Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
wejo
co-founder
Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/11/2012 6:16PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
2011 World 1500m champion Jenny Simpson released the following statement on her website, http://www.trackjenny.com/, about leaving coach Juli Benson and switching back to her college coach Mark Wetmore :

"I have enjoyed and will forever appreciate the past three years that I have spent training under the coaching of Juli Benson with her team at the Air Force Academy. I am enormously appreciative of the generosity of both Juli and the Air Force Academy. Their support saw me through a difficult injury in 2010, raised me to the pinnacle of the sport in 2011, and facilitated my second berth on the United States Olympic Team in 2012.

As I continue in my pursuit to be the best athlete I can be I will be moving back to Boulder and continue my career under the coaching of Mark Wetmore and Heather Burroughs. I'm excited about the coming months of training and for my friendships both in Boulder and Colorado Springs." - Jenny Simpson
suzy-qq
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/11/2012 6:48PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is good news. I wish her the best.
coach d
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/11/2012 7:04PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Is Jenny going to have a role with the CU program like Volunteer Assistant or something? Otherwise, track access is going to be interesting.
reer
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/11/2012 7:05PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Damnnnnn, big news. I was just thinking about her the other day and wondered how she would address her sub-par 2012. It's tough b/c, yes, Benson coached her to a World Champs gold, but she also led her through a disastrous 2013. Wetmore really created her though.

I'm curious what's different now than when Simpson first left Wetmore and talked about how he didn't have the time to focus on coaching a professional athlete in addition to a college team.
thinkoutsidethebox
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/11/2012 7:15PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Back to the steeple, or sticking with the 1500?
uyytyj
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/11/2012 7:28PM - in reply to reer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Maybe she got hit with a case of nostalgia watching a couple of Buffs do well in the Steeple?
crazy person
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/11/2012 7:43PM - in reply to uyytyj Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
She just had the right kick on the right day to get that 1500 gold. Nobody predicted that win and she has not been able to duplicate that race ever since.

She had most of her best performances running for Wetmore. Who knows. We'll see.
excuse me
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/11/2012 8:14PM - in reply to crazy person Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I predicted it!!!
so pot is now legal?
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/11/2012 8:19PM - in reply to reer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

reer wrote:

.... but she also led her through a disastrous 2013.

Say what? Do you have a time machine or did I sleep through a year?
Colonel Ellison Onizuka USAF
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/11/2012 8:28PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
JBS is on schedule for another Gold medal at Moscow 2013.
worst poster
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/11/2012 8:29PM - in reply to coach d Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Why?
webfoot
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/11/2012 8:59PM - in reply to Colonel Ellison Onizuka USAF Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Jenny Simpson was WORLD CHAMPION in 2011. She has many more seasons ahead of her with top-10 world rankings at 1500 or steeple.
jx10
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/11/2012 9:51PM - in reply to reer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
She had her career highpoint by winning the WC last year.

The horizon for Simpson, in my predictions, will feature her making it to the finals in Moscow, next year, and just missing podium, in fifth. Lucky thing she gets and automatic.

I think Martinez is the next big deal on the American 1500 female scene and will make podium in Moscow. We shall see.
Go Jenny!
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/11/2012 11:05PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have had the opportunity to meet Jenny Simpson speak. She is very friendly and down-to-earth, and I wish her all the best.

However, it seems to me that coaching a pro would distract Wetmore from his student-athletes. Shouldn't his primary obligation be to the men and women he recruited to run under his coaching?

Maybe I am being naive and college coaches also coaching pros is common, but this strikes me as pretty unfair to the runners at CU.
QTPi
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/11/2012 11:12PM - in reply to Go Jenny! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Go Jenny! wrote:

I have had the opportunity to meet Jenny Simpson speak. She is very friendly and down-to-earth, and I wish her all the best.

However, it seems to me that coaching a pro would distract Wetmore from his student-athletes. Shouldn't his primary obligation be to the men and women he recruited to run under his coaching?

Maybe I am being naive and college coaches also coaching pros is common, but this strikes me as pretty unfair to the runners at CU.

Vin coaches some OTC guys
High Wire
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/11/2012 11:19PM - in reply to Go Jenny! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Clearly, Wetmore has considered the Big Picture in this. I'll trust his take thank you....

Go Jenny! wrote:

Determines
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/12/2012 7:01AM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Since wetmore lost jay Johnson, he realizes having Olympian billy Nelson there to do the grunt work is very effective. However, his personal running has collapsed since making the Olympic team. Also, unlike billy, there is not room for Jenny to be named an actual assistant coach so she is not allowed to train with the team a all.

Could this actually mean Juli might be moving positions?
laundry folder
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/12/2012 7:06AM - in reply to Determines Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Interesting. Maybe Barringer intends to train with Coburn and Kipp once they graduate?
A reality check
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/12/2012 7:16AM - in reply to Determines Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Actually you are wrong, alumni can train with a college team. Look it up in the zillion page long NCAA Manual.

Besides why do you care, it's running. It's a free world, you can run anywhere with anyone you want to. The sport isn't confined to a gym or field with pads or equipment needed.
bleu
RE: Jenny Simpson Moving Back to Boulder to Be Coached by Mark Wetmore 12/12/2012 7:22AM - in reply to Determines Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
She can be a volunteer assistant.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |