Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
Seems like so
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/16/2012 12:12PM - in reply to stats guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

stats guy wrote:

So no one has been the first American and finished further back than the Penn State (Scharsu) and Colgate (Appenheimer) guys?


That's what it is looking like. But it's sometimes hard to tell.

Take Ben Hubers for example. A 13:40 guy who ran high school track in Georgia and recently competed at Indiana. He's Canadian and ran in the Olympic Trials for Canada, but has been in the United States for a long time. Certainly he has been here longer than the "American" Girma Mechesco. Without knowing everyone's individual story, it is really hard to tell if they identify as American or not.
COACH PEE
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/16/2012 6:16PM - in reply to Seems like so Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
How bout Bobby Kennedy winning has a frosh in 88...

Hello! He was a dandy
malmo
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/16/2012 6:44PM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

rojo wrote:

Anyone know what the worse best place has been for top American at NCAAs?


How about this one Rojo -- what's the worst finish by an NCAA champion at Nationals?
KevinM
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/16/2012 6:58PM - in reply to malmo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Rono was last, right?

Rohatinsky was 248th as a frosh (beating 4 guys).
TLW
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/16/2012 6:58PM - in reply to malmo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Didn't Henry Rono finish dead last when he got lost one year?
indirunner
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/16/2012 7:19PM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
In 77 or 78 I believe Larry Cuzzort of Western Ky was the highest finishing American in 10th place; there was an article in Runners World and they spelled his name Cary Cuzzort; that I do remember vividly.
break it up
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/16/2012 7:59PM - in reply to indirunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Cuzzort was 25th in 1979 and 12th in 1980. 1980 he was behind Scharsu and Dan Heikkinen of Michigan. Doesn't show up in the top 40 in 1977 or 1978.
break it up
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/16/2012 8:02PM - in reply to break it up Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He was 50th in 1977.
ivy leaguer
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/16/2012 8:44PM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"Anyone know what the worse best place has been for top American at NCAAs?"

Grammar check please....I would think an Ivy Leaguer would know when to use worst instead of worse...
ivy leaguer too
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/16/2012 8:45PM - in reply to ivy leaguer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Maybe rojo's account has been hacked again...
LetsRun Censorship
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/16/2012 11:27PM - in reply to ivy leaguer too Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ivy leaguer too wrote:

Maybe rojo's account has been hacked again...


I like how the posts pointing out his belligerent racism have been deleted.
rojo
co-founder
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/17/2012 7:26AM - in reply to LetsRun Censorship Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

LetsRun Censorship wrote:


ivy leaguer too wrote:

Maybe rojo's account has been hacked again...


I like how the posts pointing out his belligerent racism have been deleted.


What are you talking about?

We here at LetsRun have gone out our way and spent a ton of money to celebrate the African runners as individuals. We've travelled the globe at great expense to profile them even though our audience is primarily focused on Americans. We've been to Kenya three times in the last five years.

Perhaps you missed our series from Kenya this year:

http://www.letsrun.com/2012/boston-0414.php

That being said, I don't think there is anything wrong with being proud of American, even American born runners and yes I'll say it - white runners.

What is wrong with pointing out and celebrating Chris Solinsky being the first white guy under 27:00?

In all other walks of life, the accomplishments of minorities are celebrated. Why not running? Wes Walker is an anomaly in the NFL. Solinsky in the world of running.
rojo
co-founder
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/17/2012 7:34AM - in reply to Seems like so Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Seems like so wrote:

That's what it is looking like. But it's sometimes hard to tell.

Take Ben Hubers for example. A 13:40 guy who ran high school track in Georgia and recently competed at Indiana. He's Canadian and ran in the Olympic Trials for Canada, but has been in the United States for a long time. Certainly he has been here longer than the "American" Girma Mechesco. Without knowing everyone's individual story, it is really hard to tell if they identify as American or not.


Not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that a guy who ran for Canada in the Olympic Trials is more American than an American citizen who ran in the US Olympic Trials like Mecheso simply because Mecheso was born in Africa?

That is ridiculous if it's what you are saying.

Most immigrants have remarkable stories.

I suggest you read a 4-part series on Mecheso/Manilafasha:

http://www.stwnewspress.com/osusports/x546372740/A-refugees-story-Theres-no-time

http://www.stwnewspress.com/osusports/x546372770/A-refugee-s-story-The-longest-day

http://www.stwnewspress.com/osusports/x546372884/A-refugee-s-story-The-way-out

http://www.stwnewspress.com/sports/x546372844/A-refugee-s-story-Making-the-change

Why can't people grow and brain and celebrate all the amazing stories we have in running? The African, the immigrant, the white, the black, the Hispanic?

