Im pretty strong
How far will strength get me? 12/28/2012 8:23PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Lately I have been running about 55 miles a week and im feeling stronger than ever! I ran 3x2miles the other day in 13:05, 12:07, and 12:40. The second one got a little crazy but was in no way all out. I was orginaly just pacing someone through the first mile on the last one but i felt so good that i just finished the workout. I went out in 6:26 and finished in 6:14. All these were very relaxed and tempoed. With a Pr of 5:20 from the summer can i run 11:00 minutes for a 2 mile? I have a time trial in a week.
Im pretty strong
RE: How far will strength get me? 12/28/2012 9:17PM - in reply to Im pretty strong Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Bump
JJ Redick
RE: How far will strength get me? 12/28/2012 9:33PM - in reply to Im pretty strong Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Strength is good, but only it doesn't mean much unless you're also buff.
egseg
RE: How far will strength get me? 12/28/2012 9:43PM - in reply to Im pretty strong Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
WTF is strength supposed to mean in the context of running. Strength is usually the ability to lift heavy things or win at arm wrestling.
darrel
RE: How far will strength get me? 12/28/2012 9:46PM - in reply to Im pretty strong Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
1/10
trance dance turn in shawowski
RE: How far will strength get me? 12/29/2012 5:55PM - in reply to Im pretty strong Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Im pretty strong wrote:

Subject: How far will strength get me?

as far and as fast as you need.
TGrant
RE: How far will strength get me? 12/30/2012 11:56PM - in reply to Im pretty strong Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If strength means aerobic endurance to you, then I understand your question. First off, that mileage is certainly going to help you run faster, and have more endurance. But my opinion is that you need to also work on your speed. That 3x2 mile workout would be pretty brutal for myself at the moment, but I could definitely run a 5:0x right now (I'm very speed oriented).

To answer your questions. I think aerobic endurance can get you a long ways in distance running, but also speed is necessary. And I think an 11:00 2 mile is possible in track, just unlikely until later in the season. A 11:00 is two 5:30 miles back to back, which I think will take more than a 5:20 pr.
Wow you are super fast
RE: How far will strength get me? 12/31/2012 12:00AM - in reply to TGrant Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

TGrant wrote:
I could definitely run a 5:0x right now (I'm very speed oriented).

Whoa, you can almost break 5 minutes in the mile? You're right, you are VERY speed oriented!
Lelatu
RE: How far will strength get me? 12/31/2012 2:15AM - in reply to Im pretty strong Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
>Strength

Say goodbye to your 5k time
TGrant
RE: How far will strength get me? 12/31/2012 2:15PM - in reply to Wow you are super fast Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Wow you are super fast wrote:

Whoa, you can almost break 5 minutes in the mile? You're right, you are VERY speed oriented!

Please read the context, I couldn't do his 3x2 mile workout. Or if I could, it would hurt alot. But I could put up a better mile time in the off season, so I was recommending he works on his speed. And yes I am very speed oriented, ran a 4:37 mile with a 17:55 5k pr. Would you like to argue that is more endurance?
Precious Roy
RE: How far will strength get me? 12/31/2012 2:32PM - in reply to TGrant Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Assuming that you are in HS, you have done a good job getting a decent aerobic base built. The conversion into speed is not difficult from there. Sub 11 2 mile is definitely achievable, but do not count on it happening the first try. You may need a few weeks working on extending the specific endurance needed for 1600/3200. But, the aerobic base will make a big difference compared to where you were.
Electric city
RE: How far will strength get me? 12/31/2012 6:20PM - in reply to Precious Roy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I hope your a girl
Im pretty and strong
RE: How far will strength get me? 1/1/2013 7:38AM - in reply to Electric city Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Nope, a squirrel. Red to be exact.
superawesomness
RE: How far will strength get me? 1/1/2013 11:41AM - in reply to Im pretty strong Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I would be quite surprised if you are not able to to run under 11 minutes. That sounds like pretty good training.

One thing I will say though is make sure you don't neglect speed work even at this point in the season. The words of Renato Canova is that you don't lose speed by working on endurance, you lose speed by not working on speed.

So I would suggest throwing in some easier speed work on easy days

examples:
4-5 X 60m-80m steep hill sprints w/ long recovery
6-8 X 50m-100m strides
6 X 200m between mile and 2 mile pace
fartlek of 5 X 1:30 easy and 30sec fast in the middle of a longer run

(probably fartlek would be the best at the moment if you are trying to peak around May or so)
CoachB
RE: How far will strength get me? 1/2/2013 12:13PM - in reply to superawesomness Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

superawesomness wrote:

I would be quite surprised if you are not able to to run under 11 minutes. That sounds like pretty good training.

One thing I will say though is make sure you don't neglect speed work even at this point in the season. The words of Renato Canova is that you don't lose speed by working on endurance, you lose speed by not working on speed.

So I would suggest throwing in some easier speed work on easy days

examples:
4-5 X 60m-80m steep hill sprints w/ long recovery
6-8 X 50m-100m strides
6 X 200m between mile and 2 mile pace
fartlek of 5 X 1:30 easy and 30sec fast in the middle of a longer run

(probably fartlek would be the best at the moment if you are trying to peak around May or so)

^This

I had a guy that had never broken 12 for 2 miles. During the winter before track of his junior year he upped his mileage and did some tempo stuff. He was able to run 2 x 2 miles in 12:30 fairly comfortably. He ended up with a PR of 10:53 for the season. We also did low volume strides / faster stuff 1-2 times per week.

This is more or less the pattern we have been following for the past couple of years during the off season. For what its worth, we had the best male distance program in our county last year (not impressive when you consider the size of the pond).