/30/2012 5:26PM - in reply to Aj2000 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Aj2000 wrote:

Lol this is funny, timing was done by pistol starter no false start equipment hooked up! Why would there be its a tv show for fun.

As said mo was not trying and did speed up towards the end a little.

Everyone dips when the run 100 it's the thing to do!

Like I said I was there :-)

Go back and look at the video, Mo is trying he just cant emitt the power needed to go the distance.
tri21
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/30/2012 5:28PM - in reply to Hats too bee shed Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
the brownlees only ran 2.03 in the 800m. you would think they could go fast being olympic gold and bronze medallists, and extremely good runners (both international mountain runners, ali 29.15 10k, johnny inter counties cross country 3rd place i think)
crazy raisin
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/30/2012 5:33PM - in reply to body master Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

body master wrote:
I seriously doubt he can run under 50 seconds. No f*ing way. He's too slow, too lean. Muscle is REQUIRED to not only sustain SPEED (not endurance) but also to PRODUCE speed. Farah cannot do either.
We already know he can sustain a speed of an 11.0 100m dash with a rolling start, from a workout he rain with Rupp. It is a lack of acceleration. He doesn't lose that much ground over the second 50m. 50.0 is not out of his range even if a low-12 100m is.
Smarter Than crazy raisin
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/30/2012 6:33PM - in reply to crazy raisin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

crazy raisin wrote:
We already know he can sustain a speed of an 11.0 100m dash with a rolling start, from a workout he rain with Rupp...

Why do people say things as stupid as this ^ ? Seriously, why? Do you actually believe this nonsense?

Your hard evidence that he can run this mythical 11.0 100m dash is what exactly? Salazar says so? Some poorly videotaped, unmeasured, take-my-word-for-it hand-timed 11.0? Are you freaking serious? Do you have any knowledge of this sport at all? Any whatsoever.

I tell you, it is just embarrassing to see what my fellow runners write on these boards.
deanouk
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/30/2012 7:12PM - in reply to Sprintgeezer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Sprintgeezer wrote:

Hey Vent, do you have any better video links?

Gold, silver, and bronze all had very decent leans at the tape, especially the big man, and Farah!

F'ing A, I love this type of thing. Even if the times are bogus, it gives one an idea of relative speeds. Look at the other times in the race! Was everybody else 75 years old?

And yes, I know that 11.53 is not a particularly fast 100m...but it IS for a guy his size, regardless of how young he is. In fact, it is unbelievable, considering that he doesn't train for the 100m. EITHER there is something anomalous about the race, or he is massively juiced, or both.

I would give him an honest 12.10-12.20 in a real race, which would still be smokingly fast for a guy his size.

Anybody have any more details about the race? And a better vid?

I don't know why you have a problem believing this was a legitimate time and race?

It was run on a proper track using the correct markings. They do have FAT in the UK you know! We did just hold the Olympics, or do you suspect the times there being wrong?
All joking aside, I can assure you that the BBC take the "Superstars" event and brand very seriously. It was a very popular programme in the 70's when I was a kid, with many elite sportsmen taking place. The idea that they hand timed it or stopped the clock at the wrong time is highly unlikely.

I remember an actor, I think his name was Ricky Whittle, running sub 12 in a 100m on tv the other year, something like the Newcastle City event, so to see a professional sportsmen run 11.5 is not that much of a surprise. Yes he is big, but its all solid muscle and sprinting is a lot about explosive power.
I was actually more surprised at how slow Mo was rather than the time of Joshua, who actually hails from my home town.
Holycrapyou'redumb
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/30/2012 7:23PM - in reply to ukathleticscoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ukathleticscoach wrote:

Wrong.12.9 is more like 49 flat pace. The first part of the 100 is slow due to the start. If he maintained his pace he'd be around 49.

Have you ever run. What runner can maintain their 100m pace for 400m. forget the start once you go past 200m you start to slow down..a lot![/quote]

Have you ever run? Or have you shut down that noggin for the holiday season? He said that's 52 pace making a point of how slow it is, not that it is equal to a 52 400 and suggesting he can maintain the pace. Youre commenting on something nobody has said. Youre basically trying to be insulting but just look dumb not being able to understand. Nobody is suggesting you can just maintain a pace for the whole distance.
Sprintgeezer
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/30/2012 8:40PM - in reply to deanouk Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
deanouk--

I got a great laugh from your post, thanks!

Happy New Year!
trollism
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/31/2012 2:11AM - in reply to Sprintgeezer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The starter was Alan Bell, the Olympic starter.

