Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
limping badger
running after hip replacement 3/23/2008 7:27PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm 63 and had a total hip replacement in November of 2006. After surgery I was able to run up to 50 miles/week on a treadmill and only 5 miles/week outdoors. I had to curtail my running after rotator cuff repair in December of 2007, but have now gotten back to 40 miles/week on the treadmill, 30 miles/week on a stationary bike, and 45 minutes of outdoor running once a week. I can only run a short time outdoors until I get hip pain, but I get none on the treadmill at the same speed. I have been lifting weights and stretching for my hip since surgery. Before my shoulder surgery I did a 5K in 27:28 (I had run 22:15 at age 61). What workouts do I need to do to break 27 minutes for 5K?
2:28
RE: running after hip replacement 3/23/2008 7:43PM - in reply to limping badger Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You are running way too much for a sub 27 minute 5K. Maybe if you said you wanted to break a 17 minute 5K but 27 minutes???

Drop back to 25-30 mpw and run 3-4 days a week. Include a tempo day, an interval day and a longer day. If you can't handle tempo and intervals each week do one workout one week and the other the second week and then go again.

Do the intervals at 5K pace.

Do the tempo run (3 miles not including warmup and warmdown) at 10K pace or slower.

Do an 8-10 mile long run once a week.

You can throw in one other day. Maybe 3-4 miles very slow.

If you want do X training but keep it easy.
RunningPT12
RE: running after hip replacement 3/23/2008 7:55PM - in reply to limping badger Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Wow.....I'd be surprised if any orthopod, much less the prosthesis manufacturer, would recommend that you do any running with a total hip. There's a much greater risk of stem fracture and prosthesis loosening with impact activities. At the very least, you'd be accelerating the surface wear on the prosthetic components. Hip revisions are more difficult, less bone stock to work with, blah, blah blah (all the stuff your orthopod has likely already told you).

Saying all of this, running on a treadmill is likely less compressive than running on roads (at least, it is in total knees). If you're determined to run, stick to the mill - I wouldn't run on the roads at all.
brown Berry
RE: running after hip replacement 3/23/2008 9:47PM - in reply to RunningPT12 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You definitely will need a hip revision in future if you keep doing what you are doing. .
I am an anesthesia provider and a runner. I asked multiple surgeons about running and prosthesis(knee / hip). They all agreed that running cause the prosthesis to wear out fast and therefore they dont recommond it because revision is difficult.

With hip surgery the revision is much much more difficult. There can be lost of complications not just involving the hip but cardiac during the surgery due to stress of surgery on cardiovascular system. I have been in couple of really difficult revisions where the bone fractured in the middle of the case (lots of blood loss) and the surgery took greater than 2 hrs longer than it was expected. When you sign a consent for hip revision you are signing for many complications that are rightly justified by surgeon.

I can go on and on and talk about the anesthesia aspect of the hip revision and complications that can arise and risks that can affect your life for ever.
future orthopod
RE: running after hip replacement 3/23/2008 9:53PM - in reply to RunningPT12 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
ssshhh...he's clearly good business.

RunningPT12 wrote:
Wow.....I'd be surprised if any orthopod, much less the prosthesis manufacturer, would recommend that you do any running with a total hip.

really, yeah probably a bad idea. i have a feeling the surgeon may be so happy to have someone who followed through on the rehab and bounced back well that s/he's not checking up on what he's actually doing.

that said, please let us know how long it takes until you need a revision and let your orthopod know so s/he can publish the results.
future orthopod
RE: running after hip replacement 3/23/2008 9:59PM - in reply to future orthopod Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
...oh yeah, and to break 27 minutes in the 5k if you're going to run on it anyway- find a pool and a foam belt and run in the pool as much as you're running on the treadmill now and you should be able to up your heartrate by doing surges or intervals in the pool. make sure you're strengthening your hip muscles, especially your abductors. of course check with your surgeon before doing any of that.
marijuologist
RE: running after hip replacement 3/23/2008 10:59PM - in reply to future orthopod Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Running after a hip replacement is total insanity. Remember that the metal and plastic components of your prosthesis are not equipped with nerves and therefore are not sensitive to pain. Although you don't feel anything, you are slowly but surely wearing away at the implant. Microscopic debris accumulates and irritates the surrounding bone tissue, which results in the eventual failure of the implant. Every time the implant is replaced, the outcome is less successful. So if you hope to remain mobile in your 80s I strongly adivse you to stop running. Is it really worthwhile to compromise your future ability to walk just to run a 27 minute 5K? Another consideration is that, with the economic conditions the way they are, you aren't even assured that you'll be able to get a revision if you need one. You should preserve your hip at all costs. Take up hiking instead. At most you should be gallowalking.
limping badger
RE: running after hip replacement 3/23/2008 11:48PM - in reply to marijuologist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My replacement is a metal-on-metal type, not a ceramic or plastic cup insert, which has been shown to wear less quickly and produces essentially no debris. I am willing to take a chance on having a revision in 10-15 years (if I'm still alive then) to continue my active lifestyle. Thanks for the suggestions of other training I might do (particularly in the pool).
By the way, my surgeon knows of my exercise regimen and has approved it.
mediocre master
RE: running after hip replacement 3/24/2008 12:52AM - in reply to marijuologist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
mj, have had several knee surgeries,arthro ,microfracture, etc.

Would you believe that hiking turned out to be just as stressful as running? Uneven surfaces, craggly paths and worst off the downhills ,were killer to me.

Worst was,I still did not get the endorphin rush of a 3 mile jog compared to a 3 hour hike.

I feel for limping badger. Get more opinions. Though the runnning anesthialogist's advice seems prudent .Good Luck.Defy the odds . Keep us posted.
hipphipp
RE: running after hip replacement 3/24/2008 9:41AM - in reply to mediocre master Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
what do the experts say about running on the metal on metal hips? with these if it goes wrong u r a the same stage as an initial t h r, arent u?
Noz4nuz
RE: running after hip replacement 3/24/2008 9:49AM - in reply to hipphipp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A columnist for the regional mag I edit put out a call last fall for readers to share their joint replacement recovery stories. He was primarily interested in whether former cross-country skiers had been able to do that activity again. The response was overwhelmingly positive.

But few who had been runners before their surgeries reported being able to run again without pain. All of them said their surgeons discouraged them from running.

The full article can be read here:
http://www.silentsports.net/rebounding_abounds.html
threadbear
RE: running after hip replacement 10/12/2008 4:53AM - in reply to Noz4nuz Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Found this thread on the search function. I had a metal-on-metal (Birmingham Hip) replacement earlier this year and am now coming up to my 8 month review with the surgeon. At past meetings he has indicated that I sould be able to run on it.

My intentions would be just to run 3 or 4 times a week, 10 to 15 miles in total. My initial aims would be to be able to run a 7m30s mile and then a 14 minute 3km. I think they should be possible.

Anyone got any advice or personal experience they could post on this? I've searched for forums on this but can't find any.
really old guy
RE: running after hip replacement 10/12/2008 10:39AM - in reply to threadbear Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I would be interested in comments regarding cycling after total hip replacement. Any concerns regarding accelerated wear and tear on the components by riding, say, 20-30 miles a day?
skwilli
RE: running after hip replacement 10/13/2008 2:20PM - in reply to limping badger Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My brother-in-law just had bilateral hip replacement at age 48. He is a former 4:02 miler and formerwinner of a Berwick Marathon diamond (ala Jim Thorpe) among other exploits. His surgeon at Penn says he can run on a treadmill, after his 3 month visit. There are many surgeons saying running can be done on the new ceramic/metal implants, especially if done on a treadmill. He hasn't yet, but sure would like to try.

http://psutafalumnigolf.blogspot.com
joisey
RE: running after hip replacement 10/26/2008 9:23PM - in reply to skwilli Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
RE:Hip Replacement recovery.
I may need a hip replacement on the left side next year.
I have very little hip pain, but the hip joint is almost frozen with very little movement. This is giving me pain in the knee, groin, and ankle.

How soon after surgery were you back on the treadmill?

Although this is a runners group perhaps your experience would assist me.
I am 69 and racewalk 5k but I am still trying to break 30 min. (Difficult to increase speed with restricted hip motion.) Could I be training again in 3 months? Would it be unrealistic to compete 6 months after surgery?
thanx joisey
hilly
RE: running after hip replacement 10/27/2008 7:12AM - in reply to joisey Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Joisey,
I hope that you can avoid a total hip replacement....but if it does become unavoidable I would check out surgeons in your area performing the Direct Anterior Approach.

Using this approach, the surgeon does not detach or split any of the surrounding muscle (they approach the hip via an interval between the muscles). What does this mean for us? A more stable post-operative hip, faster recovery, and usually less leg-length discrepancy. I have heard stories (anecdotal) of people out hiking 7-9 days after surgery.

The golfer Tom Watson just had this procedure performed because he wanted to be able to play tournament golf again quickly.

Where do you live?
joisey
RE: running after hip replacement 10/27/2008 7:42AM - in reply to hilly Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
>>Where do you live?
New Jersey, USA, minutes from Manhattan NY
joisey
RE: running after hip replacement 10/27/2008 7:44AM - in reply to hilly Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
>>Where do you live?
joisey
RE: running after hip replacement 10/27/2008 7:46AM - in reply to hilly Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
>>Where do you live?
hilly
RE: running after hip replacement 10/27/2008 8:59AM - in reply to joisey Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |