hmmmm?
How long does it take to get dark after the actual sunset time? 1/16/2010 2:40PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You know how when the sunset is say.. 5:30, it takes a while longer before it becomes a lot darker? How long does it take? If the sunset is say, 5:15, would it only become pretty dark around 5:30-35?
the answer is
RE: How long does it take to get dark after the actual sunset time? 1/16/2010 2:45PM - in reply to hmmmm? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
30 minutes.
um yeah
RE: How long does it take to get dark after the actual sunset time? 1/16/2010 2:48PM - in reply to hmmmm? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
www.timeanddate.com should tell you for your city
wak9
RE: How long does it take to get dark after the actual sunset time? 1/16/2010 2:52PM - in reply to the answer is Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I second that...you have about 30-35 minutes after actual sunset until its really dark. Sometimes 40, but don't bank on that.
ANVS-6
RE: How long does it take to get dark after the actual sunset time? 1/16/2010 2:53PM - in reply to hmmmm? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
As a military pilot, we used 30 minutes as a rule of thumb, prior to putting on night vision devices. You will find that is close enough for "getting home by dark." However, light levels vary significantly based on moon phases, starlight, man-made lighting in the area and weather.

I love to try to time evening runs to get home just as it's getting dark.
hmmmm?
RE: How long does it take to get dark after the actual sunset time? 1/16/2010 2:56PM - in reply to um yeah Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So my sunrise is 7:21 and sunset is 5:15 but civil twilight says the day is from 6:53 to 5:44.
twilight
RE: How long does it take to get dark after the actual sunset time? 1/16/2010 3:10PM - in reply to ANVS-6 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The further north you are, the longer dusk/dawn last during the summer.

Anchorage, Alaska: 1 hour in winter, 4+ hours in summer (never gets dark).

Key West, Florida: 25 minutes, summer or winter.

http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/anchorage-alaska.html
http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/key-west-florida.html
da Answer
RE: How long does it take to get dark after the actual sunset time? 1/16/2010 3:11PM - in reply to hmmmm? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
26 minutes is the average time between sunset and the end of civil twilight.
twilight
RE: How long does it take to get dark after the actual sunset time? 1/16/2010 3:19PM - in reply to twilight Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I should add that if you are running in a tree lined canyon when the sun sets, it will seem to get dark much faster. I know how long it takes to get dark and not realizing how fast it can get dark in certain situations is something that can spook you.