dzfvgbsghhjk
Marathon training only on a bike 4/20/2007 8:34AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I just have a couple of quick questions for u. I am starting my training for a marathon. I plan on doing most of the training on a bike. I am looking at riding like 200-250 miles a week. It is six months away so it will end up around like 5K miles total distance. What are your thoughts on this kind of training for such a long run. Should I mix in some running as well. I think I will try and run like 20-30 miles a week as well I dont know how I should go about it. I was just wondering your opinion on it.
Pamela Andersons Left Nipple
RE: Marathon training only on a bike 4/20/2007 8:45AM - in reply to dzfvgbsghhjk Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It won't be pretty. 200-250 is a good chuck of riding, but I found the marathon significantly more difficult than riding a century... and I come from running background. On a six day week of cycling, that would be 5 days at 30 miles with a century as your long day. Besides the lack of running mileage, it is also a substantial comitment of time (about 13 hours vs. 7-8 for 1 hour daily runs + 2 hour long run).

Since few will argue that 1 hour of running is the same as 1 hour of riding, it doesn't seem like you'll be getting in enough miles. My guess is that you'd hit about 18 miles in the marathon and then wish you did a lot more running.
someone who runs
RE: Marathon training only on a bike 4/20/2007 8:45AM - in reply to dzfvgbsghhjk Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Is there some reason keeping you from running? Some injury or something? Because if there is none, of course you should run instead of biking. The way to train for a running race is to run, not to bike
canIsniffyourseat
RE: Marathon training only on a bike 4/20/2007 8:47AM - in reply to dzfvgbsghhjk Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sounds like good training for riding 26.2 miles. If you want to run a marathon, the bad news is, unfortunately, you will have to run. There are some programs out there like the FIRST Program which have you running only (3) days a week with x-training the other days. You may want to look into that.
MarathonMind
RE: Marathon training only on a bike 4/20/2007 8:51AM - in reply to dzfvgbsghhjk Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This will work. You won't run your potential in the marathon, but it will get you to the finish line in decent shape. When you hit 30 MPW running try 2 8 milers and a 14 mile "long run", and then work that up to 20 miles. Try and keep the other runs at 8 if you can so you will be at 36 total. If you can't, than I suppose 2 5's and the 20 will have to do. But be sure to use low gears on the bike and to stand up as much as possible, especially up hills.
Nobby
RE: Marathon training only on a bike 4/20/2007 8:53AM - in reply to dzfvgbsghhjk Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A big part of running a marathon is taking pounding. If your legs are not used poungings, like someone else said, it's not going to be pretty.

In general (there are always some exceptions), someone who goes and runs over 2~3 hours once a week and just whatever during the rest of the week would do better (better, I mean, not always necessarily performance-wise but recovery, enjoyment, all that included) than someone who would train, say, 6 miles every day.
sam w
RE: Marathon training only on a bike 4/20/2007 8:56AM - in reply to Pamela Andersons Left Nipple Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Pamela Andersons Left Nipple wrote:

It won't be pretty. 200-250 is a good chuck of riding, but I found the marathon significantly more difficult than riding a century...

2 points

1st, to the original poster: the 438 lb guy that walked boston in over 9 hours did most all his training on an exercise bike.

2nd, i agree running a marathon is much harder than riding a century. my wife does century rides all the time and would have great trouble covering a half marathon. she certainly could not run it without lots of walking.

in my opinion, to the extent you can even do an equivalency b/t biking and running i think about 5-6 miles on the bike = 1 of running.

when i started running again after a long lay off i decided i would get back into it easy and would start by riding for a few months. i figured it would be easy on the joints, build up some aerobic endurance. even after regularly going 20 miles several times a week when i started running i was in for a HUGE shock.

running and biking a very very different.
AdamLocked
RE: Marathon training only on a bike 4/20/2007 9:17AM - in reply to Nobby Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Nobby wrote:

A big part of running a marathon is taking pounding. If your legs are not used poungings, like someone else said, it's not going to be pretty.

Exactly.
sam w
RE: Marathon training only on a bike 4/20/2007 9:32AM - in reply to Nobby Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Nobby wrote:

great point.
dzfvgbsghhjk
RE: Marathon training only on a bike 4/20/2007 9:42AM - in reply to dzfvgbsghhjk Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for the great advice.