I imagine he knows how to start race ok.
AJ2000
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/31/2012 2:59AM - in reply to trollism Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I dont need to watch the video you fool, unlike you guys who are speculating.... I was actually there!!!

fricking idiots trying to legitimise your own short comings and failing as athletes.

What are your thoughts, well if mo can only run 12;98 and you can run faster then that in high school why aint you as good or win any medals!!!! Fact, he is better then you

Why would you say a Boxer (a power event) with great muscular power and power endurance cant run an 11.x for a 100 which just so happens to be a power event. UK amatuer boxers are the hardest working boxers in the world hence the medals and records
Wannabe Goldbug
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/31/2012 3:12AM - in reply to deanouk Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

deanouk wrote:We did just hold the Olympics, or do you suspect the times there being wrong?

Those Olympics where you mismeasured the hammer throw of Betty Heidler and nearly screwed her out of a medal?
Those Olympics where you mistakenly disqualified the hepathlon silver medaillist?
ventolin^3
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/31/2012 3:17AM - in reply to One_More_Round Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
the full race is here at the start ( but not available worldwide )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pm9nh/Superstars_2012/

it was raining, but it was coming down vertically & commentators jackets weren't puffing about, so i don't think wind was an issue

no one seemed to go before the gun, so i'd say no flyers & acceptable start

mo got as good a start as joshua ( grabarz ahead ) at ~ 10m

however, they just had superb pick-up & ran away for him

from that start & viewing race few times, mo certainly seemed to give it his all

he was not fooling around...
trollism
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/31/2012 4:05AM - in reply to Wannabe Goldbug Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Those Olympics where you mismeasured the hammer throw of Betty Heidler and nearly screwed her out of a medal?
Those Olympics where you mistakenly disqualified the hepathlon silver medaillist?

If those are the worst screw-ups over full Olympic track and field program, I don't think that it's a whole lot to worry about.

Particulaly as the hep one was sorted out within a matter of moments.
Sprintgeezer
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/31/2012 8:38AM - in reply to ventolin^3 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Vent--

Darn it, I can't see that vid.

I accept your word that the start was probably good.

Any info on the actual timing system used and who operated it?

Mo was not fooling around, to his absolute credit. He even kept trying when he was getting smoked by the top 2, which is awesome, and I think his performance was terrific. We all owe him a debt of gratitude.

I agree, just based on my sense of the 400m, that he could run a sub-50-second 400m, but only just. I even accept the possibility that he could not in fact break 50, which would actually be very surprising to me.

Let's say we believe Saladbar that they can do 11-second flying 100's, hand-timed. That means that they are doing around 11.50-second flying 100's. With these guys, their top gear is a top essentially aerobic gear, and there is no reason to suspect that they couldn't keep it up for 300 or 400 meters, IMHO. 3 x 11.50 = 34.50, plus say 14 for the first 100 because they wouldn't be going all out = 48.50, plus another second for maybe some fatigue in the last 100m, = 49.50

So it seems to me either that they can definitely go under 50, all the way to around 48.50, or that Saladbar's timing is totally useless. Or that the 400m speed endurance of these guys isn't as good as I think. Hmmm...
ventolin^3
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/31/2012 12:15PM - in reply to Sprintgeezer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
no way a likely 12-flat/low-12 guy at his peak breaks 50 no matter how great his endurance

a top sprinter who coud run 100 & 400 as good as possible simultaneously woud run maybe 10.00 & 43.75 - 44.25 off same training ( only michael johnson coud definitely have done it, but with lashawn & danny everett close )

that gives a 12.00 - 12.25 a scaled up

52.5 - 53.1

or

53.5 - 54.2

give mo even superior to these guys & i think he's worth something like 1.5s off those at best ( & that looks a lot ), yielding best range of

51.0 - 51.6

nowhere close to sub-50
wineturtle
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/31/2012 12:51PM - in reply to ventolin^3 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Any of you guys see Brian Oldfield sprint?
J.R.
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/31/2012 5:21PM - in reply to ukathleticscoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
12.9 x 43.18/9.58 = 58.14
RRRR
RE: Mo Farah only 12.9 100m time in BBC Superstars Show 12/31/2012 5:33PM - in reply to One_More_Round Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah...um...this guy runs well under 4 minutes for the mile.

Who cares about his 100m time? Seriously. He is good at what he does, and that's it. Good for him.

Mo takes his 12.9 100m speed and laughs at you haters all the way to THE BANK.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |