Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
jdsfxzbcs
Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/13/2012 6:53PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0114/1224310245784.html

ATHLETICS: WITH A quite dreadful sense of timing, Athletics Ireland is braced for another doping scandal in Olympic year – and the inevitable repercussions that come with it.

Although the exact details of Martin Fagan’s “adverse analytical finding” have yet to be disclosed, what is certain is that he has a serious case to answer, is facing a two-year ban, and can kiss goodbye to his aspirations of qualifying for the London Olympic marathon.

Editor's note: This post has been edited. The full article is at the link above. Please do not paste full articles on the forums
James Hogue
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/13/2012 7:12PM - in reply to jdsfxzbcs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
wow.
Close to home.
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/13/2012 7:18PM - in reply to jdsfxzbcs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Abdi has been training with Fagan and Sisay, who is another EPO'er.
crazy person
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/13/2012 7:26PM - in reply to Close to home. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Well, that explains it.
bangalangadanga
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/13/2012 8:09PM - in reply to Close to home. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Who does Fagan bring down with this bust? Abdi? McMillian Elite? Providence? Athletics Ireland?
haha yo (cut da check)
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/13/2012 8:25PM - in reply to jdsfxzbcs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I hope this isn't true because Fagan's a good guy. But the A sample could be a false positive and the B sample negative so let's wait & see.
knower of things
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/13/2012 8:30PM - in reply to haha yo (cut da check) Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have spoken to numerous experts in WADA and they all said the false positives were not possible for the EPO test. they test it more than once. only legal reasons and a delay in the test of the B make it possible for the B sample to come clean. Look at Marion Jones. her A tested positive, and then she went through the legal process and the B eventually got tested, and she got off. Only later on because of the Balco scandal she was finally caught. not because of her positive test....
haha yo (cut da check)
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/13/2012 8:50PM - in reply to knower of things Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

knower of things wrote:

I have spoken to numerous experts in WADA and they all said the false positives were not possible for the EPO test. they test it more than once. only legal reasons and a delay in the test of the B make it possible for the B sample to come clean. Look at Marion Jones. her A tested positive, and then she went through the legal process and the B eventually got tested, and she got off. Only later on because of the Balco scandal she was finally caught. not because of her positive test....

OK just wondering because

I believe Bernard Lagat tested positive on an A sample back in 2003 but was negative for the B sample....this was almost 10 years ago though
Pad
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/13/2012 9:03PM - in reply to haha yo (cut da check) Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Martin has admitted his guilt according to Keith Kelly).

It looks like he will not be requesting the B sample get tested. KK has stated that Fagan has never competed on PEDs.
suburbanxcore
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/13/2012 9:20PM - in reply to Pad Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah, Kelly has tweeted a good bit about it, a lot of it back and forth with Bobby Curtis. I liked Fagan a lot, and he was super gracious when I met him last year. This is a shame.
General Mills
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/13/2012 9:20PM - in reply to jdsfxzbcs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Damn those testers!

"Always after me Lucky Charms"
dean moriarty
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/13/2012 9:47PM - in reply to jdsfxzbcs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This hurts. Fagan is a really nice guy. Here's Keith Kelly's tweet to Bobby Curtis:
Keith Kelly @kelrock1977
@BobbbyCurtis no innocence here. He used drugs, and gave himself up. His state of mind was not rational. It's really tough to take.

Total bummer.
Westside
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/13/2012 10:12PM - in reply to dean moriarty Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He deleted his Facebook account earlier this month. Looks like he knew it was coming and didnt want to hear what people would have to say about it.
Left Said Fred
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/13/2012 10:37PM - in reply to knower of things Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

knower of things wrote:

The B doesn't "eventually get tested" There's a designated process for everyone.

False positives can happen. Though I'm doubtful in this case.
Gutted
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/13/2012 11:27PM - in reply to dean moriarty Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is certainly disheartening news. It makes me wonder about the steps that took him to epo.

Ugh.
Champ
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/14/2012 12:16AM - in reply to jdsfxzbcs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I heard this through a friend of a friend 2 years ago about him because they saw the vials in his room and did some research. Surprised it took this long to come out!
Wait a minute
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/14/2012 12:24AM - in reply to Champ Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I thought white runners don' take EPO?
getyefactstrait
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/14/2012 12:25AM - in reply to Gutted Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Fagan has been struggling with injuries and doesn't seem mentally stable. I believe Keith Kelly when he says the guy was not in the right mind.

To suggest Providence College has drug users is dead wrong. Ray Treacy would NEVER tolerate his athletes taking PEDs. If I had to guess I would say Ray is devastated by this news. Also consider Kim Smith trains exclusively at sea level and doesn't use an altitude tent.
SkyRunnnnnahhh
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/14/2012 1:34AM - in reply to jdsfxzbcs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
what's Fagan's twitter handle? does he have one?
pdoconno1
RE: Martin Fagan positive for EPO. 1/14/2012 2:28AM - in reply to James Hogue Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sad News.
Grew up around Mullingar, ran for the Harriers, sad news for Irish running.
As I ran my slow 3 miles in the snow this morning, thought about how many miles Martin has put in his life, sad that all those miles will be tainted by this.
Glad that we are working at keeping our sport clean.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |