Pages: | 1 | 2 |
OKOKOK
Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/16/2010 8:26PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There is a Chinese woman at my work that has to be at least 5'10". She is the tallest woman in the office, of about 50 people, only recently learned english and has a math degree from China. She was born and grew up in China. She doesn't wear heals either in the office and is still taller than all of the women who do. I think she doesn't wear heals because if she did she would look like a giant, being taller than most of the men. I honestly believe she was hired because of her height. It was odd when I first saw her because I myself am only a few inches taller and considered myself above average. Its hard to have a discussion with her, which I have to do because of her position, because she stands perfectly straight all throughout the day and I often slouch and its irritating seeing that she is almost my height. What should I do to seem taller? Should I wear lifts in my shoes or stretch a certain way? I think running makes me shorter, but I've heard some say its supposed to make your bones stronger and longer, thus making you taller.


Has anyone else noticed tall Asian women, it seems there shouldn't be that many of them based on the average height in Asian countries, yet I see more and more of them in restaurants and now at work. However I never see comparably tall Asian men, who are that far above average male height. Why is this? Anyone else noticing this too?
OKOKOK
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/16/2010 8:38PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Wendell Gee wrote:

Um, Yao Ming?


There are over 1 billion Chinese. Amazingly, some are tall. Look up normal distributions, means and standard deviations and you'll see there are hundreds of thousands of tall Chinese women.



I have seen thousands of professionals from China when I'm in the airport or walking to work or at lunch. All of the women are nearly as tall as the men. The men seem to average about 5'8" and the women in heals are about the same.

Now, they might be Japanese, or Korean, but likely most of them are Chinese and nearly all of the women are as tall as the men.
the breakdown
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/16/2010 8:39PM - in reply to OKOKOK Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Because some Chinese women are not so Short.

/thread
Frieslander
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/16/2010 8:40PM - in reply to OKOKOK Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Too fight to drunk with you
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/16/2010 8:45PM - in reply to Frieslander Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you keep squinting when you look up, you'll be Chinese, too.
Frieslander
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/16/2010 9:00PM - in reply to Too fight to drunk with you Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Tallest men on Earth are Dutch, averaging over 6'1" and growing.

Next are the Dinaric Alps, a slavic people around Yugoslavia and Croatia, just over 6'0" and also growing.

Scandinavians are next, at 5'11-6' and have topped out and are not growing.

The rest of Europeans and those of European descent average around 5'10".

The rest of the world doesn't even come close, most average 5'8" in the richer non white countries, the average for the rest of world is about 5'7".

Africans and Middle Easterners come close to the averages of Europeans. Asians are shorter.
ming ding xiong
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/16/2010 9:22PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The tallest woman ever was Chinese, Zeng Jinlian from Hunan.

http://www.thetallestman.com/zengjinlian.htm

Very sad story.
JENKEM
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/16/2010 9:24PM - in reply to ming ding xiong Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ming ding xiong wrote:

The tallest woman ever was Chinese, Zeng Jinlian from Hunan.

http://www.thetallestman.com/zengjinlian.htm

Very sad story.




wtf
rooj
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/16/2010 9:38PM - in reply to OKOKOK Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Some useful info here, especially if you scroll down:
http://factsanddetails.com/china.php?itemid=119&catid=4&subcatid=18

As to why the women, specifically, seem as tall as the men:
First, I'm not sure that that's so. Could be--I don't know one way or the other, and haven't seen any reliable stats.
Second, IF there is less sexual dimorphism among the Chinese, it MIGHT be related to lower serum-testosterone levels (on average) among Chinese men.
Third, there are (and, especially, until fairly recently *were*) different cultural norms for tall men and women. When Zhu Jianhua held the world record, commentators remarked on his terrible posture--when he was growing up, taller boys tended to be ostracized. Taller girls, by contrast, tended to be regarded as healthy specimens and were encouraged to stand up straight.
JENKEM
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/16/2010 9:49PM - in reply to rooj Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

rooj wrote:

Some useful info here, especially if you scroll down:
http://factsanddetails.com/china.php?itemid=119&catid=4&subcatid=18

As to why the women, specifically, seem as tall as the men:
First, I'm not sure that that's so. Could be--I don't know one way or the other, and haven't seen any reliable stats.
Second, IF there is less sexual dimorphism among the Chinese, it MIGHT be related to lower serum-testosterone levels (on average) among Chinese men.
Third, there are (and, especially, until fairly recently *were*) different cultural norms for tall men and women. When Zhu Jianhua held the world record, commentators remarked on his terrible posture--when he was growing up, taller boys tended to be ostracized. Taller girls, by contrast, tended to be regarded as healthy specimens and were encouraged to stand up straight.


Wow so they didn't like taller men? WTF kind of people act like that?
rooj
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/16/2010 10:02PM - in reply to JENKEM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

JENKEM wrote:
Wow so they didn't like taller men? WTF kind of people act like that?

Check the link. In the south of China, at least, people would say to tall ("long") men: "You're wasting clothes!"

Similarly, in a country whose people went for decades without enough to eat, bigger guys were probably considered to be "wasting" food.

Finally, during the height of the Mao years, the old proverb "the nail that stands up will be hammered down"--this may have been applied physically, as well.
xxxxxxxxxlsls
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/17/2010 9:52AM - in reply to rooj Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Chinese women are not tall.

She must be half white or something.
Visitor
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/17/2010 10:38AM - in reply to OKOKOK Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Spent some time in Dalian, NE China. Saw quite a few 5'10" women there.
xxxxxxxxxlsls
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/17/2010 11:00AM - in reply to Visitor Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Visitor wrote:

Spent some time in Dalian, NE China. Saw quite a few 5'10" women there.


yeah in heals.
EngrishFunny.com
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/17/2010 11:53AM - in reply to OKOKOK Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
WTF does "in heals" mean?

OKOKOK wrote:


Wendell Gee wrote:

Um, Yao Ming?


There are over 1 billion Chinese. Amazingly, some are tall. Look up normal distributions, means and standard deviations and you'll see there are hundreds of thousands of tall Chinese women.



I have seen thousands of professionals from China when I'm in the airport or walking to work or at lunch. All of the women are nearly as tall as the men. The men seem to average about 5'8" and the women in heals are about the same.

Now, they might be Japanese, or Korean, but likely most of them are Chinese and nearly all of the women are as tall as the men.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/17/2010 11:55AM - in reply to ming ding xiong Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ming ding xiong wrote:

The tallest woman ever was Chinese, Zeng Jinlian from Hunan.

http://www.thetallestman.com/zengjinlian.htm

Very sad story.



How is it "very sad?"
SMJO
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/17/2010 6:13PM - in reply to Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It is actually "heels". However on here "Asyan" is the correct spelling for someone of Chinese ancestry.
ming ding xiong
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/17/2010 8:19PM - in reply to Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot wrote:How is it "very sad?"
She died at 17.
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrun!
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/17/2010 10:06PM - in reply to OKOKOK Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
[quote]OKOKOK wrote:
I honestly believe she was hired because of her height. It was odd when I first saw her because I myself am only a few inches taller and considered myself above average. Its hard to have a discussion with her, which I have to do because of her position, because she stands perfectly straight all throughout the day and I often slouch and its irritating seeing that she is almost my height.


Wow. I think you have self-esteem issues. Get over it.

Unless you're a troll. In which case, I took the bait.
Judy
RE: Why are some Chinese women so Tall? 4/17/2010 11:46PM - in reply to OKOKOK Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Why are some American women so short?Just as stupid a question.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |