Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
My son
8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 1:07PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hi everybody - My 8 year old son just ran a 6'50" mile on the track today. I checked with the Presidential Fitness National standards, and that would put him in the 100th percentile for a boy two years his elder.

I'm not saying my son is the next greatest thing, but what do you all honestly think about how indicative this is of his running future/potential? I'm not going to be the psycho dad who burns his kid out by the time they're 12, but I also want to encourage him as much as possible if he's talented. Right now all he plays is soccer twice a week. When/how should I start spending more time with his running if he enjoys it?

Thanks!
Mr. Obvious
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 1:10PM - in reply to My son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not really indicative of muc of anything that he is a pretty good runner for his age right now. My daughter ran ~7:05-7:10 at that age and had great success early in middle school. She is now in high school and enjoys running for her team but is far from a star. Too many things go into any sort of projection for it to be accurate in any way.
Justhavehimrun4fun
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 1:27PM - in reply to My son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My 9 year old son just ran a 6:12 mile in his track meet yesterday and came in 3rd.

He ran a 6:29 at his last meet last year at age 8 and was smoked by a couple of other kids that were in the 6:05 range. I live in Cali.

Your son could be great but there are a ton of kids naturally faster.
alpha
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 1:36PM - in reply to My son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I ran a 6:28 as an 8 yr. old, it was a race called the Seaside beach mile, Seaside Oregon circa 1971. The race was on the sand and I ran it barefoot, I still remember just about collapsing at the finish.

I trained for about two months to get ready. The cool thing I discovered was that I could clean and jerk 60 lbs. free weight (I probably weighed about 70-75).

I was definitely not a running talent, just applied myself.
I was there
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 1:46PM - in reply to My son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I did a 7:10 on cinder during gym class with basketball shoes and was the chubby kid who was quick with no training. Growing up I was about 2-3 years behind in developement (growth and hormones) as the other kids so I didnt improve like they did. I would say it is indicative of a great physio system but maybe not running. Found my sport in Triathlon esp on the bike. Try lots of sports.
ukathleticscoach
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 1:47PM - in reply to My son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Too young to tell and too young to start formal training
my son
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 1:50PM - in reply to Justhavehimrun4fun Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Wow, those are some fast times... so if your son is running in track meets, does he train with a team or at a school? Also, it's hard to imagine there are kids running 6:05 without at least some kind of formal training.....
former cyo kid
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 2:08PM - in reply to my son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I ran 6:03 when I was 8 (3rd grade track). (CYO - competed against 4th graders that year). My "training" was that I generally ran to and from school and just about everywhere I went.

Went on to run 9:21 (3200) and 4:25 (1600) in HS and 14:30 5k, 30:40 10k in college.
granddad now
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 2:12PM - in reply to my son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My sons are in their 30s now. I checked and the younger one ran 6:21 for the mile at 8. In high school he was about a 9:45 3200, and in college he went about 3:56 for the 1500. Decent but nothing special.
justhavehimrunforfun
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 2:14PM - in reply to my son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He is on the Thousand Oaks Flyers track team (last year he ran on another team). Anyone in the area can join. They are a pretty serious and practice 4 days a week plus the meet. I only let him go 2X a week because there is no point in having him grow up hating running. Track is only 3 months a year. He plays soccer in the fall and basketball in the winter/spring.

He only runs during track season but did break 1 hour at a hilly 10k at age 8. Like I said though, there are a lot faster kids out there but most of them will burn out because their parents push them too hard because they have zero lives of their own. It is sad.
billy joel
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 4:31PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
loled pretty good
i kinda like running
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 4:45PM - in reply to My son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Your son has talent, but how he'll develop is based on a number of things that are hard to predict. Some kids look like stars-in-the-making in middle school, but then turn out to be fairly average high school runners. Some kids suck in middle school, and then kick ass in high school and college.

My sophomore year of high school I had very average, unremarkable speed and only scored a point or two the entire year in outdoor track. By my senior year I was MVP, all-state, held-multiple school records and was recruited to a DI university. My point being, success is hard to predict at a young age. At 8 years old, just let your son have fun, support him, and see what happens.
waitwut
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 7:26PM - in reply to i kinda like running Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The hell is with these times. I ran 8:30 when I was 10...
athletics fan and runner
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 7:51PM - in reply to waitwut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I take my 4 year old for 'runs'. We end up running at his speed for about a block and then looking at frogs for 10 minutes. We then running whatever direction that he wants to go. Basically he is learning that going outside and running around is fun. I would not want a kid that age through age 8 doing anything but having fun when running like that.
mmmhmmmmm
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 8:15PM - in reply to My son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i'd give it time. after seeing children go through the program, its realy hard to determine a future champion at age 8.

lots of people thought jordan hassay wasnt gonna make it at the big level just because how good she was when she was young.
2:20 marathoner, that's right
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 8:20PM - in reply to My son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
as an 8 year old, I ran MULTIPLE sub-6 miles. your kid is dead average to below average. I'd get him some piano lessons.
jjjjjjjjj
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 8:25PM - in reply to athletics fan and runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
that's nothing. When my daughter was not yet two, she would run the whole mile to the park, of course fartlek style, alongside the jogging stroller most days and she continued that until she was almost three and a half, when she began school. I always had the stroller whenever she tired and wanted a push and for the nap but she just loved to run. She's nearly four now and since she started a three day a week school where she is sedentary for a lot of the day, particularly in bad weather, she hasn't wanted to run much at all, though she loved running several kids fun runs this year. I conclude from all this (the general shape produced simply by an active kid's lifestyle prior to school and the shape lost by being in school) that if we want to compete with the Kenyans and we aren't going to have our kids run to school, we need to home school our kids. Schools don't want kids, even at this age, running around their classrooms, squelching their natural energy so as to promote 'discipline.'
noinih
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 8:54PM - in reply to waitwut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

waitwut wrote:

The hell is with these times. I ran 8:30 when I was 10...

No kidding. Ran 29:15 10 in college and don't think I ever ran faster than a 7:30 mile until I was in jr. high.
Phenom Man
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 9:06PM - in reply to noinih Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think over half of these times are fake. I didn't break 7 until junior high, and I'd consider myself an average runner. To think that it is normal to be under 7 minutes as an 8 year old is absurd.
UMSTIAADBIANTOO
RE: 8 yr old - 1 mile time 4/3/2011 9:15PM - in reply to ukathleticscoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ukathleticscoach wrote:

Too young to tell and too young to start formal training

This ^ is the right answer.

Now go home and forget about your son's running for at least 4 years.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |