Run Like a Duck
Feet Splay out when running - exercises to bring footplant in? 1/29/2012 11:57AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So when I run, my feet are always at an angle to the rest of my leg. Footplant is also at an angle. So I run like a duck, with my feet always out at an angle.

I never get hurt, and have been running for +10yrs. But, I can't help feeling that if I straightened my footplant,I would be more efficient/faster.

Anybody ever corrected this? Any exercises that can strengthen mucles to pull my foot inwards through the stride and footplant?
read what you wrote
RE: Feet Splay out when running - exercises to bring footplant in? 1/29/2012 12:07PM - in reply to Run Like a Duck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Run Like a Duck wrote:

I never get hurt, and have been running for +10yrs.

Therefore...
Run Like a Duck
RE: Feet Splay out when running - exercises to bring footplant in? 1/29/2012 12:21PM - in reply to read what you wrote Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Run Like a Duck wrote:

I never get hurt, and have been running for +10yrs.

read what you wrote wrote:
Therefore...

But, I can't help feeling that if I straightened my footplant,I would be more efficient/faster.
i am aware that changing my stride incurs a risk of injury.
Lemon Harangue
RE: Feet Splay out when running - exercises to bring footplant in? 1/29/2012 12:37PM - in reply to Run Like a Duck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
As suggested above, if you're running healthy for 10+ years I would hesitate changing much. Just throw in some form drills a few times a week and don't over think it. Everyone runs differently; there's no true "right way" to run.

This should get you started. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULwtgZA5wAE
read what you wrote
RE: Feet Splay out when running - exercises to bring footplant in? 1/29/2012 2:16PM - in reply to Run Like a Duck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Run Like a Duck wrote:
But, I can't help feeling that if I straightened my footplant,I would be more efficient/faster.
i am aware that changing my stride incurs a risk of injury.

I can't help feeling that you're looking for an excuse not to train harder or smarter. If you want to get more efficient/faster you can do that by running. There's no "perfect running form" that suddenly makes you efficient or faster. If you want to look pretty put on some makeup and go get the hairdresser to give you an updo.

You will get faster if you put together the right training at the right intensities, and avoid injury so you can do it consistently over a long period of time. How you look while doing it does not matter.
Run Like a Duck
RE: Feet Splay out when running - exercises to bring footplant in? 1/29/2012 2:23PM - in reply to read what you wrote Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

read what you wrote wrote:How you look while doing it does not matter.

I look pretty GD dorky.

I appreciate your advice.
barefoot marathoner
RE: Feet Splay out when running - exercises to bring footplant in? 1/29/2012 2:55PM - in reply to Run Like a Duck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Splayed feet can have a number of different causes - often some sort of tightness or a muscular imbalance. Get a sports massage from someone certified and experienced. They will be able to tell you what you need to work on, and even suggest specific stretches.

I don't know how much or how fast you run, but to have no injuries in 10 years is better than most.
read what you wrote
RE: Feet Splay out when running - exercises to bring footplant in? 1/29/2012 3:11PM - in reply to Run Like a Duck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I hope I didn't sound too critical. I believe there are benefits to fixing some irregularities because you can strengthen yourself in a way that benefits your running. I think splayed feet is a symptom of something else, not a problem in itself.

I did intend to mention that if you feel this is something you absolutely have to correct, even though it's not hurting you, a gait analysis might help you find out if there are weaknesses (e.g. glutes not firing, weak hips, lower back problem, etc.). If there are weaknesses, I'm sure you can get a weight routine from the same people who do the gait analysis, which might help you correct the splayed feet naturally as you get stronger in the weak areas. This might help you avoid some of the injury risk of changing the way you move.