The world is a melting point - so is the world of running. One of the appeals of the sport to me is that it's universal and basic.
canadia
RE: What\'s the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/17/2012 7:36AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Um FIRST! Elmore Banton won the whole thing in 1964 for Ohio University. He is from Canton or somewhere in East Bumville Ohio... and it was still when it was 4 miles, not 10k, but who cares. He won. Answer to the trivia question is ONE! :)
Mike Huckabee
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/17/2012 7:42AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

rojo wrote:


LetsRun Censorship wrote:


ivy leaguer too wrote:

Maybe rojo's account has been hacked again...


I like how the posts pointing out his belligerent racism have been deleted.


What are you talking about?

We here at LetsRun have gone out our way and spent a ton of money to celebrate the African runners as individuals. We've travelled the globe at great expense to profile them even though our audience is primarily focused on Americans. We've been to Kenya three times in the last five years.

Perhaps you missed our series from Kenya this year:

http://www.letsrun.com/2012/boston-0414.php

That being said, I don't think there is anything wrong with being proud of American, even American born runners and yes I'll say it - white runners.

What is wrong with pointing out and celebrating Chris Solinsky being the first white guy under 27:00?

In all other walks of life, the accomplishments of minorities are celebrated. Why not running? Wes Walker is an anomaly in the NFL. Solinsky in the world of running.



Your thread carries and xenophobic undertone, implying that foreign runners are "ruining" college XC. Intended or not (I think it was intended), you were baiting other xenophobes to come complain about American colleges allowing foreigners into this great nation.
Wes Walker lol
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/17/2012 8:23AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

rojo wrote:


What are you talking about?

We here at LetsRun have gone out our way and spent a ton of money to celebrate the African runners as individuals. We've travelled the globe at great expense to profile them even though our audience is primarily focused on Americans. We've been to Kenya three times in the last five years.

Perhaps you missed our series from Kenya this year:

http://www.letsrun.com/2012/boston-0414.php

That being said, I don't think there is anything wrong with being proud of American, even American born runners and yes I'll say it - white runners.

What is wrong with pointing out and celebrating Chris Solinsky being the first white guy under 27:00?

In all other walks of life, the accomplishments of minorities are celebrated. Why not running? Wes Walker is an anomaly in the NFL. Solinsky in the world of running.


I'm not racist, I know loads of black people.

I jest, I jest. Of course this is a legitimate question. You shouldn't feel the need to explain yourself to the idiots on here.

I wonder if we will see the most different nationalities to make the top 50?

Kenyan
American
British - Goose
Irish - Rooney
Czech - Zivec
Canadian - Ahmed
Jamican - Campbell
Australian - McEntee
Ghost of Werners ghost
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/17/2012 10:28AM - in reply to bilbao Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
1980 Alan Scharsu Penn State 7th

1981 ALan Scharsu Penn State 6th

Who was Alan Scharsu? I consider myself pretty educated in NCAA T&F/XC, but I've never heard of the guy.[/quote]

High school stud. Did well at NCAA Cross albeit during 2 of the weakest years. Totally washed out in track.[/quote]

Two of the weakest years??? Those years (mid 70s to the early 80s) were probably the most talent laden from a US standpoint and over-aged Kenyan stacked period in college XC and distance running. Lawi Lalang is nowhere near as good as Rono, Kimowbwa, Nyambui, Ngeno and the rest of the WSU, UTEP juggernauts.

You're the opposite of pretty educated.
Seems like so
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/17/2012 10:56AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That is not at all close to what I am saying. I was responding to the question of if we knew the lowest American finishers at nationals.

I was saying it is hard to tell. It would be difficult to go back and look through results and determine if a runner was American or not, even if you knew he competed in an American HS. My example (Hubers) was meant to show that it would be easy to assume he is American (lets face it he's white, ran middle and hs track in Georgia, and talks without an accent) and make a mistake for the purposes of this thread - determining the lowest finishing American runner at NCAAs.

So before you ask why I can't grow up and have a brain, maybe you can work on your reading skills.
aloha warrior
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/17/2012 5:45PM - in reply to TLW Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

TLW wrote:

Didn't Henry Rono finish dead last when he got lost one year?
http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/images/stories/NCAA_XC_PDFs/1978-men.pdf
I don't know if he got lost but it certainly was a major choke.
26mi235
RE: What's the lowest the top American at NCAA XC has ever finished? 11/17/2012 7:30PM - in reply to Seems like so Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Seems like so wrote:

That is not at all close to what I am saying. I was responding to the question of if we knew the lowest American finishers at nationals.

I was saying it is hard to tell. It would be difficult to go back and look through results and determine if a runner was American or not,


Track and Field News typically denotes foreigners with a '. I do not know if they have it in their aggregate complilations, but it would be in the individual results. On the other hand, you might check with the two Pomona guys who have compiled a lot of NCAA cross results. One, the secondary contributor, is Sieg Linstrom, the (managing?) editor (not gh, who would have had a ' a that point in time;>) ).
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |